Personal Set Tweaks

DoktorFreizeit

I just modified the Protector of Fire and Ice by adding elbows and editing their leg proportions to match the extent of their now slightly modified arms. I also got the Protector of Water and managed to add more armor on the arms and made the turbines attach to her back instead of her arms.

*gasp* isn't that like giving a bone graft to someone with phocomelia?

LOL wut?

Ethics, man, ethics.

I think the question is more along the lines of what the pocket is phocomelia?

:r: :e: :g: :i: :t: :n: :u: :i:

Elemental Rahi in Gen2, anyone? A write-up for an initial video for a G2 plot

I really wish everyone would stop trying to play join the dots with Gen 1 and Gen 2 though,it seems there's a couple new threads everyday and often they're duplicates of already existing conversations! Or simply parallel them with a slightly new 'twist'! Gen 2 is NEW, it is NOT Gen 1 and it is NOT a continuation. Outside of the characters we already have I personally don't want to see ANY old characters return. I think it will cheapen the whole experience to those of us familiar with the original line...

I just modified the Protector of Fire and Ice by adding elbows and editing their leg proportions to match the extent of their now slightly modified arms. I also got the Protector of Water and managed to add more armor on the arms and made the turbines attach to her back instead of her arms.

*gasp* isn't that like giving a bone graft to someone with phocomelia?

LOL wut?

Ethics, man, ethics.
I think the question is more along the lines of what the pocket is phocomelia?
It's a disorder that can lead to people with no elbows. Some of the protectors have it.
  • Upvote 2

http://imgur.com/a/VqECZ

Here are a couple of pictures I was able to take of some of the 2015 Toa and the Protectors. You can see that I modified Lewa, Gali, and Pohatu to have Golden Armor like the rest of the other 3 Toa. I just hated how weird it looked when a Toa with no Golden Armor wore their Golden Mask and are standing right next to a Toa with Golden Armor and Mask. It just looked a little weird to me. So I was able to fix this by giving them some Golden Armor I got from NYCC and I personally like the results as they look much more unified. Not saying that they didn't before, because without this modification they still all looked amazing! The Protectors were good too except for the Protector of Ice, Fire and Water (to me atleast). I added elbows to the Protector of Ice and Fire and made the Protector of Fire slightly taller by giving him longer legs. I then tweaked the Protector of Water a little bit by giving her armor on her arms where the turbines used to be. I then made a little backpack I guess for her turbines and I think they look better this way since she no has armor on her arms aswell. These are just my personal preferences and tweaks on these new Bionicle 2015 sets and I dont plan on making anymore since these sets are so good!! 

​Oh yeah I'll probably do something for Lord of Skull Spiders later on haha.

I NEVER change my sets. I like to keep it official and I have to keep from flipping out whenever someone mentions taking their sets apart and using them to MOC or modding them. I know it shouldn't matter to me what other people do, but for some reason it really just irks me. Like, it crawls under my skin and I want to run over to wherever the person is and change their set back to how the instructions had it. Maybe I have aspergers? XD

• Upvote 2

I NEVER change my sets. I like to keep it official and I have to keep from flipping out whenever someone mentions taking their sets apart and using them to MOC or modding them. I know it shouldn't matter to me what other people do, but for some reason it really just irks me. Like, it crawls under my skin and I want to run over to wherever the person is and change their set back to how the instructions had it. Maybe I have aspergers? XD

Woah man take it easy. :P 

Idk I personally like to see other peoples modifications and such because I mean, thats the point of Lego, isnt it? To use your imagination? 

• Upvote 2

This is me.

Idk I personally like to see other peoples modifications and such because I mean, thats the point of Lego, isnt it? To use your imagination? 

I can get past it as long as there's a perfect instruction-following set bought and built to replace the one dismantled/changed, but otherwise it just crawls all over and irritates the heck out of me. It's really just an issue of mine that I should probably work with but just can't get rid of. XD

This is me.

High five! Glad I'm not alone. XD

Edited by BlatantlyHeroic

I can get past it as long as there's a perfect instruction-following set bought and built to replace the one dismantled/changed, but otherwise it just crawls all over and irritates the heck out of me. It's really just an issue of mine that I should probably work with but just can't get rid of. XD

This is me.

I second this. I guess it's just a 'perfectionist' thing, lol.

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

This is me.

I second this. I guess it's just a 'perfectionist' thing, lol.

This. This explains it so well. It all makes sense now. I've always been a perfectionist and this is just a part of that. I can see it all so clearly now.  :spinsmile:

I DO have Asperger's/ASD, but I am not against MOCing with or modding my sets by any means. After all, that's a big part of what they're designed for.

The only time modded sets ever really bug me is when a person doesn't realize they've modded a set — for instance, when a set reviewer has a certain part of the set built incorrectly and thus judges it according to how they built it rather than how it's intended to be built.

And of course, there are some times when somebody mods a set in a way that doesn't make any sense to me and possibly ruins one of the things I liked about the set in the first place. But that kind of personal preference applies to ANY kind of design — there are times when I can't even fathom why an official set is built a certain way, when it seems like there's another way that it would have made much more sense.

• Upvote 3

I DO have Asperger's/ASD, but I am not against MOCing with or modding my sets by any means. After all, that's a big part of what they're designed for.

The only time modded sets ever really bug me is when a person doesn't realize they've modded a set — for instance, when a set reviewer has a certain part of the set built incorrectly and thus judges it according to how they built it rather than how it's intended to be built.

And of course, there are some times when somebody mods a set in a way that doesn't make any sense to me and possibly ruins one of the things I liked about the set in the first place. But that kind of personal preference applies to ANY kind of design — there are times when I can't even fathom why an official set is built a certain way, when it seems like there's another way that it would have made much more sense.

Same with me. I occasionally modify my sets, but only in small, subtle ways that don't mess with the original design too much.

It wasn't until about 5 years ago that I really started MOCing, and it just opened up a whole new realm of options for me. :)

• Upvote 1

~Your friendly, neighborhood Shadow

sotpbanner.png

~Credit for Avatar and Banner goes to

NickonAquaMagna~

Same with me. I occasionally modify my sets, but only in small, subtle ways that don't mess with the original design too much.

It wasn't until about 5 years ago that I really started MOCing, and it just opened up a whole new realm of options for me. :)

Agreed! I usually do the same however I always end up reverting them back to normal in a weeks time.

For the new Kopaka set, I replaced the huge shoulders and chest for smaller, non-gold, parts. I also replaced all other gold parts (using parts from the PoI), as well as just using the two parts of the shield as blades and putting one in each hand.

Edited by Dual
  • Upvote 1

"Sometimes a hero has to do something else besides beat the villains and come home covered in glory. Sometimes, he has to make a sacrifice so that a lot of people, people he's never met before and who don't know his name, can live." -Hahli

For the new Kopaka set, I replaced the huge shoulders and chest for smaller, non-gold, parts. I also replaced all other gold parts (using parts from the PoI), as well as just using the two parts of the shield as blades and putting one in each hand.

Nice one! I was thinking of doing that long before the sets were released and all we had was pictures of the sets. White and gold reminded me too much of Takanuva, but now with the set in-hand, im actually loving this Kopaka a lot more than I thought I would! :D

I'd just change their eye colours.

Could you specify which characters you'd change? For the time being there are only two colors to choose from, so all you could really do is switch one for the other. But it's looking like we might get at least one other color in the summer...

• Upvote 1

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

I don't know if this counts as a 'tweak' or not, but I've been thinking about buying a second set of Protectors so I can keep the Toa in their combiner forms. 

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

I have three Toa Metru. I modified each one so that I removed the gear system (I left the white rod and two gears in for decoration) and replaced it with a certain Technic pipe, then added a couple of necessary pieces so that their arms move freely. I got this trick from somebody else, so wherever you are, thanks! :)

mindeth the cobwebs

I'd just change their eye colours.

Could you specify which characters you'd change? For the time being there are only two colors to choose from, so all you could really do is switch one for the other. But it's looking like we might get at least one other color in the summer...

Well in general for my older sets I would usually change their eye colours around to suit my tastes, but I would probably give Tahu2015 the yellow eyes.

I have three Toa Metru. I modified each one so that I removed the gear system (I left the white rod and two gears in for decoration) and replaced it with a certain Technic pipe, then added a couple of necessary pieces so that their arms move freely. I got this trick from somebody else, so wherever you are, thanks! :)

Can you provide instructions for that? I'd like to see how that works.

sotpbanner.png

NickonAquaMagna~

Sure. I'll have to make some soon. Hey, maybe I'll do a video demonstration like you did once! :D

• Upvote 2

mindeth the cobwebs

Sure. I'll have to make some soon. Hey, maybe I'll do a video demonstration like you did once! :D

That'll work! I should do more of those.

sotpbanner.png

NickonAquaMagna~

That'll work! I should do more of those.
Gotta warn you; the modification's sturdiness will actually vary. I'll cover that in the video, though. And I'd like to see more videos like that. Edited by Toa Varova
  • Upvote 2

mindeth the cobwebs

I got the Protector of Herbs & Spices and the Protector of Jungle today. Gotta say, I was disappointed by the "combiner" models, so I made a few adjustments. Not gonna post those here on account of i already made a new thread about custom ProToa combiners in the Bionicle Creations board.

I'm a person that likes to keep the sets built the original way as well...that being said, I'm going against that for the first time...I don't own any of the new sets currently...but when I do, I'm adding a part to Lewa's neck so he can look up...Him and Onua will have the same neck design when the deed is done. Other than that, I don't plan on doing anything else whenever I have the sets in hand.

evergrey_l01.gif

Other great bands:

Iron Maiden    Journey    Mercenary    The Unguided    Trivium

Boston    Stratovarius    Symphony X    Epica

I'm a person that likes to keep the sets built the original way as well...that being said, I'm going against that for the first time...I don't own any of the new sets currently...but when I do, I'm adding a part to Lewa's neck so he can look up...Him and Onua will have the same neck design when the deed is done. Other than that, I don't plan on doing anything else whenever I have the sets in hand.

Onua actually has a 2m bone for a neck. Check the online instructions!

I added some of the extra spike pieces from the Protector of Stone and Lord of Skull Spiders to the latter mentioned Lord. I did tend to tweak the generation one sets too but those changes are too numerous to list.

"Child of Dunwich rise
You have your father's eyes
C h i l d   o f   D u n w i c h   r i s e
End the world that you despise"

I now keep all my sets original, but I did at one point modify Lewa Mata by giving an arm connection that didn't flop.

I absolutely hated that aspect of the set, it made posing really difficult.

The Toa Mata were also given the golden masks on display for a long time. Not sure if that counts though.

So...just got two protectors today. You get 13 studs for the gun right? I double stacked them so they are heavier and easier to find. This modification limits the range on them by making the ammo heavier, but it is also easier to find due to being a bigger element that reflects light.

evergrey_l01.gif

Other great bands:

Iron Maiden    Journey    Mercenary    The Unguided    Trivium

Boston    Stratovarius    Symphony X    Epica

So...just got two protectors today. You get 13 studs for the gun right? I double stacked them so they are heavier and easier to find. This modification limits the range on them by making the ammo heavier, but it is also easier to find due to being a bigger element that reflects light.

A helpful trick for keeping track of ammo is to use fluorescent studs (like the Trans. Bright Green ones from the Protector of Jungle, the Trans. Fluor. Reddish Orange ones from the Protector of Fire, or the Trans. Fluor. Green ones from the Protector of Stone). With those, if one gets lost in a carpet or such, you can use a blacklight to make them glow brightly against their surroundings.

• Upvote 3

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

I'm an articulation fiend, as well as an aesthetic one - I can't help but joint and streamline all my sets, assuming they stay whole and don't wind up in various other things. I have a few 'Avatars' I have carried through the story and modified as the designs shift, but honestly the 'Toa' aspect of the character got a Metru body and kept it. The shoulders were swapped with the Friction pin/axle combo seen here: http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=32054 and mounted with the loose balljoints to give it functional shoulders.

• Upvote 1

Well I'm a MOCist so none of my sets are in their original form :P

• Upvote 2

Tahu; Hau (x) Pakari (x) Kakama (x) Miru (x) Akaku (x) Kaukau (x). Lewa; Hau (x) Pakari (x) Kakama (x) Miru (x) Akaku (x) Kaukau (x). Onua; Hau (x) Pakari (x) Kakama (x) Miru (x) Akaku (x) Kaukau (x). Kopaka; Hau (x) Pakari (x) Kakama (x) Miru (x) Akaku (x) Kaukau (x). Pohatu; Hau (x) Pakari (x) Kakama (x) Miru (x) Akaku (x) Kaukau (x). Gali; Hau (x) Pakari (x) Kakama (x) Miru (x) Akaku (x) Kaukau (x). 

Vakama; Huna (x) Ruru (x) Komau (x) Mahiki (x) Matatu (x) Rau (x). Matau; Huna (x) Ruru (x) Komau (x) Mahiki (x) Matatu (x) Rau (x). Whenua; Huna (x) Ruru (x) Komau (x) Mahiki (x) Matatu (x) Rau (x). Nuju; Huna (x) Ruru (x) Komau (x) Mahiki (x) Matatu (x) Rau (x). Onewa; Huna (x) Ruru (x) Komau (x) Mahiki (x) Matatu (x) Rau (x). Nokama; Huna (x) Ruru (x) Komau (x) Mahiki (x) Matatu (x) Rau (x). 
Matoran; Hau (x) Pakari (x) Kakama (x) Miru (x) Akaku (x) Huna (x) 
Rahi; Infected Hau (x) Huna (x) Kakama (x) Komau (x) Pakari (x) Ruru ()

Promotional Kanohi - Vahi (x) Chrome Hau (x) Ruru (x) TNGM (x) Copper Huna (x) Copper Komau ()

An (x) means I have, a () means I dont.