Returning Characters In Bionicle 2015

JallerXHahli

As far as we know, no one else from G1 will be making an appearance this time around. Anyone who does will just be a respectful nod to the original series.

On the notion of Takua, most of us are convinced that he has a new parallel in this continuity, known as the Baby Fire Villager. :P He may not be called Takua, but there are a lot of us who believe that he'll play the role that Takua did before becoming a Toa.

~Your friendly, neighborhood Shadow

sotpbanner.png

~Credit for Avatar and Banner goes to

NickonAquaMagna~

I'd like to see the Turaga, or at least their names, show up somewhere. They were always an integral part of '01 to me.

:mirunu: Lewa0111 Nuva :mirunu:

My Script Comedies: | The Nuva Inn Remake | Ask Matau! Remake (ACCEPTING QUESTIONS!) |

My Prose Comedies: | The BZ-Nui Hack Wars | Mata Nova |

ANNOUNCEMENT: The Nuva Inn is BACK IN BUSINESS!! (See my blog for more info on my writing projects)

ANNOUNCEMENT 2: Looking for voice actors and artists/animators for an upcoming video project! PM me if interested!

Two-Kua (Baby Fire Villager) I feel sets the tone for returning characters; Anything we see will be just a name or a Fan Nickname for an unnamed character (Turaga=Protectors)

:r: :e: :g: :i: :t: :n: :u: :i:

Elemental Rahi in Gen2, anyone? A write-up for an initial video for a G2 plot

I really wish everyone would stop trying to play join the dots with Gen 1 and Gen 2 though,it seems there's a couple new threads everyday and often they're duplicates of already existing conversations! Or simply parallel them with a slightly new 'twist'! Gen 2 is NEW, it is NOT Gen 1 and it is NOT a continuation. Outside of the characters we already have I personally don't want to see ANY old characters return. I think it will cheapen the whole experience to those of us familiar with the original line...

Like I said on a similar topic, I would like Botar to return. He aesthetics really fit into Bio2015.

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

According to the NYCC panel, there are currently no plans to bring back additional "legacy" characters. And I think that's probably for the best. I love Takua/Takanuva as much as the next guy, and he's actually one of my favorite classic BIONICLE characters. But I think his story, like Mata Nui's, was told very effectively in the previous generation. Creating a new story for him in the new universe would be a real challenge, because it would have to measure up to his previous character arc without feeling like a rehash of stories we've already heard. As soon as a Takua character is introduced, everybody who remembers or has even read about the old story will be expecting him to become a Toa, meaning the writers would either have to defy expectations and let all those people down, or play to expectations and tell the same kind of story, but now without the sense of surprise that made that story so compelling in the first place.

The six classic Toa were much easier to bring back. Even though as a team they encountered more than their share of surprises, their individual character arcs were not defined by any kind of big surprise the way Mata Nui's, Takanuva's, or even the Turaga's were. A big part of what made Takanuva so compelling was the reveal that he was destined to become the Toa of Light. A big part of what made Mata Nui so compelling were the reveals that he was the Matoran Universe and was destined to reunite Spherus Magna. A big part of what made the Turaga so compelling was the reveal that they had once been Toa. All these reveals became an integral part of who these characters were. By contrast, we already had a good idea who and what the original Toa were from the very beginning, and reveals like where they came from did not fundamentally alter our understanding of those characters.

Even setting aside why bringing back those beloved BIONICLE characters is problematic, I think it would be more beneficial for the new story to create new characters and develop them into characters we can love and cherish than to continue depending on the old story as a source for compelling characters. That doesn't mean there can't be new characters inspired in some way by the classic characters. But I think explicitly making them new versions of classic BIONICLE characters could be a mistake.

Edited by Aanchir
  • Upvote 6

I don't really want them to bring back specific characters, but I do want the idea of individual protector characters. I don't mean giving them unique masks, but I really would like some more characters besides just "villagers" "masters" "mask-makers" and "villains". I mean I think it would be cool if there were some misadventures of some villagers that a master had to keep helping out of trouble.

evergrey_l01.gif

Other great bands:

Iron Maiden    Journey    Mercenary    The Unguided    Trivium

Boston    Stratovarius    Symphony X    Epica

Well, I hope we get some returning characters in some form. I really liked that we got the original six Toa and Makuta back. Maybe a nod (like an incarnation of say, Brutaka and Axonn) could be really fun. 

-NotS

Axonn would probably the only character I'd want to see again. He was a cool character and adding a gear function to that giant ax would be heaven! :D

• Upvote 2

evergrey_l01.gif

Other great bands:

Well, I hope we get some returning characters in some form. I really liked that we got the original six Toa and Makuta back. Maybe a nod (like an incarnation of say, Brutaka and Axonn) could be really fun. 

-NotS

My god, can you imagine the glorious Dark Blue shells  on a Brutaka-inspired character?

• Upvote 1

SH0Gxlo.png

I also would love to see Axonn appear in the new story! If not him, then maybe a character based off him. He was one of my favorite Gen 1 characters and I would really like him, or a rebooted version of him, to be in the Gen 2 sometime in one the story's later years.

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

Ok. I can't speak for or against it then. I joined Bionicle Winter '05 so the only thing I know of his matoran form is from the movies. (just going off of the movies, I'm pretty neutral towards the idea).

Edited by Evergrey_Toa

evergrey_l01.gif

Other great bands:

-NotS

My god, can you imagine the glorious Dark Blue shells  on a Brutaka-inspired character?

Yessssssss! I want a Brutaka like character, I hope he is a good guy though :/

I would of preferred it if they haven't brought back the gen 1 Bionicle characters. Having the original Toa Mata included in Gen 2 is a bit...eh. But I just assume this is like a prequel to the 2001 storyline...right?  

No, Gen 2 Bionicle is a reboot of the story. It has no connection to the original one. It does some characters from the Gen 1 story, like the Toa and Makuta, but they are also rebooted versions of themselves and don't have any connection to their Gen 1 counterparts.

Edited by I Am A Walrus

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

I want to see a "Metru Nui" (or whatever it's called in the new series) flashback, but only for one year.

Maybe not a flashback, but I would kind of like to see a new Island on the planet with Okoto on it. Actually...I'd like to see something on a full continent for once!

evergrey_l01.gif

Other great bands:

I want to see a "Metru Nui" (or whatever it's called in the new series) flashback, but only for one year.

I would want them to actually do some stuff in metru-nui, they took 2 years in gen-one to talk about it but never got any current sets from metru-nui, even though a big portion of the BoM attacked it during the ordeal in the core.

I'm all for new characters, but it would be fun to see some old names pop up again, especially our old friends from Mata Nui. Toa Metru/Turaga showing up as just regular villagers would be fun (plus would avoid confusion since they are obviously not Toa OR Turaga-equivalents this way).

:mirunu: Lewa0111 Nuva :mirunu:

My Script Comedies: | The Nuva Inn Remake | Ask Matau! Remake (ACCEPTING QUESTIONS!) |

My Prose Comedies: | The BZ-Nui Hack Wars | Mata Nova |

ANNOUNCEMENT: The Nuva Inn is BACK IN BUSINESS!! (See my blog for more info on my writing projects)

ANNOUNCEMENT 2: Looking for voice actors and artists/animators for an upcoming video project! PM me if interested!

Do you think there will be a metru-nui like city?

The Ancient City that the Lord of Skull Spiders is protecting sounds like it might be similar (potentially an ancestral home of the Protectors before they left and established their own tribes across Okoto). But it's not a full island or anything like that.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

I don't know for sure, but if one does show up, I'd rather have it be part of a full continent than be a separate island. If it is an Island, I'd want it to be like Long Island, NY where it's right next to a continent. Bionicle has mainly been Islands thus far and I want to see something different. :D

evergrey_l01.gif

Other great bands:

The Ancient City that the Lord of Skull Spiders is protecting sounds like it might be similar (potentially an ancestral home of the Protectors before they left and established their own tribes across Okoto). But it's not a full island or anything like that.

But how come we don't see a city-like structure on the Okoto map?

cringe

My best guess? It's underground. It was typical of the classic Bionicle theme's early years to have the Toa venture underground to face the source of the evil afflicting the island each year, after all. By 2003 it was almost a running joke.

Also, if it does turn out to be underground, then that's yet another similarity to Metru Nui.

• Upvote 2

What do you mean? The main location looks like Machu Picchu.

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

They were talking about the overhead map, which has no real indication of city-like settlements. Of course, we really don't even know how BIG Okoto is—it's possible that you wouldn't be able to clearly see cities on an overhead map any more easily than you could on a map of North America or Europe.

They were talking about the overhead map, which has no real indication of city-like settlements. Of course, we really don't even know how BIG Okoto is—it's possible that you wouldn't be able to clearly see cities on an overhead map any more easily than you could on a map of North America or Europe.

I miss Metru Nui.

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

I'd really rather not see a Metru-Nui arc. Don't get me wrong, the setting was really cool but I had one tiny little problem with it: I personally hate flashbacks, and the first year of Metru-Nui was neat because it opened up the possibility of other islands besides Mata-Nui, and served as a cool origin story, but the second year was just boring filler. Completely unnecessary, and I felt 2005 tried way to hard to be dark but it ended coming off as so cheesy. Vakama going to the dark side was a lame twist because we already know he's going to be buddy-buddy with his pals again because he was there with his fellow Turaga to tell the story in the first place. We already know the Toa Hordika save the day and find the cure for the venom because they're still alive as Turaga in the present day, so that pretty much removed any suspense in my book. I wouldn't mind a quick little side story like they did with the Toa Haga, but please don't make an entire arc a flashback that just kills it. Even as a kid I had basically no real investment in the 2005 arc. If they do something like Metru-Nui they should make it set in the present day so we can at least move forward in the story or don't take two whole years to do it.

Edited by Xarok

-BE EXCELLENT TO EACH OTHER-

While not necessarily a character, I'd like the concept of Metru Nui to come back. Going from the island to the city was a great change, and I'd like to see other environments beyond Okoto being explored

As for characters, though, Takanuva and the Toa Mahri would be great to come back (just please give me more Matoro he needs to be seen I miss him so much)

BZPRPG:

Akamu, Toa of Ice :smilekohrak: :smilenuju: :smilekopakanu: :smilematoro: :akakunu: :kohrak: :matatu: :akaku: Talk to me about Destiny!

Ask me about stuttering and speech impediments!//Feel free to talk about Dungeons and Dragons with me!

Location-wise, the concept of a city is great. But until Mahri Nui everything we got was an island...however, we still never got a full continent from Bionicle...Now, yes a continent is big, but that doesn't mean we can't have a state-orientend continent or territory or heck, just the peninsula of a continent is a start in the right direction. If they introduce more locations outside of Okoto, please not another island!

evergrey_l01.gif

Other great bands:

Location-wise, the concept of a city is great. But until Mahri Nui everything we got was an island...however, we still never got a full continent from Bionicle...Now, yes a continent is big, but that doesn't mean we can't have a state-orientend continent or territory or heck, just the peninsula of a continent is a start in the right direction. If they introduce more locations outside of Okoto, please not another island!

What about Bara Magna, I know, one of the most disappointing years, but it still is an entire PLANET. They have tried to go full scale, it just didn't work to well for it.

I was going to mention Bara Magna, but that was a different planet, yes. We didn't even get to know the full planet the Matoran came from before getting to Bara Magna. We got Mata Nui, Metru Nui, and Voya Nui in the stories and we had other places like Xia and Artakha yes, but we never saw a continent in the story other than the origins of how Voya Nui broke off from a continent. I guess what I'm saying is...I want to know a larger percentage of the Bionicle's planet this time around. Maybe have a quest that takes the masters around the globe (assuming it is a globe).

evergrey_l01.gif

Other great bands: