Skull Spiders and Mask Powers?

Zippo

Has anyone thought that maybe the Gold Mask of Skull Spiders might be a "corrupted" version if the Mask of Control?

I mean it controls all these creatures and their powers that are again masks, so could it be?

Archon                      

"For one to truly feel alive, the person must kill oneself a little bit each and every day."

Check out my MOC, one of the new generation of Toa on Spherus Magna!

***Toa Kyraan***

I don't think it plausible to absorb their powers with what we know so far, but the throwbacks to the original mask powers (intentional or not) is pretty cool. So with that in mind, I'd of course love for the Toa to gain those powers somehow. But absorbing them from the spiders doesn't make sense right now.

The Skull Spiders also don't strike me at all as just sentient masks. They're just masks as sets to make that face hugging gimmick work. They definitely seem to just be their own things in the lore.

~|ET|~

E-T... Phone home.

"He walks among us, but he is not one of us."

In response to OP's theory - it's actually quite clever. Obviously it will be shot down if there are no remaining Skull Spiders in the summer wave, but the theory as it exists right now is fairly intriguing. If the story team does take that route, I would really like to see how they would go about it (maybe like they are beaten by the villains and enslaved, but the Toa drain the power of the Skull Spiders into their own masks and gain their abilities? That'd be cool)

-NotS

Edited by Nidhiki of the Shadows

tahubanner.jpg

Since the golden Skull spider mask "controls" the Skull Spiders, maybe it was created by Makuta?? His mask is the mask of control, possibly he created it To use the SS to find the golden masks of power or the MoUP? Maybe we will see a few more types of "control" masks?

It could just be a coincidence.

The new line seems to contain a lot of throwbacks to the old, but I'll hold out on a final judgement until the second wave of sets. 

Embers - a new Bionicle Epic - Coming 2024 

Class Is Out - A Farewell To Corpus Rahkshi - Chapters/Review

BZPRPG Characters - Minnorak, Kain, T'harrak, Savis, Vazaria, Lash

BZPRPG Mercenary Group - The Outsiders - Description - History - Base

Ghosts Of Bara Magna - Ash Tribe - Precipere - Kehla, Somok, Skrall, Gayle, Avinus, Zha'ar

Well, we have seen five out of the six original mask powers attributed to the spiders.

• Speed, Strength, and X-Ray Vision in the character bios.
  • Water Breathing in the animated episodes with Gali.
  • Shielding in the Mask of Creation mobile game.

All we need is Levitation, and they'll all match!

"Whether that is right or not...I also...as a Rider...have a wish that I want to fulfill."

I realized something else last night: In all the web animations + the comics that come with each Toa, we don't actually see them use their elemental powers until they get their golden masks. This could possibly mean their regular non-gold masks are powerless, and are simply there as placeholders for when they do get their gold masks.

With everything people are saying in this thread about SS powers, and combined with my original theory, it's starting to look pretty likely that we'll see the original Kanohi powers return in some capacity. Perhaps the Toa use their gold masks to awaken Ekimu (Or perhaps to gain access to his crypt), losing them in the process (But possibly still keeping their elemental powers). Ekimu then aids the Toa by giving their powerless masks new abilities (Which he bases on the 6 different breeds of Spider: Shielding, levitation, water breathing, strength, x-ray vision, and speed), which will aid them on their quest to collect the 3 ultimate masks.

why is this happening

In all the web animations + the comics that come with each Toa, we don't actually see them use their elemental powers until they get their golden masks.

That's unclear. Is Gali swimming, for example, somewhat elemental? A current in water would greatly help her pull off the battle moves she did fighting the skull spiders there. Lewa swipes away some plants at one point, and the distance is unclear whether his sword literally did that (probably), or if it channeled elemental control to extend his reach. Is Onua's tunneling elemental at all? What about Pohatu's sandnado? Is that just a tool power, or is sand within Stone this time and that was elemental power?

• Upvote 2

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

Right now I'm headcanoning that Pohatu's sand powers are a function of his tool, not part of his elemental power. It's just easier on the brain. It was established that the river area Gali was in has powerful currents, though, so I'm not inclined to think swimming that stretch needed elemental power.

However, I really don't have evidence that some limited elemental powers weren't provided by the standard masks, and the character bios on the website do say that they do provide limited elemental power, so I'm going with that. (And Tahu the Lava Surfer must have some elemental heat resistance, anyway.)

Right now I'm headcanoning that Pohatu's sand powers are a function of his tool, not part of his elemental power. It's just easier on the brain. It was established that the river area Gali was in has powerful currents, though, so I'm not inclined to think swimming that stretch needed elemental power.

However, I really don't have evidence that some limited elemental powers weren't provided by the standard masks, and the character bios on the website do say that they do provide limited elemental power, so I'm going with that. (And Tahu the Lava Surfer must have some elemental heat resistance, anyway.)

Well the sandstorms - the only sand power Pohatu has shown - are almost certainly a function of his tool:

When thrown, these powerful weapons generate sandstorms along their path.

(He just connects them to his feet to fly in a sandstorm.)

But what if the "limited elemental power" provided by the basic masks is just the extra energy/focus that Toa get from wearing any old mask, and the Toa have forgotten that their basic masks actually have other powers? Which would make them different to the pure elemental masks forged by Ekimu. (The Skull Spiders may be hinting at what those forgotten powers are, and may be what remind the Toa later on...)

:v: :m_o: :t: :u: :k: :m_o: