How fast can Kadin users fly?

1) Presumably something like a small airplane. There would be serious practical difficulties with going much faster than that, as too much wind resistance buffeting a mask (when that mask is all that's keeping you in the air) is dangerous. Especially if you were to turn your head the wrong way. And that matters since the Kadin has to be moving, and probably just as one basic speed (maybe a small range of speeds), so as not to overlap the Miru too much. So... fast, but not suuuuuper fast.

2) Probably a little faster than a running pace, yeah.

Edited by bonesiii

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

I never thought of the Miru as allowing gliding, just a simple up and down floating. Now with air powers, in Lewa's case, he could summon gusts of air to make him go forward and sustain himself in the air with his Miru. When he got his katanas, it probably became easier to glide a longer period without become a victim of G-Mod ragdoll physics (I would love to see that. :lol: )

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Spherus Magna redo | Tzais-Kuluu  |  Pushing Back The Tide  |  Last Words  |  Black Coronation  | Blue Man Bound | Visions of Thasos   ن

We are all but grey specks in a dark complex before a single white light

Yeah. The whole Kadin/Miru distinction is really small. Sometimes, I head-retcon it so that Lewa and Nuparu both have Kadins/Mirus and that they offer proper flight. Flight is what made Nuparu stand out from other Toa of Earth.

Well, that, and being a very literal Rubber Forehead Alien.

• Upvote 3

LEGO Republic:

The Valkyrie

The "Christmas Brick"

My BZPRPG Profiles

Now a proud member of The Kanohi Force

76561198041367047.png

I'd disagree with most people here, and say as fast as you can move on ground. So basically running speed, but that would tire you out faster than walking speed.

I say this because fling with a kadin is very different to flying in a plane. In a plane, you require a runway to take off and land, and cannot fly vertically (without nose diving or pulling up) or sideways (without turning), but you can fly much faster than rolling along on the ground. I imagine a kadin allows you to float in any direction, as fast as you would be able to as if moving on ground.

You could argue that running isn't as efficient as hovering, and therefore you can fly faster for less energy than running faster, but energy is constantly being drained keeping the user afloat, cancelling it out.

You could argue that running isn't as efficient as hovering, and therefore you can fly faster for less energy than running faster, but energy is constantly being drained keeping the user afloat, cancelling it out.

While that's true, it also says nothing mathematical, so you can't get from that to "about the same speed as running" as a necessity. I think the argument is stronger that it's faster rather than slower (within reason due to the mask versus strong wind problem) to make less of an overlap with the Miru. :) I did say probably just a little faster than running, though.

Also not sure why you bring up the aerodynamic traits of actual airplane flight. Just in case you thought that was relevant to my mention of Kadin being like an airplane, it isn't -- I mean that only in the canon sense, that like an airplane you can't stop midair (as you could with a helicopter), and have to travel forward at speed.

NotS brings up another good mathematical point. So it may actually be closer to actual airplane speed than running. Running is at around 25 mph, while min plane speed is about 65. If you run through a cloud of steam, for example, it would gently move aside, and that's about it. If you tear through it at highway speed, then you might bring it along with you for a ways! In fact it might need to go higher than small aircraft to get those microbes over an even greater distance -- 100 mph or more... Depends IMO on how strong the magnets that hold masks on are.

• Upvote 2

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)