• Create Account

Welcome to BZPower!

Hi there, while we hope you enjoy browsing through the site, there's a lot more you can do if you register. Some perks of joining include:
  • Create your own topics, participate in existing discussions, and vote in polls
  • Show off your creations, stories, art, music, and movies
  • Enter contests to win free LEGO sets and other prizes
  • Participate in raffles to win LEGO prizes
  • Organize with other members to attend or send your MOCs to LEGO fan events all over the world
  • Much, much more!
Enjoy your visit!

Posted Image

Photo

How Do You Make Your Comics?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
64 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Piraka~Mistika

Piraka~Mistika
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Outstanding BZP Citizens
  • Scavenger Va

• 08-June 09
  • 657 posts
  •   Outstanding BZPower Citizen

Posted Nov 06 2011 - 03:05 PM

If you are a comic maker, describe how you make your comics, be they in MS Paint, GIMP, paper, dailies, weeklies, monthlies, MAS's, continuity-based, et cetera.I use MS Paint, and I usually make one every week or so.--:ruru:

3rqe3v0.jpg

/ Tahu / Kopaka / Onua / Lewa / Pohatu / Gali /

\ Fire \ Ice \ Earth \ Jungle \ Stone \ Water \

/ Lord of Skull Spiders /

#2 Offline Katuko

Katuko
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • Mask of Light Unveiled

• 21-March 05
  • 5,284 posts
  •  

Posted Nov 06 2011 - 03:18 PM

I haven't posted any comics on BZP, but whatever comics I make are hand-drawn, then possibly computer-colored in Photoshop.When working with sprites (not for comics, though) I use Paint.NET with some useful plug-ins.

Edited by Katuko, Nov 06 2011 - 03:19 PM.

#3 Offline Phauxx Lightning

Phauxx Lightning
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • A Seventh Toa

• 23-September 07
  • 6,363 posts
  •  

Posted Nov 06 2011 - 03:28 PM

I haven't posted any on here, nor will I, but I do draw my own BIONICLE comics in my spare time.
Posted Image

#4 Offline -Blank-

-Blank-
  • Members
  • Flying Force!

• 08-August 06
  • 2,425 posts
  •  

Posted Nov 06 2011 - 04:01 PM

I used to do comics back in 2008. I used Paint for them. It's hard to post comics on here since you can't post every time you have a new comic up and you have to rely on others to make posts to keep it alive.

#5 Offline GAY AS HECK

GAY AS HECK
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • Emerging Ice Warrior

• 18-August 04
  • 1,866 posts
  •  

Posted Nov 06 2011 - 04:10 PM

with my mad photoshoop skillz

G A Y   A S   H E C K

#6 Offline iPenguin

iPenguin
  • Members
  • Tahnok-Kal Attacks!

• 13-April 06
  • 3,252 posts
  •  

Posted Nov 06 2011 - 04:18 PM

I used to do comics back in 2008. I used Paint for them. It's hard to post comics on here since you can't post every time you have a new comic up and you have to rely on others to make posts to keep it alive.

Yes you can. You're allowed to double/triple/quadruple (etc.) post if each post is announcing a new comic.

Majhost sucks

#7 Offline Ehksidian

Ehksidian
  • Premier Member
  • Flying Force!

• 11-November 08
  • 2,403 posts

Posted Nov 06 2011 - 04:36 PM

Well, I usually use GIMP/MSpaint, but I prefer GIMP currently. I'm not that good of a GIMPer, working on my skills as of now.

nG41b2u.gif7f12dd01955fb061046287bd68a97ab1.pngyMgZ3Uk.gif

Steam name: Ehksidian

#8 Offline Dralcax

Dralcax
  • Members
  • Emerging Flying Force

• 05-September 10
  • 2,299 posts
  •  

Posted Nov 06 2011 - 04:41 PM

I used to do sprites in GIMP with absolutely no regularity, but I'm planning hand-drawn, Gimp-colored biweeklies.

aouROFb.png

#9 Offline Piraka~Mistika

Piraka~Mistika
  • Premier Member
  • Scavenger Va

• 08-June 09
  • 657 posts

Posted Nov 06 2011 - 04:52 PM

My main problem with GIMP is the lack of transparent selection.Also, effects can be weird.--:ruru:

3rqe3v0.jpg

#10 Offline Tavakai

Tavakai
  • Members
  • Kohrak-Kal Attacks!

• 27-October 07
  • 2,886 posts
  •  

Posted Nov 06 2011 - 07:40 PM

I started out in Paint, mastered it, then moved over to Gimp. I also have begun to draw things in PowerPoint (such as my current banner). Now and then I still do Paint comics (which actually can be done really well--go take a look at some of Gerlicky's work, besides SpoofQuest! which is intentionally generic) just for nostalgia.

button.png

#11 Offline Lime Paradox

Lime Paradox
  • Members
  • Ice Warrior Defeated

• 10-July 07
  • 2,914 posts
  •  

Posted Nov 06 2011 - 09:17 PM

with my mad photoshoop skillz

:uh:...Except my photoshoop skillz are not actually all that mad. And also I use Paint for a lot of things. :mellow:

Edited by Lime Paradox, Nov 06 2011 - 09:18 PM.

RksnKgM.jpg

#12 Offline Fighty

Fighty
  • Members
  • Defender of Mata Nui

• 11-February 07
  • 2,175 posts
  •  

Posted Nov 06 2011 - 09:29 PM

Paint + GIMP.

When you come to a fork in the road, take it. - Yogi Berra

1qG95jS.png

#13 Offline BioCry

BioCry
  • Members
  • Swarm Scavenger

• 05-May 10
  • 692 posts
  •  

Posted Nov 06 2011 - 09:48 PM

I use GIMP for most of the comic putting-together and MSPaint for sprite resizing. I am also planning for some hand drawn comics. ;)-:b::c::2::1:

:I

#14 Offline Akuna Toa of Sonics

Akuna Toa of Sonics
  • Members
  • Nuhvok-Kal Attacks!

• 14-June 08
  • 3,002 posts
  •  

Posted Nov 06 2011 - 10:53 PM

I do most of it in MS Paint, then add some effects in Gimp.

Laughing_Man_Icon_by_CoyoteTracks.gif

Does anyone want to play the Master Chief Collection with me? I'm trying to get a team going for ranked. PM for GT.

#15 Offline Phovos

Phovos
  • Members
  • Nuhvok-Kal Collapsed

• 07-September 07
  • 4,305 posts
  •  

Posted Nov 07 2011 - 04:43 AM

The few times I attempted a comic, I used Paint. Most comics I do though are done by hand and aren't coloured.

#16 Offline GAY AS HECK

GAY AS HECK
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • Emerging Ice Warrior

• 18-August 04
  • 1,866 posts
  •  

Posted Nov 07 2011 - 02:26 PM

Like a boss.

G A Y   A S   H E C K

#17 Offline Piraka~Mistika

Piraka~Mistika
  • Premier Member
  • Scavenger Va

• 08-June 09
  • 657 posts

Posted Nov 07 2011 - 02:55 PM

Like a boss.

...Eh?--:ruru:

3rqe3v0.jpg

#18 Offline King Joe

King Joe
  • Members
  • Encountering Protodermis

• 26-January 11
  • 882 posts
  •  

Posted Nov 07 2011 - 03:04 PM

I use Paint.net with some plugins I just found. No regularity at all, besides keeping up my thread should it start to die. I just make comics when I want to. However, I usually will have a script of sorts in my head. I could never figure out GIMP.

#19 Offline Peach 00

Peach 00
  • Banned Members
  • Submerged!

• 31-August 09
  • 1,195 posts
  •  

Posted Nov 07 2011 - 10:48 PM

I don't post any comics I do on BZP, but I usually paint or draw them [Not MS Paint, if you know what I mean. ;-)].
On the day the wall came down / They threw the locks onto the ground
And with glasses high / We raised a cry / For freedom had arrived

On the day the wall came down / The ship of fools had finally run aground
Promises lit up the night / Like paper doves in flight

I dreamed you had left my side / No warmth, not even pride remained
And even though you needed me / It was clear that I could not do a thing for you

Now life devalues day by day / As friends and neighbors turn away
And there's a change that even with regret / Cannot be undone

Now frontiers shift like desert sands / While nations wash their bloodied hands
Of loyalty, of history / In shades of grey

I woke to the sound of drums / The music played, the morning sun streamed in
I turned and I looked at you / And all but the bitter residues slipped away

slipped away...

#20 Offline Piraka~Mistika

Piraka~Mistika
  • Premier Member
  • Scavenger Va

• 08-June 09
  • 657 posts

Posted Nov 09 2011 - 12:39 PM

I rely on MS Paint, which means that Macs are not very good for comic making (at least for me). However, there is always Paintbrush or VMWare Fusion.--:ruru:

3rqe3v0.jpg

#21 Offline Taka Nuvia

Taka Nuvia
  • Premier Member
  • Mask of Time Discovered

• 11-October 07
  • 4,297 posts

Posted Nov 09 2011 - 01:56 PM

usually they're all hand-drawn, -inked, -coloured and even -lettered. ^_^

New art topic: Portrait of a Protector

whonnedsalifeanyway.jpg

I had no idea what I was talking about when I drew this back in 2012. No. Idea.

#22 Offline Malevolence

Malevolence
  • Banned Members
  • Tohunga

• 21-October 11
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted Nov 09 2011 - 02:32 PM

I'm thinking, once I finish up a few more chapters of Adventures in the LegoVerse, I'll try my hand at a comic using the same elements as that story. Photography!As for making them, I use a blend of GIPM and Paint.net now. The former is an old favourite, and it's a lot easier to use more putting things together, in my opinion. On the other hand, Paint.Net is a bit annoying with that stuff, but it's very useful for editing pictures.I used to - a VERY long time ago - make comics using the old MSPaint and I'd have to say with some pride that I was fairly detailed. I made furniture to use in the backgrounds, and even would carefully design backgrounds to be very detailed. Of course, on the other hand I depended a lot on Sprites for the characters. I actually think it would be fun to try my hand at this again.

69 Days to a Better Body
Days left: 45 | Days completed: 24 | Yesterday: Shoulder's & Glutes - Today's: Triceps - Tomorrow's: Biceps

Miles Completed: 123(+2 Miles) | Today's Time: 1H

Posted Image

Exercise time was too bloody hard to fix...forgot to track a few days...sorry.

MOCs: Sah n Dibum - Vehicles Part 1 - Mouldi Pheats - Daleks
Stories: Adventures in the LegoVerse

Interesting Stuff: Shows You're Watching

#23 Offline Kung Fu Burnout

Kung Fu Burnout
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • Exo-Armored Toa

• 10-December 09
  • 759 posts
  •  

Posted Nov 17 2011 - 08:18 PM

I use MSpaint and GIMP.

punchsig.jpg

#24 Offline Piraka~Mistika

Piraka~Mistika
  • Premier Member
  • Scavenger Va

• 08-June 09
  • 657 posts

Posted Dec 01 2011 - 04:45 PM

OK, to keep this topic going, I'm going to ask you this: Describe how you organize the story in your comics, or how you organize the comics themselves if there really isn't a story.I tend to have story arcs integrated into the main series, with the main series itself not really having any story. I just try to transition from one arc to another, with some non sequiturs in between.On the other note, I organize the topic in seasons, with the file name being "comics[season #]-[comic #].png," with the comic number resetting to 1 at the beginning of a new season. For example, the second comic of the fourth season would be "comics4-2.png."--:ruru:

3rqe3v0.jpg

#25 Offline P962

P962
  • Members
  • Toa

• 21-October 11
  • 166 posts
  •  

Posted Dec 01 2011 - 04:54 PM

For my comic series Bionicle Manga, I use a ruler to keep the lines nice and neat, do a "rough draft" of the page, flesh out everything, and then I go back with a lead pencil and trace over what I've drawn so it looks professional like. I then take a picture with my camera, upload it to Kodak easyshare software, make any changes if neccisary, save it, upload it to brickshelf, and then I link it to BZpower. BM is based off the early years of Bionicle, so it follows the canon pretty closely.
A Toa eh? What kind of Toa am I?

Ever wanted to read a manga styled retelling of the early years of Bionicle? Here ya go!
http://www.bzpower.c...?showtopic=1384

#26 Offline Katuko

Katuko
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • Mask of Light Unveiled

• 21-March 05
  • 5,284 posts
  •  

Posted Dec 01 2011 - 06:15 PM

Two methods for me:1) I draw up outlines of the frames and make it all on one sheet of paper, or2) I sketch and color independent frames, then I paste them together afterwards in Photoshop.Like this. (Note: Not even the real WIP. I just slapped some sketches together, though they are supposed to become a comic in the end.)

#27 Offline Makuta of Comedy

Makuta of Comedy
  • Members
  • Exo-Armored Toa

• 13-October 08
  • 764 posts
  •  

Posted Dec 03 2011 - 10:22 PM

I use MS Paint to hold the comics and sprites themselves, I use Gimp and Paint.net to alter/edit/rotate the sprites and backgrounds themselves because it is impossible in MS Paint.

If only you had known what horrible retribution your comment would rain down upon you.

#28 Offline Ballom

Ballom
  • Premier Member
  • Visorak Horde Infiltrating

• 13-June 06
  • 10,129 posts

Posted Dec 05 2011 - 08:53 PM

Shouldn't assume everyone makes comics. But, if I did, I'd most likely draw them myself, as opposed to using sprite abominations that are terribly worn-out.~B~

#29 Offline Ziko

Ziko
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Retired Staff
  • Stone Champion Defeated

• 04-October 07
  • 2,772 posts
  •   Retired Staff

Posted Dec 05 2011 - 08:58 PM

@Ballom: He didn't assume that; he started his post with "If you are a comic maker".Well, I don't really make comics for BZP anymore, but when I did I used Paint, GIMP, and Fireworks. Paint was assembling sprites; Fireworks was arranging everything, adding text, and putting in some effects; and GIMP was for other effects and stuff I used brushes for.There was also a comic that I hand-drew (not particularly pleasant-looking), and I used Photoshop and a tablet for that.When I draw comics in real life, I just use a regular pencil and paper; I'm not terribly advanced. =PThat's always fun to do... I should draw comics more often.

Edited by Ziko, Dec 05 2011 - 09:02 PM.

#30 Offline Ballom

Ballom
  • Premier Member
  • Visorak Horde Infiltrating

• 13-June 06
  • 10,129 posts

Posted Dec 06 2011 - 12:13 AM

@Ballom: He didn't assume that; he started his post with "If you are a comic maker".

Oops, I mainly skimmed the OP, and apparently missed that key "If." My apologies, Piraka~Mistika.~B~

#31 Offline Piraka~Mistika

Piraka~Mistika
  • Premier Member
  • Scavenger Va

• 08-June 09
  • 657 posts

Posted Dec 07 2011 - 04:36 PM

@Ballom: He didn't assume that; he started his post with "If you are a comic maker".

Oops, I mainly skimmed the OP, and apparently missed that key "If." My apologies, Piraka~Mistika.~B~

It's OK. I myself worried that people might accuse me of assuming that when I created the topic. ;)As a new discussion point, for those of you that use that use a computer program when/if you make comics, what program(s) do you use and what features do they have that you enjoy/use?--:ruru:

3rqe3v0.jpg

#32 Offline Justax-Kal

Justax-Kal
  • Members
  • Nuva Team Assembled

• 20-April 08
  • 2,572 posts
  •  

Posted Dec 10 2011 - 10:54 PM

Paint for the sprite stuff, GIMP and Photoshop for the real stuff.J-K out.

chimkalsig.png
Sort of retired

#33 Offline King Joe

King Joe
  • Members
  • Encountering Protodermis

• 26-January 11
  • 882 posts
  •  

Posted Dec 14 2011 - 06:07 PM

OK, to keep this topic going, I'm going to ask you this: Describe how you organize the story in your comics, or how you organize the comics themselves if there really isn't a story.I tend to have story arcs integrated into the main series, with the main series itself not really having any story. I just try to transition from one arc to another, with some non sequiturs in between.On the other note, I organize the topic in seasons, with the file name being "comics[season #]-[comic #].png," with the comic number resetting to 1 at the beginning of a new season. For example, the second comic of the fourth season would be "comics4-2.png."-- :ruru:

I tend to do much the same, although I usually plan out my stories in my head beforehand. After that, I change it to match what I think will be funnier and what I can do in my medium. For comic seasons, I do much the same as well. I switch to a new season when I feel like I want a fresh start, which means most of my PGSs will change.

#34 Offline Tavakai

Tavakai
  • Members
  • Kohrak-Kal Attacks!

• 27-October 07
  • 2,886 posts
  •  

Posted Dec 15 2011 - 11:28 PM

OK, to keep this topic going, I'm going to ask you this: Describe how you organize the story in your comics, or how you organize the comics themselves if there really isn't a story.I tend to have story arcs integrated into the main series, with the main series itself not really having any story. I just try to transition from one arc to another, with some non sequiturs in between.On the other note, I organize the topic in seasons, with the file name being "comics[season #]-[comic #].png," with the comic number resetting to 1 at the beginning of a new season. For example, the second comic of the fourth season would be "comics4-2.png."-- :ruru:

I tend to do much the same, although I usually plan out my stories in my head beforehand. After that, I change it to match what I think will be funnier and what I can do in my medium. For comic seasons, I do much the same as well. I switch to a new season when I feel like I want a fresh start, which means most of my PGSs will change.

To keep things organized, I run multiple series at the same time within my topic. I've got my plot-based series, and my comedy-based series. And then anything else I happen to make. Before this, I just rotated between storyline and guest star comics and did special/holiday comics when they came up.These days, I generally write out a script before actually starting my comic, so I know exactly where my idea's going to take me. This helps a lot; there have been times where I've changed things because they didn't seem to work out--which would have been annoying if I'd already started the comic.

button.png

#35 Offline Phyoohrii

Phyoohrii
  • Premier Member
  • Master of Fragmentation Rampant

• 07-July 07
  • 5,467 posts

Posted Dec 22 2011 - 12:24 AM

When I used to do comics regularly, I started out by using MS Paint and used Rayg 2.0 sprites, with sometimes making gradient backgrounds with MS Word of all programs, haha. Then I got Photoshop and used that mostly. Most recently I used Photoshop with vector stuff I made in Illustrator. That style I would like to do more with.Posted Image

crickety man.....

good nigh t

lonk

#36 Offline Waffles

Waffles
  • Banned Members
  • Nuhvok-Kal Collapsed

• 19-August 08
  • 4,384 posts
  •  

Posted Dec 22 2011 - 09:09 PM

When I made them, I used MSPaint and GIMP.Those were not the times.

#37 Offline Coob

Coob
  • Members
  • Stalwart Defender

• 28-April 08
  • 424 posts
  •  

Posted Dec 29 2011 - 06:19 AM

Slowly.Joking aside, after I've imagined the script, I model and render the backgrounds in Cinema 4D, paste them onto a panel sheet in Fireworks, add sprites with custom poses, add text, speech bubbles and done!

#38 Offline Nav3taX

Nav3taX
  • Members
  • Submerged!

• 10-January 09
  • 1,112 posts
  •  

Posted Dec 29 2011 - 06:39 AM

I previously used a mix of GIMP, MSpaint and Paint.net, now I use MSPaint and Photoshop, soon, once i get the hang of it, Ill only use photoshop :P but that may take awile and a lot of patience, I am part of a MAS, "what just happend" and I'm in the process of making materiel for my own series which might, might be a MAS, but it will most likely be big though :P
Limbo is switching servers! Please calm you Lava producing farms... Christ.

"This will be my finest hour!" - Fulgrim The Phoenician
"There is a fine line between not listening and not caring. I like to think I walk that line every day of my life" - Leonard Church
"Pinkie Pie Style" - Pinkie Pie
"Oh I know what the Ladies like" - Sgt. Avery Johnson
"I'm A madman with a box! Without a box!" - The Doctor

#39 Offline The Present Automaton

The Present Automaton
  • Premier Member
  • FFM Bionicle Winner

• 26-March 07
  • 8,122 posts

Posted Dec 29 2011 - 07:31 AM

Rayg Sprite Maker and MS Paint.I am a very basic man.

LzcD9OS.png

I wrote stories once. They were okay.

#40 Offline shardshadow198

shardshadow198
  • New Members
  • Inhabitant

• 15-October 10
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted Jan 22 2012 - 11:19 PM

I'm trying to start a comic but mostly i hand draw them with no colors...and now trying to draw them on paint. plus i need a name for it.
There is no cheese....My Sidekick ate it.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users