Geared Soldier

Hello there, BZPeoples! I have an unnamed guy for you to marvel at!

1small.jpg

imgp9548flex.jpg

But he's not here for you to drool over his glorious guns, or his perfectly toned legs.

imgp9549.jpg

Back view

Front view (without armor)

Side view (without arm)

So, a while back, I played around with making my own version of the new gearbox. The result was something that would fir a slightly smaller figure (Protector-sized, perhaps?). However, I didn't have the necessary parts on hand to make that work. So, I upgraded it into this.

You see, I'm not a fan of how LEGO designed the 2015 sets with arms that seem to float behind their heads. So, I aimed to make something more anatomically correct, with the arms just one stud away from where they should be instead of three. This is the result. As you can see, it's much more compact than the 2015 sets, while retaining the exact same amount of mobility within the gear function.

List of improvements:

--torso is a bit longer; Unlike any of the Toa, this does not make the limbs look gangly or over-sized in comparison

--Shoulders are actually on the torso, coming out just under the neck, where they should be

--doesn't include useless, empty ball joints. :P

Here's a video to show that it does work.

So, there you go. I would have given him a weapon, but I've been unable to find anything that really matches his aesthetic. I'll also be trying other configurations later on. Maybe I'll try to perfect that smaller figure I almost started with.

Gallery (when public)

Comments? Criticism? Cookies?

Edited by ~T1S~
  • Upvote 5

~Your friendly, neighborhood Shadow

sotpbanner.png

~Credit for Avatar and Banner goes to

NickonAquaMagna~

The gearbox you made is completely different in design, but aesthetic wise, this looks similar in color scheme, the mask, and in functionality to the antihero I entered in the BFTGM Competition

It was called Toa Viutrian.

That aside, I like him. You did a nice job of building a custom gearbox and an even nicer job of creating a cool-looking character!

evergrey_l01.gif

Other great bands:

Iron Maiden    Journey    Mercenary    The Unguided    Trivium

Boston    Stratovarius    Symphony X    Epica

Nice! I liked Lego's gear box design, but it definitely wasn't without its flaws and felt that a new torso design could have worked out really well, and what you presented here is a good show case of how awesome the designs could be if they didn't have flaws like open ball joints on them. Really nice!

The gearbox you made is completely different in design, but aesthetic wise, this looks similar in color scheme, the mask, and in functionality to the antihero I entered in the BFTGM Competition

That aside, I like him. You did a nice job of building a custom gearbox and an even nicer job of creating a cool-looking character!

LOL that is too funny. I never saw your entry, though. Looks good, though!

Actually, I had this guy built about the same time the contest started, but I didn't consider him villainous enough, so I didn't enter him. :P

Nice! I liked Lego's gear box design, but it definitely wasn't without its flaws and felt that a new torso design could have worked out really well, and what you presented here is a good show case of how awesome the designs could be if they didn't have flaws like open ball joints on them. Really nice!

Thanks! I actually modified the custom gearbox from another member's design. His was used  just like the set ones are, but I wanted to try something different. So, I flipped it around, and built as part of the torso itself, rather than an addition. I'm quite pleased with the result. :)

sotpbanner.png

NickonAquaMagna~

LOL that is too funny. I never saw your entry, though. Looks good, though!

Actually, I had this guy built about the same time the contest started, but I didn't consider him villainous enough, so I didn't enter him. :P

I built a toa to warm up my rusty MOCing skills and then I figured I'd enter him in as an antihero. I used the gearbox design I made on him for my only other entry which looked more villainous and evil. If you want a link to it, I'll provide it. But anyway, I thought it was hilarious that we came up with similar designs aesthetically. The actual builds of our MOCs are very different, but hey, we could team up and make a story of how one turned into the other :P  :lookhere: But yeah, great minds think alike I suppose haha. I look forward to seeing more MOC's from you!

• Upvote 1

evergrey_l01.gif

Other great bands:

Iron Maiden    Journey    Mercenary    The Unguided    Trivium

Boston    Stratovarius    Symphony X    Epica

I built a toa to warm up my rusty MOCing skills and then I figured I'd enter him in as an antihero. I used the gearbox design I made on him for my only other entry which looked more villainous and evil. If you want a link to it, I'll provide it. But anyway, I thought it was hilarious that we came up with similar designs aesthetically. The actual builds of our MOCs are very different, but hey, we could team up and make a story of how one turned into the other :P  :lookhere: But yeah, great minds think alike I suppose haha. I look forward to seeing more MOC's from you!

Haha, that'd be cool! Might make for an interesting story. :)

As for other MOCs, check out my comics! I do photo/MOC comics rather than sprites, and there's quite a variety among my characters.

sotpbanner.png

NickonAquaMagna~

Comments: This is awesome! I love that custom torso design!

Criticism: The MOC itself, outside of the torso, is a little bland. But that's not the point of the MOC anyway so it doesn't really matter.

Cookies: *gives you virtual cookies* :P

The artist formerly known as

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

BBC#69 Entry: Roodaka - Master of Manipulation

BFTGM entries: Zigben · Ventox · Deflecto

Hail Denmark.

Comments: This is awesome! I love that custom torso design!

Criticism: The MOC itself, outside of the torso, is a little bland. But that's not the point of the MOC anyway so it doesn't really matter.

Cookies: *gives you virtual cookies* :P

Believe me, I tried to give him better limbs. But everything I tried ended up looking ridiculous. So, I took the simple approach. :P

sotpbanner.png

NickonAquaMagna~

• 2 weeks later...

I think you did a pretty good job with this. The color scheme works well with build even if there isn't much color variety. It projects a sleek and fast feel. The gear box is a nice addition.

signoff2.png

Thanks for the input! The gearbox is actually meant to be the main feature. :P As I said in the first post, the original design looked much different. It was silver and lime green before I opted for a more simple approach, which resulted in my using a color I had a lot of: gunmetal. I may revamp this later or even for a larger or smaller figure, as I would like to try a Matoran/Protector-style figure using the gearbox technique. A larger one might be interesting to try, as well.

sotpbanner.png

NickonAquaMagna~