The Zune

Alex Humva

Searched the last five pages, found nothing with the Zune specifically, so I figured I'd give a shot at this. Discuss Microsoft's answer to the iPod, the Zune.Me, I'm probably going be getting an HD at Christmas from eBay for cheap; sure, it isn't as good as a iTouch, but it'll do everything I want. Debating between the 32 and 64 gig though; I don't know if it's worth the extra money.

voidstars.png

1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 55 89

"In short, my English Lit friend, living in a mental world of absolute rights and wrongs, may be imagining that because all theories are wrong, the earth may be thought spherical now, but cubical next century, and a hollow icosahedron the next, and a doughnut shape the one after." -Isaac Asimov, responding to a letter he had received saying that scientific certainty was false, The Relativity of Wrong

I love my Zune 120 GB. It's fallen on hard concrete multiple times, the screen cracked, but it kept running.Finally, after three years, a fall on the carpet killed it. So I sent it out to be repaired.They're wonderful little devices, and simple to use.

Edited by Malevolence

69 Days to a Better Body

Days left: 45 | Days completed: 24 | Yesterday: Shoulder's & Glutes - Today's: Triceps - Tomorrow's: Biceps

Miles Completed: 123(+2 Miles) | Today's Time: 1H

8330_s.gif

Exercise time was too bloody hard to fix...forgot to track a few days...sorry.

MOCs: Sah n Dibum - Vehicles Part 1 - Mouldi Pheats - Daleks

Stories: Adventures in the LegoVerse

Interesting Stuff: Shows You're Watching

I used the Zune PC player for a while. It's a great program, but I find it runs poorly on my old system. Switched back to iTunes which runs smoother.If I were you, I'd stick to the 32 GB version. I have about 1000 songs on my 32 GB MP3 player and they only take up 5.5 GBs. So unless you have an enormous digital music collection, you probably don't need much more than 32.

cholslegofursig.png

Latest MOC:

Ol' Dusty

I love my Zune HD 32 GB. I haven't quite filled it up (5 GB used between music, video, BrickCon related maps and podcasts) but I'd love to try to one of these days.If I were you, Alex Humva, I'd get the 32 unless the 64 is on a good sale. You really don't need more than 32 unless you have tons of hours of music.Zune on the PC and 360 are by far much better than the default player those systems come with. I'd recommend it to any Windows user in a heartbeat.

bzpsig2015.png

i roll with a 16 gig zune hd (would've preferred a 32 gig but it wasn't my decision) and i love it. i'm not really an app guy so the lack of apps doesn't bother me. i've pretty much filled it to the brim with music (~1800 songs) which is annoying because i always have to take stuff off before i can add more. i'd say get a 32, it seems to be a good middle groundalso to the people who wonder what separates the zune from the ipod touch - most people will agree that the zune is superior at playing music, but overall the ipod touch has a lot more features than a zune hd does. microsoft's lack of app support really shot the thing in the foot. in the end it's more like a competitor to the nano than the touch, it really can't stand to the touch. i'd take over a nano any day though

nhsYE.jpg

From what I understand, the Zune HD is an epic media player, whereas the Touch is more of a jack of all trades sort of device. The Zune is more a highly polished MP3 player with apps and internet, whereas the Touch is more a dumbed down computer. Or so I understand.That's basically why I want the HD; one, they're cheaper than the Touches I've seen on eBay, and two, I don't really care about a hundred thousand apps or Apple's iTunes. I just want media player with basic functionality with the web, and the Zune HD fits what I want perfectly.

voidstars.png

"In short, my English Lit friend, living in a mental world of absolute rights and wrongs, may be imagining that because all theories are wrong, the earth may be thought spherical now, but cubical next century, and a hollow icosahedron the next, and a doughnut shape the one after." -Isaac Asimov, responding to a letter he had received saying that scientific certainty was false, The Relativity of Wrong

I just downloaded it on my laptop, and it's great. Much better than Windows Media Player/Media Center, and miles better than iTunes, which is always really slow and glitchy for me. Plus Zune player is pretty and iTunes isn't. XPI use an Android for my music (Samsung's Touchwiz/Galaxy player is actually pretty great as far as phone players go), but I'm considering getting a Windows Phone next year... which replaced the Zune, I believe. They don't make them anymore, right?

skiddo.png

I want to THRIVE
Not just survive.

Yeah, the Windows Phone was the Zune's successor; and yeah, they don't make Zunes anymore. That's why I'm going get mine off of eBay, though it does have it's advantages; three year old tech comes cheap. I'll probably score mine for around fifty bucks, not bad for something that cost 300 in 2009.I might go and download the Zune software before I actually get a Zune, if it's possible; I hear good things regarding it.Also, something I've been wondering is did they ever get a dedicated *censored* app? It'd be a shame not to be able to watch the vast majority of web videos.

Edited by Alex Humva

voidstars.png

Right. Does it support HTML 5 though? I hear *censored* has updated their website to be HTML 5 friendly, which would help a good deal.

voidstars.png

Well, that's sad, but oh well, not a real deal breaker. Did it ever get updated to support MKV? As if not, that would mean I'd have to convert half of my videos if I want to put them on there.

voidstars.png

So am I the only one here who (aside from Hazmat) who uses the Zune MP3 player (as in, the only that only does Music, videos, and pictures)?Honestly, I don't think I'll buy an HD until they make them in 120GB size, or until both my 120s are so dead they cannot be repaired. I can't really see myself living with a size that requires constantly removing and replacing content. I like keeping a lot of videos on my zune, so I can always connect it to my television and follow a workout video, relax and watch an episode or two of Doctor Who before I go to bed, etc. And I like the option of having more music on than I can listen to regularly. It's like having little surprises here and there. I dig through the list of artists, catch someone I haven't listened to in a long time, and I get a wonderful moment of re-discovering a beautiful piece of music or more.As for the Zune Software, I honestly will probably use it longer than I use my zune devices. It's wonderful. I love how easy it is to organise everything, and how clean and simple it is to use. I only wish they'd have added the ability for both the Software and the Zune to differentiate Singles, Albums, etc. I'm having to add Album/Single/Mini-Album/Compilation/Live/Remix Album/Remix Single prefixes to all of them so I can keep it organised, and prevent the dreaded "Two different releases got merged together for having the same title".

69 Days to a Better Body

Days left: 45 | Days completed: 24 | Yesterday: Shoulder's & Glutes - Today's: Triceps - Tomorrow's: Biceps

8330_s.gif

I wish they'd make a Mango/Apollo based PMP. I'd be a much happier Swert.To answer a few questions: Zune software can be used with-out- a Zune or Zune Music Pass, and it plays a wide array of video formats (even has a free section of Podcasts, and a way to add more RSS feeds for one; I use it to download BS01's).I do not believe the Zune HD can play MKV, but the Zune Software has a wonderful conversion tool. I use it to sync Red Vs Blue MP4 format to it.Also guys with Zune HD: Best music app I've tested so far is Shuffle By Album. It's amazing how useful that is if you like to rock the whole album of a band, but want a random selection (For example, Dark Side of the Moon; I'd sit there and listen to it in a full selection and move on Nightmare by Avenged Sevenfold, which is trippy in itself).-Sadly- Zune HD has IE6 Compact Edition, so yes it lags behind considerably. This is why I'd dig having Mango/Apollo on a PMP, so I could use that -with- a WP7. *Still gotta get one of those D:*Also, anybody else rocking a Zune Music Pass on here? I feel so alone D:

bzpsig2015.png

Also guys with Zune HD: Best music app I've tested so far is Shuffle By Album. It's amazing how useful that is if you like to rock the whole album of a band, but want a random selection (For example, Dark Side of the Moon; I'd sit there and listen to it in a full selection and move on Nightmare by Avenged Sevenfold, which is trippy in itself).Also, anybody else rocking a Zune Music Pass on here? I feel so alone D:

considering that's about the only music app on there, yeah it's probably the bestyeah, you might be. i never had a use for it because i use... alternative methods to acquire my music #beingapoorkid
nhsYE.jpg

I used similar methods before, but I've moved on. I'm -much- happier with the Zune Pass subscription. New Daughtry album, new Disturbed album, -and- a pile of good music coming soon? And only for $15 a month with unlimited playtime? (I'm on the old pass, everybody else from October on is $10 USD) Oh, and I can stream it from any computer online?Why does -nobody- use this?!

bzpsig2015.png

^I'm in the same boat as well. If I were limited to only music available on the Zune Pass or even the ipod website, I'd have next to nothing to listen to according to what I like to listen to and what's available on them.

69 Days to a Better Body

8330_s.gif

^Have you tried sending it into one of those repair websites?

69 Days to a Better Body

8330_s.gif

the zune is cheaper than an iPod, which is a massive plus. the only gripe i have with it is the fact that its browser doesn't support flash apparently, because Do NOT bypass the filter. -B6 and the like don't work on it. you'd think microsoft would be smart enough to include that.can't beat the free apps though. sure there's barely any and most are mediocre, but they're ALL FREE. also Audiosurf Tilt is amazingly addicting.

Edited by Black Six
This topic so far

If a tree falls in a forest and we're too far away to hear it, did a tree fall?

Vs.

If a tree falls in a forest and we're too far away to hear it trees don't exist and never will.

I wish it wouldn't remove items that are no longer in your library.i had Avatar on mine, but i had to move the file for some reason. When I synced it up again it deleted the movie off my zune.

This topic so far

If a tree falls in a forest and we're too far away to hear it, did a tree fall?

Vs.

If a tree falls in a forest and we're too far away to hear it trees don't exist and never will.

^Erm, it's very easy to set it to not do that.I can't get into it now, because my Zunes are out for repair, but just go into device settings and their should be an option to turn off automatic syncing.

69 Days to a Better Body

8330_s.gif

I have some movies in my Movies library, but they don't show up in the Zune player. If I navigate to them using Windows Explorer then open them using Zune they play, but when I try to watch them -through- Zune it doesn't work. Any way to fix this?

skiddo.png

I want to THRIVE
Not just survive.

AVI are very hit and miss with Zune. Some will work, others won't.

69 Days to a Better Body

8330_s.gif

I roll with a Zune HD I got as a present, and I'm a fan. Do be aware that it is essentially limited to being a media player; there are very few apps available for it, and the internet browser, while serviceable, is far from ideal. If you're just looking for something that'll play your music and videos and look ###### good doing it, then definitely go for it.

Hey: I'm not very active around BZP right now.  However, you can always contact me through PM (I have email notifications set up) and I will reply as soon as I can.

Useful Topics: The Q&A Compendium | The Official RPG Planning Topic
Stories: Fractures | An Aftermath | Three Stories | LSO 2012 Epics: Team Three | The Shadow and the Sea | The Days They Were Needed | Glitches | Transformations | Echoes | The Kaita and the Storyteller | Nui

BZPRPG: Komae · Soraya · Bohrei

Blog: Defendant Lobby no. 42

• 3 weeks later...

Would anyone still suggest these over an iTouch (mostly for music and occasional web browsing)?

If the Kanohi masks are a type of technology and most of the MU citizens are Biomechanical beings then how would a Kanohi mask recognize the difference between a Matoran and a Toa?

Muffin button