What do bionics look like.

boston100

When u visualize bionics doing stuff in the stories, do u think they look exactly like their sets, with the holes and the pegs? or do you think the sets are just representations of what they actually look like, and you visualize them as more realistic beings without any holes.

Personally i always thing of them just like the sets.

Let me know what you think

Also as a side note, not that bionicle is back, will the BS01 podcast start up again?

Thanks

wearewaiting.gif

As long as there is one bionicle fan out there there is still hope for bionicle to return. Keep faith. Bionicle is amazing.

I see them as more set-like, mostly because I'm not a very big fan of the movie renditions. So, I've managed to block those images from my mind via many years of tedious mental training. 

Edited by The Irrational Rock
  • Upvote 1

bZpOwEr

Set-like, but with obvious gaps filled in. I'm not the biggest fan of the style used in the first three films.

If you want to know if the BS01 Podcast will be starting up again, that'd be a question for the BS01 staff, specifically Swert. If you're that curious, I'd PM him.

tumblr_ng1pw4xLEM1tryxewo1_1280.jpg

Mostly set-based, but with visible mouths and 'eyebrows', and all the gaps filled in.

:r: :e: :g: :i: :t: :n: :u: :i:

Elemental Rahi in Gen2, anyone? A write-up for an initial video for a G2 plot

I really wish everyone would stop trying to play join the dots with Gen 1 and Gen 2 though,it seems there's a couple new threads everyday and often they're duplicates of already existing conversations! Or simply parallel them with a slightly new 'twist'! Gen 2 is NEW, it is NOT Gen 1 and it is NOT a continuation. Outside of the characters we already have I personally don't want to see ANY old characters return. I think it will cheapen the whole experience to those of us familiar with the original line...

I actually try to picture everything in the style of the Templar animations (MNOG, Bohrok episodes, etc.) So set-like, but looser and colorful.

@Bluebir21: Sort of -- "cyborg" usually connotes a being who was originally all organic, but was augmented with mechanical parts. The characters in Bionicle do not match that.

-------------------------------------
bohrok_lol.jpg
Rate The Song Above You

I imagine them quite like the sets, only more metallic (more like how the comics portray them). No mouths, though even if they did have mouths they'd not be on the masks, as masks are removable.

~Bionicle Online Games Guru~
Current Bionicle Sets: 232/250
2001: 23/24 2002: 20/21 2003: 22/22 2004: 22/22 2005: 23/23
2006: 16/22 2007: 22/22 2008: 25/27 2009: 26/26 2010: 4/6
2015: 18/18 2016: 11/17

Sets, absolutely NO facial features. They're masks as others have said. I don't understand how people can accept the movie style 'living masks' How would you feel if your face was on a part of you that could be ripped off by your foes? Think about a mask coming off in set form... Now think about a mask coming off in the movie style... Pretty gross right? That guy can't just put his face back on, he's pretty much screwed now.

Edited by Munty

Check out my Bionicle store on Bricklink here!

> > > Bionic Bricks < < <

Let me know if you can help me find these last few collectibles!

Masks%20footer4_zpspqs4myrt.png

Also looking for WILD KRAATA and a VMKK Yo!!!

I can look past that I think. After all, the cartoons seem to be aimed at the younger audiences I think. Hopefully in time there will be media that is a little more grown up and 'cool' for the teenage fans that the older among us can enjoy as well :P

Question: Are any bionicle characters described as exhibiting facial expressions? If yes, there must be some way for those motions to be seen.

Yes, they wear masks. But, I follow the Movies' lead; the lower part of the mask allows the mouth to be seen behind a mouthpiece(MOL Vakama)/makes room for the mouth(MOL Jaller). The 'eyebrows' are a mobile part of the mask imperfectly replicated on the set.

Edited by Regitnui

:r: :e: :g: :i: :t: :n: :u: :i:

Elemental Rahi in Gen2, anyone? A write-up for an initial video for a G2 plot

I really wish everyone would stop trying to play join the dots with Gen 1 and Gen 2 though,it seems there's a couple new threads everyday and often they're duplicates of already existing conversations! Or simply parallel them with a slightly new 'twist'! Gen 2 is NEW, it is NOT Gen 1 and it is NOT a continuation. Outside of the characters we already have I personally don't want to see ANY old characters return. I think it will cheapen the whole experience to those of us familiar with the original line...

re:masks & faces, if you think of the masks as being adhered magnetically to the being's entire face (which IIRC is how kanohi are stated to work in canon) it's easy to imagine being able to move parts of the mask with parts of your face. Hence, facial expresions.

But they aren't robots, though. So what are they?

They're biomechanical beings.
  • Upvote 1

bohrok_lol.jpg
Rate The Song Above You

I really liked the Miramax movies's rendition so I tend to visualize them based on that. Obviously, I had to adjust for species/peoples not in the movie (i.e Skakdi, Barraki, etc.), but I basically just took their set forms and fleshed them out a bit a organic muscle like in the movies in any exposed area.

With the Spherus Magnans, I disregard TLR entirely (because COME ON! even the Matoran in the beginning look more organic than they do!) and imagine them looking like regular organic sci-fi alien humanoids. I remember a few fanart back in 2009 slightly adjusting the faces to have a somewhat reptilian look, and even a full-body of an Agori without armor. But admittedly sometimes I get lazy and just think of them as sets with a more fleshed out look. :P

re:masks & faces, if you think of the masks as being adhered magnetically to the being's entire face (which IIRC is how kanohi are stated to work in canon) it's easy to imagine being able to move parts of the mask with parts of your face. Hence, facial expresions.

But the masks are single piece aren't they? There are no moving parts in the masks themselves so even if each bit of it was connected to a different facial 'muscle' it still wouldn't create movement, just stop the Toa being able to talk or blink because their face is glued to a solid slab of protodermis :P

I visualise them set style for the most part but made out of metal. I've also always imagined them having hydraulic oil/fluid in place of something like blood since they have the hydraulic motif.

9HYoRY7.pngKayn's Thought: My hiatus of Bionicle has ended

Sets, absolutely NO facial features. They're masks as others have said. I don't understand how people can accept the movie style 'living masks' How would you feel if your face was on a part of you that could be ripped off by your foes? Think about a mask coming off in set form... Now think about a mask coming off in the movie style... Pretty gross right? That guy can't just put his face back on, he's pretty much screwed now.

I like to think that the masks are ALL like Jaller's and Takua's from the Mask of Light movie: the mouth is separate from the mask. Remember when Jaller died and the mask had no mouth? Not to mention Takua's constant dislocation of his. That's how I like to envision the masks.

If we're talking about the actual portrayal of the sets though, I like how 2003's Bionicle: The Game portrayed the sets. They had the 2-finger hands, the same mask/mouth style, good detail (for the graphics), and I loved how the toa mata/nuva looked just like the sets, yet each had personality in design for the game (I think the 2015 Bionicle took much inspiration from the game).

evergrey_l01.gif

Other great bands:

Iron Maiden    Journey    Mercenary    The Unguided    Trivium

Boston    Stratovarius    Symphony X    Epica

I envision them as a mix of the sets and my own unique visual thought-style. They're usually more streamlined and mechanical than set-like, lacking the large pin holes and having more realistic features like metallic coloring for pistons and such.

My style shifts around designs like the ones we got in later years to keep consistency and hold up to my head canons in my mind. For example, Karzhanii still actually looks like Karzhanii in my mind, not exactly like the one we got as a set. When he was mutated he gains some aquatic features in my mind, but keeps a similar look to pre-mutation.