Best way to hook someone into Bionicle?

Jiayi

hey y'all

recently, a friend of mine agreed to give Bionicle a try, so I wanted to use this chance to open her eyes to the world of ~Bionicle~ andmaybehookherinforgood.

obviously, bionicle's a story told over a lot of different kind of media, and the storyline is complex. I'm afraid this might put her off.

So my question is, how would you introduce someone to Bionicle? What would you get them to read/watch/experience? what are the important arcs and which ones can you skip? (and hopefully have them go back and catch up on it :P)

I was thinking of starting her off with the toa mata comics, and then mol. (skipping the books, and mnog) 

• Upvote 2

MNOG.  Dynamic animation, solid characters, phenomenal atmosphere.  Comics are good, too.

• Upvote 1

15863836330_7c7ce4fb30.jpg

"And at the closing of the day              

She loosed the chain, and down she lay;              

The broad stream bore her far away,              

The Lady of Shalott."              

+

I think starting with the new stuff MIGHT be good? It's simple enough for a beginner but has a lot of the same magic. Also, that way you get to enjoy it together as it comes out, which might help it feel more fun and less daunting than giving her SO MUCH to catch up on.

Otherwise, Mata Nui Online Game might be a good place to start! It's a nice, fun game with lots of exciting world-building, but it's also something that can be played at one's own pace and doesn't have too much of a learning curve. Best of all, as one of the first pieces of BIONICLE story media, it was designed with newcomers in mind. It can be played either on Templar's website or on BioMedia Project.

Great to see you active here again after so long! Hope you stick around!

• Upvote 2

Mata Nui Online Game!

There is no equal!

• Upvote 4

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

*pulls out epic speech :P *

For new readers: Where to Start

If you're new to Bionicle, the wide variety of media may seem overwhelming. You may be thinking "But where do I start?"

My recommendation is to play the Mata Nui Online Game, available to play here. Don't worry if you can't pass the Kahu (bird-flying) part of it. If need be you can skip to the Ko-Koro chapter and play the animation in the book of chronicles. 

Oh just go play MNOG. :P Don't feel overwhelmed, just go play. You will feel better about yourself. *waits*

Post-MNOG: Where do I go from here?

Okay, now that you've finished that (or abandoned it in hopeless frustration), you have two choices: 

Comics (and Movies)

OR

Books

All of the comics can be found here. Read from right to left in number order. If you're a books person, Chronicles --> Adventures --> Legends. Don't worry about which medium is better; pick what you normally read. Either way you will get a very good understanding of what Bionicle (2001-2010) is all about.  

Watching the four movies is also highly recommended. For book readers, these will be slightly redundant, but there are changes between the written version and the one that actually made it to the screen which you need to know about. For comics, it is essential; otherwise you will be lost. 

Everything else is extra. If you want more, there's more. If you don't, well, don't bother.

*takes bow*

*exits*

• Upvote 1

I would agree that the MNOG is a fantastic way to draw someone into this universe. I have so many fond memories of playing that ridiculous game over and over again because I could not save my progress. Showing the first Gen 1 comics is a good idea, as that art style is beautiful.

Remembering the OACP. 

Back in my day, we created amazing wondrous fictions within the Bionicle Universe.

Just throw Federation of Fear at her. If she doesn't want to find out who's who and what's what, then I don't think there's a lot of hep for her. ;)

Archon                      

"For one to truly feel alive, the person must kill oneself a little bit each and every day."

Check out my MOC, one of the new generation of Toa on Spherus Magna!

***Toa Kyraan***

The best way to hook someone into BIONICLE?

A really really big hook. :P

OR if that doesn't work, MNOG.

A big hook?

• Upvote 1

:r: :e: :g: :i: :t: :n: :u: :i:

Elemental Rahi in Gen2, anyone? A write-up for an initial video for a G2 plot

I really wish everyone would stop trying to play join the dots with Gen 1 and Gen 2 though,it seems there's a couple new threads everyday and often they're duplicates of already existing conversations! Or simply parallel them with a slightly new 'twist'! Gen 2 is NEW, it is NOT Gen 1 and it is NOT a continuation. Outside of the characters we already have I personally don't want to see ANY old characters return. I think it will cheapen the whole experience to those of us familiar with the original line...

Use Gali's hooks. Also reccomended for fishing :)

In all seriousness, though, maybe start with a couple of commercials or somethinf? That way it's like dipping your toe in the ocean before the whole foot goes in. Then, like others have said, use the MNOG, use books, movies, the toyline itself, etc

Best of luck in your goal!

• Upvote 1

BZPRPG:

Akamu, Toa of Ice :smilekohrak: :smilenuju: :smilekopakanu: :smilematoro: :akakunu: :kohrak: :matatu: :akaku: Talk to me about Destiny!

Ask me about stuttering and speech impediments!//Feel free to talk about Dungeons and Dragons with me!

I'd say MNOLG isn't the best way to introduce someone to Bionicle as a whole, because it only covers the 2001 story and has virtually nothing relating to the years after 2003. There's also the fact that no subsequent year was covered by a game again.

Relating to later years isn't the point. The point is to get people interested in a way that doesn't send them running and screaming in the other direction, like dumping a hefty book series on their laps might do.

Drowning somebody in lore right away is a good way to make them reluctant to even look further. The Mata Nui Online Game's beauty is in part that it IS largely self-contained. BIONICLE: Mask of Light is also good in that respect, but some people consider it kind of cheesy and the visuals kind of dated, which might be a turn-off for a new fan.

• Upvote 2

When I introduced BIONICLE to a friend (I did this because I wanted someone to talk to about BIONICLE at school...) I started with the beginning. You know. Anonna. The GBs. Element Lords. Prototype Robot. Core War. The Shattering... Decadence by Dorek.... Energized Protodermis... Karda Nui.. Energy Storms... All that GOOD stuff...

And after a week or two, it payed off. He knew most obscure BIONICLE stuff but in the end, he is confused on what is a Bohrok or Rahi, but knows about obscure stuff like Spine Slugs or Annona or fikou adaption/migration, and that stuff...

Add me on 3DS: 0516-7750-0068

Add me on Wii U: Boidoh

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 4: Never Trust a Snake

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 44: Corridor of Elders

Like, Comment, And Subscribe for Nintendo Content - NinBoidoh

Relating to later years isn't the point. The point is to get people interested in a way that doesn't send them running and screaming in the other direction, like dumping a hefty book series on their laps might do.

I mean that it only introduces them to 2001, a year that the majority of Bionicle's years didn't have all that much in common with in terms of either events, complexity or tone. Essentially, MNOLG doesn't do a good job of setting up for Bionicle as a whole (not that it was particularly meant to, of course).

BIONICLE: Mask of Light is also good in that respect, but some people consider it kind of cheesy and the visuals kind of dated, which might be a turn-off for a new fan.

That's largely a matter of personal taste. I do think the ending is unnecessarily confusing; both Hahli and Vakama confidently announce the awakening of Mata Nui/the Great Spirit, but the movie instead ends rather suddenly with the discovery of Metru Nui.

I myself liked BIONICLE but I didn't rate it as my favorite. My sister said BIONICLE is better than hero factory and showed me the movie (mask of light) that's how I started liking BIONICLE. But wait, theres more.

My sister showed me the first 2 BIONICLE books she found at a thrift store. THHAAAAATSS how I fell in love with BIONICLE.(the movies just seem lame now)

Start where everyone else did: MNOG.

Not where I started. Still a good game.

Kopaka.png

stone_good.png

If you use correct grammar in your posts (or try hard to), place this in your signature. Join Myst's campaign for correct grammar usage on BZPower!

I don't think the online game is a good introduction. It doesn't really introduce any of the characters very well, and it assumes you know what things are.

I never got that impression from the Mata Nui Online Game. You had an opportunity to ask about the identity of any character the first time you met or heard about them (so when you speak to Maku at the beginning, the first possible question is "Who are you?"). It was EXTREMELY user-friendly, which is one of the things that I still love about it.

Gosh, I really hope LEGO puts out another point-and-click adventure game one of these days... whether for the new BIONICLE, the new Elves theme, or wherever they think one would fit best!

"Tribal robots".

If they're still interested, start with MNOLG. After that, have them read the comics and watch the movies. Save the more complex stuff (Books, serials, etc) for when they have a good understanding of the story.

Of course, you could always recommend they follow the reboot instead if they're having trouble following everything from G1.

why is this happening

I'm just saying it's hard and almost impossible to try and comprehend Bionicle that hadn't already enjoyed it as a kid themselves.

Not really. A lot of people I know instantly think BIONICLE's interesting when I tell them about "tribal robots with magic powers".

And then I throw them at Metru Nui.

In the end, BIONICLE is science fantasy with giant robots and also toys. Nothing that really needs the mind of a child to understand.

• Upvote 2

I'm just saying it's hard and almost impossible to try and comprehend Bionicle that hadn't already enjoyed it as a kid themselves.

Topic didn't ask how to get them to comprehend Bionicle, but how to hook them on it. :P

• Upvote 1

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

Would buying some of the old (might as well wait for the new) Bionicle sets be out of the question for your friend? That's a good way to start someone out in the fandom if she doesn't like reading comics.

Nah, they absolutely love comics hence why I wanted to start with them! Plus knowing the characters and story makes things more relatable. Maybe if the operation is successful, I'll slowly nudge them towards the canisters...

I think starting with the new stuff MIGHT be good? It's simple enough for a beginner but has a lot of the same magic. Also, that way you get to enjoy it together as it comes out, which might help it feel more fun and less daunting than giving her SO MUCH to catch up on.

Otherwise, Mata Nui Online Game might be a good place to start! It's a nice, fun game with lots of exciting world-building, but it's also something that can be played at one's own pace and doesn't have too much of a learning curve. Best of all, as one of the first pieces of BIONICLE story media, it was designed with newcomers in mind. It can be played either on Templar's website or on BioMedia Project.

Great to see you active here again after so long! Hope you stick around!

I thought about that too! My main concern is that the new material is vastly different from the old, and what the tone of it will be like. Like, if it's geared towards young children, then she might find it boring. I love the gen 1 stuff since the comics and MNOG were enjoyable for younger and older fans alike.

A lot of people are suggesting MNOG which totally didn't appeal to me at first, but hey, the majority can't be wrong right? Guess I'll add that to the list!

(I think part of the reason for not including MNOG was while it was a FANTASTIC game, memories of playing it on dial-up and waiting for updates were not pleasant...)

I don't think the online game is a good introduction. It doesn't really introduce any of the characters very well, and it assumes you know what things are. You should start with the reboot stuff. That's pretty much why there's a reboot, to introduce Bionicle to new people.

Again, I thought about that, but if gen 1 is better in terms of characterization and storytelling, I'd love to introduce that instead!

Though I do worry about the introduction MNOG provides too. Which was why I decided to skip it at first. iirc it was better for world building and introducing the matorans once you understood the bare minimum of the storyline? (ie. heros with amnesia arrive, need to find masks. oh yeah there're six villages on this island, etc. etc.) She has no idea about anything so yeah.

Anyway thanks for everyone's input!! I think I'm gonna roll comics -->MNOG -->MoL

A lot of people are suggesting MNOG which totally didn't appeal to me at first, but hey, the majority can't be wrong right? Guess I'll add that to the list!

I still feel it's not a great choice for an introduction to the whole franchise, because it has almost nothing to do with anything that was released after 2003.

I still feel it's not a great choice for an introduction to the whole franchise, because it has almost nothing to do with anything that was released after 2003.

I feel the same as well; I've never played MNOG once since it was first introduced. I think getting the actual sets in hand is one of the best ways to get into Bionicle, right next to reading the comics. Though, the former seems to be out of the question for Jiayi's friend atm.

te0FrhT.jpg