Least Favorite Aspect of New Sets?

When the 2015 pieces are added to LDD, I'll be remaking the Masters with better colors. The original colors are rather odd and too haphazard.

Pffft. There's that...of just go crazy making your own toa haha (that's my plan)

evergrey_l01.gif

Other great bands:

Iron Maiden    Journey    Mercenary    The Unguided    Trivium

Boston    Stratovarius    Symphony X    Epica

Onua colors I wish he didn't have four colors on him.  His fine with sliver, purple, and black but not gold.

This one does kind of bother me as well...though I'd prefer black, purple, and gold (LSU) haha Back on topic though, I do think that Onua's overall color scheme works. Lewa's however is kind of a mess to my eyes.

evergrey_l01.gif

Other great bands:

The reuse of that Rahkshi staff for Kopaka and Pohatu. Lame.... they couldn't even use a different kind of staff... oh and the recoloring of Tahu's swords for Kopaka's shield... they should've just made a new parts for Kopaka shield... tsk tsk... Lego team... getting a little lazy with the parts choice. 

Edited by TrueshadowX01
  • Upvote 1

"Don't! They will kill you like a small dog. Instead let your anger be as if it were a monkey on a treadmill; confused and tripping around." -Lelouch of Britania- (Here is my BZPRPG Profile, Diotrua.) 

09972482fe0243bdf1778f84fd5d61d1.gif

The reuse of that Rahkshi staff for Kopaka and Pohatu. Lame...recoloring of Tahu's swords for Kopaka's shield... getting a little lazy with the parts choice. 

That also bothers me...I do kind of wish the Swords weren't just reused and also, Lewa and Gali share the new Axe/Flipper piece. I'd also have to say that while I appreciate them bringing back an old mold (the Rahkshi part), they should've used a different part as I feel the Rahkshi staff isn't a very cool piece...I would've loved to see the blue Vahki weapon return...Or better yet Brutaka's weapons would've been great!

evergrey_l01.gif

Other great bands:

The reuse of that Rahkshi staff for Kopaka and Pohatu. Lame.... they couldn't even use a different kind of staff... oh and the recoloring of Tahu's swords for Kopaka's shield... they should've just made a new parts for Kopaka shield... tsk tsk... Lego team... getting a little lazy with the parts choice. 

They're not getting lazy, they're getting budget-conscious and realizing that using one piece in several ways is more cost-effective than using several pieces in one way.

The reuse of that Rahkshi staff for Kopaka and Pohatu. Lame...recoloring of Tahu's swords for Kopaka's shield... getting a little lazy with the parts choice. 

That also bothers me...I do kind of wish the Swords weren't just reused and also, Lewa and Gali share the new Axe/Flipper piece. I'd also have to say that while I appreciate them bringing back an old mold (the Rahkshi part), they should've used a different part as I feel the Rahkshi staff isn't a very cool piece...I would've loved to see the blue Vahki weapon return...Or better yet Brutaka's weapons would've been great!

Neither of those would have worked for the purpose the Guurahk staff piece serves.

Maybe they could come back in the future? But I always found Brutaka's blades oversized for most characters, and the Bordakh staff is pretty visually similar to the new sword piece but with fewer connection points so I don't see much use for it. If they bring back pieces, I want them to be pieces that serve a necessary purpose that current parts don't.

• Upvote 1

I too am upset about Lewa's mask. They clearly drew inspiration from his '08 masks, which was a huge mistake because those masks were terrible.

I actually liked those. Why do people hate them so much?

Back on topic, I definitely agree that the color schemes could be vastly improved upon, as was suggested. 

And the Guurahk staff piece: It looks okay on Kopaka, but not Pohatu. For Pohatu, they call it a dagger. That thing is no dagger--it's a tuning fork. 

• Upvote 2

~Your friendly, neighborhood Shadow

sotpbanner.png

~Credit for Avatar and Banner goes to

NickonAquaMagna~

I liked the '08 Lewa masks, but whatever inspiration they took from them, they went in the wong direction. I need to squint to see any resemblances.

Anyway, my main issue is with the usage of gold/silver/gunmetal; while I do like their usage in certain sets (Pohatu with some modifications, Gali uses them extremely well), I do wish that at least gold had been saved and kept as a more limited, special color. Oh well.

• Upvote 1

I too am upset about Lewa's mask. They clearly drew inspiration from his '08 masks, which was a huge mistake because those masks were terrible.

I actually liked those. Why do people hate them so much?

Back on topic, I definitely agree that the color schemes could be vastly improved upon, as was suggested. 

And the Guurahk staff piece: It looks okay on Kopaka, but not Pohatu. For Pohatu, they call it a dagger. That thing is no dagger--it's a tuning fork. 

As for the '08 masks, while Pohatu and Gali's masks aren't very good, the rest look fairly decent, like more sci-fi versions of the Nuva ones, though they don't look a whole lot like the originals or the Nuvas.

Pohatu Phantoka's mask actually kinda looks like a Vahi with a visor.

LEGO Republic:

The Valkyrie

The "Christmas Brick"

My BZPRPG Profiles

Now a proud member of The Kanohi Force

76561198041367047.png

I'm gonna hate trying to put the stupid stickers on. I love the new printed chest pieces but we didn't need stickers. Also, I do wish Onua's weapon wasn't also his shoulder armor. How weird does it look for him to be digging with his shoulder armor? Same with Kopaka. Why not use a different shield?

Lara Croft

Tomb Raider Cliff Climbing

Stickers.

To add insult to injury, they aren't symmetrical, so if I actually do the sets completely&properly I'll need to put up with that element of it; very frustrating...

Only two sets (Onua and Kopaka) have stickers, and their stickers are perfectly symmetrical, so I'm not sure what you're talking about.

Things I DO dislike are the YELLOW bits on all the sets. I know why they're there. They're 'action points' or something showing reaaaaaaally dumb kids how to make the arms move and turn Gali's weapon into fins. Don't they show us how to do this in the back of the manuals? And frankly couldn't we just figure it out from the pictures? They did NOT need to add these horrible clashing yellow pieces to every single toa just to highlight these features in the ugliest way possible. And that really grinds my gearbox...

I actually think the yellow bits look nice. They make for interesting accents, especially on Lewa and Gali who actually integrate it into their color schemes.

Nothing remotely lazy about it. The LEGO Group could have wasted their money on redundant new molds and cut corners elsewhere if they so chose, but instead they chose to actually be creative and design the new weapon pieces to be useful for more than one thing.

I think it's only on Onua that there are stickers.

Kopaka also has stickers on his thigh armor. There are probably more, but those are the only ones I know of.

Nope, no more, just two stickers in each of those two sets.

Anyway, if I could pick one thing, it's that the sets with blue eyes use Tr. Light Blue for the eye color instead of Tr. Flu. Blue. That's really the biggest gripe I have. In general, I think the designers have done a great job, and none of the sets strike me as "duds" or have inexplicable design choices.

• Upvote 3

Things I DO dislike are the YELLOW bits on all the sets. I know why they're there. They're 'action points' or something showing reaaaaaaally dumb kids how to make the arms move and turn Gali's weapon into fins. Don't they show us how to do this in the back of the manuals? And frankly couldn't we just figure it out from the pictures? They did NOT need to add these horrible clashing yellow pieces to every single toa just to highlight these features in the ugliest way possible. And that really grinds my gearbox...

I actually think the yellow bits look nice. They make for interesting accents, especially on Lewa and Gali who actually integrate it into their color schemes.

I actually think Gali is the worst for this. I went through the set reviews earlier and put together a list of parts necessary to replace all the yellow parts for when I get the sets myself. I'm pleased to say there aren't as many as I thought but I think that just goes to show how much of an impact they make if they can put me off the overall colour scheme with so few parts! I think Onua, Tahu, Pohatu AND Kopaka all only have the one yellow gearknob on their back while lewa has several more pieces and gali has a whole bunch. The problem with Gali is that they don't really seem to serve a purpose for the most part, look at her in both forms aand the ones on top of her 'trident' head are pretty redundant as far as I can tell. I know there was mention of a mermaid tail which may eplain them but either way I'll be replacing them all on my sets and maybe even omitting Gali's if they turn out to be as redundant as they look!

Check out my Bionicle store on Bricklink here!

> > > Bionic Bricks < < <

Let me know if you can help me find these last few collectibles!

Masks%20footer4_zpspqs4myrt.png

Also looking for WILD KRAATA and a VMKK Yo!!!

Theory on why LEGO is still using the Staff of Disintegration head: they needed to keep the machine that makes them for the Rahkshi of Heat Vision, and got rid of the other five.

"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your
future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer.
"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Click here to visit my library!

Theory on why LEGO is still using the Staff of Disintegration head: they needed to keep the machine that makes them for the Rahkshi of Heat Vision, and got rid of the other five.

I believe the molding machines at Lego are all of a similar type (or at least not more than a few different types) It's simply the mold themselves that are individual to a particular part and I see no reason why they would choose to keep one of the Rahkshi weapon molds over the other si personally... It's likely they still have all of the molds stored away in mothballs and decided to revive one for this run. Alternatively they could have cast a new mold from an already eisting design, still significantly cheaper than designing a whole new part and mold.

Check out my Bionicle store on Bricklink here!

> > > Bionic Bricks < < <

Let me know if you can help me find these last few collectibles!

Masks%20footer4_zpspqs4myrt.png

Also looking for WILD KRAATA and a VMKK Yo!!!

Silver hands. Limited Skull Spider colors. Very few colored torsos/limbs. Such a waste  <_<

I wanted hands in various different colors, not more silver! The torsos, limbs, and Skull Spiders do not make me mad.

Prices, dagnabit! And sizes! The villains are gonna be nui-ginormous! Which means: More expensive!

Sometimes wishing that they would go back to the heroes being the $10 guys...

Remember when the titan sets were only $20? Wish that was still the case. 

The prices are just through the roof. I am lucky that I got Queen Beast for only $25 for Black Friday PLUS retirement pricing. Also, I become happy whenever I say that the Hero Factory sets are now on retirement pricing. Bionicle is so close!

Silver hands. Limited Skull Spider colors. Very few colored torsos/limbs. Such a waste  <_<

I wanted hands in various different colors, not more silver! The torsos, limbs, and Skull Spiders do not make me mad.

I actually don't mind the silver hands, in part because they match the silver heads. To be honest, I actually consider the Tr. Light Blue hands on Kopaka a bit stranger. I appreciate them for variety's sake, but I wonder if Silver Metallic or White might have been a better fit for the set (Silver Metallic because it would match the head, or White because it would match the feet).

I actually don't mind the silver hands, in part because they match the silver heads. To be honest, I actually consider the Tr. Light Blue hands on Kopaka a bit stranger. I appreciate them for variety's sake, but I wonder if Silver Metallic or White might have been a better fit for the set (Silver Metallic because it would match the head, or White because it would match the feet).

What I meant by the hands was that they could have been the primary colors of the characters. Tahu -> Red, Gali -> Blue, etc.

Silver hands, now that I think about it, are more "universal" that colored hands, as the color can match even if there is only a little silver in the rest of the color scheme. On one of my MOCs, one hand is black while the other is not. I made the black hand match a black "arm-band" that also goes with black "boots" to look like some form of "clothing" over the armor. So, I guess you can pull off having other colors in a figure, as long as they don't stick out like a sore thumb.

Silver hands. Limited Skull Spider colors. Very few colored torsos/limbs. Such a waste <_<

If the Toa's base was more silver it might look better, yeah, but as it is now with the black, grey, and yellow all a standard part of the base build, silver hands and feets look kind of out of place; you barely even notice the head, I didn't even consider it myself.

pomegranate-banner-sm.png .

*The chestplate scribbles

*HF feet

*LEGO still refusing to make gold hands

*Some of the masks, Tahu's is OK but the eyes are too tiny, and Lewa's mask looks bad overall. Gali's mask is awesome though. It's a cross between the original Kaukau and the movie style Kaukau Nuva. Bit of scuba mask mixed in there too, but enough about the good things..

*THE GOLD. I don't mind it being on Tahu since it kinda works for fire, but Onua and Kopaka have no excuse. When the first leaks came out I thought Kopaka was Takanuva. 

*I know it's more of a story thing, but Lewa being a Toa of Jungle. It's too drastic of a change from the original. I would have preferred it if he was still a Toa of air but had a bit of light blue in his colour scheme to make him look more air-y. 

*All the protectors are clones which probably means we'll never see villagers with actual personalities like in G1. Just mindless clones walking about in the background while the Toa get all the attention. 

*They barely look like Bionicle sets. Don't get me wrong, I am fine with them using CCBS, but they should have added more texture. All they did was make one armour add on and stick it on all the sets. New armour shells would have been better. 

This was counteracted even more by them choosing a really simplistic 2D Mixels-like animation style.

Edited by Toa Chronix
  • Upvote 1

bzpower selfmoc smiley.gif

LEGO got rid of most of the molds a while ago , so I believe the Guurahk staff was one of the only ones they had left. (Possibly because it was used in 2010 on the Stars Rahkshi)

Edited by Toa Chronix

*All the protectors are clones which probably means we'll never see villagers with actual personalities like in G1. Just mindless clones walking about in the background while the Toa get all the attention. 

What makes you say that? A lot of the G1 Matoran were clones with distinct personalities.

The Protectors do share the same mask, but that still doesn't mean that they won't have identities.

• Upvote 1

IetTsFQ.png

What makes you say that? A lot of the G1 Matoran were clones with distinct personalities.

The Protectors do share the same mask, but that still doesn't mean that they won't have identities.

Literally all of them are exact clones. Look at the Fire protectors in the Masks of Power trailer. In G1 Matoran had different masks, colours and personalities. Proper names too.

• Upvote 1

Literally all of them are exact clones. Look at the Fire protectors in the Masks of Power trailer. In G1 Matoran had different masks, colours and personalities. Proper names too.

I repeat what I said in another topic, if it's of interest: The 'G1' Matoran are sometimes depicted as all looking the same. There's a crowd of Jalas in one of the 2002 comics, and the Matoran crowds in MOL are also clones (making the main characters with their unique designs look a bit conspicuous). Even the first two villages (Ta and Ga-Koro) seen in the MNOLG had lots of clones, and individual designs for each Matoran didn't show up until Po-Koro and the villages after that.

• Upvote 2