The Original Bionicle TV Ad

Zeb

So, here's a Bionicle commercial that was shown on TV during 2001.

As you can see, the only known copy of this commercial is in low quality (it looks like it was taken off of a VHS) and the first couple of seconds are missing. I am not sure if foreign versions of this commercial exist or not, but one thing I want to find out is this:

Does a higher quality recording/version of this TV ad exist? It's a pretty significant video, as it was the first Bionicle TV advertisement ever. Has anyone ever considered contacting Lego and asking for a copy of this commercial? I mean, surely they must have a copy of it somewhere, right? Has anyone tried contacting Lego before? What do you think? Should I try contacting Lego or something?

• Upvote 4

The artist formerly known as

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

BBC#69 Entry: Roodaka - Master of Manipulation

BFTGM entries: Zigben · Ventox · Deflecto

Hail Denmark.

What's striking is the similarity between that voiceover and the 2015 voiceover for the Toa videos. 

Coincidence or reference? I don't know...

What if it's the same narrator? :o

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

Hail Denmark.

What's striking is the similarity between that voiceover and the 2015 voiceover for the Toa videos.

Coincidence or reference? I don't know...

What if it's the same narrator? :o

If anything the 2015 Narrator sounds like the Narrator from the Toa Metru CDs.
  • Upvote 1

hTeXGIU.png

Also, if you're a resident of the UK and like Bionicle, go ahead and join

us at this awesome Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/BFUK7/

I've uploaded the commercial in better quality (though with different narration) to YouTube, as well as another 2001 commercial. I can't link cause I'm phone posting, but search for user LEGOTazakk and you should be able to find them.

EDIT: I lied! Here:

Edited by Pereki
  • Upvote 3

believe victims. its actually not that hard, and youd look kind of bad if you were to, say, side with an abuser because theyre your friend

I've uploaded the commercial in better quality (though with different narration) to YouTube, as well as another 2001 commercial. I can't link cause I'm phone posting, but search for user LEGOTazakk and you should be able to find them.

I like how the one kid flicks off Lewa's mask... so much foreshadowing... XD

• Upvote 3

:smiletakua: :m_o: :w: :l: :e: :x: :a: :n: :m_d: :e: :r: :smiletol:

76561198067723583.pngAddFriend.png

|

"We are the Turaga of the new generation." ~Owlexander

YouTube - Imgur - Flickr - Bionicle RPG Chat

I never noticed that. Of all the Toa, Lewa is the one that just has to have his mask flicked off.

I don't know any place or link to finding a version of the video shown in the intial post by SuperGeniusCreator, but at least it is easier to find than that game that only 5 or 6 people have.

Edited by Rooster Nui

*snip*

I never noticed that. Of all the Toa, Lewa is the one that just has to have his mask flicked off.

I don't know any place or link to finding a version of the video shown in the intial post by SuperGeniusCreator, but at least it is easier to find than that game that only 5 or 6 people have.

You mean Legends of Mata Nui? Edited by UngluedBike

hTeXGIU.png

*snip*

You mean Legends of Mata Nui?

Yeah mate. ;)

• Upvote 1

Wow! Thanks! While it's not exactly what I'm looking for, I'm glad you showed these to me. I didn't know those existed. Why aren't these on BioMediaProject? :???: Do you think I should try contacting Lego for a copy of the particular one I'm looking for?

Edited by SuperGeniusCreator

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

Hail Denmark.

Wow! Thanks! While it's not exactly what I'm looking for, I'm glad you showed these to me. I didn't know those existed. Why aren't these on BioMediaProject? :???: Do you think I should try contacting Lego for a copy of the parrticular one I'm looking for?

Anyone you could reach at LEGO probably won't be able to help you - they just don't keep stuff like this on hand. I would say that the best hope is just to keep an eye on YouTube and hope for the best.

believe victims. its actually not that hard, and youd look kind of bad if you were to, say, side with an abuser because theyre your friend

Wow! Thanks! While it's not exactly what I'm looking for, I'm glad you showed these to me. I didn't know those existed. Why aren't these on BioMediaProject? :???: Do you think I should try contacting Lego for a copy of the parrticular one I'm looking for?

Anyone you could reach at LEGO probably won't be able to help you - they just don't keep stuff like this on hand. I would say that the best hope is just to keep an eye on YouTube and hope for the best.

I guess that's why no one has ever been able to get their hands on Legend of Mata Nui. :P

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

Hail Denmark.

I guess that's why no one has ever been able to get their hands on Legend of Mata Nui. :P

That's a whole new story.

hTeXGIU.png

*snip*

Lewa Mata has no luck keeping his Mask on, does he? :P

Anyway, thanks for posting these! I recall seeing the first one a long time ago, but not the second. I can kind of hear the resemblance between this narrator's voice and the one in the 2015 trailer. It would be cool if it was the same person. :)

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

FIND MASKS OF POWAH?

DEFEAT EEEEEEEVVVIIIIIIIILLL?

SAVE THE ISSSLAND!?

Where have I heard that?

• Upvote 2

Add me on 3DS: 0516-7750-0068

Add me on Wii U: Boidoh

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 4: Never Trust a Snake

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 44: Corridor of Elders

Like, Comment, And Subscribe for Nintendo Content - NinBoidoh

FIND MASKS OF POWAH?

SAVE THE ISSSLAND!?

Where have I heard that?

Bionicle 2001: Says "Find the masks of Power, defeat evil, and save the Island." once. 

Bionicle 2015: Says "Find the masks of Power, defeat evil, and save the Island." 1 + 5 times. 

Tahu: Arrgh, this Vahi isn't working right! I keep going back in time to five seconds ago and saying the same thing over and over again!

Hmm... somehow I don't think I ever saw the opening of this vid (or forgot it)... that zoom up through dirt from the symbol of the half-island-half-face... another early hint of the giant robot? Face under the island... That's the size of the island... Sommat.

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

Hmm... somehow I don't think I ever saw the opening of this vid (or forgot it)... that zoom up through dirt from the symbol of the half-island-half-face... another early hint of the giant robot? Face under the island... That's the size of the island... Sommat.

WHOA... that foreshadowing... :P

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

Hail Denmark.

Woah, that's some epic foreshadowing right there.

The Master of Shaymins.

492-0.png

FIND MASKS OF POWAH?

SAVE THE ISSSLAND!?

Where have I heard that?

Bionicle 2001: Says "Find the masks of Power, defeat evil, and save the Island." once. 

Bionicle 2015: Says "Find the masks of Power, defeat evil, and save the Island." 1 + 5 times. 

Tahu: Arrgh, this Vahi isn't working right! I keep going back in time to five seconds ago and saying the same thing over and over again!

...because there are six different character spots using variations on that phrase? As opposed to only one commercial that actually explains the basic structure of the story?

Let's face it: Bionicle has ALWAYS been overly reliant on catchphrases and taglines. "Six Heroes, One Destiny", "Find the Power", "Power Lies Beneath", "If You Wake One, You Wake Them all", "Secret of Silver", etcetera, etcetera, ad infinitum. The new story summary is little more than an extension of that, one that's less purposefully vague and cryptic.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Thanks for posting this, I don't believe I ever saw the 2001 commercial (despite steeping myself in all of the other media)!

@Lyichir As far as I know taglines are one of many marketing tools. I only get upset at them when it says "OMG FINAL BATTLE" when it's really not.

• Upvote 2

Thanks for posting this, I don't believe I ever saw the 2001 commercial (despite steeping myself in all of the other media)!

@Lyichir As far as I know taglines are one of many marketing tools. I only get upset at them when it says "OMG FINAL BATTLE" when it's really not.

Oh, I understand that taglines are fantastic for marketing. My point was more that A) the classic Bionicle theme did not shy away from taglines, and that B) the new Bionicle's brief story summary conveys a lot more useful information to newcomers than most of the classic theme's taglines, which were often so pithy as to be meaningless.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Oh, I understand that taglines are fantastic for marketing. My point was more that A) the classic Bionicle theme did not shy away from taglines, and that B) the new Bionicle's brief story summary conveys a lot more useful information to newcomers than most of the classic theme's taglines, which were often so pithy as to be meaningless.

Oh ok! I hope the new stuff manages to be understandable for as long as possible. Gen1 tag lines were a way for me to summarize story elements at the time.

An amazing commercial with fantastic animation that still really holds up. The atmosphere, the mystery, the setting all come together to create an intriguing commercial that definitely shows off its techno-fantasy elements without revealing too much... A little different from this years commercial, which is more about highlighting action and conflict. Still good, but the original commercials are what helped get me into Bionicle in the first place. :)

-NotS

Edited by Nidhiki of the Shadows

tahubanner.jpg

A little different from this years commercial, which is more about highlighting action and conflict. Still good, but the original commercials are what helped get me into Bionicle in the first place. :)

-NotS

Commercials generally have no effect on me. I remember when I was 5 watching TV ads for the Bohrok Kal and I was never intrigued. I saw a huge amount of the commercials from 2004 too with no effect. The thing that got me into Bionicle was seeing my cousin's MoCs. The creation possibilities with Bionicle just totally intrigued me, but then I began following the story and it was amazing too.

My point is though, that the new commercials actually interest me and the old ones were a little too mysterious for my taste. That being said, I can see all the connections/similarities between the '01 and '15 commercials and I'm excited to see what else is similar.

evergrey_l01.gif

Other great bands:

Iron Maiden    Journey    Mercenary    The Unguided    Trivium

Boston    Stratovarius    Symphony X    Epica