Skull Spiders and Mask Powers?

Zippo

I was reading Bionicle.com's story section on the skull spiders. I noticed how each color had its own different ability (Blue is described as being tough, silver as fast, and green has x-ray vision). As a lot of you know, these are very similar to the original mask powers we had in 2001 (Strength, X-Ray vision, and Speed). This got me wondering what the significance of their powers might be in relation to the Toa (Since their masks now act as conduits for their elemental powers).

My Theory is this: At one point, the Toa will somehow combine their masks with the powers of the skull spiders, giving them their old mask powers from 2001.

"But Zippo!", you might be saying. "There are 6 Toa, but only 3 colors of skull spider!". True, there are only 3 colors available...for now. Who's to say we won't see more colors coming to us in the summer wave? This theory is also supported by the promo comics we get in each set, which shows us spiders in colors such as red. Plus, the skull spiders latch onto their victim's face, further cementing the link between spider and mask.

So, what do you guys think? Could we see a return to the original mask powers we got back in 2001?

Edit 1/15/2015I realized something else last night: In all the web animations + the comics that come with each Toa, we don't actually see them use their elemental powers until they get their golden masks. This could possibly mean their regular non-gold masks are powerless, and are simply there as placeholders for when they do get their gold masks.

With everything people are saying in this thread about SS powers, and combined with my original theory, it's starting to look pretty likely that we'll see the original Kanohi powers return in some capacity. Perhaps the Toa use their gold masks to awaken Ekimu (Or perhaps to gain access to his crypt), losing them in the process (But possibly still keeping their elemental powers). Ekimu then aids the Toa by giving their powerless masks new abilities (Which he bases on the 6 different breeds of Spider: Shielding, levitation, water breathing, strength, x-ray vision, and speed), which will aid them on their quest to collect the 3 ultimate masks.

Edited by Zippo

why is this happening

Not their original mask powers per-say, but maybe the SP's can pass their traits onto their controlees? That would interesting, seeing Lewa have X-ray vision while being controlled. :P But yeah, it's almost a give that we're going to get more colors of SP's in the summer sets or polybags. We REALLY need an Keetongu orange one!

I totally think of lighters when I see your name, lol.

Edited by Chasm
  • Upvote 1

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

When I saw the title and read the opening paragraph, I thought you would be saying that when a Skull Spider is controlling somebody, the puppeteered person gets that power.

Sounds like you're not saying that, but wouldn't that be the most logical way to get something along the lines of what you're saying? As for what you're saying, vague... but possible. :P

• Upvote 4

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

When I saw the title and read the opening paragraph, I thought you would be saying that when a Skull Spider is controlling somebody, the puppeteered person gets that power.

If the Skull Spiders are masks with minds of their own, what we need is some way to "kill" the mind in it. Perhaps that could be done at a mask-makers forge...

It also could depend on how strong the Toa's minds are, and how strong their connection to the LoSS is. It's possible that a Toa's mind could be stronger than that of your average Skull Spider, giving the whole thing a Mata Nui-Ignika relationship. 

• Upvote 2

If the Skull Spiders are masks with minds of their own, what we need is some way to "kill" the mind in it. Perhaps that could be done at a mask-makers forge...

It also could depend on how strong the Toa's minds are, and how strong their connection to the LoSS is. It's possible that a Toa's mind could be stronger than that of your average Skull Spider, giving the whole thing a Mata Nui-Ignika relationship. 

Then again, if they ARE just masks with minds of their own, surely there should be a way to make masks with those powers without the whole being a spider thing. So it might be possible to just replicate the powers without needing to "kill" the spider...I guess it remains to be seen what the true nature of the Skull Spiders are. 

edit: But yeah, the connection between the Skull Spider powers and original Kanohi powers is pretty intriguing. And I definitely think giving them actual mask powers would be a really cool way to power them up in a later point of the story (so instead of starting out with all these powers, they gain them gradually). Whether they'd do it through the Skull Spiders, though, it's hard to guess right now. Part of me thinks they'll just find Ekimu and he will make new masks for them, perhaps with those powes.  

Edited by farmstink buttlass

AXKP5KC.png

Better yet, why not a Mata Nui/Click relationship? :P

Think of it! Lewa becomes buddies with one of the skull spiders, and every once in a while, when he needs it, the spider jumps on his face and lends him its power, the way Click became a shield for Mata Nui. I would love to see another pet in BIONICLE! :)

• Upvote 1

~Your friendly, neighborhood Shadow

sotpbanner.png

~Credit for Avatar and Banner goes to

NickonAquaMagna~

Think of it! Lewa becomes buddies with one of the skull spiders, and every once in a while, when he needs it, the spider jumps on his face and lends him its power, the way Click became a shield for Mata Nui. I would love to see another pet in BIONICLE! :)

If that isn't done in the official story, someone should fanfic that. :) 

• Upvote 1

If that isn't done in the official story, someone should fanfic that. :) 

Already thinking about it. ;) Got a little sketch in mind for it, too.

(Of course, I'll have to wait until we know a bit more about this new world before I dive into any fun little story pertaining to it. :P )

Edited by ~T1S~

sotpbanner.png

NickonAquaMagna~

If a SS jumps on anyone's face in the story, it had better be Lewa. What with his unfortunate tendency to get stuff stuck to his face in the early years of Old!BIONICLE (infected mask in '01, krana in '02, etc)

:mirunu: Lewa0111 Nuva :mirunu:

• Upvote 7

My Script Comedies: | The Nuva Inn Remake | Ask Matau! Remake (ACCEPTING QUESTIONS!) |

My Prose Comedies: | The BZ-Nui Hack Wars | Mata Nova |

ANNOUNCEMENT: The Nuva Inn is BACK IN BUSINESS!! (See my blog for more info on my writing projects)

ANNOUNCEMENT 2: Looking for voice actors and artists/animators for an upcoming video project! PM me if interested!

If a SS jumps on anyone's face in the story, it had better be Lewa. What with his unfortunate tendency to get stuff stuck to his face in the early years of Old!BIONICLE (infected mask in '01, krana in '02, etc)

True. I hadn't even considered that when I suggested the idea. :P I was originally thinking Tahu or Pohatu, but something made me go with Lewa.

sotpbanner.png

NickonAquaMagna~

And then Onua digs out of the ground and saves him (her). Yeah, we've danced this Charleston a few times before.

• Upvote 2

:r: :e: :g: :i: :t: :n: :u: :i:

Elemental Rahi in Gen2, anyone? A write-up for an initial video for a G2 plot

I really wish everyone would stop trying to play join the dots with Gen 1 and Gen 2 though,it seems there's a couple new threads everyday and often they're duplicates of already existing conversations! Or simply parallel them with a slightly new 'twist'! Gen 2 is NEW, it is NOT Gen 1 and it is NOT a continuation. Outside of the characters we already have I personally don't want to see ANY old characters return. I think it will cheapen the whole experience to those of us familiar with the original line...

And then Onua digs out of the ground and saves him (her). Yeah, we've danced this Charleston a few times before.

Which is why we need a new twist--befriend the parasite! :P

sotpbanner.png

NickonAquaMagna~

On another note, imagine if Pohatu were the one to have a pet Skull Spider. And named it "Kopaka Jr." :D

Tahu would just end up accidentally lighting his on fire.

My Script Comedies: | The Nuva Inn Remake | Ask Matau! Remake (ACCEPTING QUESTIONS!) |

ANNOUNCEMENT: The Nuva Inn is BACK IN BUSINESS!! (See my blog for more info on my writing projects)

ANNOUNCEMENT 2: Looking for voice actors and artists/animators for an upcoming video project! PM me if interested!

Okay, back to the actual topic here.

I like this theory, though it heavily weighs on whether or not we get three new breeds next wave. The only other color in the comics is red, so I don't know.

I like to think Ekimu will give them new masks and armor by the end of the year so they become the Toa Nuva once again.

Who knows though. I wouldn't mind three new breeds.

• Upvote 1
Signature Guidelines: Image size may not exceed 250x100 combined or 468x60 combined.

The only other color in the comics is red, so I don't know.

for now...

Also, that is an interesting theory...maybe there will be a thing where they collect each breed of skull spider to unlock a gate of some sort? (like the Krana?) Or perhaps there will be a way for a toa mask and skull spider power to become fused together? It's a very wishful thinking idea, but like someone else said, doubt it'll happen.

evergrey_l01.gif

Other great bands:

Iron Maiden    Journey    Mercenary    The Unguided    Trivium

Boston    Stratovarius    Symphony X    Epica

Yeah, that's a good point. The SS do seem more Krana-ish with their face-huggy-ness and their special powers. I hope they'll do something with the SS powers, since the Krana powers always felt under-utilized in Old!Bionicle.

• Upvote 3

I hope they release more masks in that organic rubber material the krana were in because I think those are some of the coolest masks (even though they aren't really masks). But also, I'm quite interested to see if we get not only masks in that material, but also a different Skull Spider Mold! Not just a different color, but a different mold like the different Krana Molds. I doubt it though  :confused:

evergrey_l01.gif

Other great bands:

Personally I think it's going to turn out that Makuta woke up a long time ago and forged an army of sentient kanohi in order to find the MoUP. We're presumably getting Ekimu in a summer set, so he could possibly "kill" the masks and fuse them to the toas' current ones. Either that or we get makuta (as the only name we have is "mask maker") and he does plot things instead (or not, because this is the spiritual successor to the makuta of stalling).

Whut. I'm reasonably certain Lewa's a dude.

If the above post has offended you in any way, please send me a PM. It won't help, as I won't respond, but you may feel better afterwards, and keep your frustration to yourself instead of saying something stupid.

Personally I think it's going to turn out that Makuta woke up a long time ago and forged an army of sentient kanohi in order to find the MoUP. We're presumably getting Ekimu in a summer set, so he could possibly "kill" the masks and fuse them to the toas' current ones. Either that or we get makuta (as the only name we have is "mask maker") and he does plot things instead (or not, because this is the spiritual successor to the makuta of stalling).

Whut. I'm reasonably certain Lewa's a dude.

He is. For whatever reason, there's a couple people who think he needs to be a girl.

Edited by ~T1S~
  • Upvote 1

sotpbanner.png

NickonAquaMagna~

I guess it's whole "damsel in distress" scenario likeness where Onua is always saving Lewa. Outside of that connection, I really don't get it. There are unfortunate guys who need their friends' help at times. Lewa is one of those unfortunate guys  :silver:

evergrey_l01.gif

Other great bands:

I was reading Bionicle.com's story section on the skull spiders. I noticed how each color had its own different ability (Blue is described as being tough, silver as fast, and green has x-ray vision). As a lot of you know, these are very similar to the original mask powers we had in 2001 (Strength, X-Ray vision, and Speed). This got me wondering what the significance of their powers might be in relation to the Toa (Since their masks now act as conduits for their elemental powers).

My Theory is this: At one point, the Toa will somehow combine their masks with the powers of the skull spiders, giving them their old mask powers from 2001.

"But Zippo!", you might be saying. "There are 6 Toa, but only 3 colors of skull spider!". True, there are only 3 colors available...for now. Who's to say we won't see more colors coming to us in the summer wave? This theory is also supported by the promo comics we get in each set, which shows us spiders in colors such as red. Plus, the skull spiders latch onto their victim's face, further cementing the link between spider and mask.

So, what do you guys think? Could we see a return to the original mask powers we got back in 2001?

If they're gonna give them their OG mask powers, then why didn't they just make them start out with them? I find this theory unlikely, although I do support the idea of skull spiders giving their powers to those who wear them.

What would happen if a toa, let's say Lewa (since he has a knack of trouble) were to wear the Golden Skull Spider Mask?

He would control the swarm, of course. Payback for what happened in '02, where the swarm controlled him. :P

That would be AWESOME. I can actually see this happening. Think how back in '02 how they were able to control the Bohrok after their Krana were removed. It'd be just like that. I'm actually betting on this one.

MetaKnight.gif  Stay vigilant, my friends. MetaKnight.gif

What would happen if a toa, let's say Lewa (since he has a knack of trouble) were to wear the Golden Skull Spider Mask?

He would control the swarm, of course. Payback for what happened in '02, where the swarm controlled him. :P

LOL I can see Lewa laughing sinisterly at the sweet revenge! :D

• Upvote 1

Maybe the Toa masks actually still have their 2001 powers, but part of G2's "the Toa don't remember who they are" plot line is that they have forgotten how to access them.

At some point Lewa will be controlled by a Levitation Skull Spider, and that will start to awaken memories in him of having a Mask of Levitation. I imagine they would have the Toa complete whatever quest it is that requires the Golden Masks in mid-2015, then by late-2015 Lewa will have worked out that the Toa all need to put a (now docile) Skull Spider on their faces to awaken memories of their true mask powers. They would probably switch back to using their regular masks to access those powers, meaning that they are back to their normal mask colours ready for 2016. Maybe they could keep the gold ones on Suvas in case they need extra firepower at some point.

From a sales point of view, it means that "confusing" mask powers do not scare off potential buyers by being there at release, but are there to draw in those who want to learn more of the mythology once they have got into BIONICLE.

How this fits with what we know:

-The G2 Toa have elemental powers even when their masks are removed, so they still have intrinsic elemental powers.

-Their elemental powers when wearing their regular masks are greater than when wearing no mask - like in G1, this could be because the Kanohi help channel a Toa's elemental abilities, not because the masks themselves have the power of the Toa's element.

-Ekimu likes making elemental Kanohi, so the Protectors may incorrectly think that all beings wielding elemental powers must be wearing a mask of their element to be able to do so - a misunderstanding that they may have taught the amnesiac Toa.

-The Golden Masks could be Great Kanohi of Elements, like the ones possible in G1. Naturally a Toa wearing the mask of their element will have elemental abilities beyond their own intrinsic abilities.

:v: :m_o: :t: :u: :k: :m_o:

I think that would just confuse the fans who would believe early marketing that these are the Masks of Fire, Water, etc., Xelphene.

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

I think that would just confuse the fans who would believe early marketing that these are the Masks of Fire, Water, etc., Xelphene.

I suppose it depends on the way it is introduced, eg. it could be a goal for 2016 to "unlock new powers", which wouldn't be too confusing. Although I admit that that theory strayed into the realms of "very unlikely". :P

(It's more compatible with someone trying to show that G2 is a far-future continuation of G1, but I don't think I should go into that...)

Also, toughness is not really the same thing as strength (I'd say it was closer to "resilience" or something similar), so the other similarities in Skull Spider powers may just be a coincidence.

:v: :m_o: :t: :u: :k: :m_o:

But is that it? There's no other purpose to that mask?

It is the elemental mask of spiders. It gives the ability to control and create spiders. :P

But that isn't the most important question. A mask that controls the skull spiders...

But who made it? Where did it come from? 

I may have an idea.

Skull spiders may have always been present on Okoto, even though the animations make them seem more recent. At some point in history, the spiders got too aggressive, and the Mask Makers saw a need to keep the villagers protected. So, they forged a mask with the power to bend the will of the spiders, and kept it in a special place that kept its power focused on them.

However, once the brothers went comatose, the Mask was left unguarded. One skull spider, a particularly large and intelligent one, broke into their forge and took the mask for himself, and used it to command his smaller brethren. And then they overran the city and went in search of the other masks, and blabbidy-blabbidy-blah. You know the rest. :P

Whaddaya guys think?

• Upvote 3

sotpbanner.png

NickonAquaMagna~

I think that's a joke...

...although if it is true, levitating skull spiders would be really creepy. 

(Plus also I thought aquatic spideys were confirmed in Gali's character vid. :shrugs:)

Yeah, just realized they were hinting Gali, Tahu and Lewa's G1 mask powers. No idea why I didn't get it.

Edited by Kek
Signature Guidelines: Image size may not exceed 250x100 combined or 468x60 combined.

Not sure if it would work like that but I am very open to the idea of the Toa getting mask powers, not just elemental

audio_narration_project_banner_wide.jpg

Bionicle: ANP aims to create narrated versions of all the Bionicle books, with voice actors for each character, and music taken from various media to enhance the story. Check here if you're interested in voicing a character, and here for the chapters that've already been released!

Formerly: Tahu Nuva 3.0

Looking for a Bionicle Beanie. Black one with the symbol on it. Contact me if you are willing to sell

Something else I thought about: A) Depending on what new SS powers are revealed in the summer wave, this may end up being basically confirmed. B) Strength and Speed are fairly generic powers and don't mean too much individually in terms of a connection, but X-Ray vision? Now that's a weird power, especially for a spider (I'd think something like "stinger shoots venom" or "webslinging" would come to mind much quicker...) That, especially when combined with the other two, is a pretty strong hint.