The Musician's Community

This thread will be a place where musicians, past musicians, future musicians, etc. can all gather and talk about things such as:

-what instruments you play

-what you currently do musically (or the last thing you did)

-musical goals

-gear (brand of instrument, model (if known))

-musical accomplishments

-favorite/least favorite memories from music related experiences (ex: stories from marching band, everything that went wrong before the show, etc.)

-anything else you can think of that will fit into this topic :)

So...I am both a trumpet player and a drummer.

I am a senior in high school and I play trumpet in my school's top band (which is called Wind Ensemble), Jazz Band, and I play the drums for the school's pep band at the basketball games.

So I made it to area on trumpet and I my goal is to make the all-state band and auditions for that are coming up in January so I'm practicing my little tail off for that.

As far as gear goes, I love King trumpets. I play on the King 2055t, more commonly called the "King Silver Flair" and I use a King 3C Megatone mouthpiece. Drum Wise, I use Yamaha drums and I use Vic Firth sticks.

evergrey_l01.gif

Other great bands:

Iron Maiden    Journey    Mercenary    The Unguided    Trivium

Boston    Stratovarius    Symphony X    Epica

I've played the piano since I was five. Musically speaking, I'm not the stereotypical prodigy-type; I never had the drive to practice pieces that I didn't love and enjoyed improvising my own stuff more than anything else. (Not to say that I'm not good at the piano; I've learned parts of Charles Ives' infamous Concord Sonata and have my eyes on a vicious little piece by Sorabji for next semester.)

I started composing in earnest at fifteen and never really stopped. My progression in just a few years has been profound—I've gone from writing awfully unidiomatic chamber pieces to large-scale orchestral writing. I'm about halfway through the final movement of a quasi-piano concerto, and two local orchestras have been interested in performing my work. I consider myself a composer more than a pianist, and if all goes to plan, I will be going to a conservatory beginning next fall.

My piano is a wonderful mahogany upright from 1912, fully restored a little over a decade ago after sitting in my grandmother's basement for a long time. Since it was build before World War I, its tone is much closer to a modern grand than a modern upright.

A long-term musical goal would be to learn a little bit about every instrument. I took a few cello lessons last fall and I noticed a marked increase in my ability to write idiomatically for stringed instruments after just a few lessons, since reading about how something works is far inferior to actually trying it yourself.

Edited by Sumiki
  • Upvote 2

tumblr_ng1pw4xLEM1tryxewo1_1280.jpg

i took drum lessons from about age ten to twelve; i enjoyed it but not really enough to keep at it. i haven't truly practiced in some time, but i still know all the basics and could probably pick it up again easily. i bought a bass at age fourteen and while i never took lessons (still considering that though), i play fairly regularly and i'm pretty decent at it. i don't recall what exact model my bass is, but it's a lefty Ibanez; a pretty standard model.

i also own a couple keyboards that i don't actually play, just mess around with for ideas, and which i'm also saving to record as samples in the future. i'd like to learn guitar, but there's a lot of other things i'd like to do, so i don't know if i'd have time for lessons.

for the last few years, though, i've mostly been focused on electronic composition. i've worked my way through a number of DAWs and genres, and i've come very close to having a finished EP to release multiple times, but my perfectionism (and other outside factors) keep getting in the way. i'm hoping to get something done to release by January, but i'll have to wait and see.

for the last few years, though, i've mostly been focused on electronic composition. i've worked my way through a number of DAWs and genres, and i've come very close to having a finished EP to release multiple times, but my perfectionism (and other outside factors) keep getting in the way. i'm hoping to get something done to release by January, but i'll have to wait and see.

Me too! I've been producing for about three years now, and I finally managed to complete my first EP a year ago. I haven't had access to my computer, monitors, or keyboard for almost six months, and all I wanna do is produce every day.  :annoyed: On the plus side, being separated from my gear has given me time to come up with a bunch of creative ideas and a fresh mind...I just wish I could get to work already! What kind of music are you working on nowadays?

IetTsFQ.png

but it's a lefty Ibanez; a pretty standard model.

I forgot to mention that I kind of mess around with lefty guitars. I have 3 lefty guitars and I don't really know any songs on them, but I just jam out and try to write my own rock/metal/instrumental music. But yeah, I have a left Ibanez guitar and the other two are Chinese guitars that play/sound amazing, but I acquired for dirt cheap, one of which is a 7 string which automatically makes it my favorite lol.

But: I'm a right handed person; I play the drums right-handed, and because the trumpet valves use my right hand's fingers, I figured it would save time to just get left guitars and learn that way.

evergrey_l01.gif

Other great bands:

What kind of music are you working on nowadays?

i've dabbled in just about every electronic genre you could think of, up to and including noise, but currently i'm working on some big beat stuff; it's been a lot of fun. basically any genre that involves breakbeats is one that i'm good at. what about you?

but it's a lefty Ibanez; a pretty standard model.

I forgot to mention that I kind of mess around with lefty guitars. I have 3 lefty guitars and I don't really know any songs on them, but I just jam out and try to write my own rock/metal/instrumental music. But yeah, I have a left Ibanez guitar and the other two are Chinese guitars that play/sound amazing, but I acquired for dirt cheap, one of which is a 7 string which automatically makes it my favorite lol.

But: I'm a right handed person; I play the drums right-handed, and because the trumpet valves use my right hand's fingers, I figured it would save time to just get left guitars and learn that way.

i'm the exact opposite - i'm a natural lefty, so i play the bass that way, but i learned drums right-handed, since it's not particularly easy to have to reverse the kit every time you're using one that isn't yours. funny thing is, i play Guitar Hero and the like right-handed. it's just easier that way for some reason.

i've dabbled in just about every electronic genre you could think of, up to and including noise, but currently i'm working on some big beat stuff; it's been a lot of fun. basically any genre that involves breakbeats is one that i'm good at. what about you?

I never could get in to Noise, but Drone and ambient stuff is very interesting. I made mostly four-to-the-floor house for the first couple of years (unfortunately :P) but lately I've been making slow, chillout, breakbeat tracks. I like finding bizarre samples, like whispering/softspoken sounds, and layering them with synths. Less composing, and more sampling.

IetTsFQ.png

I never could get in to Noise, but Drone and ambient stuff is very interesting. I made mostly four-to-the-floor house for the first couple of years (unfortunately :P) but lately I've been making slow, chillout, breakbeat tracks. I like finding bizarre samples, like whispering/softspoken sounds, and layering them with synths. Less composing, and more sampling.

sampling is the reason i like genres like big beat and mashcore so much, heh. it's a lot of fun to take other songs and make something new out of them, rather than compose something solely on your own; although i've been getting much better at that as well.

I've played pipe organ since I developed an interest in it at the age of 7. I had already played piano, but the pipe organ is my speciality now. I really love Bach.

My favorite stops are Vox Angelica, Vox Humana (weird choice, I know) Trumpet 8', Principal 8', and Rhör Floute 16'.

I discovered at a young age that I had a my much better than average ear. I have videos of myself playing Bach's Little Fugue in G Minor at the age of 5 or 6, accurately!

My pipe organ belonged to Dr. Virgil Fox and I have paper work to prove it!

The pipe organ is my life.

Edited by PrismWind
  • Upvote 3

i'm the exact opposite - i'm a natural lefty, so i play the bass that way, but i learned drums right-handed, since it's not particularly easy to have to reverse the kit every time you're using one that isn't yours. funny thing is, i play Guitar Hero and the like right-handed. it's just easier that way for some reason.

It's easier because your left hand is pressing the buttons down...You're a natural lefty so that hand is stronger and faster by default, right? That's the same reason I play guitar lefty even though I'm a righty (and the trumpet). As far as drumming goes, though, being lefty on a right handed kit has an infinite number of advantages depending on the perspective.

evergrey_l01.gif

Other great bands:

I've played pipe organ since I developed an interest in it at the age of 7. I had already played piano, but the pipe organ is my speciality now. I really love Bach.

My favorite stops are Vox Angelica, Vox Humana (weird choice, I know) Trumpet 8', Principal 8', and Rhör Floute 16'.

I discovered at a young age that I had a my much better than average ear. I have videos of myself playing Bach's Little Fugue in G Minor at the age of 5 or 6, accurately!

I've played the organ a dozen-odd times and oh dear I was really struggling at first. It's so much more difficult because it lacks key weight and a damper pedal, leaving the fingering all screwed up before you're halfway through ...

Props to you for being able to master it.

I used to play and practice piano regularly and avidly, but have lately found that I don't have the time to keep it up and that it tends to be stressful for me. I guess college and then graduate school have relegated it to something a little less than a hobby. I don't know. I'm currently trying to learn once piece at a time, and only pieces I really enjoy at that, to fight the burnout. I'm slowly practicing a certain Op. 48 No. 2 right now, for instance. No matter what happens to my playing, though, I'll never stop loving piano music - especially Nikolai Medtner's, mentioned above, which will always be dear to me.

• Upvote 3

I've been playing guitar since I was ten, bass since sixteen, and piano since about seventeen, though I'm not particularly proficient with it. I've also been singing as long as I could talk according to my mother, though it's been years since I managed to write a set of lyrics. I also have a bit of a hobby in the form of making EPs and albums of music I put together :D 

• Upvote 2
baltimore_ravens.png

I give you props for learning any keyboard-type instrument! I tried to learn it and I just can't do it. That's great that you can do it though!

evergrey_l01.gif

Other great bands:

Any fellow Bach fans here?

Bach is absolutely the best when it comes to musical architecture. I can't quite say that he's my favorite composer, but in terms of writing absurdly good counterpoint at an absurdly fast rate, there's none better. When you're writing a cantata a week for years on end and write fewer parallel fifths than you have children, you're doing something right.

I'm not a particular fan of the famous D minor Toccata and Fugue but I think that's probably because it's just so dang overused. The WTC and Art of Fugue pieces make me beyond jealous though.

Any fellow Bach fans here?

Bach is absolutely the best when it comes to musical architecture. I can't quite say that he's my favorite composer, but in terms of writing absurdly good counterpoint at an absurdly fast rate, there's none better. When you're writing a cantata a week for years on end and write fewer parallel fifths than you have children, you're doing something right.

I'm not a particular fan of the famous D minor Toccata and Fugue but I think that's probably because it's just so dang overused. The WTC and Art of Fugue pieces make me beyond jealous though.

I don't like the toccata very much but the fugue is great!

So as far as musical accomplishments go, my school had region band auditions on the 6th and I was part of the best trumpet section there: there are 3 bands of 7 trumpets each...so 21 trumpets make region and 74 tried out this year. 5 of us made it this year and 1 made 2nd alternate.

My friends were 20th, 8th, 7th, and 6th, and I myself made 3rd.

We are a Class 5A school and the 1st 5 5A trumpets go to Area...4/those 5 going to area are us!

I'll post an update in this topic after the area audition (January 10th), but I'm practicing my tail off to advance to State! No matter what happens though, I'm super proud to be a part of the section because of how well we did!

evergrey_l01.gif

Other great bands:

Well this is going to be an abnormally long post of mine. =P

Edit: oh yeah and I'm first chair clarinet in intermediate band, which is 8th overall if I recall right.

I play most of the woodwinds and have:

Clarinets: 

Noblet Bb Clarinet- 190?

Buffet Eb Clarinet- 1918

Selmer Paris Bass Clarinet- 1951

ton of other mostly junky clarinets that I am repairing, only one really worth noting is a Noblet Metal Clarinet

Saxes:

Buescher Tenor- 1924

Yanagisawa Baritone- 1972

and I can use these double reeds:

Loree Oboe- 1937

Selmer Paris English Horn- 19??

I think I see a pattern in their ages (and their lower cost professionalness) . =P

And as you mentioned All-State, I'll mention if I get in, my tryouts are at the end of January.

Edited by Rahkshi Guurahk
  • Upvote 1

-Rahkshi Guurahk
GENERATION 3: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
If I actually tried putting all the stuff I like on here, the sig would burst.

d1O9dXQ.png

(This banner is created by http://www.bzpower.com/board/user/59020-onaku/ )

I play the piano, guitar and a bit of drums, as well as sing. I'm primarily a composer, but I've been learning to play classically for about six years. I also work quite a bit on producing EDM (like Jeordon [Dark Blue] and Arc). Music is pretty much my life, so I love it a lot. I'm planning on getting a degree in Music Composition and Audio Engineering after finishing school.

-Rez

I play the piano, guitar and a bit of drums, as well as sing. I'm primarily a composer, but I've been learning to play classically for about six years. I also work quite a bit on producing EDM (like Jeordon [Dark Blue] and Arc). Music is pretty much my life, so I love it a lot. I'm planning on getting a degree in Music Composition and Audio Engineering after finishing school.

-Rez

I wish I had it in me to get those degrees. Good luck with your endeavors ^_^
  • Upvote 3

IetTsFQ.png

I've played the piano for ~8 years now, and for the last ~2 years I've played alto saxophone. I currently hold the 1st chair alto sax for the whole (school) band (which isn't saying much, considering there's 2 alto saxes for the whole band, including me =P) My favorite music to play is mostly jazz, but occasionally classical also (in piano mostly). As to long term goals, nothing as of right now, but a career in music is definetely a fine possibility.

2xu8Ptu.png

I've played the piano for ~8 years now, and for the last ~2 years I've played alto saxophone. I currently hold the 1st chair alto sax for the whole (school) band (which isn't saying much, considering there's 2 alto saxes for the whole band, including me =P) My favorite music to play is mostly jazz, but occasionally classical also (in piano mostly). As to long term goals, nothing as of right now, but a career in music is definetely a fine possibility.

There's some off-the-beaten-path classical repertoire for saxophone; most fuse (or attempt to fuse) jazz into something more traditional. Erwin Schulhoff's Hot Sonata and Leo Ornstein's Ballade are excellentor, for something with orchestral accompaniment, Alexander Glazunov's E-flat Concerto is a perennial favorite.

The saxophone has such an excellent sound; it's a shame it never got to be a standard classical instrument.

There's some off-the-beaten-path classical repertoire for saxophone; most fuse (or attempt to fuse) jazz into something more traditional. Erwin Schulhoff's Hot Sonata and Leo Ornstein's Ballade are excellentor, for something with orchestral accompaniment, Alexander Glazunov's E-flat Concerto is a perennial favorite.

The saxophone has such an excellent sound; it's a shame it never got to be a standard classical instrument.

My, my, those are indeed good pieces. All three of them portray the saxophone's classical/chamber music capabilities quite well. I think a major reason why the saxophone never became as a major classical instrument is because it came several hundred years later =P, as it obviously has the potential to be a great classical music instrument.

I admire and respect all who can play the piano as I do not have the patience to learn it.

It helps to learn at an early age, since in my experience, one's patience decreases with age =P

2xu8Ptu.png

My, my, those are indeed good pieces. All three of them portray the saxophone's classical/chamber music capabilities quite well. I think a major reason why the saxophone never became as a major classical instrument is because it came several hundred years later =P, as it obviously has the potential to be a great classical music instrument.

I kinda want to learn the saxophone too. I just don't want to buy one right now haha

evergrey_l01.gif

Other great bands:

• 3 weeks later...

Omg Jake you're so obsessed with the organ lol. 

Anyways, I play piano... decently... and I play drums... decently... I prefer piano though.

Omg Jake you're so obsessed with the organ lol. 

No... just... no. Stop please.

• 1 month later...

Percussion. 

I'm in the percussion section in our school's advanced concert band, and also in our concert line in Indoor Percussion. Last year, we moved from a movement line to Class A concert, which is the lowest group. We got first place in all but one competition, and our score at state finals was the highest ever, in any class, that year. So basically the Indiana Percussion Association was like "if you're just gonna do that then you can't be in this class anymore." So now we're in Open Class. 

Also I'm in the front ensemble in marching band, and that's pretty cool.

I'm planning on learning some other instruments, like maybe guitar or violin. Basically music is pretty cool.

OqAhaVh.gif   qIprtVB.png     

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Bionicle G1 continuation and video-game project(MUSIC COMPOSER)  
special thx to Inary the Gunhaver for my new username. 

One of my friends has been a master pianist since he was young and little, he can play anything perfectly by ear. I myself wish to know how to play the piano and  harmonica

Edited by Iaredios

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Spherus Magna redo | Tzais-Kuluu  |  Pushing Back The Tide  |  Last Words  |  Black Coronation  | Blue Man Bound | Visions of Thasos   ن

We are all but grey specks in a dark complex before a single white light

• 5 years later...

Oh boy, I've been playing guitar & bass since I was 11. I've been part of a few different projects but I mainly play in a death metal band called Horror, & I just recently put my first EP up and stuff. I'm super jealous of you guys, I've always wanted to learn piano but never really have had the chance to yet.

Ok so check this out; I got an awesome deal on a Les Paul this year, and I finally own my own Gibson. I've always been way more of an Ibanez/ESP player but man, I've always wanted one of these so bad. It's an '09 Fireburst Studio. I picked it up for about $300. :smilewinkgrin: 

Untitled.png.810206e4ceb9d1782fd46317df703580.png
:t:     :r:     :a:     :n:     :s:     :f:     :m_o:     :r:     :m: