• Create Account

Welcome to BZPower!

Hi there, while we hope you enjoy browsing through the site, there's a lot more you can do if you register. The process is easy and you can use your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account to make it even faster. Some perks of joining include:
  • Create your own topics, participate in existing discussions, and vote in polls
  • Show off your creations, stories, art, music, and movies and play member and staff-run games
  • Enter contests to win free LEGO sets and other prizes, and vote to decide the winners
  • Participate in raffles, including exclusive raffles for new members, and win free LEGO sets
  • Send private messages to other members
  • Organize with other members to attend or send your MOCs to LEGO fan events all over the world
  • Much, much more!
Enjoy your visit!

Photo

How Do You Make Your Comics?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
64 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Crazed Hegemon P~M

Crazed Hegemon P~M
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Outstanding BZP Citizens
  • Soaring Champion

• 08-June 09
  • 475 posts
  •   Outstanding BZPower Citizen

Posted Nov 06 2011 - 03:05 PM

If you are a comic maker, describe how you make your comics, be they in MS Paint, GIMP, paper, dailies, weeklies, monthlies, MAS's, continuity-based, et cetera.I use MS Paint, and I usually make one every week or so.--:ruru:

#2 Offline Katuko

Katuko
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • Mask of Light Unveiled

• 21-March 05
  • 5,240 posts
  •  

Posted Nov 06 2011 - 03:18 PM

I haven't posted any comics on BZP, but whatever comics I make are hand-drawn, then possibly computer-colored in Photoshop.When working with sprites (not for comics, though) I use Paint.NET with some useful plug-ins.

Edited by Katuko, Nov 06 2011 - 03:19 PM.

rahkshi_elite_banner5b.png
Updated November 29th, 2014: Fixed issues with the Mangaia map, added Lava Launcher.
[ What YOU can do to help develop BIONICLE Fighter! ]
Click here for my: Art | BZP Blog | WordPress Blog

#3 Offline Phauxx Lightning

Phauxx Lightning
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • A Seventh Toa

• 23-September 07
  • 6,363 posts
  •  

Posted Nov 06 2011 - 03:28 PM

I haven't posted any on here, nor will I, but I do draw my own BIONICLE comics in my spare time.
Posted Image

#4 Offline DirtyDan5000

DirtyDan5000
  • Members
  • Flying Force!

• 08-August 06
  • 2,425 posts
  •  

Posted Nov 06 2011 - 04:01 PM

I used to do comics back in 2008. I used Paint for them. It's hard to post comics on here since you can't post every time you have a new comic up and you have to rely on others to make posts to keep it alive.

#5 Offline an actual real life horse

an actual real life horse
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • Emerging Ice Warrior

• 18-August 04
  • 1,857 posts
  •  

Posted Nov 06 2011 - 04:10 PM

with my mad photoshoop skillz

#6 Offline iPenguin

iPenguin
  • Members
  • Tahnok-Kal Attacks!

• 13-April 06
  • 3,244 posts
  •  

Posted Nov 06 2011 - 04:18 PM

I used to do comics back in 2008. I used Paint for them. It's hard to post comics on here since you can't post every time you have a new comic up and you have to rely on others to make posts to keep it alive.

Yes you can. You're allowed to double/triple/quadruple (etc.) post if each post is announcing a new comic.

20121021-frhgn7u158ujtpjk4wbhgp1ck.jpg

what

#7 Offline 2nd Lt. Jean Havoc

2nd Lt. Jean Havoc
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • Emerging Mata Nuian Protector

• 11-November 08
  • 1,638 posts
  •  

Posted Nov 06 2011 - 04:36 PM

Well, I usually use GIMP/MSpaint, but I prefer GIMP currently. I'm not that good of a GIMPer, working on my skills as of now.

7f12dd01955fb061046287bd68a97ab1.png

Otherwise known as Ehks

Steam Name: Ehksidian

Active BZPRPG characters:Zarok, Adov

#8 Offline Dralcax

Dralcax
  • Members
  • Emerging Flying Force

• 05-September 10
  • 2,258 posts
  •  

Posted Nov 06 2011 - 04:41 PM

I used to do sprites in GIMP with absolutely no regularity, but I'm planning hand-drawn, Gimp-colored biweeklies.

eW9kyVR.png

#9 Offline Crazed Hegemon P~M

Crazed Hegemon P~M
  • Premier Member
  • Soaring Champion

• 08-June 09
  • 475 posts

Posted Nov 06 2011 - 04:52 PM

My main problem with GIMP is the lack of transparent selection.Also, effects can be weird.--:ruru:

#10 Offline Tavakai

Tavakai
  • Members
  • Kohrak-Kal Attacks!

• 27-October 07
  • 2,886 posts
  •  

Posted Nov 06 2011 - 07:40 PM

I started out in Paint, mastered it, then moved over to Gimp. I also have begun to draw things in PowerPoint (such as my current banner). Now and then I still do Paint comics (which actually can be done really well--go take a look at some of Gerlicky's work, besides SpoofQuest! which is intentionally generic) just for nostalgia.

button.png

#11 Offline Lime Paradox

Lime Paradox
  • Members
  • Ice Warrior Defeated

• 10-July 07
  • 2,906 posts
  •  

Posted Nov 06 2011 - 09:17 PM

with my mad photoshoop skillz

:uh:...Except my photoshoop skillz are not actually all that mad. And also I use Paint for a lot of things. :mellow:

Edited by Lime Paradox, Nov 06 2011 - 09:18 PM.

Posted Image

#12 Offline Fighty

Fighty
  • Members
  • Defender of Mata Nui

• 11-February 07
  • 2,174 posts
  •  

Posted Nov 06 2011 - 09:29 PM

Paint + GIMP.

click the banner

reservoir_dogs.png

for a bloody good time

#13 Offline BioCry

BioCry
  • Members
  • Swarm Scavenger

• 05-May 10
  • 692 posts
  •  

Posted Nov 06 2011 - 09:48 PM

I use GIMP for most of the comic putting-together and MSPaint for sprite resizing. I am also planning for some hand drawn comics. ;)-:b::c::2::1:

:I

#14 Offline Akuna Toa of Sonics

Akuna Toa of Sonics
  • Members
  • Ice Warrior Defeated

• 14-June 08
  • 2,959 posts
  •  

Posted Nov 06 2011 - 10:53 PM

I do most of it in MS Paint, then add some effects in Gimp.

webmaster.png

#15 Offline Phovos

Phovos
  • Members
  • Mask of Time Discovered

• 07-September 07
  • 4,270 posts
  •  

Posted Nov 07 2011 - 04:43 AM

The few times I attempted a comic, I used Paint. Most comics I do though are done by hand and aren't coloured.

#16 Offline an actual real life horse

an actual real life horse
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • Emerging Ice Warrior

• 18-August 04
  • 1,857 posts
  •  

Posted Nov 07 2011 - 02:26 PM

Like a boss.

#17 Offline Crazed Hegemon P~M

Crazed Hegemon P~M
  • Premier Member
  • Soaring Champion

• 08-June 09
  • 475 posts

Posted Nov 07 2011 - 02:55 PM

Like a boss.

...Eh?--:ruru:

#18 Offline King Joe

King Joe
  • Members
  • Encountering Protodermis

• 26-January 11
  • 882 posts
  •  

Posted Nov 07 2011 - 03:04 PM

I use Paint.net with some plugins I just found. No regularity at all, besides keeping up my thread should it start to die. I just make comics when I want to. However, I usually will have a script of sorts in my head. I could never figure out GIMP.

#19 Offline Peach 00

Peach 00
  • Banned Members
  • Submerged!

• 31-August 09
  • 1,195 posts
  •  

Posted Nov 07 2011 - 10:48 PM

I don't post any comics I do on BZP, but I usually paint or draw them [Not MS Paint, if you know what I mean. ;-)].
On the day the wall came down / They threw the locks onto the ground
And with glasses high / We raised a cry / For freedom had arrived

On the day the wall came down / The ship of fools had finally run aground
Promises lit up the night / Like paper doves in flight

I dreamed you had left my side / No warmth, not even pride remained
And even though you needed me / It was clear that I could not do a thing for you

Now life devalues day by day / As friends and neighbors turn away
And there's a change that even with regret / Cannot be undone

Now frontiers shift like desert sands / While nations wash their bloodied hands
Of loyalty, of history / In shades of grey

I woke to the sound of drums / The music played, the morning sun streamed in
I turned and I looked at you / And all but the bitter residues slipped away

slipped away...

#20 Offline Crazed Hegemon P~M

Crazed Hegemon P~M
  • Premier Member
  • Soaring Champion

• 08-June 09
  • 475 posts

Posted Nov 09 2011 - 12:39 PM

I rely on MS Paint, which means that Macs are not very good for comic making (at least for me). However, there is always Paintbrush or VMWare Fusion.--:ruru:

#21 Online Fairy Paladin

Fairy Paladin
  • Premier Member
  • Mask of Time Discovered

• 11-October 07
  • 4,101 posts

Posted Nov 09 2011 - 01:56 PM

usually they're all hand-drawn, -inked, -coloured and even -lettered. ^_^

00doubt.jpg

^ click the above banner to read "Doubt", a two part comic connected to the Bionicle Mafia Booksby Voltex!

A Slightly Different Tale | Latest art: The Calm Before The Storm (Hahli Inika)

#22 Offline Malevolence

Malevolence
  • Banned Members
  • Tohunga

• 21-October 11
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted Nov 09 2011 - 02:32 PM

I'm thinking, once I finish up a few more chapters of Adventures in the LegoVerse, I'll try my hand at a comic using the same elements as that story. Photography!As for making them, I use a blend of GIPM and Paint.net now. The former is an old favourite, and it's a lot easier to use more putting things together, in my opinion. On the other hand, Paint.Net is a bit annoying with that stuff, but it's very useful for editing pictures.I used to - a VERY long time ago - make comics using the old MSPaint and I'd have to say with some pride that I was fairly detailed. I made furniture to use in the backgrounds, and even would carefully design backgrounds to be very detailed. Of course, on the other hand I depended a lot on Sprites for the characters. I actually think it would be fun to try my hand at this again.

69 Days to a Better Body
Days left: 45 | Days completed: 24 | Yesterday: Shoulder's & Glutes - Today's: Triceps - Tomorrow's: Biceps

Miles Completed: 123(+2 Miles) | Today's Time: 1H

Posted Image

Exercise time was too bloody hard to fix...forgot to track a few days...sorry.

MOCs: Sah n Dibum - Vehicles Part 1 - Mouldi Pheats - Daleks
Stories: Adventures in the LegoVerse

Interesting Stuff: Shows You're Watching

#23 Offline Kung Fu Pyro

Kung Fu Pyro
  • Members
  • Makuta Conquered!

• 10-December 09
  • 599 posts
  •  

Posted Nov 17 2011 - 08:18 PM

I use MSpaint and GIMP.

sigpart1.pngsigpart2.pngsigpart3.pngsigpart4.png

#24 Offline Crazed Hegemon P~M

Crazed Hegemon P~M
  • Premier Member
  • Soaring Champion

• 08-June 09
  • 475 posts

Posted Dec 01 2011 - 04:45 PM

OK, to keep this topic going, I'm going to ask you this: Describe how you organize the story in your comics, or how you organize the comics themselves if there really isn't a story.I tend to have story arcs integrated into the main series, with the main series itself not really having any story. I just try to transition from one arc to another, with some non sequiturs in between.On the other note, I organize the topic in seasons, with the file name being "comics[season #]-[comic #].png," with the comic number resetting to 1 at the beginning of a new season. For example, the second comic of the fourth season would be "comics4-2.png."--:ruru:

#25 Offline P962

P962
  • Members
  • Toa

• 21-October 11
  • 166 posts
  •  

Posted Dec 01 2011 - 04:54 PM

For my comic series Bionicle Manga, I use a ruler to keep the lines nice and neat, do a "rough draft" of the page, flesh out everything, and then I go back with a lead pencil and trace over what I've drawn so it looks professional like. I then take a picture with my camera, upload it to Kodak easyshare software, make any changes if neccisary, save it, upload it to brickshelf, and then I link it to BZpower. BM is based off the early years of Bionicle, so it follows the canon pretty closely.
A Toa eh? What kind of Toa am I?

Ever wanted to read a manga styled retelling of the early years of Bionicle? Here ya go!
http://www.bzpower.c...?showtopic=1384

#26 Offline Katuko

Katuko
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • Mask of Light Unveiled

• 21-March 05
  • 5,240 posts
  •  

Posted Dec 01 2011 - 06:15 PM

Two methods for me:1) I draw up outlines of the frames and make it all on one sheet of paper, or2) I sketch and color independent frames, then I paste them together afterwards in Photoshop.Like this. (Note: Not even the real WIP. I just slapped some sketches together, though they are supposed to become a comic in the end.)

rahkshi_elite_banner5b.png
Updated November 29th, 2014: Fixed issues with the Mangaia map, added Lava Launcher.
[ What YOU can do to help develop BIONICLE Fighter! ]
Click here for my: Art | BZP Blog | WordPress Blog

#27 Offline Makuta of Comedy

Makuta of Comedy
  • Members
  • Exo-Armored Toa

• 13-October 08
  • 763 posts
  •  

Posted Dec 03 2011 - 10:22 PM

I use MS Paint to hold the comics and sprites themselves, I use Gimp and Paint.net to alter/edit/rotate the sprites and backgrounds themselves because it is impossible in MS Paint.

If only you had known what horrible retribution your comment would rain down upon you.

#28 Online Ballom

Ballom
  • Premier Member
  • Morbuzakh Destroyed

• 13-June 06
  • 9,673 posts

Posted Dec 05 2011 - 08:53 PM

Shouldn't assume everyone makes comics. But, if I did, I'd most likely draw them myself, as opposed to using sprite abominations that are terribly worn-out.~B~

sands_banner.jpg

#29 Offline Ziko

Ziko
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Retired Staff
  • Stone Champion Defeated

• 04-October 07
  • 2,772 posts
  •   Retired Staff

Posted Dec 05 2011 - 08:58 PM

@Ballom: He didn't assume that; he started his post with "If you are a comic maker".Well, I don't really make comics for BZP anymore, but when I did I used Paint, GIMP, and Fireworks. Paint was assembling sprites; Fireworks was arranging everything, adding text, and putting in some effects; and GIMP was for other effects and stuff I used brushes for.There was also a comic that I hand-drew (not particularly pleasant-looking), and I used Photoshop and a tablet for that.When I draw comics in real life, I just use a regular pencil and paper; I'm not terribly advanced. =PThat's always fun to do... I should draw comics more often.

Edited by Ziko, Dec 05 2011 - 09:02 PM.

#30 Online Ballom

Ballom
  • Premier Member
  • Morbuzakh Destroyed

• 13-June 06
  • 9,673 posts

Posted Dec 06 2011 - 12:13 AM

@Ballom: He didn't assume that; he started his post with "If you are a comic maker".

Oops, I mainly skimmed the OP, and apparently missed that key "If." My apologies, Piraka~Mistika.~B~

sands_banner.jpg

#31 Offline Crazed Hegemon P~M

Crazed Hegemon P~M
  • Premier Member
  • Soaring Champion

• 08-June 09
  • 475 posts

Posted Dec 07 2011 - 04:36 PM

@Ballom: He didn't assume that; he started his post with "If you are a comic maker".

Oops, I mainly skimmed the OP, and apparently missed that key "If." My apologies, Piraka~Mistika.~B~

It's OK. I myself worried that people might accuse me of assuming that when I created the topic. ;)As a new discussion point, for those of you that use that use a computer program when/if you make comics, what program(s) do you use and what features do they have that you enjoy/use?--:ruru:

#32 Offline Justax-Kal

Justax-Kal
  • Members
  • Nuva Team Assembled

• 20-April 08
  • 2,572 posts
  •  

Posted Dec 10 2011 - 10:54 PM

Paint for the sprite stuff, GIMP and Photoshop for the real stuff.J-K out.

chimkalsig.png
Sort of retired

#33 Offline King Joe

King Joe
  • Members
  • Encountering Protodermis

• 26-January 11
  • 882 posts
  •  

Posted Dec 14 2011 - 06:07 PM

OK, to keep this topic going, I'm going to ask you this: Describe how you organize the story in your comics, or how you organize the comics themselves if there really isn't a story.I tend to have story arcs integrated into the main series, with the main series itself not really having any story. I just try to transition from one arc to another, with some non sequiturs in between.On the other note, I organize the topic in seasons, with the file name being "comics[season #]-[comic #].png," with the comic number resetting to 1 at the beginning of a new season. For example, the second comic of the fourth season would be "comics4-2.png."-- :ruru:

I tend to do much the same, although I usually plan out my stories in my head beforehand. After that, I change it to match what I think will be funnier and what I can do in my medium. For comic seasons, I do much the same as well. I switch to a new season when I feel like I want a fresh start, which means most of my PGSs will change.

#34 Offline Tavakai

Tavakai
  • Members
  • Kohrak-Kal Attacks!

• 27-October 07
  • 2,886 posts
  •  

Posted Dec 15 2011 - 11:28 PM

OK, to keep this topic going, I'm going to ask you this: Describe how you organize the story in your comics, or how you organize the comics themselves if there really isn't a story.I tend to have story arcs integrated into the main series, with the main series itself not really having any story. I just try to transition from one arc to another, with some non sequiturs in between.On the other note, I organize the topic in seasons, with the file name being "comics[season #]-[comic #].png," with the comic number resetting to 1 at the beginning of a new season. For example, the second comic of the fourth season would be "comics4-2.png."-- :ruru:

I tend to do much the same, although I usually plan out my stories in my head beforehand. After that, I change it to match what I think will be funnier and what I can do in my medium. For comic seasons, I do much the same as well. I switch to a new season when I feel like I want a fresh start, which means most of my PGSs will change.

To keep things organized, I run multiple series at the same time within my topic. I've got my plot-based series, and my comedy-based series. And then anything else I happen to make. Before this, I just rotated between storyline and guest star comics and did special/holiday comics when they came up.These days, I generally write out a script before actually starting my comic, so I know exactly where my idea's going to take me. This helps a lot; there have been times where I've changed things because they didn't seem to work out--which would have been annoying if I'd already started the comic.

button.png

#35 Offline Phyoohrii

Phyoohrii
  • Premier Member
  • Master of Fragmentation Rampant

• 07-July 07
  • 5,456 posts

Posted Dec 22 2011 - 12:24 AM

When I used to do comics regularly, I started out by using MS Paint and used Rayg 2.0 sprites, with sometimes making gradient backgrounds with MS Word of all programs, haha. Then I got Photoshop and used that mostly. Most recently I used Photoshop with vector stuff I made in Illustrator. That style I would like to do more with.Posted Image

crickety man.....

good nigh t

lonk

#36 Offline Waffles

Waffles
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • Nuhvok-Kal Collapsed

• 19-August 08
  • 4,384 posts
  •  

Posted Dec 22 2011 - 09:09 PM

When I made them, I used MSPaint and GIMP.Those were not the times.

I AM A HAPPY CHICKEN

#37 Offline Coob

Coob
  • Members
  • Stalwart Defender

• 28-April 08
  • 424 posts
  •  

Posted Dec 29 2011 - 06:19 AM

Slowly.Joking aside, after I've imagined the script, I model and render the backgrounds in Cinema 4D, paste them onto a panel sheet in Fireworks, add sprites with custom poses, add text, speech bubbles and done!

#38 Offline Nav3taX

Nav3taX
  • Members
  • Submerged!

• 10-January 09
  • 1,112 posts
  •  

Posted Dec 29 2011 - 06:39 AM

I previously used a mix of GIMP, MSpaint and Paint.net, now I use MSPaint and Photoshop, soon, once i get the hang of it, Ill only use photoshop :P but that may take awile and a lot of patience, I am part of a MAS, "what just happend" and I'm in the process of making materiel for my own series which might, might be a MAS, but it will most likely be big though :P
Limbo is switching servers! Please calm you Lava producing farms... Christ.

"This will be my finest hour!" - Fulgrim The Phoenician
"There is a fine line between not listening and not caring. I like to think I walk that line every day of my life" - Leonard Church
"Pinkie Pie Style" - Pinkie Pie
"Oh I know what the Ladies like" - Sgt. Avery Johnson
"I'm A madman with a box! Without a box!" - The Doctor

#39 Offline The Dandy Automaton

The Dandy Automaton
  • Premier Member
  • FFM Bionicle Winner

• 26-March 07
  • 8,008 posts

Posted Dec 29 2011 - 07:31 AM

Rayg Sprite Maker and MS Paint.I am a very basic man.

shadowofthisredrock.png

Chapter four - Desire

Coming soon!

Short Stories: The Commute ~ Rasinov ~ In Your Absence ~ Hunter's Game ~ Suchia (Coming soon)

Epics: The Best Kept Secrets (Chapter 27: The Shadow Walker coming soon) ~ The Shadow of this Red Rock

#40 Offline shardshadow198

shardshadow198
  • New Members
  • Inhabitant

• 15-October 10
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted Jan 22 2012 - 11:19 PM

I'm trying to start a comic but mostly i hand draw them with no colors...and now trying to draw them on paint. plus i need a name for it.
There is no cheese....My Sidekick ate it.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users