All the Worst Bionicle Sets

aldero

Man, this is a controversial topic. During Generation 1's decade-long run, we got lots of constraction sets. Lots. And lots of them. But, for every Brutaka or Maxilos, we get an Umbra or Krekka. Today, let's take a look at some of the worst Bionicle sets, in no particular order.

1: 8625 Umbra

When I first found out about this set, I thought he looked pretty cool and interestingly designed. But when I look more at the set, I realise it's quite flawed. The colour scheme is inconsistent, his 'roller blades' are just weird, and the build is a bit clunky. My opinion of this light-wielding guardian may be a bit harsh, considering it's still a mildly okay set, but in comparison to many of the other sets released that year, or the years that came before or followed it, it is quite a bad set. Not only that, but his design is lackluster. To my knowledge, there are no exclusive parts made for him, and the newest things we get out of him are a new melded Rhotuka and some recolourings. In conclusion, this set was uninspired and rushed, looking more like a MOC than an a good, solid set.

2: 8623 Krekka

In the winter (summer for all you people from the Northern Hemisphere) of 2004, we moved on from the threat of the Morbuzakh and the Vahki to have more focus on the Dark Hunter duo, Nidhiki and Krekka, who were each given their own respective sets. Whilst the Nidhiki set had a solid build and a good design, the Krekka set didn't satisfy us as much as Nidhiki did. Krekka himself does have some positive things about him, them being a consistent colour scheme and an intended brute look, the cons outweighed the pros. The torso ended up being extremely clunky and bulky for a head moving function, the design is riddled with gaps, and his limbs are quite flimsy. While Krekka is still an okay set, it is mainly let down by it's lack of armour and clunky design. 

3: 8912 Toa Mahri Hewkii

What I am about to complain about also applies to some of the other Toa Mahri sets, but this Toa of Stone ends up being the worst. Matoro had a slightly awkward build, but still looked pretty good, and Kongu was bulky and lazily designed, but still consistent. Hewkii here doesn't really have any redeeming qualities. His build is really flimsy and weak, and the rest of his build is really awkward. Hewkii has chains again, like his Inika counterpart, which is... okay, he has a really strange mask that tries to substitute as armour, and fails at that, and he is just lazily built overall. Sorry Hewkii, not going to impress Macku.

So, that's about all. Besides the Stars line, Bionicle has had a mostly bulletproof reputation when it comes to good sets, so as making this list more unique and slightly pointless. What are some of the worst set in your opinion? You probably have more bad sets on your list than I do. Let me know!

• Upvote 4

< -< =<o>= >- >

Ha! I tricked you into reading my signature!

< -< =<o>= >- >

Turaga Dume & Nivawk

I know they tried, but oh man. Nivawk is one of the most horrendous BIONICLE ever, consisting of beams and blades. The legs and feet are fine, but seeing the torso build makes me feel all wobbly. Dume is a decent one, but feels more like a Matoran than a Turaga. I would score it 3/10.

Krika

Don't get me wrong, character was awesome. The set just looks like a potato walking on blades. The limbs are too short, Crast has an odd look and the torso is too long in my opinion.

Edit: Added Krika.

Edited by Rider Of Spiders
  • Upvote 2

"Onua gazes upon the Earth and sees riches. It is our Duty to dig, and our Destiny to find them"

- Aiyetoro

I completely disagree about Umbra. He has a very consistent colour scheme, plenty of functions which don't affect articulation, and the wheel feet are unique to him. The only problem I have with him is that the wheels can make it hard to balance him in some poses.

As for the worst sets...

Onua Mistika. He looks nothing like Onua. His mask looks more like a Kraahkan than a Pakari Nuva. He is too skinny for who he is, and having a huge blaster shield thing doesn't make sense for someone with this slim body type. Also, when has Onua ever had red in his colour scheme? Everything about him is inconsistent!

Oh and I'm not sure if he counts since he's a combo model, but GAARDUS. Gaardus is easily the worst looking Bionicle character ever created. He looks like everyone from the Stars line just got thrown into a blender and mixed into a giant cluster of random parts.

Edited by Toa Chronix
  • Upvote 5

bzpower selfmoc smiley.gif

I also disagree about Umbra. At first glance I thought he was hilariously bad, but now I appreciate him just because he was such a big change of pace. Like, everything about him was completely different from anything we'd seen before - wheels on the feet, crazy colors, bizarre weapon, and the chest armor was pretty cool.

As for my least favorite set, Tahu Mistika hands down. Ugly colors (all of the Mistika had way too much silver and no bright colors), the Hordika armor looked tiny and pointless, the weapon was small and uninteresting, and that mask...just...ew. The other Mistika were okay at best, but Tahu was simply awful in every regard.

I think Irnakk was ugly as well. I get that he was a combiner, but still. I guess I'm not too fond of the Piraka heads, especially as they were used on him.

Vakama Hordika is another one of my least favorites. His mask is hard to look at. The rest are alright, but for some reason I can't explain, he just seems really ugly.

• Upvote 1

IetTsFQ.png

Umm...My least favorite set ever was probably the 2003 Makuta (Teridax) set. The mask didn't look like it did in the movie, the legs always kind of bothered me too, and I just feel like the set itself wasn't as big or as bad as it could've been. I really liked the Avhokki being used as hands, but other than that, the set has always kind of bothered me...

• Upvote 3

evergrey_l01.gif

Other great bands:

Iron Maiden    Journey    Mercenary    The Unguided    Trivium

Boston    Stratovarius    Symphony X    Epica

Turagas 2001. Look at their bodies...

Turaga Matau and Ehrye. Reason: Mahiki. I would kill designer of that mask!

Nivawk, ugliest Rahi ever.

(Looks like Turaga Matau is my winner)

Every combiner set which I have seen excluding Kardas.

• Upvote 2

At some point, I'll suddenly go on hiatus. I'm sorry for that.

Nik, but still pronounced as Nick

The Great Vakama or Clue official topic

Most of the Inika sets were frustrating to me. They were too skinny, had arms that were just too long, had worst of all had weapons that didn't really look like anything, much less harpoons and crossbows. And, no, the light up feature didn't make up for it. The only one that really worked was Hewkii. I thought he had a nice color scheme and his bulky axe seemed appropriate for a Toa of stone. And it actually looked like an axe.

• Upvote 1
BZPRPG

Vastus was bad. The snake motifs on his shoulder armor and helmet could have been interesting if done correctly, but they ended up looking pretty tacky and ugly. The backwards inika torso might have also seemed like a good idea for the sake of some variety, but it also just didn't work.

• Upvote 1

AXKP5KC.png

You named this topic "All The Worst Bionicle Sets" and didn't even include the most loathsome piece of garbage to ever drop from the hands of the set designers to the floor and then be hastily cobbled back together? What a misnomer.

I really liked him! I loved his mask and his size was almost too much too handle at the time, it was also the first Bionicle set I ever opened.

• Upvote 1

You named this topic "All The Worst Bionicle Sets" and didn't even include the most loathsome piece of garbage to ever drop from the hands of the set designers to the floor and then be hastily cobbled back together? What a misnomer.

I really liked him! I loved his mask and his size was almost too much too handle at the time, it was also the first Bionicle set I ever opened.

Unfortunately, his size was also too much for the set designers to handle; his body is gappy and barebones, as are his legs, and his proportions are kinda wacky. And, unlike all three of the sets in the first post of this topic, he has a horrendous color scheme. (Umbra's is debatable, I guess, but definitely not TMN level of bad.)

• Upvote 3

Unfortunately, his size was also too much for the set designers to handle; his body is gappy and barebones, as are his legs, and his proportions are kinda wacky. And, unlike all three of the sets in the first post of this topic, he has a horrendous color scheme. (Umbra's is debatable, I guess, but definitely not TMN level of bad.)

I thought Toa Mata Nui was cool when he came out, but looking at him now...no, no, no, everything's wrong with that set. Except for the pistons at his waist.

Those shoulders...what were they thinking?

• Upvote 1

IetTsFQ.png

Krekka sucked, I think we can all agree on that.

Same goes for Nivawk.

The 2008 Makuta disappointed me quite a bit too.

Also the Stars. the Stars.

• Upvote 2

Archon                      

"For one to truly feel alive, the person must kill oneself a little bit each and every day."

Check out my MOC, one of the new generation of Toa on Spherus Magna!

***Toa Kyraan***

I love all BIONICLE sets. I don't think any is horrible, really. I like the stars...

• Upvote 1

Add me on 3DS: 0516-7750-0068

Add me on Wii U: Boidoh

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 4: Never Trust a Snake

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 44: Corridor of Elders

Like, Comment, And Subscribe for Nintendo Content - NinBoidoh

I love all BIONICLE sets. I don't think any is horrible, really. I like the stars...

I like the Stars too. Nektann was the only set that I thought was meh, all of the others came with some outstanding new parts and recolors, and were solid sets that were simply cursed with the av-Matoran design.

• Upvote 1

IetTsFQ.png

I liked Nektann... My only problem is that he never had the signature Skakdi smile.

• Upvote 1

Add me on 3DS: 0516-7750-0068

Add me on Wii U: Boidoh

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 4: Never Trust a Snake

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 44: Corridor of Elders

Like, Comment, And Subscribe for Nintendo Content - NinBoidoh

Even thought I don't own one (and my opinion might change after building one) I don't like the toa Mahri* the look so so weird, except maybe Nuparu and Jaller.

I have mixed feeling towards the piraka, the spines and the smiles are cool, weird and ugly looking at the same time.

Finally I got a little disappointed when I got my boxor, I always thought it would be wider and the legs would move independently. It was sad as I have really high expectations toward the set after the Bohrok animations.

*I have just realized is "Mahri" and not "Mahiri", by some reason I always have read it as "Mahiri"!

• Upvote 1

Came for the sets, stayed for the story.

What is the Mata Nui Cow?

http://biosector01.com/wiki/index.php/Mata_Nui_Cow. (BS01 is your friend.)

The Baranus ranks up there for me. The concept was interesting, but there were too many colors and it just never really looked like it was supposed to. Of all the vehicles, it was by far the most disappointing. At least Toa Mata Nui gave us the courtesy of looking terrible from the outset.

• Upvote 2

tumblr_ng1pw4xLEM1tryxewo1_1280.jpg

I'd have to say the glatorians, sure they had some unique parts, but take those away and you have a rehashed inika build for most, sure some like Kiina and Strakk were oddballs. And those fists, I just could never get over how big they are, like oven mitts.

Also, tiny head syndrome.

It's a terrible disease.

• Upvote 1

I don't know WHAT Lego was thinking when they designed Kazi, but something tells me there was way too much protodermis in the office, if you know what I mean. 

"Oh boy, children are going to have so much fun playing around with Kazi and his stubby legs! JuSt ImAgInE aLl ThE sItTiNg PoSsIbIlItIeSsSsSs"

• Upvote 7

justin_verceles

(I'm not counting combiner sets that weren't sold as a set themselves, nor am I counting promotional sets.)

This si ahrd to put in order, but roughly speaking, starting from worst going to less bad things.

Umbra, a gross colour scheme, awkward build didn't really look imposing or wise or feel like he had any personality or anything, & generally just looked like an ugly set with no soul. The no soul bit could have worked brilliantly from a story perspective, but in the story he wasn't really that interesting either, so there was practically no incentive to buy him at all...

Turaga Dume and Nivawk, was a truly terrible set, the best thing I can say about it is that it has a good pieces per dollar... (also bad because it gave the impression that Bionicle sets can't risk being too technic heavy, were I think Nidhiki shows that it can work wonderfully)

Gali Mistika, Onua Mistika & Tahu Mistika, all three of them looked very poor, I didn't particularly like the Toa (Nuva) Phantoka

Basically all of the 2008 Matoran, useless chunky pieces. The Shadow Matoran conveyed the feeling well, but they still had the same bad central body piece & the limbs still weren't great. Radiak & Vican can probably be exempted because the former at least had soem differant pieces, & the latter was alright price wise & cam with Mutran who I thought was alright (I didn't mind Chirox either).

Most thing in 2009. Can't look at properly, makes me weep.

Honestly I think the Piraka, the Toa Inika, & the Toa Mahri, were all horrendous sets all for the same sort of reasons. The Vahki & Visorak weren't great, but I don't think they were horrible, the Toa Hordika looked cool and had nice useful pieces, the Toa Metru were alright, although Vakama & Onewa were very bland and were on the worse side of things.

Makuta Icarax, looks very awkward, silly weapons, & it looks like a patchwork, without a consistent feel to it; the Kraahkan looks very out of place as the design is out of character compared to every other group of pieces used.

Brutaka was also very meh in my eyes, & for anyone that saw how much they asked for him in Australia... He certainly looked impossing but he like Keetongu just looks like a bright blog; although Keetongu had a good selection of pieces, Brutaka had cool aspects but other than his weapon and claws, there weren't any pieces I really wanted; if i owned less Bionicle sets at that point &/or I could buy form elsewhere I may have got him, but honestly he didn't look great to me, & didn't really offer much piece wise compared to other sets scaling for price etc.

Kongu Mahri, warped body, boring mask.

Krika, looks far too weak and spindly all over.

2008 Takanuva, Toa Ignika, both just looked wrong... smooth or technic-y inconsistent, gold, colour scheme is..? who thought those masks looked not-horrible?

All of the Bohrok-Kal, simply because six clone-y sets were now twelve; but if the Bohrok weren't ever released they would have been fine, a bit too much silver for my tastes (& I would rather be able to see the Krana than the decal); but if the Bohrok-Kal were released before the Bohrok, I would still prefer the Bohrok (although Lehvak is probably on the same level as Levak-Kal for me).

Maxilos and Spinax, Maxilos has the same issues as Hydraxon, but it's worse becauseit means I can't by Spinax by itself which was a cool set, but not cool enough to justify the extra $ wasted buying Maxilos as well.

Bitil, what did they do to you?

Hydraxon, so bland it's almost painful. & what went wrong with that Mask? & why the 'wings'?

~ Sophistry: A way to be antidisuncorrect. ~

In a decade you might convince maybe a small tribe of people.

In a decade you might also conquer one million km2 of land,

& in over a thousand years you might have over a billion followers.

I like building things. Please don't break the big ones.

& evidential philosophies that dare to extrapolate beyond

an individual's direct experience aren't easily built.

What was wrong with Hydraxon?

He looks bland. Although the legs aren't that bad, it is nice how they've done the piston connecting the upper leg to the foot, but the torso seems a bit short for his legs (for my tastes), & for how bulky the upper leg is it seems odd that it is so noticeable that his leg only attaches on a single join to the torso.

His arms look a bit crowded by the two silver blades on the upper arm (which kind of clash with the other two silver blades pointing up form his back).

The 'claws' on his left hand just seem awkward; is his hand holding a blade & two others are attached to his wrist or... how does that work as a weapon? Looks like it would be too fiddly and restrictive; might look cool to some, but to me the logistical annoyance jumps out at me.

The colour scheme doesn't really work for me, his lower legs and his arms are dark, & then his torso and upper legs are just a blob of silver armour; the torso seems to protrude to much from his body; mostly in relation to his shoulders & head — just as the leg connection to the torso; this would be fine if it were less noticeable (if the head was long so it looked ot be in line, and the arms tilted forward; although those would both make certain poses look very silly).

His head looks very unimpressive to me, & not so much as just useful, but it looks silly; oddly or overly curved at the top... I just don't like the style. Generally the mask echoes his overall aesthetic; not really impressive or evocative of any personality beyond plain utility; which isn't an issue in itself; except that he still just seems plain, because all these issues jump out at me; I don't know why but I look at him & I don't need to go searching; this is just what jumps out at me.

His legs look weak if you don't look at them from a slight angle at the front but not 90 degrees, it looks like he's about to fall forward; it might have something to do with me feeling like he has a really small connection between his legs and feet; maybe something needs to cover up that ball joint?

The Cordak Blaster looks cool just attached to his wrist, except that from certain angles it looks more like it should be held as it doesn't look ...supported well? Maybe if the connection was more in line with the arm rather than raised above. IDK.

Generally he just looks very plain to me :S

For me to be interested in a humanoid set it needs some sort of personality; often that can be carried just in the mask, but in sets like these were maybe they were going for a serious(/utilitarian/cold?)/determined/? look; but to me it just seems plain.

& well, it's something that is just so 'okay' - not good, not bad, that it's just mediocre; & mediocrity is... very disappointing.

I suppose my list was more from Horrible to Bland. The Vahki to me weren't very exciting, but Rorzakh & Zadakh convey the idea that they are going to chase you down; Hydraxon doesn't really convey that idea as much... No soul. & the Vahki were programmed robots & still seemed to better convey that.

~ Sophistry: A way to be antidisuncorrect. ~

In a decade you might convince maybe a small tribe of people.

In a decade you might also conquer one million km2 of land,

& in over a thousand years you might have over a billion followers.

I like building things. Please don't break the big ones.

& evidential philosophies that dare to extrapolate beyond

an individual's direct experience aren't easily built.

(I'm not counting combiner sets that weren't sold as a set themselves, nor am I counting promotional sets.)

This si ahrd to put in order, but roughly speaking, starting from worst going to less bad things.

Umbra, a gross colour scheme, awkward build didn't really look imposing or wise or feel like he had any personality or anything, & generally just looked like an ugly set with no soul. The no soul bit could have worked brilliantly from a story perspective, but in the story he wasn't really that interesting either, so there was practically no incentive to buy him at all...

Turaga Dume and Nivawk, was a truly terrible set, the best thing I can say about it is that it has a good pieces per dollar... (also bad because it gave the impression that Bionicle sets can't risk being too technic heavy, were I think Nidhiki shows that it can work wonderfully)

Gali Mistika, Onua Mistika & Tahu Mistika, all three of them looked very poor, I didn't particularly like the Toa (Nuva) Phantoka

Basically all of the 2008 Matoran, useless chunky pieces. The Shadow Matoran conveyed the feeling well, but they still had the same bad central body piece & the limbs still weren't great. Radiak & Vican can probably be exempted because the former at least had soem differant pieces, & the latter was alright price wise & cam with Mutran who I thought was alright (I didn't mind Chirox either).

Most thing in 2009. Can't look at properly, makes me weep.

Honestly I think the Piraka, the Toa Inika, & the Toa Mahri, were all horrendous sets all for the same sort of reasons. The Vahki & Visorak weren't great, but I don't think they were horrible, the Toa Hordika looked cool and had nice useful pieces, the Toa Metru were alright, although Vakama & Onewa were very bland and were on the worse side of things.

Makuta Icarax, looks very awkward, silly weapons, & it looks like a patchwork, without a consistent feel to it; the Kraahkan looks very out of place as the design is out of character compared to every other group of pieces used.

Brutaka was also very meh in my eyes, & for anyone that saw how much they asked for him in Australia... He certainly looked impossing but he like Keetongu just looks like a bright blog; although Keetongu had a good selection of pieces, Brutaka had cool aspects but other than his weapon and claws, there weren't any pieces I really wanted; if i owned less Bionicle sets at that point &/or I could buy form elsewhere I may have got him, but honestly he didn't look great to me, & didn't really offer much piece wise compared to other sets scaling for price etc.

Kongu Mahri, warped body, boring mask.

Krika, looks far too weak and spindly all over.

2008 Takanuva, Toa Ignika, both just looked wrong... smooth or technic-y inconsistent, gold, colour scheme is..? who thought those masks looked not-horrible?

All of the Bohrok-Kal, simply because six clone-y sets were now twelve; but if the Bohrok weren't ever released they would have been fine, a bit too much silver for my tastes (& I would rather be able to see the Krana than the decal); but if the Bohrok-Kal were released before the Bohrok, I would still prefer the Bohrok (although Lehvak is probably on the same level as Levak-Kal for me).

Maxilos and Spinax, Maxilos has the same issues as Hydraxon, but it's worse becauseit means I can't by Spinax by itself which was a cool set, but not cool enough to justify the extra $ wasted buying Maxilos as well.

Bitil, what did they do to you?

Hydraxon, so bland it's almost painful. & what went wrong with that Mask? & why the 'wings'?

Are there any sets that you do like? /sarcasticjoke

:P

• Upvote 4

Archon                      

"For one to truly feel alive, the person must kill oneself a little bit each and every day."

Check out my MOC, one of the new generation of Toa on Spherus Magna!

***Toa Kyraan***

Lblis, I found the trainer of the Toa Mata to be the best of the 07 titans. He didn't look tubby like Karzaani, or as colortastic as Maxilos, and he wasn't a walking mouth like Gadunka. His looks give him that "I'm going to take you out cleanly and efficiently" feel.