Least Favorite Aspect of New Sets?

*All the protectors are clones which probably means we'll never see villagers with actual personalities like in G1. Just mindless clones walking about in the background while the Toa get all the attention. 

What makes you say that? A lot of the G1 Matoran were clones with distinct personalities.

The Protectors do share the same mask, but that still doesn't mean that they won't have identities.

Literally all of them are exact clones. Look at the Fire protectors in the Masks of Power trailer. In G1 Matoran had different masks, colours and personalities. Proper names too.

I repeat what I said in another topic, if it's of interest: The 'G1' Matoran are sometimes depicted as all looking the same. There's a crowd of Jalas in one of the 2002 comics, and the Matoran crowds in MOL are also clones (making the main characters with their unique designs look a bit conspicuous). Even the first two villages (Ta and Ga-Koro) seen in the MNOLG had lots of clones, and individual designs for each Matoran didn't show up until Po-Koro and the villages after that.

I also think the 30-second animation isn't much to go on. We probably won't get any Protector names until the story at least begins.

The Protectors in the animation were shown for what, two seconds? They wouldn't design each individual with a unique appearance for such a small display.

IetTsFQ.png

When the 2015 pieces are added to LDD, I'll be remaking the Masters with better colors. The original colors are rather odd and too haphazard.

Toa*

is this going to be some cool new fandom superiority game where we can see who will be most obnoxious about insisting on correcting "Masters" to "Toa"

I personally think that Toa is the species name, Masters is the team name. I.E. all Masters are Toa, not all Toa are Masters.

• Upvote 2

LEGO Republic:

The Valkyrie

The "Christmas Brick"

My BZPRPG Profiles

Now a proud member of The Kanohi Force

76561198041367047.png

*All the protectors are clones which probably means we'll never see villagers with actual personalities like in G1. Just mindless clones walking about in the background while the Toa get all the attention. 

What makes you say that? A lot of the G1 Matoran were clones with distinct personalities.

The Protectors do share the same mask, but that still doesn't mean that they won't have identities.

Literally all of them are exact clones. Look at the Fire protectors in the Masks of Power trailer. In G1 Matoran had different masks, colours and personalities. Proper names too.

But they're not, though. The Protectors have two-toned masks, and the regular villagers have solid colored masks. So no, they're not all exactly the same, and even if they did look the same (within a tribe anyway) that doesn't somehow rule out their having personalities. Kind of a big assumption to make so early. Fiction everywhere has always had characters who are sometimes known only by their title, while remaining actual characters. There really is no reason why the same can't be the case with the Protectors, assuming that they end up with no names after all.

(Plus, the builds for the Protectors really aren't close enough to be called clones--similar enough to show that they're the same species and whatnot, but with enough variations to put all of the original line's small sets to shame. (maybe not the Voyatoran....))

• Upvote 2

AXKP5KC.png

Disappointed though I am by the similarities of the protector sets, they're not clone sets. This was evidenced by the reviews of each set highlighting their different weapons and colour schemes (especially on the masks which in my opinion makes a HUGE difference, much better than soldi single coloured masks)

Now look at the original Turaga (as that's essentially what the protectors are. They were all eactly the same (ecept one head location) and all that changed between sets was weapon, mask and colours. Ok so the protectors technically DO have the same mask but I'm letting it slide now as I like the two-toned pieces. The weapons and colours are different just as they were with the turaga. The big change is that the turaga changed out one single piece whereas each protector has a weapon that you actually build from a dozen or so pieces. That sets them lower on the 'clone' ladder than our old favourites the turaga. Not to mention ALL matoran sets ever made and even the first two years of Toa! And Rahkshi... Vahki... Metru... Well, about half of Gen 1 really!

Bohrok...

• Upvote 1

Check out my Bionicle store on Bricklink here!

> > > Bionic Bricks < < <

Let me know if you can help me find these last few collectibles!

Masks%20footer4_zpspqs4myrt.png

Also looking for WILD KRAATA and a VMKK Yo!!!

Now look at the original Turaga (as that's essentially what the protectors are. They were all eactly the same (ecept one head location) and all that changed between sets was weapon, mask and colours. Ok so the protectors technically DO have the same mask but I'm letting it slide now as I like the two-toned pieces. The weapons and colours are different just as they were with the turaga. The big change is that the turaga changed out one single piece whereas each protector has a weapon that you actually build from a dozen or so pieces. That sets them lower on the 'clone' ladder than our old favourites the turaga. Not to mention ALL matoran sets ever made and even the first two years of Toa! And Rahkshi... Vahki... Metru... Well, about half of Gen 1 really!

Well. the Turaga did have different proportions in other ways, like different lengths for their arms and legs (kind of like the way the Protectors do, actually. Just compare Nokama with Onewa. Onewa had longer legs than any of the other Turaga but short arms, while Nokama had longer arms than any of the other Turaga and short legs.

Turaga Whenua also wasn't the only one with his head in a different position. Some of the Turaga had different neck lengths (Vakama's neck was longer than any of the other Turaga's), and Matau also had a hunched posture — not to the same extent as Whenua, of course. This gallery is useful for comparison if you don't have the sets and don't want to open up all their building instructions in different tabs.

Still not quite as diverse in some respects as the Protectors, since the Protectors of Fire and Earth have radically different shoulder builds than the others, and the Protector of Earth has a blaster in his chest, but still pretty diverse proportions-wise.

Edited by Aanchir
  • Upvote 2

Disappointed though I am by the similarities of the protector sets, they're not clone sets. This was evidenced by the reviews of each set highlighting their different weapons and colour schemes (especially on the masks which in my opinion makes a HUGE difference, much better than soldi single coloured masks)

Bohrok...

What if LEGO pulls another Toa-Metru on us..

Edited by Toa Chronix

bzpower selfmoc smiley.gif

Still not quite as diverse in some respects as the Protectors, since the Protectors of Fire and Earth have radically different shoulder builds than the others, and the Protector of Earth has a blaster in his chest, but still pretty diverse proportions-wise.

Yes good point, had forgotten about the dirrerent arms and such. Still, a different length axle isn't a massive divergence IMO. Thanks for the correction though!

I have a few complaints.

1: Lewa is now the Toa of Jungle

2: Lewa's mask design

3: Gone are the masks with abilities that are not elemental

4: now that the masks are elemental, it looks like there will only be two of each mask

5: Protectors have one design for the masks

6: The strange flaws for the characters (snoring? o_O)

• Upvote 1

A fish wielding vampire. That's Spiffy.

I too am upset about Lewa's mask. They clearly drew inspiration from his '08 masks, which was a huge mistake because those masks were terrible.

I actually liked those. Why do people hate them so much?

Back on topic, I definitely agree that the color schemes could be vastly improved upon, as was suggested. 

And the Guurahk staff piece: It looks okay on Kopaka, but not Pohatu. For Pohatu, they call it a dagger. That thing is no dagger--it's a tuning fork. 

As for the '08 masks, while Pohatu and Gali's masks aren't very good, the rest look fairly decent, like more sci-fi versions of the Nuva ones, though they don't look a whole lot like the originals or the Nuvas.

Pohatu Phantoka's mask actually kinda looks like a Vahi with a visor.

Funny thing is, I find Pohatu's Phantoka mask to be the best of the entire year. It is the only one which has a coherent design that evokes the idea of "speed," like his mask should. Lewa's mask was a close second, because it did evoke his carefree personality much better than its previous incarnations, and somewhat resembled the Miru. Kopaka's mask also resembled his original, but the problem was, the mask looked like it was just a round shell with random attatchments added to the front and sides. It had no coherent design.

The Mistika masks weren't good at all - none of them evoked their masks' powers, nor did they resemble the original masks in any way. (I have to admit, the Adaptive Hau Nuva does look like a sort of "Noble" version of the Hau, but it simply doesn't look that great). On the other hand, I love how Onua's Adaptive Pakari looks - it's really cool, but it's not the Pakari.

I think they did a fantastic job on all the masks in Gen2, except for Lewa's mask. I can understand where they came from (the Iron Man-like front-facing side holes are a bit reminiscent of the side holes in the original Miru, and I can see that they've taken inspiration from the Phantoka mask, but the mask looks way too mechanical - it looks like a robot head more than it does a mask. 

• Upvote 4

"Keep in mind that if Star Trek fans had, as a group, said, 'No point in talking about this anymore, it's never going to come back,' it never WOULD have come back."

-Greg Farshtey

Because they're the good guys. It's the same logic that makes the heroes of CoD and similar games white males with American accents.

:r: :e: :g: :i: :t: :n: :u: :i:

Elemental Rahi in Gen2, anyone? A write-up for an initial video for a G2 plot

I really wish everyone would stop trying to play join the dots with Gen 1 and Gen 2 though,it seems there's a couple new threads everyday and often they're duplicates of already existing conversations! Or simply parallel them with a slightly new 'twist'! Gen 2 is NEW, it is NOT Gen 1 and it is NOT a continuation. Outside of the characters we already have I personally don't want to see ANY old characters return. I think it will cheapen the whole experience to those of us familiar with the original line...

Sets aren't very unique. Why don't Toa ever have more eyes or limbs, or other body shapes?

Toa are humanoids and human analogues, something tells me extra eyes and limbs is more diversity than is entirely neccesary. :0

Besides that, Kopaka's mask already kind of does have extra eyes. :P
  • Upvote 6

If each protector had different mask... Too much HF-like. I don't like hands which started in 2009. I like old non-hands hands, they are more universal. Also, they have got too much armor plates. I mean, it looks like 3 plates per side of each piece.

• Upvote 1

At some point, I'll suddenly go on hiatus. I'm sorry for that.

Nik, but still pronounced as Nick

The Great Vakama or Clue official topic

If each protector had different mask... Too much HF-like. I don't like hands which started in 2009. I like old non-hands hands, they are more universal. Also, they have got too much armor plates. I mean, it looks like 3 plates per side of each piece.

I also prefer the 'non-hand hands', but how the Protectors having different Masks make it to much like Hero Factory? o.O

• Upvote 1

~ Sophistry: A way to be antidisuncorrect. ~

In a decade you might convince maybe a small tribe of people.

In a decade you might also conquer one million km2 of land,

& in over a thousand years you might have over a billion followers.

I like building things. Please don't break the big ones.

& evidential philosophies that dare to extrapolate beyond

an individual's direct experience aren't easily built.

I also prefer the 'non-hand hands', but how the Protectors having different Masks make it to much like Hero Factory? o.O

I'm pretty sure those are separate complaints, flowing together in a single run-on sentence. In other words, they wish the Protectors had different masks AND are upset by how similar the new sets are to Hero Factory.

I am a little stunned that they're complaining about the sets having too much armor, though. In all my years as a constraction fan I've mostly seen complaints about the opposite—people complaining when a beam is exposed from multiple sides, or a figure's armor is otherwise sparse.

• Upvote 2

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

-Stickers

-No mask packs

-Prices

-No mask packs

-Story looks like it'll be toned down from previous years

-No mask packs

-Pohatu's design

-No mask packs

-Mysterious, tribal atmosphere from the first few years seems to be gone (Though this may just be my nostalgia talking)
-No mask packs

-I wish they had kept color schemes to 2 colors, instead of all this silver and gold

-No mask packs

• Upvote 3

why is this happening

I think Zippo misses mask packs... That's been discussed elsewhere though (if not maybe even here) I don't think there's such a big market for tradeable collectibles in the days of the interweb. Part of me would love to see all 36 masks again but most of me has trouble looking at just one ugly Gali mask, let alone si multi-coloured ones in a row...

I wish there was some other way to deliver the masks in different colors. LEGO could even release packs containing all six masks in a single color, I know I'd buy them all. It's really restricting having masks in a single color (ignoring gold), for building purposes.

• Upvote 1

IetTsFQ.png

I wish there was some other way to deliver the masks in different colors. LEGO could even release packs containing all six masks in a single color, I know I'd buy them all. It's really restricting having masks in a single color (ignoring gold), for building purposes.

Yeah...Or they could allow you to order your sets from LDD and all you do is have all the masks in every possible color...and order about 5 sets...

evergrey_l01.gif

Other great bands:

Iron Maiden    Journey    Mercenary    The Unguided    Trivium

Boston    Stratovarius    Symphony X    Epica

Yeah...Or they could allow you to order your sets from LDD and all you do is have all the masks in every possible color...and order about 5 sets...

Even back when you COULD order parts from LDD, you could only order parts that existed physically, and ones that they had in the specific Design byME parts palette (since that's all they kept in the warehouse where those sets were packed). Ordering parts from LDD that don't already exist in physical form would NEVER be possible, unless perhaps if the LEGO Group started making parts through 3D printing instead of injection molding, and even then it's hard to say if they could even maintain the same quality.

Edited by Aanchir
  • Upvote 2

The gold on some of the toa bother me a bit... it just feels thrown in more than it should be or needs to be. Most of the problems I have with them don't apply to all the sets, but rather individual ones. I'm not a fan of the torsos on a bunch of them. I feel a different, much better torso piece could have been made for this to stop those exposed ball joints and make the torsos more whole. There are some tiny details on some of the masks that look slightly off, and the armor placement in some places on the toa could've been better. I also think that the mask attachments, as cool as it is to have the launching feature, look slightly flimsy, and the brain stalk flopping around isn't very appealing to me.

They're not perfect sets, but they're still really amazing and I'm super happy to see these coming. There are some light problems with them, but that feigns in comparison to their awesomeness.

I also think that the mask attachments, as cool as it is to have the launching feature, look slightly flimsy, and the brain stalk flopping around isn't very appealing to me.

I haven't heard anyone mention that yet; yes, the floppy brain stock looks so annoying...I am not a big fan of that feature.

IetTsFQ.png

My least favorite aspect of the new sets would have to be the use of only one new detail/armor piece. That's not to say I don't like the new sets; the new heads, masks, and weapons all impress me very much and bring a great deal of diversity to our new Bonkles. Still, I feel more could be done with that armor... <_<

In all fairness, though, I'll still try to buy them all.  :P

• Upvote 1

I'm honestly not really a fan of the overall bulkiness of the new Toa. I always imagined Kopaka as a sort of wise and introverted type of Toa, not the "LiFtIn WeIgHtS eVeRyDaY BrOoOOoo" kind lol.

Kopaka's design doesn't look at all like that stereotype. He doesn't look muscular to me, he looks armored and bundled up, traits which I think really suit a cold character with a guarded, reserved personality. On some levels, it's an extension of the way he has always carried a shield. It's a way of showing how he keeps the rest of the world at a distance.

• Upvote 2

I'm honestly not really a fan of the overall bulkiness of the new Toa. I always imagined Kopaka as a sort of wise and introverted type of Toa, not the "LiFtIn WeIgHtS eVeRyDaY BrOoOOoo" kind lol.

Kopaka's design doesn't look at all like that stereotype. He doesn't look muscular to me, he looks armored and bundled up, traits which I think really suit a cold character with a guarded, reserved personality. On some levels, it's an extension of the way he has always carried a shield. It's a way of showing how he keeps the rest of the world at a distance.

I see your point but it would still be pretty nice if he had a neck lol.

justin_verceles

There being only one non-midget villain, the small skull spiders don't really seem all that threatening. It's like instead of using rahkshi in 03, they just the used kraata themselves as the enemies.

Edited by PyroLizard Prime

Chuck Norik is no match for Bruce Lhikan!

If you use correct grammar in your posts (or try hard to), place this in your signature. Join Myst's campaign for correct grammar usage on BZPower!

There being only one non-midget villain, the small skull spiders don't really seem all that threatening. It's like instead of using rahkshi in 03, they just the used kraata themselves as the enemies.

Except there were only six Rahkshi/Kraata

There are swarms of skull spiders (and even appear to be multiple LOSS, though i COULD be wrong)

I think a lot of people underestimate how terrifying a spider with a body larger than your head would be, particularly if it has the powers of the Skull Spiders (either being super-fast, having night vision, or being able to survive nearly anything). Seriously, even if I could shoot fire from my hands, I wouldn't want to go anywhere NEAR one of those things, let alone try to take on a swarm of them.

Not to mention, there's not much sense getting worked up about not having a lot of powerful baddies in the first wave. Do you know how many baddies were released in the first wave of BIONICLE? None. The Rahi were only released a few months after the Toa and Turaga. Likewise, do you know how many baddies were released in the first wave of 2004? Just one — Ahkmou. Surely the Skull Spiders and the Lord of Skull Spiders make for a more formidable foe than that!

It feels especially strange to see people complaining about this now — I can remember how people actually complained when the first wave of 2008 had canister-sized heroes and villains in the same wave, since it meant having to wait until the summer for half of the Toa! You can't have it both ways...

Edited by Aanchir

I think a lot of people underestimate how terrifying a spider with a body larger than your head would be, particularly if it has the powers of the Skull Spiders (either being super-fast, having night vision, or being able to survive nearly anything). Seriously, even if I could shoot fire from my hands, I wouldn't want to go anywhere NEAR one of those things, let alone try to take on a swarm of them.

I think the thing to remember though is that this isn't like us (ordinary folk) going up against big spiders. It's more like the Avengers going up against big spiders. And in that scenario I know who my money is on! Point is, I imagine a protector is capable of fighting off a skull spider (or there isn't much playability to be had from them!!!) so a Toa can probably take on 3-5 of them without a great deal of effort. And the trouble is (play-wise) we won't have a great deal more than that even with all 13 sets. Certainly not enough to be a challenge for all 12 goodies, and that's including the LOSS...

I was fine with 3 Toa and three Makuta per wave.

I didn't really like the Phantoka/Mistika lines but I don't think the reason for that was that they released in 3vs3 waves. I think in fact that that idea works pretty well and certainly gives fans a great deal of playability with each wave. My big problem with the releases that year was that once you had all si sets of one type (be that Makuta or Toa) they formed completely disjointed teams. The Toa were somewhat similar because they all had the same underlying build but the different weapons were odd. The makuta were one half winged demons and the other half insectoid beasts, not what I would call a team at all!