Whitewashing in the Bionicle fandom

SailorQuaoar

Again, dose it matter what OTHER artists do? OP?

Yes, it does. Because they're misrepresenting the franchise. And cultural ignorance is no excuse.

You guys would be mad if an artist/writer had a poor representation of women, right? So why let whitewashing slide? They're both bad.

BZP tears apart any artist who dares to draw "pinup" style Bionicle art. But yet you guy say nothing when it comes to this kind of stuff. That's a big double standard.

You're basically saying "I care about equal rights of all people...as long as you're white".

A franchise that was produced by the Danes, with some names based off of the Maori language, built into a sci-fi world filled with powerful masks and disks, shapeshifting monsters, and a planet-sized robot containing it all; a franchise which was then sent out into the world for people of all cultures and nationalities to enjoy.

It's not just for you. 

Look at it like this, as the same concept does apply:

BIONICLE is based off of more than just Polynesian culture.

T1S, that picture cracked me up, and is a good example here.

Sailor, I'm still surprised that you are still talking about this when multiple members bave pointed out multiple times how much Bionicle actually varies, and that the whole Maori thing is only a small part of it that was all but forgotten later on, unsurprising really when your story takes place insde a mechanoid that is as tall as the Earth's Diameter.

I honestly find your arguments somewhat racist, and as much as I try to avoid using this word, whinny. It seems that you're trying to shove your point of view down someone's throat. I hate that, especially when art is the topic as it's a personal part of the artist and what you're asking is for artists to do is to represent a part of you, as you're the only one that feels this way, in their art.

Also, regarding the pinup thing, remember that BZP is PG13, much to my personal discontent, and pinup art is not considered appropriate at that age level.

Edited by Tufi Piyufi
Racist jokes removed.

Archon                      

"For one to truly feel alive, the person must kill oneself a little bit each and every day."

Check out my MOC, one of the new generation of Toa on Spherus Magna!

***Toa Kyraan***

I didn't really want to get involved with this, but inspiriation struck me.  Bionicle is a sub-theme of Lego, which is a product designed for creativity.  To say that art based on a creative toy must be based on the "correct" culture is just... wrong.  I'm not saying that art based on Polynesian culture can't be creative, but there should be no limit on artistic creativity for other cultures/themes.

• Upvote 2