Promotional Toa Videos Released

tn_12_16_14-promotional-toa-videos.png

The BIONICLE channel on the LEGO.com Videos section has been released and along with it not only the videos we already knew and the episodes released today, but also six promotional 30-second videos for each of the Toa. The animation is fantastic and I love the music but I'm honestly not all that fond of the voice acting - I suppose you could explain Gali sounding male with the fact that these are probably supposed to represent tales as told by the Protectors but I still think they could sound a bit more natural and distinctive in some cases. I did like the voice acting performance on the episodes so far, so maybe I just need to get used to it - it sounded better upon watching them a second time. See it for yourself and share your opinions in the forums!

UPDATE: The videos are also available on BIONICLE.com in the Characters section.

View the full article

• Upvote 2

These are some fantastic videos! Even with more or less the same script for all six, they're very dramatic, and it's cool to hear the narrator's vocal range.

Gali's voice is not quite as good as I had hoped for (I've heard audiobooks where a male narrator could pull off a more convincingly female voice), but it is at least different from the others in a way that I think suits Gali's personality, rather than being as generic as, say, the voices in the 2007 Toa Mahri mini-movie. I might very easily warm up to it with time, and I'm sure it will be less jarring when delivered between narration rather than as straight monologue.

Edited by Aanchir
  • Upvote 2

Honestly, if there's one of the voices that REALLY clashed with how I expected the character to sound, it was Lewa. I expected a reckless adventurer like him to sound younger and more chipper. Gali's voice did not have the sound I expected from her, but it was delivered with the personality that I expected from her.

• Upvote 6

Man, these videos are awesome! :) However, there are some things that I noticed. Gali's voice sounds like a male, and since when the Toa have British and Aku-accents from Samurai Jack?

In my opinion, the Toa could have sounded better if they are voiced by at least two to six voice actors instead of one.

I like Lego, Bionicle, and Hero Factory!:)

Looks like Pohatu is our first Toa of Tornadoes! :P

Joking aside, these are all really cool videos. If anyone wasn't a fan of this kind of animation before, these videos will probably change their minds. :) Though I do wish some of them had a different voice actor...

• Upvote 3

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

Looks like Pohatu is our first Toa of Tornadoes! :P

Joking aside, these are all really cool videos. If anyone wasn't a fan of this kind of animation before, these videos will probably change their minds. :) Though I do wish some of them had a different voice actor...

Yeah! Or Spinjitzu or Tasmanian Devil! LOL, but awesome! :)

I like Lego, Bionicle, and Hero Factory!:)

Pohatu - Master of Spinjitsu. :P

EDIT: Ninjago'd

Edited by Boidoh
  • Upvote 4

Add me on 3DS: 0516-7750-0068

Add me on Wii U: Boidoh

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 4: Never Trust a Snake

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 44: Corridor of Elders

Like, Comment, And Subscribe for Nintendo Content - NinBoidoh

Anyone else getting the feeling we'll be seeing these 6 on television screens soon? Their length and the classic message about asking for permission before going online (despite being posted online first heh) definitely have me thinking so.

And I personally feel they would be wonderful TV spots for the new line.

~|ET|~

E-T... Phone home.

"He walks among us, but he is not one of us."

Anyone else getting the feeling we'll be seeing these 6 on television screens soon? Their length and the classic message about asking for permission before going online (despite being posted online first heh) definitely have me thinking so.

~|ET|~

Certainly would be unique, most (if not all) modern lego ads use a mixture of CGI and live action. 

It's time to move on.

~|ET|~

That's certainly what I figured. Their brevity seems well-suited to a TV spot.

Of course, I doubt they'll serve as the actual set commercials, seeing as they critically lack any images or video of the actual sets and their functions. These seem like they're meant solely to promote the online story media, which is probably a good strategy if they want the story to be more prominent and accessible than BionicleStory.com had been.

Edited by Lyichir
  • Upvote 3

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Presenting Pohatu the new national hero of Australia (the queen ought to give him a knighthood). 

I'd prefer Pohatu as the current Prime Minister than... uhh, you know?

Anyway, I really enjoyed Kopaka's video. The others were good aswell. I wouldn't be surprised if these videos air on television as commercials, though I doubt I'd see them based on where I live.

• Upvote 2

Presenting Pohatu the new national hero of Australia (the queen ought to give him a knighthood). 

I'd prefer Pohatu as the current Prime Minister than... uhh, you know?

Tony Abbot, I don't live in Aus but my sisters boyfriend is from there, I remember when he was in the country he said he didn't like him much, let's drop this conversations before Australians who might like him send this topic into one heck of a flame war. 

• Upvote 2

It's time to move on.

~|ET|~

That's certainly what I figured. Their brevity seems well-suited to a TV spot.

Of course, I doubt they'll serve as the actual set commercials, seeing as they critically lack any images or video of the actual sets and their functions. These seem like they're meant solely to promote the online story media, which is probably a good strategy if they want the story to be more prominent and accessible than BionicleStory.com had been.

Now that's a good idea. I was envisioning tacking on a quick shot of the sets at the end (rather reminiscent of the CGI commercials), but a separate ad campaign for the media side of things seems much better.

~|ET|~

• Upvote 2

E-T... Phone home.

"He walks among us, but he is not one of us."

I don't like how they're all the same. 

Steam Name: Toa Hahli Mahri. Xbox Live Gamertag: Makuta. Minecraft Username: ThePoohster.

Wants: 2003 Jaller (from Jaller and Gukko), Exo-Toa, Turaga Nuju, Turaga Vakama, Shadow Kraata, Axonn, Brutaka, Vezon & Fenrakk, Nocturn, ORANGE FIKOU.

I got rid of my picture, are you happy?

You mean the scripts, or the voices?

I actually don't mind the scripts being the same. It makes it feel like a sort of a mantra or a message of solidarity. And I think the voices are different enough to feel unique, though I know some other people don't feel that way.

You mean the scripts, or the voices?

I actually don't mind the scripts being the same. It makes it feel like a sort of a mantra or a message of solidarity. And I think the voices are different enough to feel unique, though I know some other people don't feel that way.

My only real problem is Gail's man-voice and Lewa's voice. While their dialogue was written in character, their voices don't even sound like those toa. I mean even Lewa's body language shows a completely different take on the character then his monotone voice.

16311869655_9f57a9bb3b.jpg

Who touched Sasha! WHO TOUCHED MY GUN!

Wow these are awesome! Very reminiscent of the old individual Toa CG vids done by Ghost back in 2001 - but these are more action-packed and I really like how fast-paced they are. :) The animation is beautiful! The battle against the Skull Spiders for the golden masks ranges from being kind of humorous to really intense but they are full of fun.

As for the narration... eh, I guess he's trying but I kind of wish they got different voice actors for each Toa. Of course, speaking Gali's lines is problematic, but Kopaka and Lewa sound pretty similar, Tahu is WAY too gruff, Pohatu's Australian accent and Onua's more kinda Austrian accent are kind of hilarious.

Pretty nice though. :) Really hyping this up before the launch in January! 

-NotS

tahubanner.jpg

A few people seem to think Pohatu sounds Australian, do any Australians think this? o.O

'Cause at best my friend thought it sounded vaguely like Hugh Jackman voicing Wolverine :/

I just thought it sounded like a painful attempt at sounding deep, (also kinda gravely...) sounding like a (very, very) Broad Australian accent, at the "Crocodile" Dundee extreme (pro tip: socioeconomics aside, that extreme is somewhat analogous to the way rednecks [not general south] speak in the USA...)

So that's not close to the Australian accent's that you would hear most Australians speak, but generally accents&dialects that aren't in an area one has been exposed to much are probably going to sound pretty much the same to people... (attuning and so on...)

The voice isn't really one I like but I think it's okay for it's purpose: you know it's not another character ;)

~ Sophistry: A way to be antidisuncorrect. ~

In a decade you might convince maybe a small tribe of people.

In a decade you might also conquer one million km2 of land,

& in over a thousand years you might have over a billion followers.

I like building things. Please don't break the big ones.

& evidential philosophies that dare to extrapolate beyond

an individual's direct experience aren't easily built.