Do you plan your MOCs?

The 1st Shadow

• 2 weeks later...

It varies. Most of the time, spontaneous ideas centers around simple things like "hey, I've never seen that piece used with that piece" or etc. Usually from there, it snowballs and things just get experimented upon until something cool results. For example, I wanted to see what other torsos besides the Metru one could use the Matoran torso body as armor. I ended up sticking a red one on a Makuta Phantoka torso, and ended up making a simple Sidorak.

Sometimes MOCS start out being centered around one piece. Like Gali Mistika's shoulder spike pads. I said to myself "Yo, this piece is dope. I want something else to use it" (or something along those lines.) All if a sudden, you're constructing something just because you want to use a certain piece a certain way.

Recently though, yes, I have done quite some extensive planning to build specific characters using specific pieces, etc. I have made so many Bricklink trips .-.

What sucks is having an image in your head and not having the pieces available. I was devastated (that's sarcasm, BTW) when I discovered the Inika thigh armor did not come in lime green. I had to make adjustments to fit what substitutions I had. Also, creating Toa and the like and not quite having a mask that fits the character is also a bummer.

Edited by Toa Kohron

• 1 month later...

I start with a basic concept. Then build the gear box first. I learned how to build the new gear box out of old technic pieces. Then I slowly build the body bit-by-bit.

I don't have a lot of pieces, so at most I can make only one MOC. Three without the gearbox. Two if I use the old 2001 bodies.

Not really, I just get a random idea like "hey, lets combine system bricks and CCBS pieces" or "hey, I want more articulation, let's build a new torso!" and use LDD to design it. The former idea didn't turn out well and the latter might need some real life testing.

If you like Pingu & want to support a good project, click here. Also, I've rejoined the BZPRPG & I have a new profile for a new game. Click here to see it.

I think this is the right forum to post this in--move it if I'm wrong. :P

Just something I've been wondering. For all you MOCists out there, do you actually plan out what you want your MOCs to look like? I ask because I saw an entry for the BFTGM earlier, and the member who posted it mentioned having drawn up plans for his MOC ahead of time.

And then there's me: I usually take a single piece (maybe a mask or a weapon or an armor shell) and build out from it to see what I end up with. Other times I just decide upon a color, like I did with my entry for the BFTGM (link in my sig if you want to see what I mean), and then I just build with it until I find something I like.

So, how do you go about this? If you plan them out, how do you do it? Do you just improvise as you go along? I'm curious as to the different methods being put to use out there.

I don't plan.  Planning always fails when it comes to Mocs.  Just go with your imagination.

Edited by Gipsy Danger

A signature is supposed to be this:

Jaeger_Gipsy_Danger_Decal_02.png

and BTW https://screen.yahoo.com/star-trek-convention-000000768.html

I usually start by building an arm or leg that is articulated and detailed.  Then I come up with an image on what it should look like in my mind and I start building. m The funny thing is with that image it always looks different; kind of like when they made Yoda in Star Wars ( http://netdwellers.com/1001/hosting/users/cinesecrets/pmStrySWCreatureIntro.html )

About a month ago I had to start planning for this one build: I had built this awesome, strong, detailed, super articulated leg, and I didn't have enough parts to build a replica (maybe I should check out brick link if there aren't that many parts I need) so I decided to make his other leg a peg leg not what I intended but it works.

Then with my Roodaka revamp I decided to start at the torso instead since I had the parts I needed for it.  I'd say a lot of it depends on the parts you have available for the model.  Planning is a good idea; I should take advantage of that with LDD.

If you don't like people that use their head and stand up to bullies, then you may not like me because I deal with bullies head on!  

I usually have a basic outline in my mind of how I want a MOC to turn out, but I usually just wing it and hope for the best. I sometimes surprise myself.

"Ten thousand futures have I looked at. A hundred thousand. And in only one does mankind finally unite, and flourish...and survive. Only one. Doomworld."

210pxthe_master_doctor_doom.jpg