Most Overrated And Underrated Bands

pls respond

like you've never made a typo.he probably liked tech n9ne better than tech nine.as for the meaning of the name, another rapper (i wanna say it was gucci) told tech he 'spat it like a nine', nine being a 9mm. (its a pistol).

Edited by ~JC~

3DS: 3711-9364-3152

PSN:          AidecVoros

Is Florence + The Machine still underrated?I know that they were basically unheard of in the states before their performance on "So You Think You Can Dance," but it seems they're getting more airtime now. (airplay? playtime? which is it?)

Edited by Keizah the Kaleidoscope

steven-giantwoman-b.gif

[æzɚæθ mɛtriɔn zɪnθos]

Angels and Airwaves is underrated. :P

I prefer Blink and +44.
Blink isn't underrated, and +44 neeeeds to make another album! :P They're pretty underrated too, though.
Blink's new album was a disappointment. Agree entirely with +44.

SAY IT ONE MORE TIME 

TELL ME WHAT IS ON YOUR MIND

• 2 weeks later...

Overrated: I think most bands/musicians have the correct amount of popularity, people have different tastes in music. The only thing though is RAP. RAP is completely obnoxious. Almost everyone I know agrees with me. Whatever rap artists are popular, I say they are all overrated.Underrated: This one I know right off the bat. Celldweller. He is just brilliant. And it goes WAY beyond than just him playing every instrument. He started his own freakin' company and record label, and he gave artists that can't go to major record labels a chance to have a career.

Most rap is overrated yes, but personally, there're two rappers who actually are kinda underrated and make amazing music. Lupe Fiasco and Tinie Tempah.As for underrated Bands/musicians, Adam Roth and Broken Iris.

I've been searchin' for the daughter of the Devil Himself,

​I've been searchin' for an Angel in White,

​I've been lookin for a woman who's a little of both,

​and I can sense her but she's nowhere in sight,
Cause I can't find a banner ;_;

Overrated? Well most of the music out there. Some special gems, but most of it doesn't appeal to me and others.What is truly underrated and under-appreciated is trailer music. it combines many aspects of different genres and time periods with classical music, and though it is unknowingly listened to a lot, it is still largely unrecognized. Groups like Two Steps From H*ll, AudioMachine, and Immediate Music deserve a lot more attention then they are getting.At the same time, it's an acquired taste, so It can't be expected to be liked en masse. http://www.bzpower.com/board/public/style_emoticons/default/confusedw.gif

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Spherus Magna redo | Tzais-Kuluu  |  Pushing Back The Tide  |  Last Words  |  Black Coronation  | Blue Man Bound | Visions of Thasos   ن

We are all but grey specks in a dark complex before a single white light

Overrated: I think most bands/musicians have the correct amount of popularity, people have different tastes in music. The only thing though is RAP. RAP is completely obnoxious. Almost everyone I know agrees with me. Whatever rap artists are popular, I say they are all overrated.

oh man you are so open-minded, let me applaud you.

He started his own freakin' company and record label, and he gave artists that can't go to major record labels a chance to have a career.

because no one has ever started an independent record label before himever Edited by Idunnolol
nhsYE.jpg

And it's not like anyone else has ever been a multi-instrumentalist, either. Not like John Paul Jones and Ian Anderson both play a lot of instruments.Now, playing a lot of instruments is good, yeah. Doesn't make you a god.

We will remember - Skies may fade and stars may wane; we won't forget

And your light shines bright - yes so much brighter shine on

We will remember - Until the skies will fall we won't forget

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

Not only that but along those same line, Tinie Tempah, a rapper, started his own record lable, if i recall - Disturbing London.

Overrated: I think most bands/musicians have the correct amount of popularity, people have different tastes in music. The only thing though is RAP. RAP is completely obnoxious. Almost everyone I know agrees with me. Whatever rap artists are popular, I say they are all overrated.

rap is basically poetry set to music and it just sounds good. i think YOUR obnoxious.i don't mind tinie. i'm glad he was on x factor, was definitely good for him. Edited by ~JC~

3DS: 3711-9364-3152

PSN:          AidecVoros

well duh, with a name like that they're obligated to have good music.bands need to live up to their names. they need to realize that they're obligated to fit the title they've given themselves. i can't tell you how disappointed i was when i picked up a Killers album expecting thrash metal because of their name...

This topic so far

If a tree falls in a forest and we're too far away to hear it, did a tree fall?

Vs.

If a tree falls in a forest and we're too far away to hear it trees don't exist and never will.

Bands have to live up to their name?Really?Bands make a name for themselves. Look at a band like Linkin Park. Their band name doesn't describe what their music is. Band Names shouldn't dicatate what you expect from a band. So of course, unless it was sarcasm, i couldn't see it(Sides with a name like Floater wouldn't you... well expect bad music?) :P

speaking of linkin park, completely overrated.their old albums all sounded the same, and their new ones sound whiny and even worse than they were before. that band needs to go away, they're long overdue.

This topic so far

Vs.

If a tree falls in a forest and we're too far away to hear it trees don't exist and never will.

I'm not going to start a Debate but Meteora was their best album, followed by Minutes to Midnight. All others but that had only one or two "Gem" songs in them.I laugh at all the LP hate, i really do. It's not like there're eighties bands that're overrated. Oh no.Don't get me wrong, i love eighties rock. But music from that era can be just as overrated as music now.

they sounded different though. linkin park writes the same song over and over.

This topic so far

Vs.

Depends on how you think.I find music i enjoy and I enjoy it. For example, Numb and Breaking the Habbit are totally different songs, sound totally different, and thus, are totally different.Not to insult but the "They all sound the same" are the words of someone who's never actually given them a good listen.

Not to insult but the "They all sound the same" are the words of someone who's never actually given them a good listen.

i have. breaking the habit is a totally dull song that has no notable climax and sounds the same through the whole thing.their more recent songs sound different, sure, but still bad. numb is a poor example because it is an older song of theirs that sounds like MANY of their other songs.there's so, so many bands out there that deserve mention, but slipped through the cracks and never became big. linkin park is sitting under the spotlight in the seat that belongs to those bands. linkin park is a weak, boring band that writes songs that either sound the same as something they've done before, or is new but very bland/annoying.
This topic so far

Vs.

Not to insult but the "They all sound the same" are the words of someone who's never actually given them a good listen.

i have. breaking the habit is a totally dull song that has no notable climax and sounds the same through the whole thing.their more recent songs sound different, sure, but still bad. numb is a poor example because it is an older song of theirs that sounds like MANY of their other songs.there's so, so many bands out there that deserve mention, but slipped through the cracks and never became big. linkin park is sitting under the spotlight in the seat that belongs to those bands. linkin park is a weak, boring band that writes songs that either sound the same as something they've done before, or is new but very bland/annoying.
There are lots of songs that sound the same and have no notable climax. Many of them by many of the bands who you would say "Deserve" what Linkin Park has.How is Numb a poor example, and how is every song of theirs bad (as you seem to be saying)? I've listened to a lot of Linkin Park, and while yes, they do have some bad/bland songs, i must argue that not every song is such. That's what i mean when i say that you've never given them a good listen. If you had, you'd have something better to comment with than the same hate i've seen repeated over and over again.Then again, music is made to make you relate to something. be it an event or Feeling. Maybe i'm biased, because I relate. For instance, some people relate to heavy metal and thus, like it. I for one do not, and refuse to listen to heavy Metal. Not that I have anything against the Genre or particular bands, i just don't like the brand of music. Because I can't relate.The only thing that i'm going to say is that, just like in real life, no one "deserves" anything. People get what they work for, and while yes, less popular bands may be overshadowed by the popular ones, saying that Linkin Park doesn't deserve what they got is like saying someone doesn't deserve their paycheck.They did the work. They caught a lucky break. Whether or not they deserved it in your eyes is irrelevant, because they've worked to keep what they earned.

(Sides with a name like Floater wouldn't you... well expect bad music?) :P

If you think the name implies bad music, you should see the album covers (their latest album has a picture of a jellyfish on it).You can find their music on Grooveshark.
I was replying to BBCCD's comment about how he was disappointed that "The Killers" weren't heavy metal. And that the name of a band should reflect their music.Through that logic, the name "floater" would, in some dictionaries, imply Bad Music.I for one don't care what a Band is called. It doesn't, and shouldn't, affect your expectations of music.I'm sure Floater is a good band, with good music. I wasn't saying they weren't.

Yeah, the Linkin Park hate is overrated. =<

I agree Valenti, considering many of the people hating on it (as said above) have listened to maybe one or two songs of theirs and formulating an opinion from there. While not neccessarily bad, what bothers me is when people immediatly condemn an entire genre or band simply because they don't like one song. If people actually gave more bands a chance, i'm sure most people could find at least one song by every band they listened to.Example of this being the fact that I can't stand Rap music. And yet I listen to Lupe Fiasco and Tinie Tempah. Why? Because while I hate rap in general, they're to rappers who actually write songs that A: i can relate to (it's all about relation with me) and B: sound good, aren't filled with curses, and actually have a bit of a message.

Then again, music is made to make you relate to something.

so you're still in middle school then? because that's the only way i can see someone relating to linkin park's incredibly deep messages.

I agree Valenti, considering many of the people hating on it (as said above) have listened to maybe one or two songs of theirs and formulating an opinion from there. While not neccessarily bad, what bothers me is when people immediatly condemn an entire genre or band simply because they don't like one song. If people actually gave more bands a chance, i'm sure most people could find at least one song by every band they listened to.

are you actually using the "you have to listen to everything by an artist before you can make a judgement!" argument? seriously? most bands (LP included) have a fairly consistent sound throughout at least each album, so if i listened to one song from each album and didn't like anything i think it's safe to say that i don't like that band.also: CRAAAAWWWLLLIINNNNGGGG IN MY SKIIIIIIIIIN.
nhsYE.jpg

Then again, music is made to make you relate to something.

so you're still in middle school then? because that's the only way i can see someone relating to linkin park's incredibly deep messages.

I agree Valenti, considering many of the people hating on it (as said above) have listened to maybe one or two songs of theirs and formulating an opinion from there. While not neccessarily bad, what bothers me is when people immediatly condemn an entire genre or band simply because they don't like one song. If people actually gave more bands a chance, i'm sure most people could find at least one song by every band they listened to.

are you actually using the "you have to listen to everything by an artist before you can make a judgement!" argument? seriously? most bands (LP included) have a fairly consistent sound throughout at least each album, so if i listened to one song from each album and didn't like anything i think it's safe to say that i don't like that band.also: CRAAAAWWWLLLIINNNNGGGG IN MY SKIIIIIIIIIN.
That happens to be one of the songs i don't like.And i happen to be canadian.So yeah, i'm in junior high. Essentially your version of Middle School.And yes, i am using that argument. Not the one where you have to listen to everything. but the one where you have to listen to more than two or three songs.Example being Coheed and Cambria.I hated the first four songs of theirs I heard.The fifth i loved.And don't even get me started on relating to Linkin park. luckily for most people they didn't, and don't have, the family life I do.=)So please, don't hate. I don't usually defend Linkin park. Especially after A Thousand Suns. But I will here, because it's one thing not to like something. it's another to hate on it.

Yeah, the Linkin Park hate is overrated. =<

Agreed, although I can't really appreciate the band myself. This is probably because I associate the band with my older brother. However, that's probably the exception, rather than the rule for haters. Most haters seem to flame Linkin Park simply because they're popular, which isn't really fair to the band or people with genuine reasons not to like them. Edited by Keizah the Kaleidoscope

steven-giantwoman-b.gif

[æzɚæθ mɛtriɔn zɪnθos]

On a different subject entirely, I'm not entirely sure where to place Tim Curry on the over-underrated scale. On the one hand, he's got songs I'm rather fond of, but on the other, the fact that he's really rather famous as an actor (including at least one film that features him singing) confuses the issue. The rather large number of fans the Rocky Horror Picture Show has may mean that he's technically safe from being underrated, even though his three actual albums seem just a tiny bit obscure.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

Who ever said I loved them?The main problem i have with people who don't like Linkin park is not that they don't like Linkin Park. I'm not the kind of person to go "OMG YU HORRIBUL PERSUN SHUUUUUN" just because you don't like something. What i don't like is the hate on Linkin Park. Express your distaste, sure. but don't go "THEY DON'T DESERVE ANY OF THEIR POPULARITY"Besides, I havn't listened to Linkin park properly in months. I don't love them. I relate to the subject matter of some of their songs. I have no love to give for the band. The sole musical "love" i give is to Broken Iris.And "There's better stuff" is all opinion, so it's an irrelevant argument.So really, i could be a total arse and say "You're really using the argument of "there's better stuff?"But i won't, because as far as I care, you aren't.And sure, maybe there's a bit of teenage Angst, but there's a lot of that in my life too. Hence. I relate.

eh i just assumed you loved them because you jumped to their defense pretty fastby the way everything in this topic is an opinion so if you wanna go that route this whole topic is irrelevanti just see them as music for people who got called a nerd by somebody in middle school, that's all

nhsYE.jpg

I Jumped to their defence because, as i said, hate doesn't sit well with me.Dislike, go ahead. But hate on something - anything, even rap. and i will defend it. Simply because that's who I am and how i roll. :PAs for the Opinions, indeed that's what it is. But an Opinion can be stated without being hate, which is where i stepped in.And if that's what you associate Linkin Park with than you went to a seriously messed up Middle School.I got, get, and will be called a Nerd forevermore, but that ain't why i listen(d) to LP.Regardless, i don't think anything more needs to be said on the subject so i'm going to go ahead and stop right here. Only times i really get into a Musical debate are when hate starts and since that's pretty much nonexistant now, no more debate is needed :)

And if that's what you associate Linkin Park with than you went to a seriously messed up Middle School.I got, get, and will be called a Nerd forevermore, but that ain't why i listen(d) to LP.

my middle school was fine, i just associate LP with middle school because their lyrics are written on that level
nhsYE.jpg

Bah, that's the ones that get time on the radio. There is good rap out there, it's just that clever poetry and actual meaning isn't what sells.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom