The Mystery of the Vahi

tn_12_17_14-mystery-vahi.png

Observant fans may have noticed the Mask of Time appearing not once, not twice, but at least five times in 2015 animations so far: Hidden as a cloud (0:52), as carvings (0:14 and 0:28 respectively) or its outlines formed by flowing lava (0:05 and 0:55 respectively), the Mask of Time may be appearing a bit too often to be just an easter egg. But even that is not all yet...

View the full article

• Upvote 1

Wow, it IS appearing a lot.
Perhaps the appearance of the Toa in the new story is in fact the fallout from the one time the Vahi was used by Tahu in '03, and it just took forever to hit them? There's nothing to suggest that's the case, but it's the best I can come up with for an actual reason the Vahi is being hinted at so much, and for Time in general to be so important all of a sudden.

• Upvote 1

"You know, there's something to be said for the simplicity of an axe and a couple nudges with the barrel of a Cordak as a way of getting others to cooperate." - Some Skakdi I just made up to say that quote

Yeah, when they said "evoked power of future and past" and "timeless heroes" I felt like they were definitely trying to insinuate these are indeed the original Toa, which is pretty crazy! Of course, that is still conjecture but it would be a cool twist and would make sense regarding the whole time-travel angle.

And the placements and frequency of the Vahi appearing are both ingenious and definitely leaving me wondering what for. If it is indeed foreshadowing, I am excited to see what the future story holds. :) The subliminal/easter-egg nature of these make them really cool - it was pretty obvious for the first two episodes but they have gotten pretty creative in the next couple. The lava flow one is not the easiest to discern and I didn't even catch that lava pool shape until I read this article! Kudos Bionicle art team. 

Definitely really cool and something is up with that Vahi! Hope we have "time" to figure it out!

-NotS

• Upvote 3

tahubanner.jpg

I like to think that we will find out these are the same Toa from the old story, but with memory loss due to being in canisters for a long time or something. The Vahi is the link to imply that we are in a different time but in the same continuity.

It wouldn't make much sense for the Vahi to have brought the Toa to the future, because the Toa do not age and were probably dormant in Toa canisters before they crashed down, so they don't really need to time travel. Personally, I think the villagers only see the Toa as "timeless" because the Toa do not age and exist far back into legend, while the villagers age and, presumably, die.

And perhaps it is foreshadowing for that rumour going round that "the Vahi is not a complete mask". I would say the most likely candidate for the other part is the Mask of Ultimate Power. Its instability would make sense if it were an incomplete Legendary Kanohi, and it was made using six elements, similarly to the Vahi being made using six elemental[?] Kanoka (perhaps the Kanoka weren't powerful enough to produce the entire mask).

• Upvote 3
:v: :m_o: :t: :u: :k: :m_o:

I think the many times it appears is a pretty cool thing, and I only saw the Vahi twice before finding out in the article that it actually appears five times. I wouldn't be surprised that the "new story" is just marketed as a reboot but will eventually unfold into a continuation, or at least a storyline that can be interpreted as either a continuation or reboot, which is something I really like because it can please fans whether they want it to be a completely new and fresh story, or a continuation that isn't too confusing. :vahi:

I have no theories of my own on this, but again, it'd be a pretty cool thing to have a story that can be interpreted either way.

Edited by Rooster Nui
  • Upvote 1

I'm mostly intrigued that the Vahi's shape hasn't been updated when all the other masks have.  It's also interesting because I believe the Vahi was the very first mask designed for Bionicle, at the very beginning, so to see that same, unchanged version appear in the reboot is nice.  Granted, if it does make it into a set it'll still probably be changed, but not so much with the teaser.

I'm not personally buying into the whole alternate timeline stuff here; I'm cool if it's a straight up reboot and they don't bother trying to connect it to the original.  But I am interested to see if time powers have some more to play in the future story, which is never a bad thing.  :sly:

Thanks for the news story, Gata!  I totally missed the lava pool one, and I was even looking for it!

:music:

• Upvote 1

Gonna go out on a limb and predict that the "Mask of Ultimate Power" is a Vahi.

You know what, I had that thought as well but I forgot about it when I wrote the article. :P Edited by Gatanui

- Gata

signoffLarge.png

Please don't use my avatar or signature without permission, thanks! ^_^

Hi, long time reader and bionicle fan here, from the good old days!

What i think, is that the 'obvious' hints at the mask of time are a generalized hint that maybe this is an alternate timeline, or that the old bionicle universe was an alternate timeline, that someone, makuta, or even a good guy somewhere, went back in time, and changed the timeline in some way.

I think that 'okoto' is just going to be a name for the island, a better name than 'mata nui' because it wont be as obvious that the island is covering mata nui's face!

The island is enough like the old one, that i feel like its going to be either a reboot on an alternate timeline, or its going to be the far future, or the far past, something like this.

I always said that after bionicle did the bara manga dinosaur planet line, they should do a space theme! traveling to other planets, discovering ancient artifacts! its a shame they didnt, but i suppose we got "hero factory" for that =\

And for that matter, i forget how the original toa mata got to mata nui, but this COULD very well be the far future, after the toa get sent back to the red star, and they are called back to this island to complete some other destiny, i dont know.

Because i mean, send your prayers to the stars? that definitely sounds like foreshadowing of the old repair station, maybe this is after they fix it? they never finished telling the story of what happens up on the red star, in fact all the old serials ended abruptly for me!

EDIT: the carving of the six toa standing in a circle with the golden masks is a callback to the original toa mata, they each have their original weapon, not the new ones! im feeling quite good about this being some sort of reboot.

Edited by We Are _G.R.I.D_

my_card.jpg

credit to Bonesiii for the av,

credit to xecha for the template for the card, but I did all the work on it, thank you very much!

credit to taka nuvia (or her current name) for the original skullbud .2 file of which i edited,

to make the thing you see in my sign-off, if/when i use them

I am the who when you ask; "Who's there?" I am the wind blowing through your hair

I am the shadow on the moon at night, Filling your dreams to the brim with fright

I am The Darkness underneath your bed, I am the thoughts inside your head

Who Am I, You Ask? I Am One Of Many, And Many Are The _G.R.I.D_

WE ARE _G.R.I.D_ AND OUR TIME HAS COME

I'm not so sure, the MOUP covered the whole of makuta's face, the vahi is only a half mask.

But that was exactly what the person at NYCC implied! To paraphrase, "Remember how the Mask of Time was only half a mask? We're going to have the whole mask". Or something to that effect.
  • Upvote 2

Very Interesting indeed...I highly doubt this is just an easter egg. All this seems to be pointing to something. I mean, why would they put all those images of the Vahi everywhere, and then make the Temple of Time a central plot point? They've got to be integrating the Vahi into the story somehow, there's no doubt about it. Then again, it could all just be a ruse and they just want to throw us for a loop.

Guess we'll just have to wait until the theme launches to find out.

• Upvote 1

>tfw you have no idea what to put here

It could just be a nod to the old fans. I mean, new fans watching it would have no idea, so why would they put such significant hints if most of the audience would miss them?

Steam Name: Toa Hahli Mahri. Xbox Live Gamertag: Makuta. Minecraft Username: ThePoohster.

Wants: 2003 Jaller (from Jaller and Gukko), Exo-Toa, Turaga Nuju, Turaga Vakama, Shadow Kraata, Axonn, Brutaka, Vezon & Fenrakk, Nocturn, ORANGE FIKOU.

I got rid of my picture, are you happy?

You know what, I had that thought as well but I forgot about it when I wrote the article. :P

The same thought had occurred to me.

I sort of doubt that. From all the qualities we have seen of the MOUP, I have a different theory.

-Combined power of the six elements

-Great power marred by a desire to destroy

-Tries to shatter the island

All signs point to it being the incarnation of energized protodermis to me.

• Upvote 4

The Chirox Codex

Chuck's Very Dead Comic Series

:smilehafu: This is my signature. Exciting, huh?  :ruru:

I'm not so sure, the MOUP covered the whole of makuta's face, the vahi is only a half mask.

But that was exactly what the person at NYCC implied! To paraphrase, "Remember how the Mask of Time was only half a mask? We're going to have the whole mask". Or something to that effect.

But in the trailer it clearly showed that makuta made the mask (MOUP) as one whole mask, unless there's some details they (assuming it's true likely intentionally) left out I don't see how it could be connected. 

It's time to move on.

Could this mean an impending appearance by Voporak? I know the answer will most definitely be no but in Gen 1 after he stole the Vahi, they never said what he did with it or where he went... :o

"It's all a trick, you see. They want me to pretend to betray them. They want you to concentrate your forces here against an attack that won't come. But I decided: Why pretend to betray them when actually doing it would be so much more fun?"
— Vezon to Tridax, Destiny War

But in the trailer it clearly showed that makuta made the mask (MOUP) as one whole mask, unless there's some details they (assuming it's true likely intentionally) left out I don't see how it could be connected.

So? Who's to say it has to start out as half a mask just because it was half a mask in the old universe? In this universe, maybe it was a whole mask to begin with.

It's not as though "half a mask" necessarily even means anything within the storyline. It might have just been a description of the shape.

So? Who's to say it has to start out as half a mask just because it was half a mask in the old universe? In this universe, maybe it was a whole mask to begin with.

It's not as though "half a mask" necessarily even means anything within the storyline. It might have just been a description of the shape.

Well assuming the animations image of the mask of time is true to how it will look (which is the same as the old one) then it can't be MOUP as that mask clearly goes above the eyes. 

It's time to move on.

Looking at it, I'd say the Vahi is only half of the MOUP. Perhaps when Makuta was struck by Ekimu, the mask split into two halves: one of Time, the other being something interesting.

Or, perhaps its just a random relic. Maybe Makuta will get the MOUP again and Tahu will need to go back in time ala Terminator to fix the past.

Which reminds me. The gen1 Vahi cannot use Time Travel, so I don't see how, if at all, the Vahi could create a paradox between this generation and the original. I think it's more that TLG is using the mask more so for how iconic it is, and again, the whole aspect of Time Travel. I doubt it's the same Kanohi from the original universe, since slowing down or accelerating time couldn't just up and craft a whole other tangent of existence like people are speculating.

Edited by Kek
  • Upvote 3
Signature Guidelines: Image size may not exceed 250x100 combined or 468x60 combined.

Maybe we are going to see the Mask of Time somewhere next year or 2016, to not just bring back the 6 good old Toa but a mask as well, and that mask would be the Mask of Time. I'm thinking that the Temple of Time will have a big part of the story, along with the places that showed the Mask of Time.

I know it would be obvious that Tahu will be the one to put on the Mask of Time but it would be nice to see one of the other Toa putting the Mask on like Kopaka or Lewa. 

• Upvote 1

:akakunu: My Topics :akakunu:

MOCs: Construct-a-Astronaut

:voyanui: Find Me On :voyanui:

Flickr 10.gif Twitter 10.gif Youtube

I guess Voporak went to Okoto with the Vahi and dropped it off for the Gen 2 story. :P

But in all seriousness, with the Vahi appearing as much as it has, I don't have a doubt that it will play a part in the new story somehow. Maybe it's a mask that is needed to access the full power of the Temple of Time? I know that is a random theory to state, but at this point who knows what role it could play in the upcoming story.

• Upvote 4

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

Gonna through this one out there. Perhaps the Gen2 Universe was created by a Mishap in the Gen 1 Universe after we left. A theory I've been throwing around is that the Gen2 universe was a result of the accidental destruction of the Mask of Time in the Gen1 universe. Vakama talked about the results of the Vahi breaking...that time would flow together and the Past, Present, and Future would intertwine. Normally it would only effect the Matoran universe if such an event happened within it...but it wasn't in the Matoran Universe by the end of the story.
Its kinda a grim theory, considering that if that is true, the fate of the Gen1 Universe is unfortunate. But it would make sense if the Island of Okoto had seemingly random carvings and landmarks that looked like the Vahi if the universe itself was created by the remenents of the Vahi. 

-SK

• Upvote 2

pohatu_like_a_boss.gif

Okay I'm now thinking that the Vahi is in the Temple of Time being guarded by the protectors, so no one would ever use it's powers. That what I would think will happen if the Mask of Time could time travel in the reboot. Because I do think out of all the mask, the Mask of Time would be the first thing to go and find.

Edited by ShadowWolfHount

:akakunu: My Topics :akakunu:

MOCs: Construct-a-Astronaut

:voyanui: Find Me On :voyanui:

Flickr 10.gif Twitter 10.gif Youtube

Gonna through this one out there. Perhaps the Gen2 Universe was created by a Mishap in the Gen 1 Universe after we left. A theory I've been throwing around is that the Gen2 universe was a result of the accidental destruction of the Mask of Time in the Gen1 universe. Vakama talked about the results of the Vahi breaking...that time would flow together and the Past, Present, and Future would intertwine. Normally it would only effect the Matoran universe if such an event happened within it...but it wasn't in the Matoran Universe by the end of the story.

Its kinda a grim theory, considering that if that is true, the fate of the Gen1 Universe is unfortunate. But it would make sense if the Island of Okoto had seemingly random carvings and landmarks that looked like the Vahi if the universe itself was created by the remenents of the Vahi. 

-SK

Oooh, I like that. That way, not only would there be an explanation for the 'new continuity' (because the universe literally reboots) but also it would give justification to Vakama's warning back in Gen1!

-L- to the -K-

Sometimes, I look at my desk, and think, "What am I doing with my life?"

Then, I go back to my videogames.

I used to be known as 'Gresh's Thornax...Ouchy!!!', before I realised what a silly name it was.

Other previous names include Lihkan435 and Chip Biscuit.

EXPOSED!!! BIONICLE 2015 IS REALLY A CONTINUATION!!!!! IM SURE OF IT!!!!!!!!

Quote: "Love has no fear, and no vengeance." |

:t: :m_o: :a: :i: :m: :r: :u: :k: :i: :i: | mEaHKlH.pngAndekas

pure_muscle.png

First time in a long time I've been intrigued by something covered in BZPower news. I wasn't going to bother watching the animations but after seeing this I was convinced to do so. Five appearances is quite a lot. Even if it turns out that the Vahi is the Mask of Ultimate Power or whatever (honestly haven't been following Bionicle 2015 much at all), it seems weird they'd include this easter egg five times. Once seems like enough to be an easter egg of this sort.

• Upvote 2

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

LUG Ambassador and administrator at Brickipedia

News reporter and database administrator at Brickset

Administrator at BIONICLEsector01

DISCLAIMER: All opinions and contributions made under this account are based solely on my own personal thoughts and opinions, and in no way represent any of the above groups/entities. If you have any concerns or inquiries about the contributions made under this account, please contact me individually and I will address them with you to the best of my ability.

-SK

That's actually yeah, pretty dark, but would be a legit explanation for a "rebooted" universe. 

Another theory is the effects of the damaged Vahi may have affected Tahu and his team over time after they used it in the fight against the Bohrok Kal. Who knows? I'm just super intrigued to see where it goes, and reading these theories is a fun pas-time! (these puns are really not intended at all) :) 

temple of time? mask of time? timeless heroes? future and past?

i think we all know what the real mask of ultimate power will be. :v

lol

-NotS

tahubanner.jpg