Makuta: Master of the Forge! [BFTGM]

Shadrahk

Hey there everyone!   Soooo the battle for the gold mask has got me pretty pumped!  After a month of building, I'm finally ready to show off my entry.  Allow me to present Makuta: Master of the Forge!

hammerup.jpg

To be honest, I kind of misunderstood the contest theme at first.  I thought the goal was to build THE villain of Bionicle (AKA Makuta), and not just any villain we could think up.  By the time I noticed that the other entries were NOT just a bunch of Makutas, I had already drawn up a bunch of ideas for my Makuta.  Whoops.  I decided to go along with the designs I already had instead of starting from scratch again.  The new Makuta is a mask-maker along with his brother Ekimu, so I tried to give him a "blacksmith" feel with the hammer along with the longer armor around the hips, sort of resembling a smock/apron.  

hammerdown.jpg

Welcome to Makuta's workbench!  In case you couldn't tell, he likes making eeeeeevil masks. 

I wanted him to exude power, strength, and evil-ness without looking like a beast; after all, the Makuta we knew and loved was highly intelligent and laid careful, fiendish plans, attributes that I thought a “beast” look wouldn’t convey properly.  The result was a Makuta without claws, fangs or horns.  

workinchopped.jpg

Being a mask-maker ain't easy, especially when everyone 

keeps telling you that your brother's masks are better.

A gallery with a few more pictures is available here, if you care to look.  

That's all for now!  See you all in the competition!  (Although, I guess we won't even know how the competition is going until the results are announced...  I'll see you all around anyway!)

Shad

Edited by Shadrahk
  • Upvote 10

I'd say your choice to carry through with making Makuta was well worth it.

He looks almost noble and kingly, with the way you designed his armor. I like the smoothness that comes from the CCBS shells, yet you also managed to incorporate many details such as the shoulder spikes (which I adore) and overall custom everything, with good use of system/constraction all around. Not to mention your photography well captures the ominous power he embodies.

And making him less beastly and more upright, like the cunning warrior we met back in the days of old, was a good choice.

I'd safely say this is one of my favourite entries.

OK, I've seen another MoC that looks awesome. I keep wondering how my poor Kuataibo will do with this level of quality floating around. If this were a set, I would buy it. Full stop. That's how much I like this piece.

:r: :e: :g: :i: :t: :n: :u: :i:

Elemental Rahi in Gen2, anyone? A write-up for an initial video for a G2 plot

I really wish everyone would stop trying to play join the dots with Gen 1 and Gen 2 though,it seems there's a couple new threads everyday and often they're duplicates of already existing conversations! Or simply parallel them with a slightly new 'twist'! Gen 2 is NEW, it is NOT Gen 1 and it is NOT a continuation. Outside of the characters we already have I personally don't want to see ANY old characters return. I think it will cheapen the whole experience to those of us familiar with the original line...

If this were a set, I would buy it. Full stop. That's how much I like this piece.

This.  Somehow I get the feeling that even if I'd managed to finish my own entry, it wouldn't have held a candle to what we have here.

It is not for us to decide the fate of angels.

Dominus Temporis, if you're out there, hit me up through one of my contacts.  I've been hoping to get back in touch for a long time now.  (Don't worry, I'm not gonna beg you to bring back MLWTB or something.  :P )

I'm really impressed by the MOC, but almost even more impressed with the photos! It takes skill to make the details pop on a mostly black model like this one! But they really do pop on this model, and every single part of the model (whether BIONICLE, Hero Factory, or System) feels like it belongs.

Nice to see you are still building Shad.

I like this one, the gunmetal scheme is fluid.  I like what you did with the head and the tubing, the weapon is cool and over sized, just the way I like to make em.

I think the legs could be a bit longer, and the hips could be a stud or more narrow in width.  Maybe move up the connection points on the hips a stud or two on the torso.  It looks too low on the torso, the initial look is very good, and the belt you made helps with the aesthetic flow.

The mask rack you have there is straight up awesome.

This is easily some of the best plate-work I've seen, armor-wise.  I can see the smith's apron idea perfectly.  Everything looks sleek and smooth, but with real power and force behind it, just like a well-forged weapon.  The hammer's just plain awesome.  Excellent job!

• Upvote 1

15863836330_7c7ce4fb30.jpg

"And at the closing of the day              

She loosed the chain, and down she lay;              

The broad stream bore her far away,              

The Lady of Shalott."              

+