LEGO Elves Teaser

tn_12_17_14-lego-elves-teaser.png

LEGO has published a teaser website for the new LEGO Elves theme. LEGO Elves is the first theme after LEGO Friends to use the so-called mini-dolls instead of the classic minifigures. It seems like it will be primarily targeted at girls but there is no reason per se why boys shouldn't be able to enjoy it as well. The teaser website features little more than a teaser video that hints that there may actually be a story with animated episodes to accompany the theme. The story seems to be about a young girl who enters a fantasy world inhabited by four (apparently elementally themed) elves in the search of four keys but unfortunately the video tells little more than that. The full site will launch March 2015 so that's plenty of time to speculate!

View the full article

• Upvote 1

tn_12_17_14-lego-elves-teaser.png

LEGO has published a teaser website for the new LEGO Elves theme. LEGO Elves is the first theme after LEGO Friends to use the so-called mini-dolls instead of the classic minifigures. It seems like it will be primarily targeted at girls but there is no reason per se why boys shouldn't be able to enjoy it as well. The teaser website features little more than a teaser video that hints that there may actually be a story with animated episodes to accompany the theme. The story seems to be about a young girl who enters a fantasy world inhabited by four (apparently elementally themed) elves in the search of four keys but unfortunately the video tells little more than that. The full site will launch March 2015 so that's plenty of time to speculate!

View the full article

Ummm...

"LEGO Elves is the first theme after LEGO Friends to use the so-called mini-dolls instead of the classic minifigures."

What about Lego Disney Princesses?

Also, the teaser is... interesting. I'm curious to see where this goes. The sets look nice, and maybe I'll buy one for parts or something...

Edited by SuperGeniusCreator

The artist formerly known as

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

BBC#69 Entry: Roodaka - Master of Manipulation

BFTGM entries: Zigben · Ventox · Deflecto

Hail Denmark.

Ummm...

"LEGO Elves is the first theme after LEGO Friends to use the so-called mini-dolls instead of the classic minifigures."

What about Lego Disney Princesses?

You are totally right about that. I've updated the article accordingly. Thanks for the heads-up!

- Gata

signoffLarge.png

Please don't use my avatar or signature without permission, thanks! ^_^

Why is that elf packing a tattoo?

Steam Name: Toa Hahli Mahri. Xbox Live Gamertag: Makuta. Minecraft Username: ThePoohster.

Wants: 2003 Jaller (from Jaller and Gukko), Exo-Toa, Turaga Nuju, Turaga Vakama, Shadow Kraata, Axonn, Brutaka, Vezon & Fenrakk, Nocturn, ORANGE FIKOU.

I got rid of my picture, are you happy?

I'm really impressed with everything I've seen about this theme so far! The character designs look gorgeous, as does this teaser!

Why is that elf packing a tattoo?

They all are. On their shoulders AND faces! It might relate to their elemental powers in some way. From a practical standpoint, it's decorative and helps them feel more exotic and otherworldly.
  • Upvote 1

Oh help [ :P] Friends way okay, but this... [:P] It's like Disney got hold of Belville and crossed it with their pink-iest franchise...  :begging: [:P]

Really? To me it seems significantly less pink than their other girl-oriented lines. If anything, its focus is lavender.

Besides colors, this line looks like it has more in common with Bionicle and Ninjago than it does with any of their previous girl-oriented themes.

• Upvote 4

Oh help [ :P] Friends way okay, but this... [:P] It's like Disney got hold of Belville and crossed it with their pink-iest franchise...  :begging: [:P]

Really? To me it seems significantly less pink than their other girl-oriented lines. If anything, its focus is lavender.

Besides colors, this line looks like it has more in common with Bionicle and Ninjago than it does with any of their previous girl-oriented themes.

Duh. [:P] You know what I mean [:P]

O_o Really? [:P] You're comparing fairies to Bionicle? O_O

cLT23Pz.png

O_o Really? [ :P] You're comparing fairies to Bionicle? O_O

Let's see. Heroes with elemental powers, a quest to recover magical relics, an unearthly setting full of magic and mystery, creative element-inspired character names... yep, the comparison's definitely there to be made, just as it was with Ninjago.

• Upvote 3

Ninjago: Ninja, Samurai, human-sized snakes, massive mechs, ultimately evil overlords...

Bionicle: Biomechanical beings with incredible powers, richly detailed personal stories and characteristics that run deeper than Makuta's envy, an overall storyline that's so mindblowing it tops Harry Potter and LotR, etc. etc.

Elves: ....Well... Elves. With tattoos. [:P] I mean, come on. How you can even start to compare them is beyond me [:P] It's like comparing Black Beauty to MLP [:P]

Also, Ninjago never had elementally-inspired names, at least in none of the foremost characters. [:P] And Bionicle only had that in it's first year [:P]

cLT23Pz.png

Ninjago: Ninja, Samurai, human-sized snakes, massive mechs, ultimately evil overlords...

Bionicle: Biomechanical beings with incredible powers, richly detailed personal stories and characteristics that run deeper than Makuta's envy, an overall storyline that's so mindblowing it tops Harry Potter and LotR, etc. etc.

Elves: ....Well... Elves. With tattoos. [ :P] I mean, come on. How you can even start to compare them is beyond me [:P] It's like comparing Black Beauty to MLP [:P]

That's not a fair comparison; we don't know a lot about Elves yet compared to the other two lines. From everything we've seen so far, this is going to be a story-intensive theme with elemental heroes seeking powerful artifacts. That sounds like Bionicle and Ninjago to me.

Also you are way overselling Bionicle G1's story, especially if you think it's anywhere near as well-written as Lord of the Rings.

Elves: ....Well... Elves. With tattoos. [ :P] I mean, come on. How you can even start to compare them is beyond me [:P] It's like comparing Black Beauty to MLP [:P]

Also, Ninjago never had elementally-inspired names, at least in none of the foremost characters. [:P] And Bionicle only had that in it's first year [:P]

BIONICLE: ...Well... Robots (almost). With masks. Everything can be reduced to the absolute minimum to make it sound superficial or stupid that way. We don't even know how richly detailed the Elves story is going to be. For all we know it could well be on the same level as BIONICLE Gen 2. Give it a chance before you write it off. Not to mention you talk about "incredible powers" in BIONICLE and disregard the fact that the Elves seem to have some of the same powers as the Toa.

Also, while I really love BIONICLE and think its universe had even more potential than was made use of, pretending it tops LoTR, which may be the richest most expansive fictional universes ever created, is...daring, to say the least.

Edited by Gatanui

- Gata

signoffLarge.png

Also, Ninjago never had elementally-inspired names, at least in none of the foremost characters. [ :P] And Bionicle only had that in it's first year [:P]

Gatanui made most of the points I was going to make, but I ought to mention that in BIONICLE's case, every single story year's main team of heroes for the first eight years was made up of characters who were introduced in 2001. Toa Mata, Nuva, Phantoka, and Mistika? All characters who were introduced as Toa in 2001. Toa Metru and Hordika? All characters who were introduced as Turaga in 2001. Toa Inika and Mahri? All characters who were introduced as Matoran/Tohunga in 2001. So even having element-inspired names for just one year still had a lasting influence on the theme's main cast.

Ninjago didn't have elemental-inspired names, but it did have some other similarities to BIONICLE such as its focus on ancient legends and blending of sci-fi and fantasy tropes.

@Wally (You wouldn't happen to be a Catholic priest, would you? [:P] Very unlikely, but bigger coincidences have happened.. [:P]): True. But from what we have seen of it, it doesn't exactly look like Hitchcock could make a thriller from it [:P]

Did I say it was? [:P] I said overall storyline, not individual documentation [:P]

@Gatanui: 9_9 Bionicles (Yes, I call them Bionicles, deal with it [:P] [:P]), are not robots. [:P] A robot is something like Cleverbot, who can't actually think for themselves.  http://biosector01.com/wiki/index.php/Sapient_Species All the main species listed there are Biomechanical, one being totally organic [:P]

I personally think a universe, within a universe, living beings keeping a massive one going, is even more epic than a fantasy world where a powerful ring is at the source of the story [:P] Mind you, it's close, but Bionicle tops it [:P] Again, in my opinion [:P]

@Aanchir: As you say, the "main cast" was mostly from 01. [:P] Most, if not all characters introduced after that didn't have elementally-themed names [:P]

cLT23Pz.png

@Wally (You wouldn't happen to be a Catholic priest, would you? [ :P] Very unlikely, but bigger coincidences have happened.. [:P]): True. But from what we have seen of it, it doesn't exactly look like Hitchcock could make a thriller from it [:P]

Did I say it was? [:P] I said overall storyline, not individual documentation [:P]

There are several reasons I could not possibly be a Catholic priest, no.

Alfred Hitchcock couldn't have made a thriller from Bionicle, either, even at its faux-darkest, so I'm not sure what your point is. Everything we've seen so far points to a richly-crafted fantasy world, same as Bionicle, and arguably moreso than Ninjago.

Overall storyline, Tolkien still wins out. Your comparison between the two involves vastly oversimplifying the sheer amount of effort and attention to detail that went into Tolkien's vast world. More happened in a century of Tolkien's world than happened in the ridiculously prolonged timeframe of the entire history of the Bionicle universe. Between the two, Tolkien's is still the more masterfully crafted.

• Upvote 1

@Gatanui: 9_9 Bionicles (Yes, I call them Bionicles, deal with it [ :P] [:P]), are not robots. [:P] A robot is something like Cleverbot, who can't actually think for themselves.  http://biosector01.com/wiki/index.php/Sapient_Species All the main species listed there are Biomechanical, one being totally organic [:P]

I personally think a universe, within a universe, living beings keeping a massive one going, is even more epic than a fantasy world where a powerful ring is at the source of the story [:P] Mind you, it's close, but Bionicle tops it [:P] Again, in my opinion [:P]

That's why I said "Robots (Almost". Oh and by the way, I disagree that a robot necessarily has to be non-sentient but that's another topic entirely. However, your argument that beings in BIONICLE are sentient because they are not entirely mechanical seems kind of arbitrary to me.

Well, that's totally fine, of course. Which basic idea you prefer more is up to personal taste, but it's not just about the basic idea, it's also about the execution. LoTR and BIONICLE are on two very different levels there. Of course, to be fair, BIONICLE has had some limitations due to its nature as a toyline.

Edited by Gatanui

- Gata

signoffLarge.png

I'm kinda mad Lego keeps using the element motif for everything theme, to me it makes a bionicle less special. Not saying this theme is not going to be good at all, just kinda makes me sad. They gave it to ninjago and now this.

It was never unique to BIONICLE to begin with — Slizer and Roboriders also had plenty of characters with elemental themes, even if they didn't necessarily control the elements they were based on. Not to mention that elemental powers are an incredibly widespread trope OUTSIDE of LEGO, especially in gaming.

Edited by Aanchir
  • Upvote 1

There are several reasons I could not possibly be a Catholic priest, no.

Good. [:P] Not, good that you're not a Catholic priest, but, good that you're not the person I was thinking of [:P]

Alfred Hitchcock couldn't have made a thriller from Bionicle, either, even at its faux-darkest, so I'm not sure what your point is.

9_9 It's a saying [:P] Or at least, I think it is.. [:S] I certainly think I've heard it before [:P

Overall storyline, Tolkien still wins out. 

...In your opinion [:P]

That's why I said "Robots (Almost". Oh and by the way, I disagree that a robot necessarily has to be non-sentient but that's another topic entirely. 

Oh dear, been watchin' too much Marvel [:P] [:P]

However, your argument that beings in BIONICLE are sentient because they are not entirely mechanical seems kind of arbitrary to me.

In layman's talk, a robot is a machine meant to do something/somethings, and only that thing/things which the owner would rather not do [:P] Like a slave (where the word originates from [:P]) And I never said they were sentient because they weren't mechanical. [:P] I just said they were Biomechanical [:P] Totally different to robot [:P]

Well, that's totally fine, of course. Which basic idea you prefer more is up to personal taste, but it's not just about the basic idea, it's also about the execution

Funny, I made exactly this point today; it's why TLM was a flop [:P] (again, IMHO [:P])

...Don't know how to get rid of this [:P]  I

I

V

cLT23Pz.png

Also, Ninjago never had elementally-inspired names, at least in none of the foremost characters. [ :P] And Bionicle only had that in it's first year [:P]

I'm pretty sure "Kai" relates to fire, don't quote me on that though,

and the earth guy is literally named "Cole". :0

Actually, Kai means "ocean". Sorry for quoting you. :P

Well, that's totally fine, of course. Which basic idea you prefer more is up to personal taste, but it's not just about the basic idea, it's also about the execution

Funny, I made exactly this point today; it's why TLM was a flop [:P] (again, IMHO [:P])

Wait, what? In movie terms, a "flop" isn't a thing that's based on opinion, however humble. A flop is a movie that is a critical or commercial failure. Critics are almost unanimous that The Lego Movie was good (it has a stellar IMDB rating), so it's not a flop critically. And it earned $468 MILLION internationally, with a budget of only around $60 million, meaning it was far from a flop financially.

The thing about opinions is that they can't contradict actual facts. "I like living on Earth" is a valid opinion, but "the earth is flat" is not. Similarly, you can say you didn't personally like The Lego Movie and be holding an honest and valid opinion—but it wasn't a flop by any stretch of the imagination.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

This actually looks quite cool- I'm getting a Faraway Tree sorta vibe from it. It'd be nice if the characters looked a bit more racially diverse, but I suppose there's more opportunities for that later. Nice creative uses of the elemental powers, too, rather than just blasting stuff.

3DS Friend Code: 0018-0767-4231

Now here's a theme I'm surprised they haven't tackled yet (elves of their own creation in general, that is).

Its sets look preeeeetty cool too. I like a lot of the colors

~|ET|~

E-T... Phone home.

"He walks among us, but he is not one of us."

I'm pretty sure "Kai" relates to fire, don't quote me on that though,

and the earth guy is literally named "Cole". :0

Actually, Kai means "ocean". Sorry for quoting you. :P

Wait, what? In movie terms, a "flop" isn't a thing that's based on opinion, however humble. A flop is a movie that is a critical or commercial failure. Critics are almost unanimous that The Lego Movie was good (it has a stellar IMDB rating), so it's not a flop critically. And it earned $468 MILLION internationally, with a budget of only around $60 million, meaning it was far from a flop financially.

The thing about opinions is that they can't contradict actual facts. "I like living on Earth" is a valid opinion, but "the earth is flat" is not. Similarly, you can say you didn't personally like The Lego Movie and be holding an honest and valid opinion—but it wasn't a flop by any stretch of the imagination.

A flop is a failure [:P] It doesn't need to be a worldwide no-show for it to be a personal flop [:P]

Exactly, but I never said/meant that TLM was bad, fact. [:P] I said In my humble opinion. [:P] Or, did you miss that? [:P]

cLT23Pz.png