Middle-Earth Topic

Fry

I love J.R.R.Tolkien and there was no topic about Middle Earth, so I figured that I'd start one. Well, ere' goes.

The latest Hobbit movie was okay, in my opinion, though it had way more 'filler' moments than Desolation had. *SPOILERS! IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN THE MOVIE, LOOK AWAY!* For instance, they stretched out the battle between Thorin and Azog way too long. It didn't have to be half of the movie!

When you're working off of a book that you can finish in the time it takes to watch ONE of the movies based off of that book, you know that somwthing isn't right. Don't get me wrong, the movies aren't bad, alot of the 'filler' comes from books like the Silmirillion, so it isn't inaccurate 'filler' but I found myself really feeling this movies length.

Edited by PrismWind

• 2 weeks later...

*Spoiler*

I thought the first Hobbit movie was great, but the last two had too many fillers. :/  I loved the ending for Five Armies though, that hint of Aragorn made me smile.

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Spherus Magna redo | Tzais-Kuluu  |  Pushing Back The Tide  |  Last Words  |  Black Coronation  | Blue Man Bound | Visions of Thasos   ن

We are all but grey specks in a dark complex before a single white light

In regards to Hobbit films, I think the first one was good, the second was horrific, and the third, while having some awesome moments, was a particularly mediocre film. They took a small square of butter, and tried to spread it onto a giant sub roll.

I will keep my DVD of the Rankin-Bass version close, childish as it is, It was in my opinion an oddly better and more faithful adaption.

Edited by Mr. House
  • Upvote 1
I occasionally return to BZP for a nostalgic trip back. Hit me up on discord if you need anything. 

BZPRPG Characters that I will possibly revive, Mons-Shajs-Tarotrix-Aryll Vudigg-Jorruk Yokin-Senavysh Angavur

In regards to Hobbit films, I think the first one was good, the second was horrific, and the third, while having some awesome moments, was a particularly mediocre film. They took a small square of butter, and tried to spread it onto a giant sub roll.

I will keep my DVD of the Rankin-Bass version close, childish as it is, It was in my opinion an oddly better and more faithful adaption.

The Rankin-Bass version butchered Barad-Dûr. It also butchered the Witch king of Angmar... and the Mouth of Sauron. It completely destroyed the serious tone of the book by making it for little kids. When you read the books you realize; The Lord of the Rings is not for kids. It is more accurate, but I find my self cringing when I watch it. I actually prefer the 1978 Lord of the Rings animated movie.

I personally loved The Hobbit movies and i can have that opinion :)

My favorite has to be Desolation of Smaug, this scene is my favorite in that movie:

Edited by randomreviewerbros

Go check out our Youtube channel! We review BIONICLE and other LEGO related items!
https://www.youtube.com/user/RandomReviewerBros

The Rankin-Bass version butchered Barad-Dûr. It also butchered the Witch king of Angmar... and the Mouth of Sauron. It completely destroyed the serious tone of the book by making it for little kids. When you read the books you realize; The Lord of the Rings is not for kids. It is more accurate, but I find my self cringing when I watch it. I actually prefer the 1978 Lord of the Rings animated movie.

He's talking about the Rankin-Bass Hobbit movie, man. It's not a bad little thing, for what it was, honestly.

Really wish Bakshi got to make the second half of his LotR films, though. The '78 movie's rotoscoping wasn't even finished, I believe.

hElbrZ6.gif

He's talking about the Rankin-Bass Hobbit movie, man. It's not a bad little thing, for what it was, honestly.

Really wish Bakshi got to make the second half of his LotR films, though. The '78 movie's rotoscoping wasn't even finished, I believe.

Oh, sorry, I guess that I had the Return of the King on my mind >^.^< In that case, I'll have to agree. The movie trilogy wasn't very good.

Edited by PrismWind

Oh, sorry, I guess that I had the Return of the King on my mind >^.^< In that case, I'll have to agree. The movie trilogy wasn't very good.

Really? I love the Jackson movies. Just wonder how Bakshi would've handled the rest of the story, honestly.

hElbrZ6.gif

The Lord of The Rings movies I felt was an unbelievably great movie series and were just amazing in terms of their CGI and action scenes, they are in the top 20 movies of all time, and i feel they deserve to be there, but everyone is certainly entitled to their own opinion thats just mine I guess :)

Go check out our Youtube channel! We review BIONICLE and other LEGO related items!

The Lord of The Rings movies I felt was an unbelievably great movie series and were just amazing in terms of their CGI and action scenes, they are in the top 20 movies of all time, and i feel they deserve to be there, but everyone is certainly entitled to their own opinion thats just mine I guess :)

The Lord of the Rings movies were excellent I meant that The Hobbit trilogy wasn't very good.

Edited by PrismWind

The Lord of the Rings movies were excellent I meant that The Hobbit trilogy wasn't very good.

Yeah man I know I have to agree they werent as good as The Lord of the Rings movies

I have an idea: rather then make a movie series about the Silmarillion, why not have peeps commission Howard Shore to write music for the book itself, kind of like what Lucas Arts did for Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire? I think that would be stupendous.

• Upvote 1

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Spherus Magna redo | Tzais-Kuluu  |  Pushing Back The Tide  |  Last Words  |  Black Coronation  | Blue Man Bound | Visions of Thasos   ن

>music adaptation of the Silmarillion.
That already exists, it's called Nightfall In Middle Earth, and it's one of the best rock/metal albums of all time.

Honestly, I'd love to see a Silmarillion film done as a series of animated anthology films. Only real way I can see there being a movie, honestly- certainly is next to impossible to film.

hElbrZ6.gif

I enjoy Howard Shore's music and I would rather have music that is akin to the other films.

And yes, a detailed, traditionally animated film in 3-D H-D would be awesome.

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

I think that the Children of Húrin and the Silmarillion should be turned into a trilogy. That would be understandable, unlike turning a childrens book that could be read in half the time that it takes to watch the movie trilogy based of that book! Watch the 4 hour Hobbit: Tolkein Edit. It is all three movies edited to strictly follow the book. 

• 2 weeks later...

I think that the Children of Húrin and the Silmarillion should be turned into a trilogy. That would be understandable, unlike turning a childrens book that could be read in half the time that it takes to watch the movie trilogy based of that book! Watch the 4 hour Hobbit: Tolkein Edit. It is all three movies edited to strictly follow the book. 

I don't know if the Silmarillion would work well as a trilogy; most of it is told in narration, not dialogue, so the screenwriters would have to invent quite a lot of dialogue. At least in the Hobbit movie trilogy, I found much of the screenwriter-invented dialogue to be rather poor; It had a different, more modern, style and cadence than Tolkien's dialogue. So unless they hire someone who can more effectively mimic Tolkien's style, I can't say I look forward to a Silmarillion movie. The Children of Húrin could work, though, since it has more dialogue and is fleshed out in greater detail than much of the Silmarillion. Also, thanks for mentioning that 4 hour edit of the Hobbit movies; it sounds interesting!

Honestly, the lack of dialogue in the Silmarillion is a big reason why I can see an animated adaptation of it working. A lack of dialogue can come off as comical in live action or even CGI, but in 2D? It can work much easier.

As an FYI to naysayers, please do remember that Samurai Jack did this and pulled it off incredibly well.

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

Honestly, the lack of dialogue in the Silmarillion is a big reason why I can see an animated adaptation of it working. A lack of dialogue can come off as comical in live action or even CGI, but in 2D? It can work much easier.

Hm. I think the problem in that case would be not the lack of dialogue, but the lack of a continuous "one scene sets up the next" plot, despite the plot being very complex. If you wanted to adapt it without using much dialogue, I think you'd need a narrator for large portions of it, which might make it seem dull or pointless. On the other hand, an animated adaptation wouldn't have to play up the battle scenes as much as a live-action one, which would help it stay a lot more faithful to the source material. Perhaps the solution is to only adapt certain parts that do have a more linear narrative, like the story of Beren and Luthien.

As an FYI to naysayers, please do remember that Samurai Jack did this and pulled it off incredibly well.

Indeed. I've only seen a little bit of it, but it was done excellently and I could definitely get behind an animated Silmarillion adaptation using some similar techniques.