Reasons why this reboot may have connections to the old story

Put some spaces and buildings on the island of Mata Nui and you get Metru Nui. Okoto is Gen2 Island of Mata Nui equivalent. It's meant to be Okoto, but resembles the previous island as the new Mask of Fire resembles the Hau.

• Upvote 4

:r: :e: :g: :i: :t: :n: :u: :i:

Elemental Rahi in Gen2, anyone? A write-up for an initial video for a G2 plot

I really wish everyone would stop trying to play join the dots with Gen 1 and Gen 2 though,it seems there's a couple new threads everyday and often they're duplicates of already existing conversations! Or simply parallel them with a slightly new 'twist'! Gen 2 is NEW, it is NOT Gen 1 and it is NOT a continuation. Outside of the characters we already have I personally don't want to see ANY old characters return. I think it will cheapen the whole experience to those of us familiar with the original line...

Really? The Vahi was the FIRST MASK EVER. Doesn't that make it kind of iconic? Perhaps it will have no story significance and is imply a throwback to tbe very beginning. The mask is the first thing created for Bionicle, featuring it as an easter egg may just be a way of paying homage to the genesis of the franchise! The Masters are a return to the original heroes after all, the ones who started it all...

One thing that would be in favour of the Vahi not playing a big story role (setwise at least) is that I have difficulty imagining how the half mask design would attach to the new heads...

TLDR - Vahi was the first ever kanohi. Doesn't get much more iconic than that...

Wow dude, easy :P My post wasn't meant to agitate you. Like I said, chances are that the connection won't be deep at all, but only there for the older fans. I wouldn't be surprised if ignoring it wouldn't change a thing in your experience of the new story. Besides, the hidden Vahis aren't the only thing. We have the Temple of Time, we have the line " evoke the power of past and future", the Toa are called timeless heroes. There are an awful lot of references to Time, so it's a bit hard to say that it's all just easter-egg material.

IMO, I don't consider the Vahi to be that iconic to Bionicle, simply because there are other elements that are way more iconic . Depending on when you joined Bionicle, you can arguably say that either the Hau or the Ignika are the most iconic masks Bionicle has. If you were there from the beginning, the Hau would be the most iconic mask. If I'd show the Hau to a few guys from my age, I'm pretty sure they would be able to say that it's something from Bionicle or at least Lego. Do the same thing with the generation of my brothers, and they'll say that the Ignika is the most iconic mask, simply because they joined in from 2006, and from then on the Ignika was the most important mask, appearing in countless storylines ( to a point where I got annoyed by the Deus Ex Ignika).

The Hau and the Ignika appeared in the story and countless other media much more often than the Vahi did, and they're more imprinted in the collective memory than the Vahi. That's what I consider to be iconic. It's even an obscure fact to most Bionicle fans that the Vahi indeed was the first mask ever made, so tbh, I wouldn't really use that as an argument to say that "it doesn't get more iconic than that", because well, we have two Kanohi that are way more iconic to Bionicle than the Vahi.

TLDR : The hinted connection will probably be vague and won't bother you. The Vahi in my opinion will never be as iconic as the Hau or the Ignika, simply due it not occurring in the story and other media as often as the others.

Not entirely sure which part of my last post came across as 'agitated', I was just making a correction to your claim that the Vahi was "not the first Kanohi by any stretch of the imagination" which it undeniably was... The fact it didn't feature in any actual releases until many years later is not the point. My suggestion was that it's inclusion could simply be a nod to the first mask ever conceptualised. 

As for other masks being more iconic than the Vahi I'd have to agree with you as far as storyline goes. The Hau was always far and away THE mask and on top of that I'd also agree that the Avohkii and Ignika were the other BIG masks. The Vahi didn't really get a great deal of coverage in reality (though my memory may be foggy as it was one of my least favourite parts of the storyline) I think the point is though, there is simply more significance in the fact that the Vahi came first. It was one of the very first things to be designed as part of the Bionicle franchise. That in itself is iconic in exactly the same way as the Toa Mata are (and look at how they just KEEP coming back!) The fact that many people don't know that this is the case doesn't make it any less important to the franchise, it just means people don't REALISE it's significance to the franchise.

TLDR : Ignorance to the fact that the Vahi came first doesn't make it any less important. It just means it's significance isn't as widely recognised as things like the Hau and Avohkii.

If they wanted to have a G2 Artaka, they would had made a G2 Artaka without give him a new name.

We've seen many times already how people can jump to conclusions when they see familiar items and hear familiar names. Giving an existing character (role at least) a new name could just be a way to prevent the old fans making too many unnecessary, incorrect assumptions about the character in question...

• Upvote 2

Check out my Bionicle store on Bricklink here!

> > > Bionic Bricks < < <

Let me know if you can help me find these last few collectibles!

Masks%20footer4_zpspqs4myrt.png

Also looking for WILD KRAATA and a VMKK Yo!!!

Really? The Vahi was the FIRST MASK EVER. Doesn't that make it kind of iconic? Perhaps it will have no story significance and is imply a throwback to tbe very beginning. The mask is the first thing created for Bionicle, featuring it as an easter egg may just be a way of paying homage to the genesis of the franchise! The Masters are a return to the original heroes after all, the ones who started it all...

One thing that would be in favour of the Vahi not playing a big story role (setwise at least) is that I have difficulty imagining how the half mask design would attach to the new heads...

TLDR - Vahi was the first ever kanohi. Doesn't get much more iconic than that...

Wow dude, easy :P My post wasn't meant to agitate you. Like I said, chances are that the connection won't be deep at all, but only there for the older fans. I wouldn't be surprised if ignoring it wouldn't change a thing in your experience of the new story. Besides, the hidden Vahis aren't the only thing. We have the Temple of Time, we have the line " evoke the power of past and future", the Toa are called timeless heroes. There are an awful lot of references to Time, so it's a bit hard to say that it's all just easter-egg material.

IMO, I don't consider the Vahi to be that iconic to Bionicle, simply because there are other elements that are way more iconic . Depending on when you joined Bionicle, you can arguably say that either the Hau or the Ignika are the most iconic masks Bionicle has. If you were there from the beginning, the Hau would be the most iconic mask. If I'd show the Hau to a few guys from my age, I'm pretty sure they would be able to say that it's something from Bionicle or at least Lego. Do the same thing with the generation of my brothers, and they'll say that the Ignika is the most iconic mask, simply because they joined in from 2006, and from then on the Ignika was the most important mask, appearing in countless storylines ( to a point where I got annoyed by the Deus Ex Ignika).

The Hau and the Ignika appeared in the story and countless other media much more often than the Vahi did, and they're more imprinted in the collective memory than the Vahi. That's what I consider to be iconic. It's even an obscure fact to most Bionicle fans that the Vahi indeed was the first mask ever made, so tbh, I wouldn't really use that as an argument to say that "it doesn't get more iconic than that", because well, we have two Kanohi that are way more iconic to Bionicle than the Vahi.

TLDR : The hinted connection will probably be vague and won't bother you. The Vahi in my opinion will never be as iconic as the Hau or the Ignika, simply due it not occurring in the story and other media as often as the others.

Not entirely sure which part of my last post came across as 'agitated', I was just making a correction to your claim that the Vahi was "not the first Kanohi by any stretch of the imagination" which it undeniably was... The fact it didn't feature in any actual releases until many years later is not the point. My suggestion was that it's inclusion could simply be a nod to the first mask ever conceptualised. 

As for other masks being more iconic than the Vahi I'd have to agree with you as far as storyline goes. The Hau was always far and away THE mask and on top of that I'd also agree that the Avohkii and Ignika were the other BIG masks. The Vahi didn't really get a great deal of coverage in reality (though my memory may be foggy as it was one of my least favourite parts of the storyline) I think the point is though, there is simply more significance in the fact that the Vahi came first. It was one of the very first things to be designed as part of the Bionicle franchise. That in itself is iconic in exactly the same way as the Toa Mata are (and look at how they just KEEP coming back!) The fact that many people don't know that this is the case doesn't make it any less important to the franchise, it just means people don't REALISE it's significance to the franchise.

TLDR : Ignorance to the fact that the Vahi came first doesn't make it any less important. It just means it's significance isn't as widely recognised as things like the Hau and Avohkii.

Uhm, I believe you're mixing up two comments here, I never said the Vahi wasn't the first Kanohi :P.  I'm not saying that the Vahi isn't important, I was just saying that it was less iconic than the Hau and the Ignika ( and yeah, the Avohkii and Kraahkan as well. ) and to me it seems to "obscure" (wrong word I know ) for it to be a mere "easter-egg" when used repetitively. I consider it to be a hint to something more.

-Iben

Edited by Iben

pVcwLHX.png

"Unity, Duty, Destiny."