Set Review: 70816 Benny's Spaceship Spaceship SPACESHIP!

70816_Bennys_Spaceship_Spaceship_SPACESH

This review has been a long time in the making, but it's finally time to share it here. Today we're taking a look at 70816 Benny's Spaceship Spaceship SPACESHIP! from the LEGO Movie line of sets, and the largest one that's not part of the D2C range. Is this nostalgia-filled, meme-inducing, interstellar transport worth its weight in ABS, or should you pass on it in favor of other options? You'll have have to read on to find out!

View the full article

Got mine for $80 as well.

Unikitty, at least, has her spacesuit on during the SPACESHIP! scene, and I sort of wish this set had her face print as the adorable "dog with its head out the window" face she has during it (can be seen during Wyldestyle and Metalbeard's "This might actually work."/"'Twas your speech which roused this hearty crew." exchange).

Oh also this is a good set.  Neat function (that I didn't know existed until about a month ago) and includes basically every kind of launcher currently produced.

Edited by Bfahome

OpAXNpl.jpg

Actually, the Astro Kitty and Classic Space version of Wyldstyle are both seen in the movie, although only during a few brief moments in the live-action scene where Benny's Spaceship is stopped.

• Upvote 1

The artist formerly known as

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

BBC#69 Entry: Roodaka - Master of Manipulation

BFTGM entries: Zigben · Ventox · Deflecto

Hail Denmark.

This is one of my favorite sets from the movie, so I'm glad it doesn't disappoint. :)

I really like how the main spaceship and minifigs look. The smaller ships are alright too. If I wasn't saving money for buying Bionicle sets, I would definitely consider getting this one.

Thanks for the review!

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

I was fortunate to get this set for my birthday, less than a month ago. Ever since I first heard about it, I really wanted this particular set more than any other, and I was not disappointed at all once I actually got it. (Unfortunately, mine seems to be missing a piece: space Wyldstyle's hood. Any ideas on what I should do about that? :unsure: )

By the way, if anyone is wondering what is the purpose of that 1x4 tile with various letters and numbers etched on it, I think it's supposed to be a code that you can enter in the LEGO Movie Videogame to unlock a couple of bonus items. If I remember correctly, there are four sets that include such a code: Benny's Spaceship, Emmet's Construct-o-Mech, the Super Secret Police Dropship, and Rescue Reinforcements (or something like that).

Oh, and contrary to the review, I have been able to make Emmet fit inside the main cockpit with the Piece of Resistance still on. Probably because I put him in the back seat instead of the middle one.

Edited by Chronicler06

Formerly known as Takanuva's Symbol, I rejoined BZPower on October 10, 2012.

These days, I am perhaps best known for my obsession with all Lego video games.

I've never seen the movie... So why is spaceship repeated 3 times?

(Unfortunately, mine seems to be missing a piece: space Wyldstyle's hood. Any ideas on what I should do about that?  :unsure: )

You can go here to order replacement pieces.

That service is great, btw.

Edited by Boidoh

Add me on 3DS: 0516-7750-0068

Add me on Wii U: Boidoh

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 4: Never Trust a Snake

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 44: Corridor of Elders

Like, Comment, And Subscribe for Nintendo Content - NinBoidoh

Possibly one of my favourite bits of the movie (except maybe for the where are my pants guy :P ), but have been struggling to justify the cost - I will be getting a a chunk of new money in January and this does seem to be the best set in the series... Time will tell if I man up and get it. :P This review was certainly helpful to my decision, thank you! :)

photo-50441.gif

Credit to Pohuaki for the awesome banner! ^_^

I've been holding off from watching it for the same reason I held off watching Ninjago and Chima. I'll end up spending loads of money on the sets....

I eventually gave in and watched Ninjago and Chima though....

Edited by Boidoh

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 4: Never Trust a Snake

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 44: Corridor of Elders

I've been holding off from watching it for the same reason I held off watching Ninjago and Chima. I'll end up spending loads of money on the sets....

I eventually gave in and watched Ninjago and Chima though....

As a fan of Ninjago... The Lego Movie is SO MUCH BETTER. You really, REALLY need to see it.

Also, the vast majority of the main characters are being released in new forms (most with new faces and such) across just three small-ish sets next year. So if the movie DOES make you feel compelled to get the full assortment of characters, it'll be easier come next year than it was in this year's sets.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

I'll watch it now then... 

I'm sorry, wallet....

EDIT: And I've seen it. (I paused halfway because at that point I've gotten word that Ninjago Season 5 Episode 1 was out) It was pretty good and now I understand why this set is named the way it is...

Edited by Boidoh
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

(Unfortunately, mine seems to be missing a piece: space Wyldstyle's hood. Any ideas on what I should do about that? :unsure: )

You can go here to order replacement pieces.

Thanks a lot for that! :) I ordered the missing piece on Dec 22 and it just arrived today (delayed due to the holidays). Despite my fears due to the difference in part number, I got the exact piece I was missing. I'll definitely keep that page in mind from now on, if I ever need to use it again.

Edited by Chronicler06

Formerly known as Takanuva's Symbol, I rejoined BZPower on October 10, 2012.

These days, I am perhaps best known for my obsession with all Lego video games.