Quest For The Most Popular Set: 2005 - Darker Tones and The Visorak

Toa Malachives

Favourite set of 2005! One vote on one set!  

73 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hello BZPower! I'm on holiday and bored so I decided to make a poll that I hope will make clear the most popular Bionicle set.

How it works: I am going to be going year by year making a poll on which there is an option for every set of that year and when I close them (probably in 1st January 2015) I will make a new poll consisting of the winners of each one which people vote on. PLEASE DO NOT VOTE TWICE ON A SINGLE POLL! Thank you :D!

I will not be counting: anything that isn't Lego, the Turaga Kabaya, any combiners that were not released by themselves (e.g. I will count Kardas but not the Toa Kaita), super rare things like the Piraka Kaita or Sand Tarakava and things like mask packs or Krana.

I will be counting: any standard sets in canisters or boxes, promotional (good/bad guy sets, click, ect), special editions (including combiners like Irnakk) and play-sets.

Keep in mind that these sets are in the forms they are in in that year.

Bionicle 2015: this will be only Gen 1 unless I decide otherwise.

Links to other years (will be updated as uploaded):

2001: http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/16148-quest-for-the-most-popular-bionicle-set-of-all-time-2001-the-beginning/

2002: http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/16163-quest-for-the-popular-set-2002-the-swarms/?p=796972

2003: http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/16164-quest-for-the-most-popular-set-2003-the-challenge-to-the-nuva/?p=797011

2004:http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/16170-quest-for-the-most-popular-bionicle-set-2004-metru-nui-and-silver/

2005: On it now

2006: http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/16173-quest-for-the-most-popular-set-2006-yo-yo-piraka-and-old-matoran-given-new-life/?p=797400

2007: http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/16174-quest-for-the-most-popular-set-2007-into-the-darkness/

2008: http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/16184-quest-for-the-most-popular-set-2008-the-beginng-of-the-end/

2009: http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/16187-quest-for-the-most-popular-set-2009-bara-magna/

2010: http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/16188-quest-for-the-best-set-2010-the-brown-dwarfs/

Feel free to point out anything I've missed or argue with what I will and will not be counting (and anything I've missed in those!).

Roporak: CHESSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Suukorak:...

Suukorak's subtitles: (you did a reference last time and it still isn't good or funny).

Ask Matau tribute thing, Ask Matau is by Lewa0111 and is my favourite comedy on BZPower, here is a link: http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/784-ask-matau/

Edited by Toa Malachives

This was a bad year for sets, IMO, since the Hordika were ugly and the Visorak were too spindly for my taste. But the titan sets were pretty decent, and I voted for the one that pretty much coined the term "Keetongu Orange." B-)

:music:

I gotta say, Iruni was my personal favorite. Epic colors, a cool weapon combo, nice functionality.....

just a shame he's been scrapped for parts

Currently Working On: City of the Fallen - Character Building and Script Writing

To Do: City of the Fallen - Voice Acting and Animation, Deathmatch - Character Building and Script Writing

"Wherever you go, you had better be looking over your shoulder - because one day I will be there. And I promise you it will be the last thing you will ever see."
— Lesovikk to Karzahni, Dreams of Destruction

It's a tie between Keetongu and Sidorak. On the one hand, Keetongu introduced one of my favorite colors. On the other hand, I've never owned him, only Sidorak.

Sidorak was a really solid set, his weapon was cool/fun, really the only thing I didn't like about him was his head. It didn't look much like a face.

Keetongu's weapon was also awesome, and his face was really creative, but he did always look kind of gappy to me in the photos.

IetTsFQ.png

I always loved the Visorak, especially Keeleak with the vivid color scheme, sleek design and menacing spider look.

Archon                      

"For one to truly feel alive, the person must kill oneself a little bit each and every day."

Check out my MOC, one of the new generation of Toa on Spherus Magna!

***Toa Kyraan***

Voted for Toa 'Iruini' (I choose that on set grounds not character gunds regardless)

But I really liked the Toa Hordika, the Visorak seemed... I don't think they were any worse than the Vahki over all.

The Rahaga were awesome(ly)-cute though :3

Some of the best parts of the Rahkshi nice & cheap and still very nice looking!

But Toa Iruini looked cool, had a nice set & frankly he beats the Hordika (individually) on weapons (& piece count helps), otherwise I think Matau would have one.

I suppose the general Titan>Normal>Impulse...

Hard to choose between Gaaki, Iruinu, & Kualos, thankfully I don't have to!

~ Sophistry: A way to be antidisuncorrect. ~

In a decade you might convince maybe a small tribe of people.

In a decade you might also conquer one million km2 of land,

& in over a thousand years you might have over a billion followers.

I like building things. Please don't break the big ones.

& evidential philosophies that dare to extrapolate beyond

an individual's direct experience aren't easily built.

Roodaka :)

Tahu; Hau (x) Pakari (x) Kakama (x) Miru (x) Akaku (x) Kaukau (x). Lewa; Hau (x) Pakari (x) Kakama (x) Miru (x) Akaku (x) Kaukau (x). Onua; Hau (x) Pakari (x) Kakama (x) Miru (x) Akaku (x) Kaukau (x). Kopaka; Hau (x) Pakari (x) Kakama (x) Miru (x) Akaku (x) Kaukau (x). Pohatu; Hau (x) Pakari (x) Kakama (x) Miru (x) Akaku (x) Kaukau (x). Gali; Hau (x) Pakari (x) Kakama (x) Miru (x) Akaku (x) Kaukau (x). 

Vakama; Huna (x) Ruru (x) Komau (x) Mahiki (x) Matatu (x) Rau (x). Matau; Huna (x) Ruru (x) Komau (x) Mahiki (x) Matatu (x) Rau (x). Whenua; Huna (x) Ruru (x) Komau (x) Mahiki (x) Matatu (x) Rau (x). Nuju; Huna (x) Ruru (x) Komau (x) Mahiki (x) Matatu (x) Rau (x). Onewa; Huna (x) Ruru (x) Komau (x) Mahiki (x) Matatu (x) Rau (x). Nokama; Huna (x) Ruru (x) Komau (x) Mahiki (x) Matatu (x) Rau (x). 
Matoran; Hau (x) Pakari (x) Kakama (x) Miru (x) Akaku (x) Huna (x) 
Rahi; Infected Hau (x) Huna (x) Kakama (x) Komau (x) Pakari (x) Ruru ()

Promotional Kanohi - Vahi (x) Chrome Hau (x) Ruru (x) TNGM (x) Copper Huna (x) Copper Komau ()

An (x) means I have, a () means I dont.

Toa Iruini got my vote. He is built with my favorite Toa design and looks fantastic with his overall appearance, including his spear and Rhotuka shield. Roodaka would've gotten my vote, but she contains too much black and silver for my taste. Toa Iruini is also special edition and that makes me like his set more. 

It's a coincidence that I recieved both of these sets on my birthday in 2005.

Hmmm, didn't The Shadowed One combiner get released as a magazine/comic exclusive thing you could order?

~Bionicle Online Games Guru~
Current Bionicle Sets: 232/250
2001: 23/24 2002: 20/21 2003: 22/22 2004: 22/22 2005: 23/23
2006: 16/22 2007: 22/22 2008: 25/27 2009: 26/26 2010: 4/6
2015: 18/18 2016: 11/17

Finally, not a very hard choice for me heh. The Toa Hordika I rank up there as some of my least favorite sets. While I enjoyed the Visorak, I don't consider any of them particularly memorable. The playsets weren't all that exciting to me either.

So that leaves the titan sets, with Keetongu as a clear standout. Though Roodaka wasn't horrible, all things considered. She also wasn't yellow though lol.

~|ET|~

Edited by Electric Turahk

E-T... Phone home.

"He walks among us, but he is not one of us."

Iruini was a close second, but since he was basically a Toa Metru with some extra pieces I chose Matau Hordika, the first set I got that year. Honestly, 2005 was one of the worst years for sets - I might have enjoyed other years less, but there is no year in Bionicle where the sets were as consistently unappealing to me. 

That said, at the very beginning of the year when I first got Matau Hordika I was really excited, so boom.

• Upvote 1

Keetongu all the way. Toa Iruini is a close second though. I wasn't a big fan of the Hordika, though I loved the whole army of Visorak thing though. WoS was my favorite of the Bionicle movies. I loved how creepy the Visorak were at the beginning.

10331959915_9f4d0b34c7.jpg
"Avengers? Fantastic Four? X-Dudes? They can all kiss my bony, flammable plastic."- Johnathan Blaze (Ghost Rider Vol 7 0.1)

I was really close with voting Toa Iruini but I had to give it to Keetongu; not only was he our first keetorange and a really cool set (and character, although that's not the criteria) but I remember planning to and succeeding in getting Keetongu, whereas Iruini was a surprising and conveniently marvelous gift. And since he wasn't a Metru build, Keetongu gets uniqueness points. I don't think we've ever really had a set quite like Keetongu before or after.

( That reminds me, I gotta go rebuild Iruini -- I know I could've have lost all his gold armor, and all his green parts are right here on my grey-less Matau )

Edited by Pomegranate

pomegranate-banner-sm.png .

Sidorak, Roodaka, and Keetongu all hold a special place in my heart as being the last titan sets before the Inika torso came out. And though his head looks weird, Keetongu definitely is the best of the three. 

"What we see depends mainly on what we look for" -John Lubbock

Although not many people like this year of sets it was my favorite year, I chose Vakama Hordika and the Battle For Metru Nui Playset as my favorites but overall this is my favorite year for BIONICLE 

Go check out our Youtube channel! We review BIONICLE and other LEGO related items!
https://www.youtube.com/user/RandomReviewerBros

Iruini.  Perfect armor for the Metru build, great way to use the Rhotuka spinner.  Wish we could've gotten the rest of the Hagah, the two we did really nailed that heroic, well-armed warrior Toa look.

15863836330_7c7ce4fb30.jpg

"And at the closing of the day              

She loosed the chain, and down she lay;              

The broad stream bore her far away,              

The Lady of Shalott."              

+

Keetongu had a pretty neat torso build to integrate the function, and I love the spinning shields, too.  Also, the introduction of Keetorange!

Now that I think about it, that color could've easily wound up being called Oohnorange, due to Oohnorak's legs... Glad that didn't happen.

sqtd1i.png

^               Often lurking, occasionally writing about sets on BS01.                     

L     This link is a bit old, but there's still some good info about combiners there.

• 2 weeks later...

This is a pretty cool idea, wish I'd stumbled on this sooner! My vote goes to Keelerak, though I did like quite a lot of sets from this year. The Visorak just had a really unique and cool build, and Keelerak in particular was the first one I bought.

:mirunu: Lewa0111 Nuva :mirunu:

P.S. I appreciate the shout-out, thanks! :)

My Script Comedies: | The Nuva Inn Remake | Ask Matau! Remake (ACCEPTING QUESTIONS!) |

My Prose Comedies: | The BZ-Nui Hack Wars | Mata Nova |

ANNOUNCEMENT: The Nuva Inn is BACK IN BUSINESS!! (See my blog for more info on my writing projects)

ANNOUNCEMENT 2: Looking for voice actors and artists/animators for an upcoming video project! PM me if interested!