Review: Hydranus' Log

Makuta Luroka

This is the review topic for Hydranus' Log. It is a long epic detailing the chronicle of Luroka's efforts to accomplish his mission, spanning over 100,000 years. This journal will (hopefully) be updated weekly on Tuesdays. All discussion of the epic belongs here.

Edited by Makuta Luroka

bBhcfWO.png

I like it so far. So how quickly will we go about the said >100000 years?

-Rahkshi Guurahk
GENERATION 3: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
If I actually tried putting all the stuff I like on here, the sig would burst.

d1O9dXQ.png

(This banner is created by http://www.bzpower.com/board/user/59020-onaku/ )

Now this is cool. I like the atmosphere created by your way of wording things; it is somewhat timeless which makes sense both in the 'transcribed memories'- as well as the '100,000 years'-context. I'm curious to see whether it will change once the entries are no longer transcribed memories but Hydranus own.

The end of chapter two implies that you need a matoran for the 'birth' of a makuta?

20210512_strollin_banner.jpg

My art collection topic - updated! (21/09/2021)

Now this is cool. I like the atmosphere created by your way of wording things; it is somewhat timeless which makes sense both in the 'transcribed memories'- as well as the '100,000 years'-context. I'm curious to see whether it will change once the entries are no longer transcribed memories but Hydranus own.

The end of chapter two implies that you need a matoran for the 'birth' of a makuta?

Wait and see...

bBhcfWO.png

Here's the review I promised you, Luro. :)

Your style here is very terse and to-the-point. Luroka himself is fascinating in the pre-Brotherhood role you've cast him. He acts as an agent of destiny, yet he only has goals, no step-by-step instructions, which makes him a fascinating blend of omniscient deity and dogged errand boy. I'll give you the obligatory warning: no character should be without personal challenges, that is, they should make mistakes based on their own flaws, for a story about a character who never does anything wrong is hard to get invested in. Your world building and intrigue is compelling, though, and you clearly know how to tell a mystery, which could probably carry this whole story my itself.

As others have said, I'll be interested to see how, if at all, Hydanus' voice differs from Luroka's. I would encourage you to try to differentiate their respective perspectives, especially by adding more detail, although I also respect how much you leave to the reader's imagination. Needless you say, I'll be following you.

• 3 weeks later...

I had trouble finding yonder review topic. Perhaps Mr. Luroka forgot to link me here from the story, or perhaps I was too engrossed in the story to find the link. 

It feels clear that you have uniquely mastered the Makuta voice. Of course he emerged from the antidermis pool first, of course the errands are somewhat of an insult but need to be done, and the selfishness of this creature is profoundly reflected in the overuse of the word I. He is very much an independent thinker, answering to no one, even fellow members of his own kind. Excellent. 

I got mildly mixed up in the order and quantity of errands on the first read - first a Matoran, then something else, then a Turaga with the same request he made to the Matoran? It probably had to do with the lack of names, but that is unavoidable due to the casual disregard a Makuta would have for the identities of his servants. 

• 3 months later...
  • 9 months later...