How Do You Make Your Comics?

P~M

If you are a comic maker, describe how you make your comics, be they in MS Paint, GIMP, paper, dailies, weeklies, monthlies, MAS's, continuity-based, et cetera.I use MS Paint, and I usually make one every week or so.--:ruru:

banner.jpg

I haven't posted any comics on BZP, but whatever comics I make are hand-drawn, then possibly computer-colored in Photoshop.When working with sprites (not for comics, though) I use Paint.NET with some useful plug-ins.

Edited by Katuko

I used to do comics back in 2008. I used Paint for them. It's hard to post comics on here since you can't post every time you have a new comic up and you have to rely on others to make posts to keep it alive.

Yes you can. You're allowed to double/triple/quadruple (etc.) post if each post is announcing a new comic.

Majhost sucks

I started out in Paint, mastered it, then moved over to Gimp. I also have begun to draw things in PowerPoint (such as my current banner). Now and then I still do Paint comics (which actually can be done really well--go take a look at some of Gerlicky's work, besides SpoofQuest! which is intentionally generic) just for nostalgia.

button.png

I don't post any comics I do on BZP, but I usually paint or draw them [Not MS Paint, if you know what I mean. ;-)].

On the day the wall came down / They threw the locks onto the ground

And with glasses high / We raised a cry / For freedom had arrived

On the day the wall came down / The ship of fools had finally run aground

Promises lit up the night / Like paper doves in flight

I dreamed you had left my side / No warmth, not even pride remained

And even though you needed me / It was clear that I could not do a thing for you

Now life devalues day by day / As friends and neighbors turn away

And there's a change that even with regret / Cannot be undone

Now frontiers shift like desert sands / While nations wash their bloodied hands

Of loyalty, of history / In shades of grey

I woke to the sound of drums / The music played, the morning sun streamed in

I turned and I looked at you / And all but the bitter residues slipped away

slipped away...

I'm thinking, once I finish up a few more chapters of Adventures in the LegoVerse, I'll try my hand at a comic using the same elements as that story. Photography!As for making them, I use a blend of GIPM and Paint.net now. The former is an old favourite, and it's a lot easier to use more putting things together, in my opinion. On the other hand, Paint.Net is a bit annoying with that stuff, but it's very useful for editing pictures.I used to - a VERY long time ago - make comics using the old MSPaint and I'd have to say with some pride that I was fairly detailed. I made furniture to use in the backgrounds, and even would carefully design backgrounds to be very detailed. Of course, on the other hand I depended a lot on Sprites for the characters. I actually think it would be fun to try my hand at this again.

69 Days to a Better Body

Days left: 45 | Days completed: 24 | Yesterday: Shoulder's & Glutes - Today's: Triceps - Tomorrow's: Biceps

Miles Completed: 123(+2 Miles) | Today's Time: 1H

8330_s.gif

Exercise time was too bloody hard to fix...forgot to track a few days...sorry.

MOCs: Sah n Dibum - Vehicles Part 1 - Mouldi Pheats - Daleks

Stories: Adventures in the LegoVerse

Interesting Stuff: Shows You're Watching

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

OK, to keep this topic going, I'm going to ask you this: Describe how you organize the story in your comics, or how you organize the comics themselves if there really isn't a story.I tend to have story arcs integrated into the main series, with the main series itself not really having any story. I just try to transition from one arc to another, with some non sequiturs in between.On the other note, I organize the topic in seasons, with the file name being "comics[season #]-[comic #].png," with the comic number resetting to 1 at the beginning of a new season. For example, the second comic of the fourth season would be "comics4-2.png."--:ruru:

banner.jpg

For my comic series Bionicle Manga, I use a ruler to keep the lines nice and neat, do a "rough draft" of the page, flesh out everything, and then I go back with a lead pencil and trace over what I've drawn so it looks professional like. I then take a picture with my camera, upload it to Kodak easyshare software, make any changes if neccisary, save it, upload it to brickshelf, and then I link it to BZpower. BM is based off the early years of Bionicle, so it follows the canon pretty closely.

A Toa eh? What kind of Toa am I?

Ever wanted to read a manga styled retelling of the early years of Bionicle? Here ya go!

http://www.bzpower.c...?showtopic=1384

Two methods for me:1) I draw up outlines of the frames and make it all on one sheet of paper, or2) I sketch and color independent frames, then I paste them together afterwards in Photoshop.Like this. (Note: Not even the real WIP. I just slapped some sketches together, though they are supposed to become a comic in the end.)

@Ballom: He didn't assume that; he started his post with "If you are a comic maker".Well, I don't really make comics for BZP anymore, but when I did I used Paint, GIMP, and Fireworks. Paint was assembling sprites; Fireworks was arranging everything, adding text, and putting in some effects; and GIMP was for other effects and stuff I used brushes for.There was also a comic that I hand-drew (not particularly pleasant-looking), and I used Photoshop and a tablet for that.When I draw comics in real life, I just use a regular pencil and paper; I'm not terribly advanced. =PThat's always fun to do... I should draw comics more often.

Edited by Ziko

@Ballom: He didn't assume that; he started his post with "If you are a comic maker".

Oops, I mainly skimmed the OP, and apparently missed that key "If." My apologies, Piraka~Mistika.~B~
It's OK. I myself worried that people might accuse me of assuming that when I created the topic. ;)As a new discussion point, for those of you that use that use a computer program when/if you make comics, what program(s) do you use and what features do they have that you enjoy/use?--:ruru:

banner.jpg

OK, to keep this topic going, I'm going to ask you this: Describe how you organize the story in your comics, or how you organize the comics themselves if there really isn't a story.I tend to have story arcs integrated into the main series, with the main series itself not really having any story. I just try to transition from one arc to another, with some non sequiturs in between.On the other note, I organize the topic in seasons, with the file name being "comics[season #]-[comic #].png," with the comic number resetting to 1 at the beginning of a new season. For example, the second comic of the fourth season would be "comics4-2.png."-- :ruru:

I tend to do much the same, although I usually plan out my stories in my head beforehand. After that, I change it to match what I think will be funnier and what I can do in my medium. For comic seasons, I do much the same as well. I switch to a new season when I feel like I want a fresh start, which means most of my PGSs will change.

OK, to keep this topic going, I'm going to ask you this: Describe how you organize the story in your comics, or how you organize the comics themselves if there really isn't a story.I tend to have story arcs integrated into the main series, with the main series itself not really having any story. I just try to transition from one arc to another, with some non sequiturs in between.On the other note, I organize the topic in seasons, with the file name being "comics[season #]-[comic #].png," with the comic number resetting to 1 at the beginning of a new season. For example, the second comic of the fourth season would be "comics4-2.png."-- :ruru:

I tend to do much the same, although I usually plan out my stories in my head beforehand. After that, I change it to match what I think will be funnier and what I can do in my medium. For comic seasons, I do much the same as well. I switch to a new season when I feel like I want a fresh start, which means most of my PGSs will change.
To keep things organized, I run multiple series at the same time within my topic. I've got my plot-based series, and my comedy-based series. And then anything else I happen to make. Before this, I just rotated between storyline and guest star comics and did special/holiday comics when they came up.These days, I generally write out a script before actually starting my comic, so I know exactly where my idea's going to take me. This helps a lot; there have been times where I've changed things because they didn't seem to work out--which would have been annoying if I'd already started the comic.

button.png

When I used to do comics regularly, I started out by using MS Paint and used Rayg 2.0 sprites, with sometimes making gradient backgrounds with MS Word of all programs, haha. Then I got Photoshop and used that mostly. Most recently I used Photoshop with vector stuff I made in Illustrator. That style I would like to do more with.signoff.png

crickety man.....

good nigh t

lonk

I previously used a mix of GIMP, MSpaint and Paint.net, now I use MSPaint and Photoshop, soon, once i get the hang of it, Ill only use photoshop :P but that may take awile and a lot of patience, I am part of a MAS, "what just happend" and I'm in the process of making materiel for my own series which might, might be a MAS, but it will most likely be big though :P

Limbo is switching servers! Please calm you Lava producing farms... Christ.

"This will be my finest hour!" - Fulgrim The Phoenician

"There is a fine line between not listening and not caring. I like to think I walk that line every day of my life" - Leonard Church

"Pinkie Pie Style" - Pinkie Pie

"Oh I know what the Ladies like" - Sgt. Avery Johnson

"I'm A madman with a box! Without a box!" - The Doctor

• 4 weeks later...