S&T#7: Memoirs -- MATH POLL

[Please read the starting post first.] Approximately how many winners do you think there should be in Memoirs? (Out of 15 categories.)  

69 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The results of this poll will not be exactly binding, but I wanted to give people this opportunity to help decide. I will factor this plus the way each individual category goes, and how many categories have multiple entries. After round one ends (all the individual category polls, plus this poll), I'll have a final ranking poll (or rounds of polls if needed) which will be multiple choice, and the results of that might affect the number too (for example if there are less that get a lot of votes there than the number picked here).

So, don't worry about picking a "final answer" on the number here, just what you're thinking right now. On the other hand, if you do feel strongly about a particular number, feel free to explain why in a post here. :)

Please be aware that any number higher than half the number of categories is unlikely to be chosen, since there's so many more categories than in past contests, but I included the option anyways just to keep the poll fair. :)

[Original wording of this poll said 16 categories, so 8 was half, but one category with one DQed entry had to be cut, so 15 now.]

[uPDATE: The administration has decided to reduce the amount of time for voting due to little activity since the initial voting. The new deadline is Thursday, March 5.]

Edited by bonesiii

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

Why is 0 an option?

Add me on 3DS: 0516-7750-0068

Add me on Wii U: Boidoh

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 4: Never Trust a Snake

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 44: Corridor of Elders

Like, Comment, And Subscribe for Nintendo Content - NinBoidoh

Because:

1) It's hypothetically possible somebody thinks none of the entries are up to par.

2) As you know (:P), some are against any new additions to canon regardless.

While it's extremely unlikely that zero will be accepted, heh, I still thought it best to include it.

• Upvote 2

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

I said three. It's the maximum number of short stories that have been canonized through similar contests, and hopefully it's few enough that only the really good ones will get through.

(Personally, I don't have a lot of stock in this contest, since I didn't write "An Even Exchange" until after the submission deadline had passed. In another history, maybe...)

"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
-- Harlan Ellison

Argh. My memory says that only 1 entry meets my high quality standards, there can be only 1. My memory is being a jerk. Um...

This poll title references math, so the logical thing would be to take 5, since that's a third - the top 33% of exceptional writing and all that. But that may be too broad for a contest...I'll compromise and go with 3.  

I voted for four.

One half of me wanted to vote for five because, being perhaps the last contest, I think there should be a good sized pool of winners. It is also just a good, round number. The other half was drawn towards three winners, which is just a common course of action. Four winners was my compromise, as fourth place does sometimes get recognized, but not usually fifth.

I voted 7. This is gonna be the last of the BIONICLE. Might as well make it count.

Add me on 3DS: 0516-7750-0068

Add me on Wii U: Boidoh

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 4: Never Trust a Snake

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 44: Corridor of Elders

Like, Comment, And Subscribe for Nintendo Content - NinBoidoh

As a contestant, I'm naturally inclined to vote for the largest number possible to give myself a better change of winning, .  Instead I've decided to vote for three because I'd rather see quality over quantity.  Four is fine too, but I do feel like this is a contest, not a canon approving committee, so only the best entries should win.

Either way, I'm excited that the polls are finally up! 

Library

Memory (Memoirs of the Dead Entry, vote here!)

Nowhere Current Status: Complete

gallery_105736_136_2085.jpg

I'd say three also. It's a good, even (actually odd) number that allows for a fair amount of fan input without overwhelming canon with ideas from anyone. It'll force voters to be more selective and hopefully narrow down the range of entries that make it.

Not Tikicrazy. Not Tikiloco. Just plain ol' Tikiturbo.

Check Out My S&T 7 Entry: "Teacher" Below

http://www.bzpower.c...?showtopic=7740

KINGDOM HEARTS Fan? PM me.

I went with "more than half" because, first off, I thought there was going to be one winner per category. I know this isn't the case now, though.

I also thought that, well, it's the last contest for old gen. It does no real harm to have more winners (outside of some possible inconsistencies), and since these will be the last things to be added to canon, well... I'm all for being flooded with new canon before moving onto the new gen.

I understand this will be an unlikely outcome, though, so I'm not too fussed about the number. More than zero, hopefully. c:

Memoirs of the Dead entry: The Unknown Turaga, a tale from the late Chronicler Kodan's journal.

Strakk's Best Friend, the story of a confusing yet somehow canon friendship.

Terrible Comics, a collection of comics that are terrible.

I also thought that, well, it's the last contest for old gen. It does no real harm to have more winners (outside of some possible inconsistencies), and since these will be the last things to be added to canon, well... I'm all for being flooded with new canon before moving onto the new gen.

I understand this will be an unlikely outcome, though

It's probably unnecessary to say this due to the last line in this quote, but just for the record, I think quality issues could do harm beyond consistency issues, and voters' expressing of that in their voting and posts will be factored in choosing the final number (hopefully the later ranking poll will basically cover it, but we'll see). That's somewhat subjective, but not entirely.

Why can there not be one from every category? Why is it so ridiculous to have more than half accepted, let alone one from each when this may be the last addition to the old canon we ever get?

I didn't say it was "ridiculous" (I often point out that's a bad argument; it means "able to be ridiculed" which could apply to anything from a different POV), but it would be inconsistent with past contests. In both A Thousand Years Untold contests (the ones most relevant here, being S&T story-writing contests), I set the number of categories from the start, and it was way smaller than the total number of protagonists entrants used in this contest. Here the theme required a "to be determined" way of categorizing.

I noted in the rules that the polls might have narrower categories than what I ended up using. I could have forced a smaller number on the polls according to that, but I decided it would be best to judge each character individually first, since obviously no two entries for the same character can win; that's the logical place to start in determining the final categories. And I decided it would be too arbitrary to add other groupings in later, so it's based on popularity instead. Presuming voters are concerned with quality, this is probably the best way to do it all things considered. :)

And if I forced there to be one per protagonist, there'd be a whole bunch of entries ushered in without giving people the chance to vote at all. Ungood. :P

Why can there not be one from every category? Why is it so ridiculous to have more than half accepted, let alone one from each when this may be the last addition to the old canon we ever get?

I didn't say it was "ridiculous" (I often point out that's a bad argument; it means "able to be ridiculed" which could apply to anything from a different POV), but it would be inconsistent with past contests. In both A Thousand Years Untold contests (the ones most relevant here, being S&T story-writing contests), I set the number of categories from the start, and it was way smaller than the total number of protagonists entrants used in this contest. Here the theme required a "to be determined" way of categorizing.

I noted in the rules that the polls might have narrower categories than what I ended up using. I could have forced a smaller number on the polls according to that, but I decided it would be best to judge each character individually first, since obviously no two entries for the same character can win; that's the logical place to start in determining the final categories. And I decided it would be too arbitrary to add other groupings in later, so it's based on popularity instead. Presuming voters are concerned with quality, this is probably the best way to do it all things considered. :)

And if I forced there to be one per protagonist, there'd be a whole bunch of entries ushered in without giving people the chance to vote at all. Ungood. :P

How many categories only have one entry? You could always group a few of those together.

zaktancopyja2.png

Last of the Matoran Universe (please read and review)

To what advantage? If the math of the results is about the same this way, there's no cause for complaint to stick to this way. And I mentioned that possibility in the post you quoted, and said it would be arbitrary and is unnecessary. :)

• Upvote 1

4, if not less. So i went with 3 -- theres bound to be 3 cool stories among the entries

Archon                      

"For one to truly feel alive, the person must kill oneself a little bit each and every day."

Check out my MOC, one of the new generation of Toa on Spherus Magna!

***Toa Kyraan***