Personal Set Tweaks

DoktorFreizeit

So...just got two protectors today. You get 13 studs for the gun right? I double stacked them so they are heavier and easier to find. This modification limits the range on them by making the ammo heavier, but it is also easier to find due to being a bigger element that reflects light.

A helpful trick for keeping track of ammo is to use fluorescent studs (like the Trans. Bright Green ones from the Protector of Jungle, the Trans. Fluor. Reddish Orange ones from the Protector of Fire, or the Trans. Fluor. Green ones from the Protector of Stone). With those, if one gets lost in a carpet or such, you can use a blacklight to make them glow brightly against their surroundings.

Mind linking these pieces on Bricklink? I cant seem to find them somehow? And thanks for this tip! It will hopefully be very useful :) (although I dont plan to shoot my Protectors guns anytime soon.)

So...just got two protectors today. You get 13 studs for the gun right? I double stacked them so they are heavier and easier to find. This modification limits the range on them by making the ammo heavier, but it is also easier to find due to being a bigger element that reflects light.

A helpful trick for keeping track of ammo is to use fluorescent studs (like the Trans. Bright Green ones from the Protector of Jungle, the Trans. Fluor. Reddish Orange ones from the Protector of Fire, or the Trans. Fluor. Green ones from the Protector of Stone). With those, if one gets lost in a carpet or such, you can use a blacklight to make them glow brightly against their surroundings.

Mind linking these pieces on Bricklink? I cant seem to find them somehow? And thanks for this tip! It will hopefully be very useful :) (although I dont plan to shoot my Protectors guns anytime soon.)

Here's the piece. The most common fluorescent colors, by Bricklink name, are Trans-Bright Green, and Trans-Neon Green, Trans-Neon Orange. Trans-Orange is also mildly fluorescent but isn't used in any of the Protectors. So are Trans-Medium Blue and Trans-Neon Yellow, but those are exceedingly rare compared to the aforementioned colors (the latter especially) so I wouldn't recommend using them as ammo no matter how careful you are with them.

• Upvote 2

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

• 2 weeks later...

Never ever ever. The set MUST be exactly as pictured.

You mean the pictures that sometimes have slightly different construction?  ;)

Let's see, Jaller Mahri has his "crab-backpack" with his remaining pieces (albeit strangely) put on his back for swapping out modes (Crab on back - Crab & Cordak on Back - Normal Mode), Nuparu Mahri has more dark grey and is going to have a back weapons mod for his shield and Aqua Blaster Blade and Hewkii has his proportions improved, a hand, his colour problems fixed and his Cordak on top of his arm (as well as another "mask spike"), but other than those and slight things with the rest and Nuva, can't think of much.

Pre-forums purge sig kept for historical purposes:

Some cool Bionicles are the combiners. Example: Toa Jovan

I've built a Krahka with 5 Toa Metru & Toa Norik, adding parts I needed to Norik. It needs 11 blue pieces (the ones that have +&O ends) but there's only 10 in all the Toa Metru sets. Do I have to attach her launcher to her arm? Please PM me if you can help me.

http://www.bzpower.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=309724

Aside from given them articulated fingers, I've tweaked most of them.

- Gali and Kopaka are untouched

- Modded Lewa so that he has full movement in his neck/head

- Still tweaking Tahu. I wanted to make some changes to his legs because they look pretty bad, bland, and extremely hollow in the back.

>>> Removed one pair of extensions on his legs (the ones that connect to his hips)

>>> I used this Chima piece I found online to replace the gold armor on his shoulders and hips: http://brickset.com/parts/6075042

>>> Took one pair of these (http://brickset.com/parts/design-19087) and added them to the front on his shins.

>>> I plan to fill out the cavities behind his shins with either red or trans orange shells

Doing a configuration similar to Metalbeard's hand to give Onua claws. I'm still waiting for the parts, but here's what Metalbeard's hand looks like on Onua's arm.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Xia-Nui/Bionicle-Pics/onua_prototype.jpg

Still messing around with Pohatu. I couldn't find a way to replicate his original geared kick/bottom heaviness without the design looking atrocious.

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=6214042

Edited by Deadalus
  • Upvote 1

bionicleskullhand_resized.jpg

Aside from given them articulated fingers, I've tweaked most of them.

- Gali and Kopaka are untouched

- Modded Lewa so that he has full movement in his neck/head

- Still tweaking Tahu. I wanted to make some changes to his legs because they look pretty bad, bland, and extremely hollow in the back.

>>> Removed one pair of extensions on his legs (the ones that connect to his hips)

>>> I used this Chima piece I found online to replace the gold armor on his shoulders and hips: http://brickset.com/parts/6075042

>>> Took one pair of these (http://brickset.com/parts/design-19087) and added them to the front on his shins.

>>> I plan to fill out the cavities behind his shins with either red or trans orange shells

Doing a configuration similar to Metalbeard's hand to give Onua claws. I'm still waiting for the parts, but here's what Metalbeard's hand looks like on Onua's arm.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Xia-Nui/Bionicle-Pics/onua_prototype.jpg

Still messing around with Pohatu. I couldn't find a way to replicate his original geared kick/bottom heaviness without the design looking atrocious.

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=6214042

Awesome modifications!

I wasn't satisfied with Pohatu's poor excuse for a knife, so I gave him a new one I had lying around. That's a knife! I was surprised with how the Lewa Nuva blade just so happened to match Pohatu's armor, I feel like I lucked out there.

I also added the leftover spike pieces from Team Straya Stone to the Lord of Skull Spiders. I don't have a picture of him readily available at the moment.

• Upvote 1

"Child of Dunwich rise
You have your father's eyes
C h i l d   o f   D u n w i c h   r i s e
End the world that you despise"

I wasn't satisfied with Pohatu's poor excuse for a knife, so I gave him a new one I had lying around. That's a knife! I was surprised with how the Lewa Nuva blade just so happened to match Pohatu's armor, I feel like I lucked out there.

I also added the leftover spike pieces from Team Straya Stone to the Lord of Skull Spiders. I don't have a picture of him readily available at the moment.

I have an extra Lewa knife in that color too! Thanks for showing that improvement! :)

I don't think there are any sets that I haven't modified :P

It's also very bizarre for me to see multiple people citing perfectionism as their reasons for adamantly never changing sets, because I too am a raging perfectionist, and my perfectionism is the very reason I HAVE to modify. There are always so many little things the designers could have done differently, and for some reason just didn't, that would make each set so much better. And on occasion, it's not-so-little things -- I ended up having to rebuild Lesovikk with a custom torso and entirely different arm configurations, feet, and sword before I was satisfied with him.

I've already got blueprints in my head for alterations to any of the 2015 Toa I can get my hands on.

Edited by Junkbot Master of Trash
  • Upvote 3

-------------------------------------
bohrok_lol.jpg
Rate The Song Above You

I don't think there are any sets that I haven't modified :P

It's also very bizarre for me to see multiple people citing perfectionism as their reasons for adamantly never changing sets, because I too am a raging perfectionist, and my perfectionism is the very reason I HAVE to modify. There are always so many little things the designers could have done differently, and for some reason just didn't, that would make each set so much better. And on occasion, it's not-so-little things -- I ended up having to rebuild Lesovikk with a custom torso and entirely different arm configurations, feet, and sword before I was satisfied with him.

I've already got blueprints in my head for alterations to any of the 2015 Toa I can get my hands on.

Yeah, with the cost-cutting and other limitations that the set designers have to work with, I doubt that the final, official sets are anything but "perfect" or what the set designers would have ideally wanted. In my opinion, the only sets that look completely fine as by the instructions are the earlier and less complex sets such as the most 2001 sets and most matoran. Brutaka comes pretty close to looking perfect as well.

• 2 weeks later...

when I first got them off Ebay a couple/half a dozen (I dont remember exactly when) years ago, I changed my Toa Mata set to give them matching arms.

Last week I gave Pohatu (which I turned upside down) alot of armour, and I gave Onua full articulation.

I did a bunch of small things to them aswell. Like giving Tahu an extra sword, and Giving Kopaka some extra armour.

I left Gali completely unchanged though  :P 

Other than my Mata. All other sets have been taken apart for mocs.

Edit: I realized my Toa Mata-Nui and Kiina are also pretty much the same. I just tweed their armour and weapons a bit. 

Edited by Toa Doublebee

keetongorange-bionicle-logo-small.png

I usually never add parts that aren't already on the set and generally I only ever rearrange things to accommodate weapon storage. The one thing I've done that breaks the first rule was replacing the axle in the neck of all of my Toa Mata/Nuva with a length of pneumatic "flex" tubing so that they've all got head articulation.

Like a few other people here, I typically swapped out the red size-2 axles and the blue rods for their black counter parts. I don't do this anymore since I've sort of grown to like the small breaks in the overall color scheme.

For the most part though, my sets were either built as pictured or scraped for MOCs.

You've got a couple options for that.

The simplest would be to remove all the gears and attach the arms with these pieces.

If you want a greater range of articulation, though, put one of these inside the gearbox and attach 3M axles through the holes, balljoints to the axles, sockets to the balljoints, and the arms to the sockets. The technique is used in this stop-motion film, and seeing it will probably give you a better sense of how it works than my convoluted description :P

bohrok_lol.jpg
Rate The Song Above You

I find he doesn't look too bad if you just move his shoulders down by one pin and his 'tail' up. The collar still gives him a unique look and they even cover up the exposed ball joints on his chest better. The problem is that where his shoulders are mounted directly effects the mobility of his neck. I don't see many ways of keeping them up so high while still getting the full range of movement. 

I find he doesn't look too bad if you just move his shoulders down by one pin and his 'tail' up. The collar still gives him a unique look and they even cover up the exposed ball joints on his chest better. The problem is that where his shoulders are mounted directly effects the mobility of his neck. I don't see many ways of keeping them up so high while still getting the full range of movement.

Yeah I just decided to put more of the armor pieces on his shoulders to keep that "bulked up" look.

The most obvious one--giving heartlights to every character I possibly could. Those little round 1x1 studs come in real handy. :P

Besides that, I haven't really done much to my sets. Maybe one or two here and there, but I can't remember what they are.

That's a great idea! I should try that.

To reply to the topic, personally I mix and match pieces from different Toa groups to get the limbs and bodies I want. I also find nail polish makes for good, metallic paint on the pieces (and can add glow-in-the-dark), and that way I can get them in any variety of colors I want - plus you can remove it fairly easily without damaging the actual part, should you want to change the color later. Just don't use acetone/nail polish remover, as it can react with plastic. Which I learned when a connector I accidently painted started smoking...

• Upvote 2

Alright, in addition to the heartlight thing I mentioned before, I've recently picked up a few more of the '15 sets--namely, Onua and the Protector of Fire--who I decided had to be modified.

PoF got longer legs, and had his shorter leg bones moved to his arms to provide elbows. 

Onua's lower legs have been switched out for the next size bone, to make him a bit taller.

~Your friendly, neighborhood Shadow

sotpbanner.png

~Credit for Avatar and Banner goes to

NickonAquaMagna~

I decided to make small-sized Toa rather than dismantling them strictly for parts. This is so I have inspiration to keep them intact until the summer wave, in which I will make small-sized villains and then say that my life is complete. lull :P

How tall are they in comparison to Toa Mata?

Either shorter or around the same size as the Toa Mata. I gauged their sizes to mimic their heights from the sets: Kopaka, Tahu, and Onua are all the same height, but slightly taller than Gali, Pohatu, and Lewa, who are also at the same height.

I decided to make small-sized Toa rather than dismantling them strictly for parts. This is so I have inspiration to keep them intact until the summer wave, in which I will make small-sized villains and then say that my life is complete. lull :P

Either shorter or around the same size as the Toa Mata. I gauged their sizes to mimic their heights from the sets: Kopaka, Tahu, and Onua are all the same height, but slightly taller than Gali, Pohatu, and Lewa, who are also at the same height.

Technically speaking, if you want them to reflect the heights of the sets, Onua and Pohatu should be the shortest, Tahu and Kopaka the tallest, and Gali and Lewa in between.

Technically speaking, if you want them to reflect the heights of the sets, Onua and Pohatu should be the shortest, Tahu and Kopaka the tallest, and Gali and Lewa in between.

I thought Kopaka was always the tallest. 

cringe

Kopaka's never been the tallest, at least not in the sets. The 2001 and 2002 sets were all more or less the same height except Pohatu and Onua, who were shorter than the others in both their Mata and Nuva forms. In the 2008 sets Kopaka was the third tallest, after Onua and Lewa. And in the 2015 sets, Kopaka is second tallest, after Tahu.

Not really. Kopaka Mata and Kopaka Nuva were both the same height as Tahu, Gali, and Lewa (save for minute differences in the heights of their masks). Kopaka Phantoka was the same height as Lewa and actually SHORTER than Onua.

EDIT: Disregard this comment. Aanchir is both more accurate and quicker to the punch.

Edited by Lyichir

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Not really. Kopaka Mata and Kopaka Nuva were both the same height as Tahu, Gali, and Lewa (save for minute differences in the heights of their masks). Kopaka Phantoka was the same height as Lewa and actually SHORTER than Onua.

EDIT: Disregard this comment. Aanchir is both more accurate and quicker to the punch.

Pohatu is tall this wave, right?

cringe