Indirect Reboots?

Banana Gunz

I've noticed that quite a few themes over the years are sort of inspired "reboots" of older themes. They have very similar features and ideas/styles or seem to take place in similar settings/universes. Clarification: For the ones I'm classifying as reboots, I don't mean to say they are direct intentional reboots, but they have shown to have similar elements and are inspired by old theme's core ideas, and have similar character patterns put in by designers that reference the old ones (Ex: Ogel v.s. Doctor Inferno)

Examples of "Reboots":

Alpha Team---> Agents---> Ultra Agents

Rock Raiders---> Power Miners

Dino 2010/Dino Attack---> Dino

Examples of themes that seem to share the same universes:

Knights Kingdom II, Alpha Team, some other Castle themes.

Like, all the space themes.

Power Miners and Atlantis

I'm not 1000% sure about ALL of these and feel free to correct how some of these are related, but for the most part I feel the themes mentioned are connected in some shape or form. Anyways Lego drops little Easter Eggs and such in sets and the Minifigures line, so having themes based on similar ideas isn't something new. If there are any others I missed and have been shown to be connected in some ways, feel free to say so.

I wouldn't consider any of these reboots, really. More just revisiting older concepts and genres. It's not rare for themes to use ideas that have been used in the past, because if the LEGO Group didn't have some reason to think those ideas would work, they probably wouldn't have used them in the first place.

Other examples of themes that have a lot of characteristics in common include Adventurers and Pharaoh's Quest, or Aqua Raiders and Atlantis, or (perhaps the most obvious one to this site) BIONICLE and Hero Factory. But I wouldn't consider Hero Factory a reboot of BIONICLE, indirect or otherwise. A better term might be "spiritual successor".

• Upvote 2

Lol I didn't exactly mean "reboot". I just used that word cause I couldn't particularly think of a better one on the fly. These themes definitely aren't reboots of each other, but for example Dr. Inferno is sort of a remake of Ogel. They're both villainous, are missing a hand, and have a damaged/abnormal eye. It's not exact, but the evil villain mastermind idea is definitely reused and inspired.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Atlantis and Power Miners are definitely in the same universe.

One of the characters from Power Miners is actually seen also working as a diver person in an Atlantis Set or two, and I'm pretty sure it said something about it on the box too.

Yeah, Brains I think! I absolutely crazy love it when Lego does that! Those little recurring characters just make the whole Lego universe more tied together and personal. I'd love to see it happen some other times like with Squidman (5/5 10/10 best Lego character ever)

I think the best themes that carry over are the Kingdom themes because Lego usually uses the same basic color schemes for them.

Yeah, the Kingdom themes have a similar thing to the City theme where they keep on redoing/remaking older sets with newer parts and techniques. There have been so many garbage trucks and castles with a single dragon through the years! :D

• Upvote 2