All the Worst Bionicle Sets

aldero

Far and away, the bohrok va. They're cute and all, but as official sets, even in those early days, bad lego, bad. Didn't stop me from buy all 6 though. Curse you childhood me!

We're't they the first sets to have ball joint necks? I love the Va - what didn't you like about them?

• Upvote 2

IetTsFQ.png

Lblis, I found the trainer of the Toa Mata to be the best of the 07 titans. He didn't look tubby like Karzaani, or as colortastic as Maxilos, and he wasn't a walking mouth like Gadunka. His looks give him that "I'm going to take you out cleanly and efficiently" feel.

Fair enough, although, just in case;  I'm not trying to convince anyone else to dislike what I dislike here; just give my reasons for it :)

I never really know what to make of Karzahni because he's just so busy xD

Out of curiosity, what do you think of Nocturn?

Are there any sets that you do like? /sarcasticjoke

:P

Haha :P

I probably should mention something else (before someone actually does think I hate everything), but even at my most critical; I listed less than 100 sets there, & there are more than that which I do like :P

(This is all just concerning sets)

I easily like the majority of sets released in 2001, 2002, 2003, & 2005 (I don't really understand why people dislike the Hordika so much, I mean I normally dislike asymmetry but I think they pulled it off well).

I'm not a huge fan of the 2004 Matoran or the Vahki, but I don't think either were bad, I actually quite liked Krekka, so on average I felt it is a good year.

I really didn't like the Toa Mahri, but I think there were some great ideas in 2007, & I really like Carapar, Ehlek, & Nocturn, so on average it is a good year.

2008 was an ...interesting year, while I really wasn't a fan of many of the sets, I liked the look of most of the Makuta, & the Matoran look good, they just don't have very useful pieces (& they're very small sets as well), the Toa Phantoka would have been good, but they just didn't feel enough like Kopaka, Lewa, or Pohatu; at least given the explanation; so just as far as sets-in-a-void go, they were good; thus I like 2008 overall (from a set perspective).

But there was very little I liked about the sets in: 2006, 2009, & 2010.

I can see why 2010 turned out that way, & I feel 2006 was them trying out new ideas, but 2006 really didn't interest me. I'm glad 2006 happened, because it meant all the years after :P

As such I think I can fairly say I definitely like at least eight years out of ten, I just really struggled with '06 & '09. And across 10 years there are at (my) most (critical) < 100 sets I dislike; and a good 100~ I do like; and that isn't even counting the many combiners I like! (& I even liked some of the 'play sets') [& none of this is counting other random merchandise]
(& so much MOCing potential! :3)

So I'm not necessarily as negative as it may look, although I probably am much less positive than other people in this thread :P
As it is I like thirteen sets from G2 ;)

Somewhat more on topic though;

Oh and I'm not sure if he counts since he's a combo model, but GAARDUS. Gaardus is easily the worst looking Bionicle character ever created. He looks like everyone from the Stars line just got thrown into a blender and mixed into a giant cluster of random parts.

It still amazes me that that thing is official. No other official combiner get's close to the level of that thing :/

I mean I know the Mata Nui Cow gets a fair amount of flak, but it does have a distinct form to it, Gaardus well at least a fan actually managed to come up with a combiner for the STARS, which TLG didn't (have time for).

I suppose it is supposed to look monstrous given it's backstory.

But still, Krahka isn't that original which is often said to be justified because it was a shapeshifter that had taken the form of all the Toa Metru... but for the Toa Metru there are also Kralhi & Kraawa, were as the TLG didn't give any combiners to the STARS

~ Sophistry: A way to be antidisuncorrect. ~

In a decade you might convince maybe a small tribe of people.

In a decade you might also conquer one million km2 of land,

& in over a thousand years you might have over a billion followers.

I like building things. Please don't break the big ones.

& evidential philosophies that dare to extrapolate beyond

an individual's direct experience aren't easily built.

One set I have always disliked (not counting the pieces) is Gorast. I found her to have a pitiful design. Instant disappointment 

I think this one for me. It has a special place for me because my brother got Gorast for me for my birthday but it doesn't change the fact that the design is just off... 

Backwards Inika torso? IN BLEY? WHILE THE REST OF THE SET IS BLACK?!

Also I am not a huge fan of Umbra (colour-scheme), Gali Mistika, Hewkii Mahri and Baranus V7 (that set was just... messy). Also if we can count promo sets, Klakk and Click are pretty garbage.

-NotS

tahubanner.jpg

For me its Pohatu from the Phantoka the colors.

The orange was cool, but that's not what suits Pohatu.

For me, the worst set is probably Krika, Gorast, or Gavla. Krika's been covered, Gorast's cracked joints suck, and Gavla... Where do I begin? I also didn't think too highly of Klakk, even though I loved getting him.

Edited by Toa Varova

mindeth the cobwebs

For me, the worst set is probably Krika, Gorast, or Gavla. Krika's been covered, Gorast's cracked joints suck, and Gavla... Where do I begin? I also didn't think too highly of Klakk, even though I loved getting him.

What's wrong with Krika? I think he's great. My favourite Mistika Makuta.

bzpower selfmoc smiley.gif

Krika's cool, but I hate his cracking joints. My Krika's a cyborg now. TT_TT

Now that I think about it, maybe I was wrong...

mindeth the cobwebs

That's a little unfair to say, considering most sets from 8-10 had the cracking joint-issue. All of my Stars sets barely have any limbs intact. 

I assume by worst set the OP meant regarding set design. If we were judging this by piece strength then every post 06 set with lime-green are some of the worst (which is simply not true)

-NotS

tahubanner.jpg

That's a little unfair to say, considering most sets from 8-10 had the cracking joint-issue. All of my Stars sets barely have any limbs intact. 

I assume by worst set the OP meant regarding set design. If we were judging this by piece strength then every post 06 set with lime-green are some of the worst (which is simply not true)

-NotS

.........Lewa...........Lesovikk........

Lblis, I found the trainer of the Toa Mata to be the best of the 07 titans. He didn't look tubby like Karzaani, or as colortastic as Maxilos, and he wasn't a walking mouth like Gadunka. His looks give him that "I'm going to take you out cleanly and efficiently" feel.

Fair enough, although, just in case;  I'm not trying to convince anyone else to dislike what I dislike here; just give my reasons for it :)

I never really know what to make of Karzahni because he's just so busy xD

Out of curiosity, what do you think of Nocturn?

Are there any sets that you do like? /sarcasticjoke

:P

Haha :P

I probably should mention something else (before someone actually does think I hate everything), but even at my most critical; I listed less than 100 sets there, & there are more than that which I do like :P

(This is all just concerning sets)

I easily like the majority of sets released in 2001, 2002, 2003, & 2005 (I don't really understand why people dislike the Hordika so much, I mean I normally dislike asymmetry but I think they pulled it off well).

I'm not a huge fan of the 2004 Matoran or the Vahki, but I don't think either were bad, I actually quite liked Krekka, so on average I felt it is a good year.

I really didn't like the Toa Mahri, but I think there were some great ideas in 2007, & I really like Carapar, Ehlek, & Nocturn, so on average it is a good year.

2008 was an ...interesting year, while I really wasn't a fan of many of the sets, I liked the look of most of the Makuta, & the Matoran look good, they just don't have very useful pieces (& they're very small sets as well), the Toa Phantoka would have been good, but they just didn't feel enough like Kopaka, Lewa, or Pohatu; at least given the explanation; so just as far as sets-in-a-void go, they were good; thus I like 2008 overall (from a set perspective).

But there was very little I liked about the sets in: 2006, 2009, & 2010.

I can see why 2010 turned out that way, & I feel 2006 was them trying out new ideas, but 2006 really didn't interest me. I'm glad 2006 happened, because it meant all the years after :P

As such I think I can fairly say I definitely like at least eight years out of ten, I just really struggled with '06 & '09. And across 10 years there are at (my) most (critical) < 100 sets I dislike; and a good 100~ I do like; and that isn't even counting the many combiners I like! (& I even liked some of the 'play sets') [& none of this is counting other random merchandise]
(& so much MOCing potential! :3)

So I'm not necessarily as negative as it may look, although I probably am much less positive than other people in this thread :P
As it is I like thirteen sets from G2 ;)

Somewhat more on topic though;

Oh and I'm not sure if he counts since he's a combo model, but GAARDUS. Gaardus is easily the worst looking Bionicle character ever created. He looks like everyone from the Stars line just got thrown into a blender and mixed into a giant cluster of random parts.

It still amazes me that that thing is official. No other official combiner get's close to the level of that thing :/

I mean I know the Mata Nui Cow gets a fair amount of flak, but it does have a distinct form to it, Gaardus well at least a fan actually managed to come up with a combiner for the STARS, which TLG didn't (have time for).

I suppose it is supposed to look monstrous given it's backstory.

But still, Krahka isn't that original which is often said to be justified because it was a shapeshifter that had taken the form of all the Toa Metru... but for the Toa Metru there are also Kralhi & Kraawa, were as the TLG didn't give any combiners to the STARS

Also why is he wearing the golden armour?

• Upvote 1

bzpower selfmoc smiley.gif

I'll agree with that...

however, do you know what REALLY bothers me? Phantoka Kopaka...why? Did anyone else ever notice that the designers moved Kopaka's lens from his right to his left with the Phantoka mask? That FREAKIN BOTHERS ME 

• Upvote 3

evergrey_l01.gif

Other great bands:

Iron Maiden    Journey    Mercenary    The Unguided    Trivium

Boston    Stratovarius    Symphony X    Epica

Yeah lots of people seem to dislike the Hordika, but then plenty of people seem to like the Voya Nui Matoran; Both aimed to be somewhat 'warped', generally people say things along the lines of: the former being infected & monstrous; the latter being broken & 'repaired'.

I don't think the Hordika looked monstrous as such, but they did look beastly & twisted, but there sets seemed to have about the same amount of useful pieces; & the colour scheme seemed consistent but also conveyed a somewhat sickly look, but they still looked really cool to me; I ussually dislike asymmetry, but I thought there arms worked; it wasn't way over the top but it was very distinct; comparable to a typical Great Akaku (& Nuva versions) or Great Matatu; although the Hordika Masks weren't strongly evocative of the normal Masks, so overall they worked for me.

[& I preferred the Hordika Tools over the Metru Tools]

The Voya Nui Matoran did that broken & repaired look well, & they had a good amount of variation given their size, but some features looked a bit to odd for me (Bohrok eyes on odd places &/or colours for some), & they looked incomplete ...but where as the Hordika looked awkward it seemed obvious that was the intent, the Masks were to big for them, Baltas arms wobble too much for something without any gears, but generally they looked incomplete & it didn't necessarily look like they were meant to be that way as a set.

Good attempts at variety & reusing parts in a different way; but yeah.

I guess whether something pulls of these sorts of deliberately warped looks depends a lot more on the viewer than other things; seems very subjective: does something look deliberately not-right or not to you?

Gadunka was weird, head was too big and what was with those teeth and skinny limbs. But it's fun saying Gadunka (Gadunka).

Umbra had a horrific "colour scheme". There was something off about Icarax's proportions... and that's pretty much it. I think most of the other sets were pretty good, no glaring flaws like these ones.

• Upvote 1

I'll agree with that...

however, do you know what REALLY bothers me? Phantoka Kopaka...why? Did anyone else ever notice that the designers moved Kopaka's lens from his right to his left with the Phantoka mask? That FREAKIN BOTHERS ME 

You're not the only one disappointed by kopaka phantoka's lens position on his mask.

• Upvote 1

qs3135.jpg

I'll agree with that...

You're not the only one disappointed by kopaka phantoka's lens position on his mask.

What's the big deal? It's just a mask. It's not like they put his face backwards.

3: 8912 Toa Mahri Hewkii

What I am about to complain about also applies to some of the other Toa Mahri sets, but this Toa of Stone ends up being the worst. Matoro had a slightly awkward build, but still looked pretty good, and Kongu was bulky and lazily designed, but still consistent. Hewkii here doesn't really have any redeeming qualities. His build is really flimsy and weak, and the rest of his build is really awkward. Hewkii has chains again, like his Inika counterpart, which is... okay, he has a really strange mask that tries to substitute as armour, and fails at that, and he is just lazily built overall. Sorry Hewkii, not going to impress Macku.

I always thought Hewkii looked cool but I don't own one so I can't judge.

Umm...My least favorite set ever was probably the 2003 Makuta (Teridax) set. The mask didn't look like it did in the movie, the legs always kind of bothered me too, and I just feel like the set itself wasn't as big or as bad as it could've been. I really liked the Avhokki being used as hands, but other than that, the set has always kind of bothered me...

I always liked the set better than the movie but I probably like the one in bionicle the game most.

Kazi is the only set I dislike really. It's design is horrendous. :dead:

Looks fine to me.

Kopaka.png

stone_good.png

If you use correct grammar in your posts (or try hard to), place this in your signature. Join Myst's campaign for correct grammar usage on BZPower!

What about the Stars? And, of course, the Av-Matoran.

But really, Krekka is the worst. He's so boring.

Edited by Toa Green Ninja

"We didn't lose the battle. Today, we just lost the fight." -Lloyd Garmadon
ninjago-green-ninja.jpg
Avid collector of LEGO for many, many years. Feel free to private message me, or email me at greenninjaatcp@gmail.com, and I'll be happy to help. A ninja never quits!

Visit the Mixels Wiki! http://www.mixels.wikia.com

But really, Krekka is the worst. He's so boring.

The torso may have gaps, & the arms certainly have odd proportions; but he had a composite head which I thought was pretty cool & much more interesting than most other heads we've seen, the legs seemed a really solid build, and as odd as the torso may have been it also seemed like one that was actually made in an interesting way, we hadn't seen anything like that since Makuta :/

The set seemed to me like it wasn't the same thing we saw in the movie, but ignoring the movie, I really don't think he was that bad, seemed like they played around with a few many ideas (& left the arms behind), but I don't see how he was boring.

Hydraxon seemed boring & bland, more 'complete' than Krekka, but so very incredibly boring to look at or build IMO.

The Av-Matoran were truly painful from a building POV though...

The Agori were worse. They all had the same build. The Av matoran and shadow matoran st least used some unique bits between them.

I liked the wings/jetpacks of the Av Matoran, and their masks were all fantastic - but I disagree about the Agori. Some of their helmets were downright gorgeous (Berix and Zesk come to mind, Tarduk and Metus were also good), and some of their recolors/new parts were great (Raanu's shield, pretty much every piece on Berix, Tarduk's claws, Metus' shield, the list goes on). I also think the Av Matoran were less diverse than the Agori, but I'm not really complaining about that. 

IetTsFQ.png

I'm biased, I didn't much care for 09.

It's still not really fair to say that the Av-Matoran had better or more interesting builds than the Agori, though. Especially taking Zesk and Tarduk into account. Not to mention that the Agori had much better colors and parts.

AXKP5KC.png

Sickeningly bright colors.

And so what I like the av matoran better?

Its an opinion, not a fact.

That is an opinion, but it is not what you said, you said the Agori all had the same build, and that the Av-Matoran were more unique. That was stated as a fact, and it is also incorrect, which is what Dark Blue and I were getting to.

AXKP5KC.png