Su Matoran cannonisation idea

Hello there.

So basically my idea is we ask Greg to canonise if the Su Matoran can be made as rare as Ba Matoran. Or at least rarer than other types.

Now before anyone gets annoyed at me for wanting more stuff canonised just hear me out.

Plasma is a powerful element as a whole, being able to melt through stuff, including enemies if they went rogue (stars are made of plasma). Su Matoran have a similar Matoran ability to Ta Matoran (heat resistance). Its not a huge lore changing idea its just I don't see too many of them roaming around, not to mention we have Fire Toa who are able to use a heat based power. Also I don't think this would change THAT much, considering we've only had two Plasma Toa shown in the story (One in an Alt dimension).

But before asking anything I thought I'd post it here, what do you guys think? Like it? Hate it? Don't care?

• Upvote 4

Tahu; Hau (x) Pakari (x) Kakama (x) Miru (x) Akaku (x) Kaukau (x). Lewa; Hau (x) Pakari (x) Kakama (x) Miru (x) Akaku (x) Kaukau (x). Onua; Hau (x) Pakari (x) Kakama (x) Miru (x) Akaku (x) Kaukau (x). Kopaka; Hau (x) Pakari (x) Kakama (x) Miru (x) Akaku (x) Kaukau (x). Pohatu; Hau (x) Pakari (x) Kakama (x) Miru (x) Akaku (x) Kaukau (x). Gali; Hau (x) Pakari (x) Kakama (x) Miru (x) Akaku (x) Kaukau (x). 

Vakama; Huna (x) Ruru (x) Komau (x) Mahiki (x) Matatu (x) Rau (x). Matau; Huna (x) Ruru (x) Komau (x) Mahiki (x) Matatu (x) Rau (x). Whenua; Huna (x) Ruru (x) Komau (x) Mahiki (x) Matatu (x) Rau (x). Nuju; Huna (x) Ruru (x) Komau (x) Mahiki (x) Matatu (x) Rau (x). Onewa; Huna (x) Ruru (x) Komau (x) Mahiki (x) Matatu (x) Rau (x). Nokama; Huna (x) Ruru (x) Komau (x) Mahiki (x) Matatu (x) Rau (x). 
Matoran; Hau (x) Pakari (x) Kakama (x) Miru (x) Akaku (x) Huna (x) 
Rahi; Infected Hau (x) Huna (x) Kakama (x) Komau (x) Pakari (x) Ruru ()

Promotional Kanohi - Vahi (x) Chrome Hau (x) Ruru (x) TNGM (x) Copper Huna (x) Copper Komau ()

An (x) means I have, a () means I dont.

As someone who wrote a Toa/Matoran/Turaga of Plasma fanfiction, I support this motion. Doesn't it kind of go without saying that they aren't a huge part of the population, though? We haven't encountered a single Su-Matoran in-story, so not sure why it has to be clarified, but I'll go for it. 

(Tacker does not appreciate the misspelling in the topic title, however. It's bad enough that Av-Matoran turn into Bohrok.)

• Upvote 2

Canonically, they could (and should) have been part of the extermination by the Makuta that lead to the low numbers of Fe- and Ba-Matoran. A Toa of Plasma could easily kill a Makuta given half a chance (as in incinerate their antidermis, I can't promise anything against the 42 powers).

I think I'm with Fishers on this one. I've written a Toa of Plasma as well, and they're pretty OP. In fact, they're so powerful, my story was about how hard it was for them to use any bit of their powers without killing everything. :P

• Upvote 1

Canonically, they could (and should) have been part of the extermination by the Makuta that lead to the low numbers of Fe- and Ba-Matoran. A Toa of Plasma could easily kill a Makuta given half a chance (as in incinerate their antidermis, I can't promise anything against the 42 powers).

It was Fe and Fa Matoran that had their Toa exterminated by Makuta. Ba Matoran and their Toa were just rarer than other types. Although there have been 3 Toa of Gravity mentioned in the storyline and only 2 Toa of Plasma mentioned, 1 of which was in the Dark Mirror Alt universe.

In any case I'll let a few more members weigh in on this one, however I don't have a Lego Message Board account so I can't ask Greg about it. If someone was able to do that, once there's a better consensus about it that would be good. Plus an addition to Gen 1 cannon from myself would be kinda cool, no matter how small.  :P

Edited by -The Doctor-

Tahu; Hau (x) Pakari (x) Kakama (x) Miru (x) Akaku (x) Kaukau (x). Lewa; Hau (x) Pakari (x) Kakama (x) Miru (x) Akaku (x) Kaukau (x). Onua; Hau (x) Pakari (x) Kakama (x) Miru (x) Akaku (x) Kaukau (x). Kopaka; Hau (x) Pakari (x) Kakama (x) Miru (x) Akaku (x) Kaukau (x). Pohatu; Hau (x) Pakari (x) Kakama (x) Miru (x) Akaku (x) Kaukau (x). Gali; Hau (x) Pakari (x) Kakama (x) Miru (x) Akaku (x) Kaukau (x). 

Vakama; Huna (x) Ruru (x) Komau (x) Mahiki (x) Matatu (x) Rau (x). Matau; Huna (x) Ruru (x) Komau (x) Mahiki (x) Matatu (x) Rau (x). Whenua; Huna (x) Ruru (x) Komau (x) Mahiki (x) Matatu (x) Rau (x). Nuju; Huna (x) Ruru (x) Komau (x) Mahiki (x) Matatu (x) Rau (x). Onewa; Huna (x) Ruru (x) Komau (x) Mahiki (x) Matatu (x) Rau (x). Nokama; Huna (x) Ruru (x) Komau (x) Mahiki (x) Matatu (x) Rau (x). 

Promotional Kanohi - Vahi (x) Chrome Hau (x) Ruru (x) TNGM (x) Copper Huna (x) Copper Komau ()

I agree with this! It would make up for the extra heat resistence that I absolutely hate. :P

• Upvote 1

Archon                      

"For one to truly feel alive, the person must kill oneself a little bit each and every day."

Check out my MOC, one of the new generation of Toa on Spherus Magna!

***Toa Kyraan***

I'm iffy on declaring it like this. Matoran were basically as rare as the story required; since we only ever knew of a few Su-Toa, they could have been rare, but I don't see much value in declaring it one way or the other.

Well if they are commonplace then we have two common Matoran who both use a heat based elemental power.

• Upvote 1

Earth and Stone are pretty closely related, yet those were a staple pair. Vakama once absorbed heat in order to make ice. There's always going to be overlap here and there.

Yes, however stone is actual rock, while earth is soil, so a mix of small particles of several kinds of minerals. Also while both are strong, neither is particularly overpowered compared to each other, barring external circumstances. Plasma is quite powerful, like I wouldn't be at all surprised if some have accidentally killed an opponent, simply from an underestimation of their own power output. Also if we remember Ba Matoran were made less common due to Gravity being one of the most powerful elements.

Vakama once absorbed heat in order to make ice.

One more thing I strongly dislike in canon, BTW.

If fire-wielders can control ice, why have ice-wielders?..

Its not control, its just absorbing the ambient heat of the environment, which results in the lack of, or cold.

Also I registered on the LMB so I wont need someone to ask Greg for me.

Edited by -The Doctor-
  • Upvote 1

I'm indifferent on this one. It doesn't matter whether it is canonized or not.

Add me on 3DS: 0516-7750-0068

Add me on Wii U: Boidoh

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 4: Never Trust a Snake

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 44: Corridor of Elders

Like, Comment, And Subscribe for Nintendo Content - NinBoidoh

It could work, but like -The Doctor- said, it was Toa of Iron and Magnetism that posed a particular threat to the Makuta. As I understand, the danger was to the Makuta armor itself; when it comes to incinerating antidermis, even a Toa of Fire would probably be able to pull it off without much trouble.

There's also a simpler explanation for why we never seem to see any Su-Matoran. We know they have a greater degree of heat resistance than even Ta-Matoran IIRC -- perhaps their entire range of comfortable temperatures is simply higher, making most regions outside their own settlements dangerously cold for them.

That would actually also help prevent Toa of Plasma from being too OP -- what if they have to constantly expend a portion of their elemental power just to keep themselves from getting hypothermia? :P

-------------------------------------
bohrok_lol.jpg
Rate The Song Above You

I partially agree with this idea.
In the first place, Plasma is already a less common element, as all secondary Elemental Powers compared to the six primary ones. Secondly, Gravity is the least represented of all, for its possibly dangerous repercussions as you said, -The Doctor- ;). But, even if Plasma is a dangerous element (as all BIONICLE elements according to theirs uses, BTW), it remains more contrallable and less destructive than Gravity (one of the four fundamental interactions in the universe, just that :P ). Don't forget that Ba-Toa can't absorb their element: if a Ba-Toa unleash a too powerful elemental attack, he should have to "spread out" the gravity energy for not to cause big damages. In this case, a Su-Toa would just have to absorb his element and the problem would be solved.

For the "dobloon with Ta-Toa" argument, it's not an isolated case in BIONICLE, like with Stone/Earth, Lightning/Magnetism and even Fire/Ice as wrote Dorek (and theoretically, by inverting Vakama's exemple, a Toa of Ice might create fire by "absorbing" cold).

And for the number of known Su-Toa, it's just due to a decision from GregF or/and the Story Team in my opinion: all additionals Toa from Serials or Books couldn't be all Su-Toa. The first Su-Toa, killed by Zaktan, was certainly a "gitf" for us (if I don't make a mistake, the fans asked to GregF to canonize the Bohrok-Kal Elements at that time, like Plasma), and the secondary was used for a pratical purpose: vaporized the Kojol's Antidermis.
The fact that there is more Toa of Gravity than Toa of Plasma follows this logic: Gravity was always a popular element, so GregF used it more often.

So, after all, I can't see real reasons so that Su-Matoran are rare as Ba-Matoran.

Yes, however stone is actual rock, while earth is soil, so a mix of small particles of several kinds of minerals.

The problem is that they contained both minerals ;)
I always thought that the difference was that those of the stones are structurally organized, contrary to those of the soils.

Edited by Du7734

Well, first off, congratulations on being the first to embrace the new system of canonization discussion. This is a step in the right direction.

It makes sense to me for them to be rare. However, it's kind of already assumed that they would be, since they're a secondary element. IIRC, it's been said before that secondary-element Matoran were rarer than the six core elements.

Ultimately, I'm indifferent; I don't feel that it needs to be asked, but I'd support doing it if enough people want to.

• Upvote 5
"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
-- Harlan Ellison

Well, let's think for a moment. Su-Matoran could produce plasma/Fuel for the GSR's rockets, something not even Ta-Matoran would be willing to touch. Hence, you;d only really need one large village of them, perhaps on the Southern Continent, producing whatever keeps the fuel tanks topped up. So if a single Metru has something like a thousand Matoran, there may only have been a few hundred Su-Matoran in history, with maybe one or two turning into a Toa.

• Upvote 4

:r: :e: :g: :i: :t: :n: :u: :i:

Elemental Rahi in Gen2, anyone? A write-up for an initial video for a G2 plot

I really wish everyone would stop trying to play join the dots with Gen 1 and Gen 2 though,it seems there's a couple new threads everyday and often they're duplicates of already existing conversations! Or simply parallel them with a slightly new 'twist'! Gen 2 is NEW, it is NOT Gen 1 and it is NOT a continuation. Outside of the characters we already have I personally don't want to see ANY old characters return. I think it will cheapen the whole experience to those of us familiar with the original line...

Shall I make this a poll or should I just ask Greg personally? I can just ask him if it would be a good idea to make a poll though in my question.

Well, let's think for a moment. Su-Matoran could produce plasma/Fuel for the GSR's rockets, something not even Ta-Matoran would be willing to touch. Hence, you;d only really need one large village of them, perhaps on the Southern Continent, producing whatever keeps the fuel tanks topped up. So if a single Metru has something like a thousand Matoran, there may only have been a few hundred Su-Matoran in history, with maybe one or two turning into a Toa.

Yeah, that's close to my line of thought in my earlier post. I like this idea.

Heck, you could even place them further south than the Continent. BS01 says only that very few of the Southern Islands were settled by Matoran, not that none were -- so we could easily have one village of a hundred Su-Matoran in each foot, and that would probably be sufficient for the job.

• Upvote 1

bohrok_lol.jpg
Rate The Song Above You

Now this is something that actually makes sense to be canonized. Not saying the other recent canonizations didn't make any sense. I just felt that they were extremely unnecessary.

You gotta be joking. The other canonizations gave characterization where there previously was none. With this one... erm... I don't know what it does... It was already said that secondary elements were rarer.. By virtue of the fact that we almost never saw any says something about them... Yes they are rare.

Add me on 3DS: 0516-7750-0068

Add me on Wii U: Boidoh

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 4: Never Trust a Snake

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 44: Corridor of Elders

Like, Comment, And Subscribe for Nintendo Content - NinBoidoh

Now this is something that actually makes sense to be canonized. Not saying the other recent canonizations didn't make any sense. I just felt that they were extremely unnecessary.

You gotta be joking. The other canonizations gave characterization where there previously was none. With this one... erm... I don't know what it does... It was already said that secondary elements were rarer.. By virtue of the fact that we almost never saw any says something about them... Yes they are rare.

I was taking more about the Fiku Nui, Turaga Lhikan set, etc. The Toa Mangai of Plantlife is cool to have although I feel it shouldve stayed at that. The Kanohi the the Toa Mangai use as well as their weapons seems to be like fans are trying to get every single niche and cranny of information from an already saturated universe. Thats just my opinion and I am entitled to it. 

But this canonization here actually makes sense to have and it would explain many why Su-Matoran werent actually present in the original storyline.

• Upvote 2

Remember that the Ba-Matoran were rarer than even the other secondary elements because an out of control ("glitched") Toa (or even Turaga, if he is clever with his limited powers) of gravity could threaten the Great Spirit Robot.  Given that the power of a Toa of plasma would also be a threat, I think it is logical to extend this limit to the Su-Matoran.  

• Upvote 1

Posted on the LMB about this. If he says its fine should it be canonised by his word, or would some of you still like a poll? I personally see it being minor enough that it would be okay without one and just his word but if anyone thinks otherwise please do say.

Edited by -The Doctor-
  • Upvote 1

Posted on the LMB about this. If he says its fine should it be canonised by his word, or would some of you still like a poll? I personally see it being minor enough that it would be okay without one and just his word but if anyone thinks otherwise please do say.

Since it's not really a multiple choice question, I'd say just go with his word. Nothing in canon contradicts it, and it would impact very little. 

~Your friendly, neighborhood Shadow

sotpbanner.png

~Credit for Avatar and Banner goes to

NickonAquaMagna~

Since it's not really a multiple choice question, I'd say just go with his word. Nothing in canon contradicts it, and it would impact very little. 

Well okay then :)

Some others might disagree with me when I say that, of course, but since it's really just a matter of saying "Yes, they're as rare as the Ba-Matoran," or "No, they're about as common as a Ta-Matoran in a foundry," I'd say there's not much to debate (most of the responses in this topic seem to suggest that a majority is for it, anyway :P ). Just bring the verdict back here and we'll go from that. :)

~Your friendly, neighborhood Shadow

sotpbanner.png

~Credit for Avatar and Banner goes to

NickonAquaMagna~

Some others might disagree with me when I say that, of course, but since it's really just a matter of saying "Yes, they're as rare as the Ba-Matoran," or "No, they're about as common as a Ta-Matoran in a foundry," I'd say there's not much to debate (most of the responses in this topic seem to suggest that a majority is for it, anyway :P ). Just bring the verdict back here and we'll go from that. :)

My first post was rejected, so re- done. Odd they didn't want me mentioning BZP, considering that I've seen it in other posts in that Greg chat topic.

Yeah, it seems really minor, plus no one is rustled, so I think it's all fair game. :)

Archon                      

"For one to truly feel alive, the person must kill oneself a little bit each and every day."

Check out my MOC, one of the new generation of Toa on Spherus Magna!

***Toa Kyraan***

Greg has responded to your query. Unfortunately, I think the whole mess about the Toa Mangai has made him wary of further canonization, and he says it's more likely that they were simply not active in locations we saw in the story. :/

Hello Greg, an idea I've had which hopefully you can shed some wisdom on. Basically my idea is that much like Ba Matoran are a rarer type of Matoran, would it be okay if Su Matoran (Matoran of Plasma) are also canonised as a rarer type of Matoran.

Plasma is a powerful element as a whole, stars are made of plasma. Su Matoran have a similar Matoran ability to Ta Matoran (heat resistance). Its not a huge lore changing idea its just I don't see too many of them roaming around, not to mention we have Fire Toa who are able to use a heat based power. Also I don't think this would change THAT much, considering we've only had two Plasma Toa shown in the story (One in an Alt dimension).

I wouldn't be at all surprised if a new Toa of Plasma had underestimated their own power output and done more than what was intended, eg melting an entire door when they only meant to destroy the lock.

What do you think, is it minor enough for you to canonise? Please give me your feedback

Also unrelated but would you say since the Kraahkan is made of Protosteel its fair to say that the Avohkii is also made of Protosteel?

Thankyou and have a wonderful, day, night, whatever time you read this at.

Second question first - since the Kraahkan was made under different circumstances than the Avohkii, I can't see why there would need to be a similarity in materials here.

As for the first question - rather than doing another canonization, wouldn't it make just as much sense to say that since Plasma Matoran lived somewhere other than Metru Nui, Toa of Plasma were much more active in that region. We simply did not see much of them because our story was largely focused on Metru Nui and its environs.

"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
-- Harlan Ellison

Greg has responded to your query. Unfortunately, I think the whole mess about the Toa Mangai has made him wary of further canonization, and he says it's more likely that they were simply not active in locations we saw in the story. :/

Hello Greg, an idea I've had which hopefully you can shed some wisdom on. Basically my idea is that much like Ba Matoran are a rarer type of Matoran, would it be okay if Su Matoran (Matoran of Plasma) are also canonised as a rarer type of Matoran.

Plasma is a powerful element as a whole, stars are made of plasma. Su Matoran have a similar Matoran ability to Ta Matoran (heat resistance). Its not a huge lore changing idea its just I don't see too many of them roaming around, not to mention we have Fire Toa who are able to use a heat based power. Also I don't think this would change THAT much, considering we've only had two Plasma Toa shown in the story (One in an Alt dimension).

I wouldn't be at all surprised if a new Toa of Plasma had underestimated their own power output and done more than what was intended, eg melting an entire door when they only meant to destroy the lock.

What do you think, is it minor enough for you to canonise? Please give me your feedback

Also unrelated but would you say since the Kraahkan is made of Protosteel its fair to say that the Avohkii is also made of Protosteel?

Thankyou and have a wonderful, day, night, whatever time you read this at.

Second question first - since the Kraahkan was made under different circumstances than the Avohkii, I can't see why there would need to be a similarity in materials here.

As for the first question - rather than doing another canonization, wouldn't it make just as much sense to say that since Plasma Matoran lived somewhere other than Metru Nui, Toa of Plasma were much more active in that region. We simply did not see much of them because our story was largely focused on Metru Nui and its environs.

Yeah I saw. =/ Ah well. Life rolls on.

Just pointing out, plasma=hot is not always true. There are "cold plasmas" that exist at ambient temperature and are in fact safe to touch. So Su-Matoran might not need heat resistance from a thematic standpoint.

• Upvote 2

( The bunny slippers hiss and slither into the shadows. ) -Takuaka: Toa of Time

What if the Toa you know best were not destined to be? Interchange: The epic begins

Just pointing out, plasma=hot is not always true. There are "cold plasmas" that exist at ambient temperature and are in fact safe to touch. So Su-Matoran might not need heat resistance from a thematic standpoint.

Name at least one application of such plasma that doesn't require techno- or magicbabble.

TOO LATE.

IT WAS ALWAYS TOO LATE.

Name at least one application of such plasma that doesn't require techno- or magicbabble.

Plasma Globes? some think they look pretty, &/or are fun to play with... It's a type of gas with a electrical current going through it

& don't you think Plasma requires a techno-(&/or)magic-babble in the first place? & if others don't care about that, why would they care about this?

Sure many might have Plasma = super-hot gas, which seems to be what the Bionicle version runs on, but spitballing an idea is still offering an idea :)

• Upvote 1

~ Sophistry: A way to be antidisuncorrect. ~

In a decade you might convince maybe a small tribe of people.

In a decade you might also conquer one million km2 of land,

& in over a thousand years you might have over a billion followers.

I like building things. Please don't break the big ones.

& evidential philosophies that dare to extrapolate beyond

an individual's direct experience aren't easily built.