The Great Fly - Nui Rama Revamp

joev14

"Nui-Rama, buzzflying Rahi! Hundred-eye, allseeing, fright and fury! Makuta-Madness makes even worse! Wings mash, pincers grab! No chance for Matoran alone, only Toa bold enough to stand against it, yet cunning Rama sneak-swoop-smash and fly out of reach!"

— Tamaru, Mata Nui Online Game

With the new 2015 sets only days from being out (or already in some of our homes, like mine ;)), I've been wanting to work on a project I've thought of doing for awhile now. Images link to larger ones on Brickshelf. :) Please upvote and comment if you like it!

img_0653edit.jpg

Front

img_0652edit.jpg

Back

img_0651edit.jpg

Side

img_0655edit.jpg

Top Angle

img_0656edit.jpg

Top (No Stand)

img_0657edit.jpg

Bottom (No Stand)

img_0663edit.jpg

New and Old Comparison

img_0659edit.jpg

Nui Rama vs. Lewa!

img_0661edit.jpg

The Battle Continues!

img_0662edit.jpg

The Great Fly vs. The Master of Jungle!

The Tarakava, Nui Jaga, and Manas Revamps are all in the works as of this topic's posting. You'll be seeing them soon!

Edited by joev14
  • Upvote 17

I really like the personality of the model, if that makes sense; it's unique and yet true to the original. I love the small tweaks to the angles and positioning of the face elements, though I'm not entirely sold on the stinger in front.

Edited by -Windrider-
  • Upvote 2

That is pretty nice. I'd go so far as to call it what the Nui-Rama would have been if it were released in the Inika-build age.

• Upvote 1

:r: :e: :g: :i: :t: :n: :u: :i:

Elemental Rahi in Gen2, anyone? A write-up for an initial video for a G2 plot

I really wish everyone would stop trying to play join the dots with Gen 1 and Gen 2 though,it seems there's a couple new threads everyday and often they're duplicates of already existing conversations! Or simply parallel them with a slightly new 'twist'! Gen 2 is NEW, it is NOT Gen 1 and it is NOT a continuation. Outside of the characters we already have I personally don't want to see ANY old characters return. I think it will cheapen the whole experience to those of us familiar with the original line...

That is pretty ###### nice. I'd go so far as to call it what the Nui-Rama would have been if it were released in the Inika-build age.

I was actually thinking the same thing. It's kind of a shame that we really didn't get anymore large rahi past the two we received in 2003 (Visorak aren't large rahi). But yeah, I guess my only negative thing to say about it is the size compared to Okoto Lewa...it's not big enough compared to the master. It's still large enough to pose a threat, but I personally would've tried to scale it to the new size. And that's a very minor gripe; very nice revamp indeed!

evergrey_l01.gif

Other great bands:

Iron Maiden    Journey    Mercenary    The Unguided    Trivium

Boston    Stratovarius    Symphony X    Epica

That is pretty ###### nice. I'd go so far as to call it what the Nui-Rama would have been if it were released in the Inika-build age.

I was actually thinking the same thing. It's kind of a shame that we really didn't get anymore large rahi past the two we received in 2003 (Visorak aren't large rahi). But yeah, I guess my only negative thing to say about it is the size compared to Okoto Lewa...it's not big enough compared to the master. It's still large enough to pose a threat, but I personally would've tried to scale it to the new size. And that's a very minor gripe; very nice revamp indeed!

Oh, I never intended to scale it to Gen 2 Bionicle. I just threw in the pics with Gen 2 Lewa to make you guys jelly. :P

• Upvote 2

Oh, I never intended to scale it to Gen 2 Bionicle. I just threw in the pics with Gen 2 Lewa to make you guys jelly. :P

Well...that works too haha :P I can't deny I'd probably do that too lol.  :evil:

evergrey_l01.gif

Other great bands:

Iron Maiden    Journey    Mercenary    The Unguided    Trivium

Boston    Stratovarius    Symphony X    Epica

This is awesome! I love how articulated it is. The only things I would try are adding another pair of wings and removing the front stinger/proboscis. Also, making all ball and socket joints uniform in color (but you could always put green bulbs in for black ones).  

Edited by Fsnorglepuff

15037057692_2fb1ce338a_t.jpg     15034366641_d827682ab5_m.jpg     15037424595_cf284dac70_t.jpg

Toa Gali Nuva

Not sure how I managed to miss this till now but am glad to have found it now! This is a really nice redesign and I think a decent improvement over the original. I believe the main reason for this is that you gave yourself a lot more freedom to build by removing the function but it was definitely worth it. The whole shape is really close to the originals but the improvements you made to the tail are just great. I have to agree with Fsnorglepuff (lol) on the proboscis though, it just looks a bit too much like a funny nose to me! Plus of course the original didn't have it and I'm not a big fan of fundamental changes in redesigns...

Am surprised that evergrey_toa thinks this Rahi is too small to fight 2015 Lewa as I thought the complete opposite when I saw those pictures. Lewa Mata looks much bulkier and stronger due to his larger pieces and especially mask. Although Okoto Lewa IS bigger it's pretty negligible an I think if anything he looks more vulnerable than the original so the scaling works fine for me. Besides I'm pretty sure a bug that big would give any Toa a pretty bad day. New or old!

Check out my Bionicle store on Bricklink here!

> > > Bionic Bricks < < <

Let me know if you can help me find these last few collectibles!

Masks%20footer4_zpspqs4myrt.png

Also looking for WILD KRAATA and a VMKK Yo!!!

Not sure how I managed to miss this till now but am glad to have found it now! This is a really nice redesign and I think a decent improvement over the original. I believe the main reason for this is that you gave yourself a lot more freedom to build by removing the function but it was definitely worth it. The whole shape is really close to the originals but the improvements you made to the tail are just great. I have to agree with Fsnorglepuff (lol) on the proboscis though, it just looks a bit too much like a funny nose to me! Plus of course the original didn't have it and I'm not a big fan of fundamental changes in redesigns...

Am surprised that evergrey_toa thinks this Rahi is too small to fight 2015 Lewa as I thought the complete opposite when I saw those pictures. Lewa Mata looks much bulkier and stronger due to his larger pieces and especially mask. Although Okoto Lewa IS bigger it's pretty negligible an I think if anything he looks more vulnerable than the original so the scaling works fine for me. Besides I'm pretty sure a bug that big would give any Toa a pretty bad day. New or old!

Without the proboscis the model looks rather lacking on the face. I also feel like it looks a bit like a combination of the orange and green Nui-Rama designs. I can post pictures without it, just so you guys can see what I mean.

I'd certainly be interested in seeing it that way if you find yourself with time to take a few shots at some point :) And don't compare it to the Nui Kopen, your model is on a whole different level!

Check out my Bionicle store on Bricklink here!

> > > Bionic Bricks < < <

Let me know if you can help me find these last few collectibles!

Masks%20footer4_zpspqs4myrt.png

Also looking for WILD KRAATA and a VMKK Yo!!!

I'd certainly be interested in seeing it that way if you find yourself with time to take a few shots at some point :) And don't compare it to the Nui Kopen, your model is on a whole different level!

img_0712edit.jpg

Here you go. Honestly, I feel like without the proboscis the face is rather lacking. Also, I wasn't necessarily comparing it to a Nui-Kopen, merely just saying it's got a combination of the face design of both Nui Rama (The proboscis of the orange one, and the lower jaw of the green one). I did the same thing with my Tarakava, giving it a lower jaw like the green tarakava, and the upper head of the blue one.

Edited by joev14

• 2 weeks later...

Since it was brought up, have you thought about making a Nui-Kopen and seeing how the two compares?

"A stranger will always be a stranger unless you give them a chance."

:m_p: :r: :m_o: :w: :l:    :n: :i: :g: :h: :t: :w: :m_o: :l: :f:

|premierball.png| <- My Pokémon | BZPRPG Characters: Po-Matoran Doseki & Nui-Jaga Scorpio; Ga-Matoran Orca 
Matoran und Panzer: Doseki & Glitch | Marvel RP PC | Mata Nui Monopoly: Come... Own a piece of the legend!

Onua.png

Mhmm, this is great! I like how you constantly manage to keep the Rahi designs consistent to the original yet more complex and detailed, and it is no different with this Nui Rama. The colours mesh very well and the design for the body is very innovative and definitely looks insect-like.

Another excellent job. Do you keep these together after taking the photos? You should definitely do a group shot!

-NotS

tahubanner.jpg

Since it was brought up, have you thought about making a Nui-Kopen and seeing how the two compares?

I've thought about it, but I wanna finish off some other MOCs I've been itching to make first.

Mhmm, this is great! I like how you constantly manage to keep the Rahi designs consistent to the original yet more complex and detailed, and it is no different with this Nui Rama. The colours mesh very well and the design for the body is very innovative and definitely looks insect-like.

Another excellent job. Do you keep these together after taking the photos? You should definitely do a group shot!

-NotS

Thank you for the praise. :)

Also, you'll be seeing a group shot --with an added bonus-- next week. ;)

Definitely love the long, curving, vicious tail!

Steam Name: Toa Hahli Mahri. Xbox Live Gamertag: Makuta. Minecraft Username: ThePoohster.

Wants: 2003 Jaller (from Jaller and Gukko), Exo-Toa, Turaga Nuju, Turaga Vakama, Shadow Kraata, Axonn, Brutaka, Vezon & Fenrakk, Nocturn, ORANGE FIKOU.

I got rid of my picture, are you happy?

• 3 weeks later...

Definitely love the long, curving, vicious tail!

Thank you! :)

Hey! You took off that nose! Good. I like there being no nose. :)

I merely took a photo without the nose to show what it would look like. I prefer the proboscis, and the finalized model on my shelf still has it.

• 2 years later...

Does Nivawk count?