Was Tales of the Tohunga a good game?

Fry

Was Tales of the Tohunga a good game?  

41 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

It was pretty fun.

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

Tales of the Tohunga was actually the first Gameboy Advance Game I ever owned.  When I was younger, it was a fairly challenging game and I liked it for that.  I still remember messing around with the customization features and playing all the fun mini games. 

Good times...good times...

Seems legit.

comet.jpg

Who wants to play Kolhii?

I was just playing that a few hours ago, how funny. 

Well it was pretty good to be honest, but I do have my problems with it.

For one, it is glitchy like... erm.. I don't have a good comparison, but it was glitchy.. I had to restart my file today because I got stuck inside of a Matoran in Ga-Koro. When I restarted the file, it took a long while before I could get back to the area. I thought there were invisible steps in the water to get behind that Matoran, but turns out I just glitched my way into the Toa Stone area. I got the Toa Stone before Nokama... I get stuck in stuff A LOT.

Though it is a good game because... FIKOU! I mean check out my avatar. BLUE FIKOU!

• Upvote 1

Add me on 3DS: 0516-7750-0068

Add me on Wii U: Boidoh

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 4: Never Trust a Snake

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 44: Corridor of Elders

Like, Comment, And Subscribe for Nintendo Content - NinBoidoh

It's a pretty cool game for its time, though there were definitely a few problems with collision, and the game isn't too terribly clear at times on what to do; That being said it was still fun. Most of the game itself also lends itself to varying canonicity iirc, the overall story is canon and it fits in very well with the PC game, but the PC game was never released and the other canon sources disagree with it here and there.

But overall? I had fun playing it. :P

• Upvote 1

~Bionicle Online Games Guru~
Current Bionicle Sets: 232/250
2001: 23/24 2002: 20/21 2003: 22/22 2004: 22/22 2005: 23/23
2006: 16/22 2007: 22/22 2008: 25/27 2009: 26/26 2010: 4/6
2015: 18/18 2016: 11/17

• 2 weeks later...

It was the first Bionicle video game I played (not including the online games) and I enjoyed well enough. I really liked that you could customize the colors your Mator-er-Tohunga. 

10331959915_9f4d0b34c7.jpg
"Avengers? Fantastic Four? X-Dudes? They can all kiss my bony, flammable plastic."- Johnathan Blaze (Ghost Rider Vol 7 0.1)

It was the most amazing game ever played on the Game Boy Advance. Nobody can argue. I mean there's Pokemon, but guys. BIONICLE TOHUNGA. This was the adventure! Amazing graphics of the time and gameplay that was fun and had replay value-- overall amazing Bionicle experience! Who doesn't love going on matoran adventures as a custom matoran?

It wasn't without its faults, and was a little glitchy at times, but I definitely enjoyed playing it. Especially given how early BIONICLE was, the fact that we got a game at all was a pretty significant step.

The minigames were the best part, though.

:mirunu: Lewa0111 Nuva :mirunu:

Edited by Lewa0111 Nuva

My Script Comedies: | The Nuva Inn Remake | Ask Matau! Remake (ACCEPTING QUESTIONS!) |

My Prose Comedies: | The BZ-Nui Hack Wars | Mata Nova |

ANNOUNCEMENT: The Nuva Inn is BACK IN BUSINESS!! (See my blog for more info on my writing projects)

ANNOUNCEMENT 2: Looking for voice actors and artists/animators for an upcoming video project! PM me if interested!

It's a cute game with a quirky soundtrack and eccentric characters, plus the sprites are really nice. Also, this is the only source of media where you can see Takua summon the Toa Mata to the island for the first time which is really cool.

But it has not aged well. The gameplay is finnicky and the controls aren't tight enough for the platforming. Plus, it's really repetitive. The mini-games are really fun though!

This was the only piece of canon I did not go through all the way for my recent redigesting of G1 canon because I got frustrated with it (relegated to a Youtube playthrough instead).

-NotS

tahubanner.jpg

I will be looking for this game at a store nearby that has a lot of used GBA games. Wish me luck!

Yeah you'll need it... This game is supremely rare! Post a pic if you find it (especially if its in the packaging!)

-NotS

I got it sealed a month ago for 10 dollars. It's not at all rare.

Yay! I am far more hopeful now.

A fish wielding vampire. That's Spiffy.

It's a cute game with a quirky soundtrack and eccentric characters, plus the sprites are really nice. Also, this is the only source of media where you can see Takua summon the Toa Mata to the island for the first time which is really cool.

But it has not aged well. The gameplay is finnicky and the controls aren't tight enough for the platforming. Plus, it's really repetitive. The mini-games are really fun though!

The controls were pretty bad at release too. I think part of it is that isometric platforming never works well, since it's difficult to judge distance with the 3D-looking platforms. Then you add the horrible Volo Lutu Launcher and the platforming becomes even worse because you're judging varying distances instead of just the distance of your jump.

Still, it's a pretty fun game. 

Really fun, pretty hard at times. I hated any level with water because gauging depth while jumping was terrible. But awesome game with lots of mini games

audio_narration_project_banner_wide.jpg

Bionicle: ANP aims to create narrated versions of all the Bionicle books, with voice actors for each character, and music taken from various media to enhance the story. Check here if you're interested in voicing a character, and here for the chapters that've already been released!

Formerly: Tahu Nuva 3.0

Looking for a Bionicle Beanie. Black one with the symbol on it. Contact me if you are willing to sell

I got it sealed a month ago for 10 dollars. It's not at all rare.

Well darn. I, for one, can't find it anywhere.

The controls were pretty bad at release too. I think part of it is that isometric platforming never works well, since it's difficult to judge distance with the 3D-looking platforms. Then you add the horrible Volo Lutu Launcher and the platforming becomes even worse because you're judging varying distances instead of just the distance of your jump.

Still, it's a pretty fun game. 

Eh, it was more tolerable if you are kid and know nothing about bad game design. Frustrating sure, but you can't really go blaming the controls. 

-NotS

tahubanner.jpg

It's interesting. I haven't gotten very far in it, the controls are awkward but at least better than the crime against humanity that was Bionicle: The Game. I've been thinking about doing a review for that and just tearing it apart.

-BE EXCELLENT TO EACH OTHER-

It's interesting. I haven't gotten very far in it, the controls are awkward but at least better than the crime against humanity that was Bionicle: The Game. I've been thinking about doing a review for that and just tearing it apart.

Pohatu is my favorite of the original Toa. You should have seen my reaction when I first played his level and realized what the developers had done with it. 

The only good part of the game is the music.

• Upvote 1

Pohatu is my favorite of the original Toa. You should have seen my reaction when I first played his level and realized what the developers had done with it. 

The only good part of the game is the music.

The console/PC version is a masterpiece compared to the GBA version.

Speaking of the music, does anyone know where I can find that one song that played for the Bionicle: The Game teaser trailer that came with those promotional CDs that came with the Bohrak Kal and Rahkshi?

Edited by Xarok

-BE EXCELLENT TO EACH OTHER-