Set Review: 70780 Protector of Water

70780_Protector_of_Water_Review_teaser.j

We're getting close to the end of our first batch of 2015 Bionicle reviews. Today Forum Assistant Zatth takes a look at 70780 Protector of Water and shares his thoughts on the set. You'll also find a look at Gali's Power-Up mode made using the parts from both sets. How does this protector stack up - does she float to the surface or swim with the fishes? You'll have to continue on to find out!

View the full article

Eh...Definitely my least favorite of the Protectors. The color scheme just seems a bit weird, as well as the build itself. Though, he/she totally looks like a water character will all the transparent blues, if that wasn't obvious enough.

Still gonna pick 'em up for collection's sake.

Nightmare+fuel+dwight+so+i+found+this+gi

Great review, Zatth! I really love the Protector of Water. The mask might be my favorite color combination of all six, even if the Protector of Jungle is my favorite set overall. The weapon is incredibly creative and works great for aquatic poses. The launcher is of course brilliant as always. And the color scheme works a LOT better than I'd ever have expected it to. It's rare for a set to use both Tr. Light Blue and Tr. Blue, but they look great together on this model.

Proportion-wise, the Protector of Water feels a bit more "petite" than the Protector of Jungle, with smaller armor shells on the torso and legs and no armor shells on the arms. I am not bothered by the thickness of the torso — I actually think it adds to the Protectors' cuteness. And it's nice that the designers cared enough to include back armor, unlike the 2004 and 2007 Matoran whose backs felt rather bare and skeletal.

You could make the back less thick by just removing the two pins and 3M Technic beam used to attach the back shell and instead attach the back shell directly to the torso. There isn't any collision, unlike with the larger shells from the Protector of Jungle. But to me it doesn't make a huge difference. I actually slightly prefer the set as it's built in the instructions, because that way the armor sticking off the back balances out the armor sticking off the front, improving the model's looks from side view.

Gali's "Power Up" form is also my favorite of all six of those! All Gali loses are the two shells on her arms and half of her harpoon's handle, which the turbines and blaster more than make up for. It is a definite upgrade, and one that actually brings in new ideas not used in either of the component sets (like the way the Shark Fins are held in each hand to augment the Elemental Torpedo Blaster, or the way the Power Harpoon is strapped to the shoulder).

Thanks so much for the review! I can't wait to find out more about the Protectors' personalities! The sets have plenty of personality of their own, but I mean in terms of character traits, like each Protector's gender and demeanor.

Errm, if I'm honest, I don't like this set. At all. But, as an individual aiming to collect everything, I have no choice but to purchase everything with the word Bionicle strapped to it :P

• Upvote 1

hTeXGIU.png

Also, if you're a resident of the UK and like Bionicle, go ahead and join

us at this awesome Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/BFUK7/

Not my favorite protector, but the weapon and combined weapon alone are enough to solidify my desire to get the blue sets. This may or may not be because the weapon makes me think of Cloral.

OK. That's definitely the reason.

3DS Freind Code: 1693-0634-1082 Name: Joey

I also have Mario Kart 7, Animal Crossing: New Leaf, Pokemon Y and Kid Icarus: Uprising

PM me to add me. 

Steam profile

Click here for the BZP Destiny Group

Great review!

And pardon me if this sounds stupid, but what is the final set left to be reviewed?

"We didn't lose the battle. Today, we just lost the fight." -Lloyd Garmadon
ninjago-green-ninja.jpg
Avid collector of LEGO for many, many years. Feel free to private message me, or email me at greenninjaatcp@gmail.com, and I'll be happy to help. A ninja never quits!

Visit the Mixels Wiki! http://www.mixels.wikia.com

Not my favorite of the Protectors, but I certainly like the parts. The trans-dark blue armor parts are just fantastic, and those turbines.....just gotta let that sink in for a minute......MMMMMMMM.

(pun totally not intended)

Currently Working On: City of the Fallen - Character Building and Script Writing

To Do: City of the Fallen - Voice Acting and Animation, Deathmatch - Character Building and Script Writing

"Wherever you go, you had better be looking over your shoulder - because one day I will be there. And I promise you it will be the last thing you will ever see."
— Lesovikk to Karzahni, Dreams of Destruction

I can't help but feel this review was a bit rushed. Maybe it's just me, but it seemed shorter than most reviews with less ridiculousness.

I actually really like the Protector of Water. If Lego was going for a more feminine build, they totally nailed it with the lack of armor on the shoulders and the smaller armor on the legs (I just hope she actually is a girl, otherwise this is awkward). The color scheme is pretty decent and includes a great variety of parts that any HF builder would love, and that weapon is arguably the most clever of them all. It perfectly fits the water theme and looks pretty good (at least while she's swimming). The combo model is well done and probably my favorite of all of them.

Though the Protector of Water isn't as flashy as, say, the Protector of Earth, and isn't going to be my first choice, I would like to pick her up at some point.

Protector of Water's color scheme is fairly decent, even the turbines' yellow appearance look fine in place. The size of the turbine is just nice IMO (not too big nor too small), so those are definitely some of the highlights of this set.

Another highlight would obviously be the weapon. I like how it resembles a water sled, and also the twin harpoons sticking out from it (let's go hunt some Takea Sharks and Giant Squids! :D ). Together with the turbines, Protector of Water really brings to mind the "aquatic" impression really effectively. While the "sled launcher" certainly limits poseability and movement, it may/should be possible to have the Protector hold his/her sled in one hand thanks to the good 'ol Technic connectors and axles.

As for Power-Up Gali, it appears she's going full-speed underwater! Overall it looks decent, from the "Power-Up Sled" to the turbine additions. Interesting that Gali loses half of the length of her Trident/Spear when she store it on her back, at least the bottom half of the Trident/Spear won't stick out of place below her shoulders. Again, should one desires to have Gali hold her sled in one sled I think that should be possible to pull off.

Edited by Tahtorak ate my house!

Your left brain contains nothing right, while your right brain contains nothing left.

Second-least favorite of the Protectors, after the Protector of Fire (hopefully the review will change my mind on that). That's not to say I don't like the Protector of Water though - the turbines are nice, she looks slender compared to the others, her color scheme is pretty and unique, and her weapon is satisfyingly complex. I just think the other four are nicer.

Thank for the review Zatth, I've enjoyed your enthusiasm in both of your videos!

IetTsFQ.png

Pretty cool set, really liking that weapon. Other than that, pretty standard Protector set. The colour scheme really works for the water setting, and I guess elbows are good? The arms are so small, it's kind of cute, especially since they are unarmoured. Solid. Gali's Power-up form looks pretty good too. Thanks for the review! Can't wait for the final set review for winter 2015!

-NotS

tahubanner.jpg

The turbines on this Protector really give it a very unique look amongst the others that I really like. And its use of the launcher makes it look like a device that would help propel you through the water as well, which works great. Those aspects and its slimmer, more streamlined build really convey a person used to traversing (maybe living in?) the water. It all works as a package wonderfully for me.

My only issue with the Protector of Water is oddly the mask. It's the least interesting to me due to using two blues. Still a great mask design and the transparent/solid blend is still cool, but some other color for a real accent might have been cooler.

~|ET|~

E-T... Phone home.

"He walks among us, but he is not one of us."

My only issue with the Protector of Water is oddly the mask. It's the least interesting to me due to using two blues. Still a great mask design and the transparent/solid blend is still cool, but some other color for a real accent might have been cooler.

If lack of contrast is what bothers you, I'd think the Protector of Jungle's mask would be your least favorite, since it not only uses two green colors, but effectively uses solid and transparent versions of the exact same shade of green. Whereas at least the Protector of Water's mask uses two visibly different shades of blue. Edited by Aanchir
  • Upvote 1

If lack of contrast is what bothers you, I'd think the Protector of Jungle's mask would be your least favorite, since it not only uses two green colors, but effectively uses solid and transparent versions of the exact same shade of green. Whereas at least the Protector of Water's mask uses two visibly different shades of blue.

...It does? :o

I genuinely had no idea that it did. Maybe it's just the lighting in the pictures in the reviews (the ones for the Protector of Water are darker than the Protector of Jungle...), but it looked to be a lighter shade than the solid part... Or maybe it is just that it's lighter than the blue and lets more light through in general that it didn't bother me at first.

But now it does, thanks. :P

~|ET|~

• Upvote 1

E-T... Phone home.

"He walks among us, but he is not one of us."

This set is the most lackluster Protector, imo. This is a bit ironic seeing as how Gali is my favorite design in terms of the new Toa.

I'll still be getting the set though. I'm thinking about grabbing two of this set as well as two Protectors of Fire in order to make a G2 Takua. :smiletakua: The review was well done, btw. Good parts coverage and speed builds are always fun to watch.  :)

Signature Guidelines: Image size may not exceed 250x100 combined or 468x60 combined.