Kanoka Powers

ALVIS

So, as we all know, there are eight "basic" Kanoka powers: shrink, enlarge, freeze, teleport, remove poison, weaken, regenerate, and reconstitute at random. Those powers somehow combine to create the multitude of esoteric powers found in Kanohi masks. Greg Farshtey has clarified that a fused disk has the power of the Kanohi it would become if forged. That means that an enlarge + regeneration fused disk is a Kanoka of Shielding.

How do you think these Kanoka work? Would they have to be thrown in order to unleash their power, or could they be used by a being holding them? I would think that there must be some limitation to a Kanoka's powers, since Matoran wouldn't make them into Kanohi if they gained nothing by doing so. But how does the rest of S&T feel about accessing Kanoka powers?

"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
-- Harlan Ellison

Maybe knock it against yourself?

Add me on 3DS: 0516-7750-0068

Add me on Wii U: Boidoh

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 4: Never Trust a Snake

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 44: Corridor of Elders

Like, Comment, And Subscribe for Nintendo Content - NinBoidoh

Well, if you wanted to use a Kanoka of shielding, let's say a laser-shooting Rahi is approaching you. We know that with a Hau shield, nothing gets in or out, so we can assume it will do the same. The disk will hit the Rahi and activate, forming a protective bubble around it that will eventually wear off. The lasers it fires will not hit you, since they'll hit the shield. Or you could shoot yourself with it.

• Upvote 1

I HATE SCORPIOS

~Pohatu Master of Stone, 2015

lematoran_facedisk_by_katuko.gif

Disk of Regeneration: How I like to imagine it works. Most of the disks are only made so that they can then be shaped into masks, I think. It's just easier for the Matoran than trying to pour molten protodermis directly into a complex mold.

Edited by Katuko
  • Upvote 7

For some reason I don't think that Matoran use disks of speed very often. *Matoran smashes self with speed disk* *runs around crazily*

Water Breathing I think could be useful. *Matoran clocks self with disk underwater* But for the most part I think the Matoran don't use those combo disks and instead make them into masks. Much easier to use. 

I think the Disk of Strength would be something like the Chi from Chima.

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 4: Never Trust a Snake

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 44: Corridor of Elders

Nope. I don't even know what story relevance those sets had. 

I guess the major limitation of Kanoka vs. Kanohi is that Kanoka would be one-use, whereas Kanohi can be used multiple times.

"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
-- Harlan Ellison

I guess the major limitation of Kanoka vs. Kanohi is that Kanoka would be one-use, whereas Kanohi can be used multiple times.

That's a myth. Kanoka aren't one-use. 

Toa Vakama lost Kanoka due to enemies or them falling into molten proto, not them suddenly losing power. They do lose power over time, but so do Kanohi.

• Upvote 1

They do lose power over time, but so do Kanohi.

And even then, Kanoka lose roughly 5 levels worth of power in the process of making them into Kanohi, implying that they should actually last longer than Kanohi do under constant use, unless they blow a ton of energy upon impact in addition to what gets used in manifesting the power upon the target.
  • Upvote 1

Of course it's also easier to look at something and lift it off the ground, instead of having to shoot it with a Kanoka of Telekinesis and hope it goes where you want it to. I'm fuzzy on the details of how mental control works with disk powers, especially since Matoran could apparently steer disks from Ga-Metru mentally. It was also never clear to me how exactly you "ride" a disk in Akilini. Do you grab on tight, or do you stand on it like a surfboard? Is it launched from some sort of device in the arena, or do you just pick it up and jump? The rules of the game seem to imply that you surf, but I've only seen images of Matoran in chutes clutching disks to their chest, never any art of standing on them.

Edited by Katuko

But... matoran can't use masks.

Keep in mind powered protodermis other than masks doesn't have to only be used for Kanoka. I think they usually use Kanoka for things other than self-use powers, and could make tools to carry for those instead.

But yeah, if they want to... headbang. :P

Okay... not the head in most scenarios (that might smash their mask!). But yeah. Or tap it with a finger really fast or the like.

• Upvote 1

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

Keep in mind powered protodermis other than masks doesn't have to only be used for Kanoka. I think they usually use Kanoka for things other than self-use powers, and could make tools to carry for those instead.

But yeah, if they want to... headbang. :P

Okay... not the head in most scenarios (that might smash their mask!). But yeah. Or tap it with a finger really fast or the like.

Does that mean powered protodermis could be made into something wearable like armbands that activate with impact? Even made into powered armor with the same skill Kanohi are made? That would be so incredibly handy, and double as wearable decoration even when their power fades. Akilini and other games already cover the sport application well, but imagine if the powered protodermis was worn instead of thrown? Could Matoran unburdened by having to physically carry large disks potentially commission fresh Kanoka fashioned into armor and conventional tools/weapons that would make them as defensively and offensively capable as Toa when doing difficcult jobs ,or dealing with Rahi? Or even just going off and doing heroic stuff with a range of easily accessible albeit weak powers? That would be incredibly neat.

Edited by Pomegranate

pomegranate-banner-sm.png .

I think a kanoka's power can be used when it hits something hard. The intense and quick transfer of momentum causes the disk to activate its power. This is just my theory though, cause I think it would be a little OP for a disk's power to activate so softly.

• Upvote 1