Gen 2 completely replacing Gen 1?

I heard about the Bionicle reboot only a few weeks ago, and I was hoping someone could clear up some confusion for me.

When I first heard about the reboot, and the fact that it included characters from the original story bible, I was really surprised. It seems like, after seeing a reappearance of Tahu & Co. in 2008, they were overusing them. However, it appears that they're just recycling names and there will be no connection to Generation 1. Can anybody verify that?

At times like this he wonders if the Great Beings are truly brilliant beyond imagining, or hopelessly mad. Or if there's even any difference between the two..."

The Mata Nui saga and Okoto are entirely separate continuities, and take place in different universes. The only real "connection" is that BIONICLE 2015 is heavily inspired by BIONICLE 2001.

Rumors of a storyline connection are just that: rumors.

• Upvote 1
"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
-- Harlan Ellison

Thanks for the clarification. I'm a little...nah, a lot disappointed to hear it, because it would've been nice to continue learning more about the Bionicle universe. But I guess they need to dumb it down for Gen Z to get it. >.>

• Upvote 2
At times like this he wonders if the Great Beings are truly brilliant beyond imagining, or hopelessly mad. Or if there's even any difference between the two..."

Yonder topic title baffles me, though. Yes, it is a hard reboot, but that's not going to replace Gen 1 anywhere, like entirely erase it from continuity or people's minds or whatever. Gen 1 still exists, offstage hiding behind a worn-out crushed and blackened "To be continued..." sign. 

• Upvote 3

Yeah, when I saw the topic title I was expecting a completely different discussion here. :P

But it matters not. I just wanted to add -- they're not only recycling names. :P But yes, it's a re-imagining.

• Upvote 5

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

Thanks for the clarification. I'm a little...nah, a lot disappointed to hear it, because it would've been nice to continue learning more about the Bionicle universe. But I guess they need to dumb it down for Gen Z to get it. >.>

Oh, for god's sakes. It is waaaaaay too early for us to turn into spiteful old curmudgeons and start hating on the next generation. Millennials haven't even hit three decades yet.

It's also too early to criticize BIONICLE 2015 for being too simple. The Okoto storyline is simpler than the Mata Nui saga for three reasons: A, because it has not even begun yet, whereas the Mata Nui saga ran for 10+ years; B, because it is meant to avoid some of the problems of its predecessor, which included an overly convoluted backlog of irrelevant details caused by worldbuilding gone wild; and C, because keeping the world small and simple allows writers to focus on the plot and the characters, rather than the rampant speculation and background details that dominated the Mata Nui saga.

• Upvote 7
"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
-- Harlan Ellison

B, because it is meant to avoid some of the problems of its predecessor, which included an overly convoluted backlog of irrelevant details caused by worldbuilding gone wild; and C, because keeping the world small and simple allows writers to focus on the plot and the characters, rather than the rampant speculation and background details that dominated the Mata Nui saga.

Worldbuilding gone wild? So much of it was periphery while the main story was still considerably focused. For example - the Barraki are warlords. That's all you need to know. The League of Six Kingdoms is barely important in the scheme of things when the main story is simply that the Toa Mahri want to get the Mask of Life and the Barraki do as well.

The Story Serials don't juggle characters all too well, but then again these were backstories made specifically for the fans who wanted more background story/expanded universe material. The actual main books had A LOT of focus on the plot and characters. If you digested the story through the main source of media, there would probably be no confusion. 

What is wrong with rampant speculation? That's one of the reasons this Storyline and Theories sub-forum is so popular, isn't it? People want to know the background details, what happens next and how to link it all together. I think that was one of the greatest parts of G1 - that it instilled a drive in people to learn more and add to the expanding universe.

The problem with the G1 story was that it was continuous and relied on previous knowledge of main story years before. That was not a fault of the worldbuilding. 

-NotS

Edited by Nidhiki of the Shadows
  • Upvote 3

tahubanner.jpg

It's also too early to criticize BIONICLE 2015 for being too simple.

it is meant to avoid some of the problems of its predecessor, which included an overly convoluted backlog of irrelevant details caused by worldbuilding gone wild

These two posts are actually on the right track, but (unless you meant "problems" only in the subjective sense of your tastes) it isn't (so far as the worldbuilding goes*) about one being too detailed or the other being simple. Actually, it's good to have variety; we had a version of Bionicle for those with the tastes to like extensive worldbuilding, and that's good, and now (maybe) we can also have a version for those with tastes to like it simpler, and that would also be good!

I call this populating the field of varied stories. People who act like it's one or the other are (probably, usually) missing the role of personal taste and why that means both can be good. Heck, I'm sure there's many like me who have the tastes to enjoy both ourselves!

*Although the actual storyline itself did get too complex in Gen1, but not because of worldbuilding. Actually they slacked off with the worldbuilding in later years, which was for example part of why we had to suggest establishing the powers for the Sayger, Atlas, and Av-Matoran masks. In fact, had they poured the energy they did into constant running updates on what every old character was doing, into the worldbuilding for each present year instead, maybe that big problem would have solved itself. :shrugs:

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

It seems like, after seeing a reappearance of Tahu & Co. in 2008, they were overusing them.

I absolutely hated how in Harry Potter they overused Harry Potter. Like they thought he was the protagonist or something.

It is a hard reboot. Bionicle Gen 1 is dead and will never come back whether we like it or not.

The melodrama is unnecessary. Bionicle Gen 1 told its story, beginning to end. A continuation wasn't going to happen, plain and simple.

(Oops, I shouldn't say that, lol. :) That's a matter of personal taste, lol, and shouldn't be confused with hard facts and logic. :) )

• Upvote 7

• 4 months later...

The melodrama is unnecessary. Bionicle Gen 1 told its story, beginning to end. A continuation wasn't going to happen, plain and simple.

Problem with that is that we would like to think it over, but The Powers That Be  and The Yesterday Quest  kinda picked up after journies end, two serials that seemed to have a larger impact on actual canon and story continuation then just a simple "sub story". and I want to see it finished just as much as I want to slap Greg F. for continuing it without any real means to finish it. so at least in my eyes, no Gen 1's story didn't get a proper ending as a certain someone had to pick it up and continue it, whose serials are technically canon. you can say that Journies end could be considered the proper ending, but that is still basically trying to push the problem aside and ignore it hoping it would go away, like that nasty Skakdi Skeleton we know Spiriah keeps in his closet.

anyways, being a person who lurked on this website more, but only recently joined I know my word does not mean much,  but I felt the urge to add my two cents. sorry if I irritate any of you with this ^^;;;

it is one thing to learn your future and feel mortified...

...it is another to face a Destiny you can never change

"Fight With Blood
Fight With Steel
Die With Honor
Never Yield
Fearless Hearts
Filled With Pride
Into Glory We Shall Ride

I'll Die Fighting With My Brothers Side By Side"

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cz1gDQCG4O4