Lego Architecture sets.

Jobber

Would you recommend them for someone who's just starting an average Lego collection? I have a couple Marvel sets, but I just want something that looks pretty on shelf...And a convo starter. And complexity isn't an issue. 

If not, what's the best/good theme to start with? (The generic, Lego City theme sounds good as well, but not really into that 'average joe' thing)

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

Would you recommend them for someone who's just starting an average Lego collection? I have a couple Marvel sets, but I just want something that looks pretty on shelf...And a convo starter. And complexity isn't an issue.

If not, what's the best/good theme to start with? (The generic, Lego City theme sounds good as well, but not really into that 'average joe' thing)

Architecture sets are full of basic parts, including lots of tiny parts like plates. But they don't offer that much variety in terms of color, and fairly few detail parts like figs, wheels, etc.

They might do the trick to get a stodgy, serious adult interested in Lego. But otherwise I'd recommend Creator, City, or next year's "Lego Classic" range of parts buckets.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Architecture sets are full of basic parts, including lots of tiny parts like plates. But they don't offer that much variety in terms of color, and fairly few detail parts like figs, wheels, etc.

They might do the trick to get a stodgy, serious adult interested in Lego. But otherwise I'd recommend Creator, City, or next year's "Lego Classic" range of parts buckets.

Hmm...Didn't about think that. Thanks for the answer! And 'Lego Classic'? That sounds neat. Might check that out after the 2015 Jurassic Park sets.

Edited by Chasm

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

Do you have a budget? The modular buildings or some of the other large Creator buildings look pretty good on display, it's just that they're costly. And, of course, I think the constraction figures from Bionicle and (to a degree) Hero Factory look cool while on display. While there are certainly some sets that are better than others for visual display, it also depends on what you like.

:music:

Do you have a budget? The modular buildings or some of the other large Creator buildings look pretty good on display, it's just that they're costly. And, of course, I think the constraction figures from Bionicle and (to a degree) Hero Factory look cool while on display. While there are certainly some sets that are better than others for visual display, it also depends on what you like.

:music:

I have a budget of about $150. I already have tons of Bionicle's, I'm just trying explore the wonderful realm that is Lego.

And as for what I'm looking for, I'd prefer anything that isn't too generic and 'plain'...Such as Lego City & Star Wars.

Edited by Chasm

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

How about Benny's Spaceship? That's within your budget, and would look cool. 

Some of the larger Legends of Chima sets or the Battle for Ninjago City may look good, or Lord of the Rings sets like Helm's Deep or Tower of Orthanc. 

Some lowerish-end Technic sets also might be up your ally and within budget- my brother has an impressive Technic display on his shelves. It's certainly more dynamic/functional than your average Architecture building, and the latest interesting incarnation of functions is a good conversation starter IMO. It depends on whether you want to go into System and fantasy type stuff, or get more functional cool - and it depends on what you and the friends you're talking with like. :)

How about Benny's Spaceship? That's within your budget, and would look cool. 

Some of the larger Legends of Chima sets or the Battle for Ninjago City may look good, or Lord of the Rings sets like Helm's Deep or Tower of Orthanc. 

Some lowerish-end Technic sets also might be up your ally and within budget- my brother has an impressive Technic display on his shelves. It's certainly more dynamic/functional than your average Architecture building, and the latest interesting incarnation of functions is a good conversation starter IMO. It depends on whether you want to go into System and fantasy type stuff, or get more functional cool - and it depends on what you and the friends you're talking with like. :)

The 2015 Ninjago theme looks like it's going to be very much like Bionicle (the whole tribal/Aztec thing), so that sounds like a good option for me as well as the incoming Jurassic Park sets. And Lord of the Rings...? I like the whole 'medieval' thing, but never much cared for the series tbh. And as for Technic Vehicles and the like? It's in the same boat as Lord of the Rings: I like it, but don't care for vehicles much. Plus, they're likely to take up a whole lotta' room, and I got a small room.

I apologize for being stubborn like this, ya'll.  

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

• 2 weeks later...

Well with Lord of the Rings unfortunately that has retired at the moment and the sets are already going for very high prices from what ive seen online, but as for what i think is good to start a collection with, I know you said not Star Wars but the Mos Eisely Cantina set is an amazing set for display and also the Imperial Star Destroyer

This years Ninjago sets are really awesome, the Enter The Serpent set is awesome: http://brickset.com/sets/70749-1/Enter-the-Serpent and I believe it is $70 if im not mistaken, another great set this year is the Tigers Mobile Command set looks fantastic and it has really high ratings: 

http://brickset.com/sets/70224-1/Tiger's-Mobile-Command

Hope this helped a bit!

Edited by randomreviewerbros

Go check out our Youtube channel! We review BIONICLE and other LEGO related items!
https://www.youtube.com/user/RandomReviewerBros

I see some good suggestions here. I think you need to steer clear of specific lines like Ninjago and Jurassic Park. Architecture sounds like a good idea if you can find a set you like the look of and a good spot to display it. Otherwise the modular buildings sound like an excellent suggestion, I'd love a collection of these if I had the space and money for them! I'd keep away from constraction and minifigs personally as it sounds like you're trying to garner adult interest in your display and the above are probably a little too 'plaything'! If you wanted to go the way of technic there are some amazing trucks, mostly older sets but timeless classics IMO!

Check out my Bionicle store on Bricklink here!

> > > Bionic Bricks < < <

Let me know if you can help me find these last few collectibles!

Masks%20footer4_zpspqs4myrt.png

Also looking for WILD KRAATA and a VMKK Yo!!!

I see some good suggestions here. I think you need to steer clear of specific lines like Ninjago and Jurassic Park. Architecture sounds like a good idea if you can find a set you like the look of and a good spot to display it. Otherwise the modular buildings sound like an excellent suggestion, I'd love a collection of these if I had the space and money for them! I'd keep away from constraction and minifigs personally as it sounds like you're trying to garner adult interest in your display and the above are probably a little too 'plaything'! If you wanted to go the way of technic there are some amazing trucks, mostly older sets but timeless classics IMO!

Since the time this topic was created, I've bought that 'Big Ben' Architecture set--it looks pretty good next to my Bionicles and such. But I'm not going to buy any more of the 2014 modular buildings, and instead wait for the 2015 ones to appear.

Edited by Chasm

te0FrhT.jpg