Least Favorite Aspect of New Sets?

So from the images, videos, etc. of the new Bionicle sets that we've seen, are there any aspects of the sets you aren't looking forward to?

For me, I'd easily say the fact the Toa (save for Onua) are still using those stupid Hero Factory feet...I'm sorry, but I think those feet look awful. I'm ok with the rest of the CCBS stuff, but those feet...grrr...

What about you guys? Anyone unhappy with certain aspects/elements of the new bionicles?

• Upvote 2

evergrey_l01.gif

Other great bands:

Iron Maiden    Journey    Mercenary    The Unguided    Trivium

Boston    Stratovarius    Symphony X    Epica

Tbh, and IMO, I just wish they weren't the Toa Mata(?). I was hoping for Bionicle G2 to have a new set of characters--I guess that's just a minor gripe from me.

But as for my least favorite aspect of the sets, it would have to be the HF clown feet, or the fact they aren't larger then they are now. (Someone on some site said the 3 larger Toa aren't even bigger than the Inika-builds.)

Edited by Toaborox18
  • Upvote 1

Nightmare+fuel+dwight+so+i+found+this+gi

The overuse of gold, and the silly website bios. I wish there wasn't any gold on the Toa except for the masks, but maybe I'll change my mind once I own some of the sets.

I am also very disappointed in the lack of variation of Skill Spiders - just one design and three colors...why??

• Upvote 1

IetTsFQ.png

Stickers... 

Ooh...I have to agree with you on that one!

Tbh, and IMO, I just wish they weren't the Toa Mata(?). I was hoping for Bionicle G2 to have a new set of characters--I guess that's just a minor gripe from me.

I felt that way in 2008...I was upset that Lego was rehashing the same characters for a 3rd time in the story.

However, I think having the original Toa start the reboot is necessary because it's restarting the new story with almost the same origins. Just my opinion though.

evergrey_l01.gif

Other great bands:

I think the way they revamped the gear system really leaves a lot to be desired. They got rid of all the ways the original style worked perfectly, and replaced it with that watered-down mess. Kids today will get nothing like the BIONICLE experience we had. I think it would have been better if they just didn't tamper with the CCBS, to be honest. From what the animations have told us, the new BIONICLE could take some clues from Hero Factory's story, too.

...and Master Inika was never seen or heard from again.

In reality, stickers. Darned stickers.

• Upvote 3

"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your
future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer.
"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Click here to visit my library!

I think the way they revamped the gear system really leaves a lot to be desired. They got rid of all the ways the original style worked perfectly, and replaced it with that watered-down mess. Kids today will get nothing like the BIONICLE experience we had. I think it would have been better if they just didn't tamper with the CCBS, to be honest.

How so? I'm curious to hear more about your opinion.

• Upvote 1

evergrey_l01.gif

Other great bands:

The circles on Gali, Lewa, and to a somewhat lesser extent Onua's masks. They're weird.

Uh, are you talking about the circles where the mouths are supposed to be? Because every single one of the new masks has it. Or are you saying that those are the only ones it looks weird on?

As for me, I have to agree with Master Inika up there on the new gearbox. While it is a cool piece and a neat attempt to add functions to the CCBS system, it looks ridiculous, the way it juts out of their backs and has the arms attach way behind the head. A new torso altogether that fits the gears directly inside the torso armor would have been much better (Trust me, I just finished a MOC based solely on fixing that problem, and it works perfectly). The only one it looks decent on is Onua, due to his size. 

However, LEGO has surprised me before, and I fully expect at least one of the sets (besides Onua) to change my mind on that.

• Upvote 1

~Your friendly, neighborhood Shadow

sotpbanner.png

~Credit for Avatar and Banner goes to

NickonAquaMagna~

The circles on Gali, Lewa, and to a somewhat lesser extent Onua's masks. They're weird.

Uh, are you talking about the circles where the mouths are supposed to be? Because every single one of the new masks has it. Or are you saying that those are the only ones it looks weird on?

I'm aware they all have them, it's just those 3 that it looks strange on.

AXKP5KC.png

I'm aware they all have them, it's just those 3 that it looks strange on.

On Lewa, it looks like a button that's shutting his lips together.

• Upvote 2

mindeth the cobwebs

Stickers.

To add insult to injury, they aren't symmetrical, so if I actually do the sets completely&properly I'll need to put up with that element of it; very frustrating...

The large triangular (Hero Factory[?]) body armour is a horribly irksome piece that won't go away; at least the big chunky Toa bodies of G1 had plenty of attachment points... But I suppose it was a piece recently used & had similarities to G1 body pieces, but I'm really not a fan of it.

The Toa's feet are odd to say the least, although I think Onua's feet suit him.

Otherwise I'm really happy with sets; the Protectors seem to have really solid builds which is really nice to see (especially for me as I disliked many of the Matoran Sets in G1), & their weren't any debilitating issues in my eyes. Stickers bug me, but they're almost a non-issue compared to complaints about past things.

Oh & whilst they aren't my least favourite by a long shot, I think it is a pity that the Protector Masks don't cover a bit more of the face; whether it was the 'chin' covered, or if the sides wrapped around a bit further, I wouldn't overly mind which if I had to choose, but both are aspects that of that piece that feel short. They're still really nice Masks; very appeasing colouration as well!

Oh and I definitely prefer Onua with Claws, & Kopaka with Skis, but the alternatives their weren't what I would call bad!

Also kinda sad that Lewa has a somewhat limited range of movement in the head...

• Upvote 1

~ Sophistry: A way to be antidisuncorrect. ~

In a decade you might convince maybe a small tribe of people.

In a decade you might also conquer one million km2 of land,

& in over a thousand years you might have over a billion followers.

I like building things. Please don't break the big ones.

& evidential philosophies that dare to extrapolate beyond

an individual's direct experience aren't easily built.

This ain't my childhood Lego with these darn stickers.

• Upvote 1

:r: :e: :g: :i: :t: :n: :u: :i:

Elemental Rahi in Gen2, anyone? A write-up for an initial video for a G2 plot

I really wish everyone would stop trying to play join the dots with Gen 1 and Gen 2 though,it seems there's a couple new threads everyday and often they're duplicates of already existing conversations! Or simply parallel them with a slightly new 'twist'! Gen 2 is NEW, it is NOT Gen 1 and it is NOT a continuation. Outside of the characters we already have I personally don't want to see ANY old characters return. I think it will cheapen the whole experience to those of us familiar with the original line...

As for me, I have to agree with Master Inika up there on the new gearbox. While it is a cool piece and a neat attempt to add functions to the CCBS system, it looks ridiculous, the way it juts out of their backs and has the arms attach way behind the head. A new torso altogether that fits the gears directly inside the torso armor would have been much better (Trust me, I just finished a MOC based solely on fixing that problem, and it works perfectly). The only one it looks decent on is Onua, due to his size. 

However, LEGO has surprised me before, and I fully expect at least one of the sets (besides Onua) to change my mind on that.

Oh yeah...Ok, I have to agree with you there; it is kind of silly that they didn't make a dedicated Toa torso to go with the new CCBS Bionicle. That I can definitely agree with.

evergrey_l01.gif

Other great bands:

Yeah as with many others I'm never a fan of the stickers. Additionally I feel like the colour schemes could have a few unnessecary complications which hold back a few of them needlessly (would have been very easy to make them look better is what I mean by that). I think something else that I'm not a huge fan of is how round the shapes used on all of them are - feels a bit different to the my angular shapes used in the past I think - particularly on the masks and armour. That being said that could just be my memory playing tricks on me and is more of a preference thing.

• Upvote 1
photo-50441.gif

Credit to Pohuaki for the awesome banner! ^_^

Well, after reading through some other responses I'm starting to really dislike the new Toa's feet for some reason... But most of the above answers are things I don't feel able to judge without having the sets in my hand. While I can't imagine any reason I'd like the stickers I'llprobably just leave them off and there are lots of set specific things I think aren't great but the reviews have already changed some of my opinions on those things so actually holding the sets myself may change more.

Things I DO dislike are the YELLOW bits on all the sets. I know why they're there. They're 'action points' or something showing reaaaaaaally dumb kids how to make the arms move and turn Gali's weapon into fins. Don't they show us how to do this in the back of the manuals? And frankly couldn't we just figure it out from the pictures? They did NOT need to add these horrible clashing yellow pieces to every single toa just to highlight these features in the ugliest way possible. And that really grinds my gearbox...

• Upvote 3

Check out my Bionicle store on Bricklink here!

> > > Bionic Bricks < < <

Let me know if you can help me find these last few collectibles!

Masks%20footer4_zpspqs4myrt.png

Also looking for WILD KRAATA and a VMKK Yo!!!

At the moment all that occurs to me is that I think a couple of Toa sets suffer from a few too many colours - Lewa is the main example of this, with green, orange and a heck of a lot of a grey all in one figure. Though not as bad, the purple parts on Onua also seems a little unnecessary (I think dark grey for those parts would've worked much better).

I may have something to say about the technical/design aspects when I own some of these sets.

I don't get all the hate at stickers. The prints look very nice in my opinion and if you disagree, you have the choice not to apply the stickers.

It's not the prints, it's the application. Small stickers are difficult to put on straight and multiple matching stickers are hard to get consistent and readjustment causes them to lose stickiness. And OCD people will get upset.
  • Upvote 5

There are a few gripes I have but I'll go with stickers and printed on designs. That just screams Hero Factory and just isn't Bionicle enough.

• Upvote 1

"I expected it to attack, or scream out in rage, or do something else I wouldn't enjoy at all. Instead, the look on it's face was almost one of ... sadness, and resignation. Almost as if it knew that I, or someone like me, was coming, but had hoped against hope I wouldn't show up."

— Takanuva

We must change and change, until change is our master, for no being, not god nor mortal, has control over that which has no form.

Bionicle had printed designs before. The Bohrok Kals' faceplates were printed.

Hey, you're right! Still, it just feels like a cheap replacement for the detailed pieces we're used to from Bionicle. I'll admit some of the printed chest designs aren't half bad but I wish there were fewer flat, sleek surfaces.

• Upvote 1

"I expected it to attack, or scream out in rage, or do something else I wouldn't enjoy at all. Instead, the look on it's face was almost one of ... sadness, and resignation. Almost as if it knew that I, or someone like me, was coming, but had hoped against hope I wouldn't show up."

— Takanuva

We must change and change, until change is our master, for no being, not god nor mortal, has control over that which has no form.

I wish that Bionicle didn't have prints or stickers, so it could actually have some form of texture.

As for my complaints, Lewa and Gali's masks don't look at all like their old versions (Gali's actually reminds me of Onua's Nuva mask) and those feet...

Not to mention, I don't like the two groups each sharing a metal color. It should be;

• Tahu: Red and Gold
  • Kopaka: White and Silver
  • Onua: Black and Gunmetal
  • Lewa: Green and Lime
  • Gali: Blue and Lighter Blue
  • Pohatu: Brown and Tan

That way, the big sets have metal colors while the smaller Toa have more consistent color schemes.

• Upvote 3

LEGO Republic:

The Valkyrie

The "Christmas Brick"

My BZPRPG Profiles

Now a proud member of The Kanohi Force

76561198041367047.png

I wish that Bionicle didn't have prints or stickers, so it could actually have some form of texture.

As for my complaints, Lewa and Gali's masks don't look at all like their old versions (Gali's actually reminds me of Onua's Nuva mask) and those feet...

Not to mention, I don't like the two groups each sharing a metal color. It should be;

• Tahu: Red and Gold
  • Kopaka: White and Silver
  • Onua: Black and Gunmetal
  • Lewa: Green and Lime
  • Gali: Blue and Lighter Blue
  • Pohatu: Brown and Tan

That way, the big sets have metal colors while the smaller Toa have more consistent color schemes.

That there is an excellent suggestion!

evergrey_l01.gif

Other great bands: