Bionicle Game by Telltale Games?

After playing Telltale's PHENOMENAL games based on The Walking Dead and Game of Thrones, it couldn't help but think about what would happen if Lego joined forces with Telltale to create an episodic game adventure based on Bionicle! It could easily use the Toa (or Masters, if you prefer) as the multiple playable protagonists, similar to Game of Thrones, so it would be beyond awesome in my opinion.

What do you think?

• Upvote 5
The Raidmaster

Personally I'd like to see a new and improved version of "Bionicle: The Game". I still think the basic idea was correct but then the overall game was slow and too easy.

However I'd wait until we get at least another year of storyline.

:b: :i: :m_o: :n: :i: :c: :l: :e:

I love telltale games, and think that would be totally awesome. However, the company seems to only make games for very popular tv shows/movies/whatever. Also, Having played telltale games, I can't imagine them gearing anything towards kids anywhere near as much as Lego would want. The whole style of most telltale games, seems to grind with the kid friendly, bright color marketing scheme Lego has going for Bionicle right now.

buttons.php?frm=1&btn_type=43&txt=Press%buttons.php?frm=1&btn_type=42&txt=Press%
buttons.php?frm=1&btn_type=46&txt=Press%buttons.php?frm=1&btn_type=47&txt=Press%

BZPRPG Characters

Want to play all the Lego games? Click Here

I guess it would be cool. But I'm not the one to get suckered into paying big $$$ over the long term, just to play an hour of game-play at most? 

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

I never realized how much I wanted this until you suggested it.

The Mata Nui Online Game remains one of my favorite Lego games, in part because it's a point-and-click adventure game that's big on worldbuilding and smaller on action. Telltale is pretty much the greatest producer of point-and-click adventure games in this day and age. It's like a match made in heaven.

Unfortunately, I don't see Lego being willing to spend the money on a premier adventure game developer like Telltale, especially when cheap action games on mobile devices have much a better shot at reaching Bionicle's target audience.

• Upvote 1

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

I would really like a Telltale Bionicle game, to be honest. But I don't know how appealing it would be to younger Bionicle fans that just started and were not around for Generation One. But I could like a Bionicle game that is available for most modern game systems that is not like the recent Lego games, and could appeal to younger and older fans alike.

Edited by Spiffy247

A fish wielding vampire. That's Spiffy.

A Telltale BIONICLE game would be the best, but the chances of it happening are close to nil. LEGO's close buddies with Warner Bros. and TT Games, and when that partnership is so successful it doesn't make sense for them to look at other developers.

believe victims. its actually not that hard, and youd look kind of bad if you were to, say, side with an abuser because theyre your friend

But... Fallnicle... Bioniout...

Have to agree with you there. A game with Telltale would be cool, but something along the lines of Fallout: New Vegas with Bonkles? I would empty my bank account for something like that.

"Whether that is right or not...I also...as a Rider...have a wish that I want to fulfill."

I want to see Fallout.

With Bonkles.

By Obsidian.

MAKE IT.

Nooo, like elder scrolls by Bethesda. Bionicle has a more fantasy than sci-fi theme.

The latest FO games and TES share a style of gameplay, but Fallout: New Vegas was developed by another company and published by BethSoft.

But think about it; an open-world, FPSRPG where you can play as a Toa, Matoran, Turaga, etc. etc., explore the world at will, choose your elements and mask powers, choose your alignment, do quests, find loot, and impact the world as a whole with a branching storyline.

Plus, Bionicle (Gen 1) has more of a sci-fi theme to me, and that's what I want a game to be based on. You can have a more kiddy game based on gen 2, and a T-rated one for the Gen 1 fans, developed by Obsidian, based on the FO:NV/TES style.

• Upvote 1

LEGO Republic:

The Valkyrie

The "Christmas Brick"

My BZPRPG Profiles

Now a proud member of The Kanohi Force

76561198041367047.png

I'd rather see a Traveller's Tales Bionicle game, but this would be awesome too.

I'd rather not. I think that the studio has become mostly formulaic, and they generally do well because they adapt a popular franchise with loads of characters or scenes that people want to see reenacted in LEGO. I don't really blame them for it; it works well and it still sells, so there's not entirely a need to change that up.

But Bionicle right now has just around fourteen characters (fifteen, if you count the Lord of Skull Spiders) and we barely have any story in the first place, much less iconic scenes that would be great being translated to LEGO. Traveller's Tales only does their own formula well, not something that the new line would need. I wouldn't be opposed to seeing them attempt it, but they're definitely not the studio I'd want to see, especially over Telltale.

Most studios aren't really completely versatile, they're just good at making games that are similar to what they've done before. As far as story and adventure games go, Telltale is definitely doing it right. A more complex, well acted MNOG is generally the best thing that could happen to the new Bionicle. We have little to no idea as to the new world that the franchise is taking place in, and fleshing that out through a game would be great. Telltale, though, admittedly has felt it's best when taking risks with mature content and situations; I'd have to see how their new Minecraft series does.

For those who want something a little more action based, perhaps Supergiant Games? They've also done the same type of game (Bastion and Transistor), but the top down isometric shooter could do nicely for a Bionicle game, and they've done a good job of telling stellar stories while having an action shooter as it's core. Plus, Daniel Korb could do a killer electronic-tribal mashup soundtrack.

If this was last year, I would have suggested Platinum Games, since they had some great third person beat-'em-ups with Bayonetta and Bayonetta 2. But then they released their Legend of Korra licensed title, and that was so poor I don't know if they could handle having another elemental power based licensed theme.

• Upvote 1

That would be interesting to see, but like the others have said, I don't think Bionicle is as mainstream as The Walking Dead or Game of Thrones to warrant them making a full game out of it. Maybe if somewhere down the line, Michael Bay decides to adapt the toyline into a full-fledged TV series or something, we may see that happen, but not now.

Honestly, can't say I'm a big fan of Telltale Games to begin with, though. The gameplay never struck me as very compelling, but it would be cool to see Bionicle get that kind of mainstream attention.

I'd rather see a Traveller's Tales Bionicle game, but this would be awesome too.

I'd rather not. I think that the studio has become mostly formulaic, and they generally do well because they adapt a popular franchise with loads of characters or scenes that people want to see reenacted in LEGO. I don't really blame them for it; it works well and it still sells, so there's not entirely a need to change that up.

But Bionicle right now has just around fourteen characters (fifteen, if you count the Lord of Skull Spiders) and we barely have any story in the first place, much less iconic scenes that would be great being translated to LEGO. Traveller's Tales only does their own formula well, not something that the new line would need. I wouldn't be opposed to seeing them attempt it, but they're definitely not the studio I'd want to see, especially over Telltale.

Most studios aren't really completely versatile, they're just good at making games that are similar to what they've done before. As far as story and adventure games go, Telltale is definitely doing it right. A more complex, well acted MNOG is generally the best thing that could happen to the new Bionicle. We have little to no idea as to the new world that the franchise is taking place in, and fleshing that out through a game would be great. Telltale, though, admittedly has felt it's best when taking risks with mature content and situations; I'd have to see how their new Minecraft series does.

For those who want something a little more action based, perhaps Supergiant Games? They've also done the same type of game (Bastion and Transistor), but the top down isometric shooter could do nicely for a Bionicle game, and they've done a good job of telling stellar stories while having an action shooter as it's core. Plus, Daniel Korb could do a killer electronic-tribal mashup soundtrack.

If this was last year, I would have suggested Platinum Games, since they had some great third person beat-'em-ups with Bayonetta and Bayonetta 2. But then they released their Legend of Korra licensed title, and that was so poor I don't know if they could handle having another elemental power based licensed theme.

NOPE.

It must be Obsidian. GIVE ME OBSIDIAN OR GIVE ME DEATH, I COMM-

*Technical difficulties. Please stand by.*

LEGO Republic:

The Valkyrie

The "Christmas Brick"

My BZPRPG Profiles

76561198041367047.png

I think I'm at the point where a Telltales Bionicle game would be the best. I loved Bionicle Heroes by Traveler's Tales, but I don't think that within two years we would have enough characters for their formula of Lego games. That and BH didn't get as great as a treatment compared to other Lego games in terms of customization and post-game content.

Though the issue with Telltales is that their recent output is adult based, being heavily story-driven as their games are. I think it's possible to do a more kid-friendly game, though I'm not so sure publishers would be up for the idea (maybe they think kids will be bored or other excuses).

It's going to be sometime before we ever really get a good Bionicle game. Platinum did a good job with their recent The Legend of Korra game, considering the time constraints and "budget" they were given to do it. Even if we got something of that scale that would still be good.

TAK

[MNOLG The Movie Website]

rsz_1onua1024.png
Need to start a poll? Or start a topic in Games & Trivia? PM me!

I think I'm at the point where a Telltales Bionicle game would be the best. I loved Bionicle Heroes by Traveler's Tales, but I don't think that within two years we would have enough characters for their formula of Lego games. That and BH didn't get as great as a treatment compared to other Lego games in terms of customization and post-game content.

Though the issue with Telltales is that their recent output is adult based, being heavily story-driven as their games are. I think it's possible to do a more kid-friendly game, though I'm not so sure publishers would be up for the idea (maybe they think kids will be bored or other excuses).

It's going to be sometime before we ever really get a good Bionicle game. Platinum did a good job with their recent The Legend of Korra game, considering the time constraints and "budget" they were given to do it. Even if we got something of that scale that would still be good.

TAK

They're making a minecraft themed adventure game called 'Minecraft: Story Mode' so they don't just do adult stuff these days

TAK

They're making a minecraft themed adventure game called 'Minecraft: Story Mode' so they don't just do adult stuff these days

That's true, I had forgotten. Though I don't think the potential profit off Bionicle would be anywhere near the size of Minecraft. But either way, a Telltales game based in the Bionicle Universe would be amazing for everyone.

TAK

[MNOLG The Movie Website]

rsz_1onua1024.png
Need to start a poll? Or start a topic in Games & Trivia? PM me!

Skimmed through second half of this thread so apologies for retreading old ground. I've played a bunch of Telltale games, they made that great Back to the Future series too right? But I can't think of an IP that would be more poorly suited to Telltale games than something like this. Not just Bionicle, anything Lego just wouldn't work imo. In fact, NO children's subject matter at all really seems like it would work with Telltale Games. They tend to make more grown up games, at a guess I'd say they target the young adult/adult demographic. While many of us here DO fit into that bracket, it's certainly not enough to make it worth their while to make a game for us. It's not exactly their specialty anyway. 

Bionicle needs an RPG with mask-collecting and elemental combat. Oh, and crafting. Because everything has crafting these days...  ;)

Check out my Bionicle store on Bricklink here!

> > > Bionic Bricks < < <

Let me know if you can help me find these last few collectibles!

Masks%20footer4_zpspqs4myrt.png

Also looking for WILD KRAATA and a VMKK Yo!!!

Skimmed through second half of this thread so apologies for retreading old ground. I've played a bunch of Telltale games, they made that great Back to the Future series too right? But I can't think of an IP that would be more poorly suited to Telltale games than something like this. Not just Bionicle, anything Lego just wouldn't work imo. In fact, NO children's subject matter at all really seems like it would work with Telltale Games. They tend to make more grown up games, at a guess I'd say they target the young adult/adult demographic. While many of us here DO fit into that bracket, it's certainly not enough to make it worth their while to make a game for us. It's not exactly their specialty anyway. 

Bionicle needs an RPG with mask-collecting and elemental combat. Oh, and crafting. Because everything has crafting these days...  ;)

Again, Obsidian Entertainment would make an excellent Bionicle RPG.

With crafting! 

And masks!

LEGO Republic:

The Valkyrie

The "Christmas Brick"

My BZPRPG Profiles

76561198041367047.png

Again, Obsidian Entertainment would make an excellent Bionicle RPG.

With crafting! 

And masks!

I love RPGs.

A fish wielding vampire. That's Spiffy.

Everyone loves RPGs! Obsidian could definitely do a good game but it still won't happen. There's just no market for it... We may get a fan game of course but if that were to happen I'd rather see a Gen 1 with the Mata in it.

What sort of game would others like? I'm intrigued now :)

Their games have just been such a refreshing change lately that I'd probably be all over this.

It would undeniably satisfy that storytelling itch a lot of us probably have with the new generation.

I've only played The Walking Dead (though do have Wolf Among Us and plan to get Game of Thrones, so my sample size will get larger but is not great right now), so using that as a base, one change that I feel would need to be made is more involved action. There's no way a BIONICLE game could be carried by story on its own.

~|ET|~

E-T... Phone home.

"He walks among us, but he is not one of us."

Their games have just been such a refreshing change lately that I'd probably be all over this.

It would undeniably satisfy that storytelling itch a lot of us probably have with the new generation.

I've only played The Walking Dead (though do have Wolf Among Us and plan to get Game of Thrones, so my sample size will get larger but is not great right now), so using that as a base, one change that I feel would need to be made is more involved action. There's no way a BIONICLE game could be carried by story on its own.

~|ET|~

The best Telltale games are the Sam and Max games. They (sometimes) have some interesting action and I kinda like them.

Plus, they're funny. Not exactly kid-friendly, but... eh. 

LEGO Republic:

The Valkyrie

The "Christmas Brick"

My BZPRPG Profiles

76561198041367047.png

~|ET|~

The best Telltale games are the Sam and Max games. They (sometimes) have some interesting action and I kinda like them.

Plus, they're funny. Not exactly kid-friendly, but... eh.

My only personal experience with their games was the Homestar Runner game they did ("Strong Bad's Cool Game for Attractive People"). That was pretty excellent, and from what I've heard they've only gone on to bigger and better things from there.

But again, I just don't see Lego investing in a top-tier developer like Telltale, and I don't really know if we're likely to see another point-and-click adventure game whatsoever. Lego seems to be doing quite well with free, bite-size mobile titles and larger console experiences produced by TT Games. And why change things up when you've got a formula that works?

It's the same reason I've pretty much given up hope on an official My Little Pony game that's bigger or better than the highly-lucrative "free-to-play" mobile game. At the very least I'm grateful that Lego's above nickel-and-diming players the way Hasbro does.

Personally, I don't think TT's formula really works. It's dull and boring. I've played quite a few LEGO games, and... bleh, they were... bleh.

Suit yourself. Personally, while I haven't felt the need to buy yet another Lego licensed game in some time, the games still consistently deliver an enjoyable gameplay experience (especially in co-op mode).

In any case, what I meant by "works" is that they still get decent-to-great reviews, sell boatloads of copies, and make a tidy profit. Whether or not you personally like the games, there's little doubt that they're massively successful. And as such, Lego's not in a position where they really need to enlist big-name developers.

Ah, yeah, I don't play coop. I don't have XBOX Live, nor do I have anyone nearby to play co-op. When I did try it, it was as dull as the rest of the game. I never felt the need to finish the game. I almost 100%ed Bionicle Heroes, but my disk and my HDD broke right after each other.

LEGO Republic:

The Valkyrie

The "Christmas Brick"

My BZPRPG Profiles

76561198041367047.png

I could think a story based game could go well, provided the voice actors were different people, not all the same guy. I mean I love my VN's and adventure games as much as the next guy, I'd give it a go.

Personally, I think that the fighter genre would fit the series quite well. Something in similar vein to street fighter, but the Mortal Kombat "feel" might suit Bionicle better. But not the fatalities of course.

Or!

If any of you have played Etrian Odyssey before, I think that the dungeon crawler/Rpg aspect could fit well too.

Edited by Turaga of Justice

Speaking of dungeon crawlers... What's wrong with the Titan Quest/Dungeon Siege formula for a new game? You can control one OR MORE heroes without being tied to a first or third person camera. The large viewable playing area could allow for some pretty nice visuals and a lot of onscreen enemies/items which is perfect if we go up against skull spiders. The same large view would also allow some pretty spectacular Elemental AoE attacks which is something a Bionicle game NEEDS to have! 

Dungeon crawlers aren't all about caves and tombs either, we could visit any location on Okoto Nui which would be pretty cool. The Toa could have a progression based RPG system but whether or not it would work is another thing entirely. What would be really cool is how this formula would allow us to mix up the team combinations as you wouldn't have a playable character as such, rather just be playing lots of characters... That means you don't have to have Tahu with you the whole time. He can split off (maybe even be sent off) and you can team up with some otehr Toa for a while. No reason why protectors couldn't get in on the action too and maybe even the odd villager could tag along from time to time. Even if they just show up for escort or rescue missions at least it would help give them some personality and help flesh out the new universe...

Not sure what the storyline of such a title could be but I imagine the overarching objective would be to recover all 6 gold masks, revive Ekimu and defeat the LoSS/possibly Makuta. Hard to say when we still don't know much about where the storyline is headed yet. As always with this sort of game though, there will be plenty of distractions along the way. We're guaranteed at least 6 different zones each with at least one large population centre and probably many smaller settlements too. Some of these areas will have problems with Rahi (maybe) others will have element specific issues and all of them will have lots of spiders to fight. Maybe each area has a LoSS that can be defeated to earn rewards and make the area a little safer. 

The element specific issues could introduce a sort of puzzle element to the game which could be fun (and much more 'Lego') Say there's an ice wall in Ko-Koto for example and the villagers can't tunnel through it. You have Kopaka and Lewa with you but neither of them can do anything about it. Maybe you should go find Onua to tunnel through it or Tahu to just plain melt it? There could even be right and wrong choices, so when Tahu melts the wall it floods a nearby mine and so provides another problem to solve.

Action and combat would probably play out like Dragon Age or something, controlling a group of warriors with special abilities. Same as all dungeon crawlers really! The enemies are likely to be skull spiders for the most part but of course they would have to be distinctly varied to provide consistent entertainment value. Just saying 'this guy has xray vision' is great for a Bio but it has to somehow affect gameplay too or it's just superfluous. Other enemies can easily be added too. As well of the LoSS we know there will be more badguys at some point (maybe in the Summer but who knows :P) so they could show up in the game too. No reason we wouldn't expect to see Rahi beasts too, even if they aren't called that this time round. There will be some sort of wildlife on Okoto and there's no reason some of it couldn't be effected by the MoUP somehow or simply flat out hostile to villagers...

I'd totally play this game, sounds pretty cool :P

Edited by Munty