Quest For The Most Popular Bionicle Set: 2004 - Metru Nui and Silver

Toa Malachives

Favourite Set From 2004! Do not vote for more than one set per year  

85 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hello BZPower! I'm on holiday and bored so I decided to make a poll that I hope will make clear the most popular Bionicle set.

How it works: I am going to be going year by year making a poll on which there is an option for every set of that year and when I close them (probably in 1st January 2015) I will make a new poll consisting of the winners of each one which people vote on. PLEASE DO NOT VOTE TWICE ON A SINGLE POLL! Thank you :D!

I will not be counting: anything that isn't Lego, the Turaga Kabaya, any combiners that were not released by themselves (e.g. I will count Kardas but not the Toa Kaita), super rare things like the Piraka Kaita or Sand Tarakava and things like mask packs or Krana.

I will be counting: any standard sets in canisters or boxes, promotional (good/bad guy sets, click, ect), special editions (including combiners like Irnakk) and play-sets.

Keep in mind that these sets are in the forms they are in in that year.

Bionicle 2015: this will be only Gen 1 unless I decide otherwise.

Links to other years (will be updated as uploaded):

2001: http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/16148-quest-for-the-most-popular-bionicle-set-of-all-time-2001-the-beginning/

2002: http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/16163-quest-for-the-popular-set-2002-the-swarms/?p=796972

2003: http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/16164-quest-for-the-most-popular-set-2003-the-challenge-to-the-nuva/?p=797011

2004: On it now

2005: http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/16171-quest-for-the-most-popular-set-2005-darker-tones-and-the-visorak/?p=797330

2006: http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/16173-quest-for-the-most-popular-set-2006-yo-yo-piraka-and-old-matoran-given-new-life/?p=797400

2007: http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/16174-quest-for-the-most-popular-set-2007-into-the-darkness/

2008: http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/16184-quest-for-the-most-popular-set-2008-the-beginng-of-the-end/

2009: http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/16187-quest-for-the-most-popular-set-2009-bara-magna/

2010: http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/16188-quest-for-the-best-set-2010-the-brown-dwarfs/

Feel free to point out anything I've missed or argue with what I will and will not be counting (and anything I've missed in those!)

Matau: You should vote for me because I'm the awesomest! Though it will be hard not to vote for the hottie Nokama!

Nokama: *slap*

Toa Malachives: get back to your comedy!

Random BZPower Member: That was lame, Lewa0111 does it way better since he created it!!!!!!

A tribute thing to Ask Matau, my favourite comedy on this forum: http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/784-ask-matau/

Edited by Toa Malachives

What can I say? Onewa Metru is one of my favorite Toa of all the Toa sets. He has my favorite weapons, probably my favorite mask, my favorite eye color (in the form of a Metru brain stalk), and my favorite shade of brown.

I probably would have voted for Lhikan and the Kikanalo, but I never owned that set, and wasn't really around in 2004 to appreciate it at the time.

• Upvote 1

IetTsFQ.png

Well, butts. It seems in the second poll I accidentally chose Matau instead of None of the above. I am so attentive...

I actually voted for Onewa. It wasn't my first Toa Metru, but it was always my favorite, and it was my second Bionicle set overall. I loved his color scheme and I loved his mask and his weapons were great and he was just. Really cool. Also started a trend where I was rather partial towards the brown sets for a while--excluding Roporak, and until brown died, the brown sets always were my favorite. He's still one of my favorite sets.

• Upvote 1

AXKP5KC.png

Nidhki!

Fun set to build, and the technic mix well with it, & there was a fair bit of it. He looked really cool :3

Toa Lhikan & Kikanalo comes very close though,& I personally didn't mind Krekka (he had flaws, but they didn't bother me that much for whatever reason) (interesting to build)

[On a vaguely related note; I found the Vahki to be very boring compared to the Bohrok & Rahkshi, but Kranua was an awesome combiner]

~ Sophistry: A way to be antidisuncorrect. ~

In a decade you might convince maybe a small tribe of people.

In a decade you might also conquer one million km2 of land,

& in over a thousand years you might have over a billion followers.

I like building things. Please don't break the big ones.

& evidential philosophies that dare to extrapolate beyond

an individual's direct experience aren't easily built.

Well, butts. It seems in the second poll I accidentally chose Matau instead of None of the above. I am so attentive...

I actually voted for Onewa. It wasn't my first Toa Metru, but it was always my favorite, and it was my second Bionicle set overall. I loved his color scheme and I loved his mask and his weapons were great and he was just. Really cool. Also started a trend where I was rather partial towards the brown sets for a while--excluding Roporak, and until brown died, the brown sets always were my favorite. He's still one of my favorite sets.

If it impacts the verdict and I remember I will take it into account but it doesn't really matter as long as it isn't a very reoccurring thing for people in general

It really doesn't look like it will matter with Lhikan having most of the votes

Nidhki!

Fun set to build, and the technic mix well with it, & there was a fair bit of it. He looked really cool :3

Toa Lhikan & Kikanalo comes very close though,& I personally didn't mind Krekka (he had flaws, but they didn't bother me that much for whatever reason) (interesting to build)

[On a vaguely related note; I found the Vahki to be very boring compared to the Bohrok & Rahkshi, but Kranua was an awesome combiner]

I agree with all of that. I wish the 2004 titan's didn't receive so much hate; Nidhiki was a really clever set all around and Krekka wasn't nearly as bad as people make him out to be. I do prefer the future titans that used more Constraction pieces, but those two were still cool.

I also don't like the Vahki...they only had 33 pieces, their weapons are really silly (except for the white and black ones'), their reverse-function just looked weird and impractical, and they didn't have that many good parts - Bordakh's blades and the limb pieces are the exceptions.

I'm still trying to find a good use for the gigantic Vahki eye pieces.

• Upvote 1

IetTsFQ.png

Lhikan and Kikanalo

Tahu; Hau (x) Pakari (x) Kakama (x) Miru (x) Akaku (x) Kaukau (x). Lewa; Hau (x) Pakari (x) Kakama (x) Miru (x) Akaku (x) Kaukau (x). Onua; Hau (x) Pakari (x) Kakama (x) Miru (x) Akaku (x) Kaukau (x). Kopaka; Hau (x) Pakari (x) Kakama (x) Miru (x) Akaku (x) Kaukau (x). Pohatu; Hau (x) Pakari (x) Kakama (x) Miru (x) Akaku (x) Kaukau (x). Gali; Hau (x) Pakari (x) Kakama (x) Miru (x) Akaku (x) Kaukau (x). 

Vakama; Huna (x) Ruru (x) Komau (x) Mahiki (x) Matatu (x) Rau (x). Matau; Huna (x) Ruru (x) Komau (x) Mahiki (x) Matatu (x) Rau (x). Whenua; Huna (x) Ruru (x) Komau (x) Mahiki (x) Matatu (x) Rau (x). Nuju; Huna (x) Ruru (x) Komau (x) Mahiki (x) Matatu (x) Rau (x). Onewa; Huna (x) Ruru (x) Komau (x) Mahiki (x) Matatu (x) Rau (x). Nokama; Huna (x) Ruru (x) Komau (x) Mahiki (x) Matatu (x) Rau (x). 
Matoran; Hau (x) Pakari (x) Kakama (x) Miru (x) Akaku (x) Huna (x) 
Rahi; Infected Hau (x) Huna (x) Kakama (x) Komau (x) Pakari (x) Ruru ()

Promotional Kanohi - Vahi (x) Chrome Hau (x) Ruru (x) TNGM (x) Copper Huna (x) Copper Komau ()

An (x) means I have, a () means I dont.

Toa Lhikan and Kikanalo is hands down my favorite set of 2004. I've got great memories of recieving this set on Christmas day in 2004 and having a blast playing with the figures. Both Toa Lhikan and the Kikanalo are fun to build, have awesome designs and great overall appearances. 

Vakama could've gotten my vote, but the Kikanalo really adds to the set.

Ugh, another hard one for me. Really boils down to Nidhiki or Lhikan & Kikanalo - both interesting, unique sets and both very cool. I think I have to hand it to the Kikanalo though.

~|ET|~

• Upvote 1

E-T... Phone home.

"He walks among us, but he is not one of us."

Was initially thinking Lhikan, but decided to go with Nidhiki because his design was a bit more creative I think and still looked really cool. I also really liked Vakama and the Vahki in genreal (specifically the Onu and Ga ones).

• Upvote 1
photo-50441.gif

Credit to Pohuaki for the awesome banner! ^_^

Much as I love Matau and his Mahiki, you can't beat Lhikan on a Kikanalo with that Hau and those swords.

Edited by Jayk

15863836330_7c7ce4fb30.jpg

"And at the closing of the day              

She loosed the chain, and down she lay;              

The broad stream bore her far away,              

The Lady of Shalott."              

+

Lhikan and Kikanalo just looked really good, with Lhikan's old gold, Metru red, and lavaboards and the gunmetal accents in Kikanalo.  Honorable mention to Krekka for the unique build.

• Upvote 1

sqtd1i.png

^               Often lurking, occasionally writing about sets on BS01.                     

L     This link is a bit old, but there's still some good info about combiners there.

2004 is kind of an odd year for me in terms of sets. I think most of them have good builds, but their colors, which are usually a dark color, grey, and silver, make them very uninteresting to look at. Lhikan breaks this trend, however, by having a very good color scheme of dark red, gold, and a bit of black. He also gets some extra points for his role in the story as Metru Nui's legendary hero before the Toa Metru. Kikanalo is also pretty good, since he also has a fairly solid build, but I think Lhikan is definitely the main selling point of the set. Nidhiki is probably my second favorite from this year, since his design is pretty unique and his functions are interesting.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Matau, mostly because I never owned Lhikan or the Dark Hunters, but also because I love the Metru build. Thanks for the shout-out, too!

:mirunu: Lewa0111 Nuva :mirunu:

My Script Comedies: | The Nuva Inn Remake | Ask Matau! Remake (ACCEPTING QUESTIONS!) |

My Prose Comedies: | The BZ-Nui Hack Wars | Mata Nova |

ANNOUNCEMENT: The Nuva Inn is BACK IN BUSINESS!! (See my blog for more info on my writing projects)

ANNOUNCEMENT 2: Looking for voice actors and artists/animators for an upcoming video project! PM me if interested!

• 4 weeks later...