Bionicle Gen2 = Comedy Series?

Recently I've been looking through the new 2015 stuff, and I'm noticing a lot of stuff that seems to indicate that G2's story is supposed to be funny. The stuff that comes to mind most readily is the character bio flaws and Onua crashing down from the sky and landing on a skull spider. (That, and the image that appears to have a bunch of Protectors hiding underground to escape Tahu...but you know.)

So do you think that they are trying to introduce more comedic elements into the story? Do you think this constitutes a departure from Bionicle's serious tone (albeit with some plucky one-liners)? Or am I merely seeing things?

Hey, I'm all for humor, but when it comes to BIONICLE, I don't think they should overdo it. I understand that this year's wave is aimed for the children of today, but there's still a fine line between funny and utterly cheesy. Basically, if they're really gonna have humor be a prominent factor in Gen 2, the humor should really come in small doses. I mean, this reboot needs to live up to Gen 1's name.

mindeth the cobwebs

I think it's still to early to say for sure, but it does seem that 2015 Bionicle will have a less serious tone. For me, I think what will decide if that's a good or a bad thing is the type of humor they go for: if they use cheap laughs and "kiddie" humor, I'll be pretty upset. But if they go for a more subtle approach, I might like it. Though from what I've seen, the first option seems the more likely one, unfortunately.

• Upvote 1

It seems fine to me. I mean, just judging by the cartoon-style I am sure they are going for a more light-hearted approach. But definitely not straight-up a comedy. I'm sure there will be more humour, but its not going to revolve around crazy antics and bad jokes I'm sure.

Also those Protectors are definitely bowing down to Tahu

-NotS

Edited by Nidhiki of the Shadows
  • Upvote 1

tahubanner.jpg

(That, and the image that appears to have a bunch of Protectors hiding underground to escape Tahu...but you know.)

They're pretty obviously bowing.

I don't think this is a departure from the Bionicle I loved, especially MNOG, which was filled with little silly moments, even though there was an overall serious air. I'd say that's definitely the sort of thing we're looking at. There will be humor, and some of it may even end up being forced and cringe-worthy, but I don't think we're losing that serious air. Just looking at Tahu stepping out of the veil of smoke is enough to convince me this isn't pure comedy.

• Upvote 5

The websites to LEGO themes usually always have weird little quirky facts that seem silly. And anyway I'm pretty sure they'll be at least some humor in it, but I doubt it'll revolve solely around comedy. The trailers and such have shown this to be a very balanced theme in terms of tone so far.

• Upvote 2

Although it's true that G1 had an overall "serious" tone (good vs. evil and all that), it had its fair share of comedy, and G2 seems to be following the same path. MNOG had plenty of humor, as I recall. In fact, I distinctly remember a fart joke during the first encounter of the Ta-Matoran with Tahu. On balance, that scene had more humor than the G2 version does (although admittedly we haven't yet seen how the G2 scene plays out fully). 

So no, I don't detect a shift in the underlying presentation of Bionicle G2 thus far. I see the same combination of epic ("serious") scope with light-hearted ("non-serious") fair, and I'm liking it so far.

JRRT 

Edited by Tolkien

It's kinda like the whole 10th/11th/12th doctor thing. The 10th Doctor was serious with a comedic air, the 11th was comedic with a serious air, and the 12th went back to serious with comedic.

It's probably gonna be standard Lego humor. If I see Tahu's arm fall off while swinging his sword, I will be amused.

• Upvote 1

LEGO Republic:

The Valkyrie

The "Christmas Brick"

My BZPRPG Profiles

Now a proud member of The Kanohi Force

76561198041367047.png

While I wouldn't say that they're going for a more comedic approach, it definitely seems more light-hearted. The art style and everything seems to evoke an episodic, Saturday morning cartoon feel, instead of the continuing epic we got from MNOG. I hope people like it for bionicles sake, but as for me....well I'll always have nostalgia I suppose :/

K29vRpU.jpg

REVIEW TOPIC

I see the moment of Onua falling on Skull Spiders as a momentary comedic tension breaker:

Onua bursts into a cave full of spiders, swinging his hammer left and right in an effort to get through. Eventually, the sheer numbers of the Spiders overwhelms him, and they gather before the paralyzed Toa to celebrate. Unfortunately, Onua begins to topple, and with a Mass Oh , the Spiders are crushed under his bulk.

• Upvote 2

:r: :e: :g: :i: :t: :n: :u: :i:

Elemental Rahi in Gen2, anyone? A write-up for an initial video for a G2 plot

I really wish everyone would stop trying to play join the dots with Gen 1 and Gen 2 though,it seems there's a couple new threads everyday and often they're duplicates of already existing conversations! Or simply parallel them with a slightly new 'twist'! Gen 2 is NEW, it is NOT Gen 1 and it is NOT a continuation. Outside of the characters we already have I personally don't want to see ANY old characters return. I think it will cheapen the whole experience to those of us familiar with the original line...

Although it's true that G1 had an overall "serious" tone (good vs. evil and all that), it had its fair share of comedy, and G2 seems to be following the same path. MNOG had plenty of humor, as I recall. In fact, I distinctly remember a fart joke during the first encounter of the Ta-Matoran with Tahu. On balance, that scene had more humor than the G2 version does (although admittedly we haven't yet seen how the G2 scene plays out fully). 

So no, I don't detect a shift in the underlying presentation of Bionicle G2 thus far. I see the same combination of epic ("serious") scope with light-hearted ("non-serious") fair, and I'm liking it so far.

JRRT 

The Mata Nui Online Game was loaded with humor. One of my favorite characters from the game is Taipu, who can basically be considered the Derpy Hooves of BIONICLE. According to Taipu, "A long time ago many rocks fell on my head," which might have something to do with his clumsiness and childlike obliviousness. He greatly admires the boastful Onepu. "Onepu is my best friend in all of Onu-Koro. He is very smart and knows a lot about Ussal Crab racing and fighting Rahi. He is supposed to be digging, too, but he showed me how I can do both our digging at the same time. That's how smart he is!"

The Chronicler's Company was loaded with such hilarious misfits. You also teamed up with Tamaru, the Le-Matoran who was afraid of heights, Macku, whose crush on Hewkii bordered on obsession, Kapura, a slow and serious guardsman who somehow taught himself to teleport, Kopeke, whose shyness made other Ko-Matoran seem like blabbermouths, and Hafu, an egotistical artist utterly convinced of his own creative genius. Check out these characters' bios from the old website and you'll see that it wasn't exactly subtle about these characters' sillier traits.

And let's not forget the Bohrok-Kal webisodes! What could have been an extremely dark storyline (the heroes have been stripped of their powers and are facing some of their most dangerous foes yet!) was offset by lots and lots of humor. Among other slapstick moments, Pewku tackle-hugged Takua, Lewa fell out of a tree, and Pohatu got a bunch of goats magnetized to him.

If anything, the new BIONICLE just seems like it's returning to this more balanced approach that the BIONICLE games and webisodes had in the early years.

Edited by Aanchir
  • Upvote 4

One think I liked a lot about G1 was that it was not always dark and grimy and there was actually quite a bit of humour EVERY year. Be it Toa dynamics, or just an antic by a group of eccentric individuals, Bionicle balanced out its more serious moments with dialogue and situations that were genuinely funny and didn't feel forced (TLR is another story). 

-NotS

• Upvote 1

tahubanner.jpg

Well we don't know what will happen with the G2 Bionicle, but I hope that it will not have the same fate as the Teen Titans with the "Teen Titans Go!", where they make the character the opposite of a good character, have annoying and unfunny joke, and stuff that is repeated over and over and Over And OVER AGAIN that would make you go crazy...           I miss the old Teen Titans  :crying:

Anyway I hope that it will keep the seriousness of it, while still have some comedic elements here and there.

Edited by ShadowWolfHount
  • Upvote 1

:akakunu: My Topics :akakunu:

MOCs: Construct-a-Astronaut

:voyanui: Find Me On :voyanui:

Flickr 10.gif Twitter 10.gif Youtube