2015 Sets Inspired by Human History?

No, you read that topic right. I listened to a Tahu review in which the reviewer stated that Tahu 2015's design reminded him of samurai aesthetics. Prior to that, I wouldn't have given it any thought, but with that statement said, I noticed more things:

Tahu- Samurai obviously. Look at some Samurai helmets and the swords on his back and I'm sure you'll see a few similarities.

Kopaka- That giant shield brings 2 eras to mind: Greek and Roman. The giant shield/spear combination reminds me of roman soldiers. That is likely why they beefed up Kopaka because his previous skinny design would look dumb with that giant Troy/Roman-esque shield.

Pohatu- Well...boomerangs, element of stone, desert. He was inspired by the aborigines of Australia. I don't want to offend anyone from Australia, but isn't the knife/dagger he carries influenced by the aborigines as well? Not the shape of it, but the concept?

Gali- Like Kopaka, she is also inspired by the Greeks because the Greeks were the first people to come up with spears and then from the spear, they developed the trident.

Lewa- The Axes mixed with the jungle motif point towards the war hatchets of the Native American Indians. The power of flight comes into play as flight is usually a symbol for freedom, which was the nature of Native Americans' nomadic lifestyle. His mask also reflects the expression of a Native American to me for some reason. Was it intended?

Onua- His War Hammer gains influence from the Medieval time period. His mask does kind of bring a knight to mind (at least to me it does) and his build itself is very well armored like a knight. He does have super strength, so he is stockier than a knight, but what about the actual armor he has? That armor could definitely be described as knight-like.

Those are interpretations I made from comparing the looks of the sets to depictions of warriors throughout human history. What are your thoughts on this? Do you think Lego did this to add to the tribal feel of the sets? Do you think they specifically went for these connections? Feel free to share your thoughts and also feel free to correct me on anything I misinterpreted or just plain messed up :P

• Upvote 3

evergrey_l01.gif

Other great bands:

Iron Maiden    Journey    Mercenary    The Unguided    Trivium

Boston    Stratovarius    Symphony X    Epica

Wel, the main location on Okoto (that temple city place that we always see?) was obviously based off of Machu Picchu.  

• Upvote 1

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

Yeah, I saw that much, but as far as the sets go, I find it interesting how many different things the sets take influence from. The old sets just seemed to evoke a sense of tribalism, but these new sets go as far as to appear to be based on warriors from different ages of history.

evergrey_l01.gif

Other great bands:

I don't think they're necessarily based on human history like you're saying, at least not any more than every other line of sets; a lot of them use the same kinds of weapons and tools as their first incarnations, or at least ones our culture has come to associate with different things.    Gali having a trident doesn't mean she's based on the Greeks, it just means that tridents are basically seen as "that water thing" nowadays.

• Upvote 5

OpAXNpl.jpg

I don't think they're necessarily based on human history like you're saying, at least not any more than every other line of sets; a lot of them use the same kinds of weapons and tools as their first incarnations, or at least ones our culture has come to associate with different things.    Gali having a trident doesn't mean she's based on the Greeks, it just means that tridents are basically seen as "that water thing" nowadays.

I placed too much emphasis on the weapons. My point is concerned moreso with Tahu, Kopaka, and Pohatu. Weapons aside, they actually resemble things that come to mind. Tahu brings a Samurai to mind at first glance, Kopaka a Spartan/Roman Warrior, and Pohatu an Australian Aborigine. Lewa has some elements of the Native American in his build style as well. Sorry that I emphasized the weapons, but overall, at first glance I feel like these 4 specifically resemble certain elements of those historical tribes/eras/periods.

evergrey_l01.gif

Other great bands:

I dont know I got an eskimo vibe from Kopaka when I first got him. The golden HF paws on his shoulders reminded me of like something eskimo hunters would wear in the cold environment and the spear is also a weapon used by the hunters and idk it just reminded me of that. Not so much a Spartan soldier. I also can understand your Tahu idea. But everything else really doesnt make sense with me. Maybe Ill examine my figures a bit more. But Idk cool ideas :)

I dont know I got an eskimo vibe from Kopaka when I first got him. The golden HF paws on his shoulders reminded me of like something eskimo hunters would wear in the cold environment and the spear is also a weapon used by the hunters and idk it just reminded me of that. Not so much a Spartan soldier. I also can understand your Tahu idea. But everything else really doesnt make sense with me. Maybe Ill examine my figures a bit more. But Idk cool ideas :)

Spartans carried large shields and often large spears. Just saying!

I'm going off of pictures I've seen as I still (unfortunately) don't have any of the sets in hand. :/

• Upvote 1

evergrey_l01.gif

Other great bands:

I placed too much emphasis on the weapons. My point is concerned moreso with Tahu, Kopaka, and Pohatu. Weapons aside, they actually resemble things that come to mind. Tahu brings a Samurai to mind at first glance, Kopaka a Spartan/Roman Warrior, and Pohatu an Australian Aborigine. Lewa has some elements of the Native American in his build style as well. Sorry that I emphasized the weapons, but overall, at first glance I feel like these 4 specifically resemble certain elements of those historical tribes/eras/periods.

I guess I'm just not seeing it as much.  Tahu's mask… kinda looks like a samurai helmet I guess?  The helmet I usually stare at doesn't look that similar, but I know they vary wildly in design so some might match better.

OpAXNpl.jpg

Lewa- The Axes mixed with the jungle motif point towards the war hatchets of the Native American Indians. The power of flight comes into play as flight is usually a symbol for freedom, which was the nature of Native Americans' nomadic lifestyle. His mask also reflects the expression of a Native American to me for some reason. Was it intended?

Many Native American peoples were and are not nomadic. The Alonquin Indians who invented the tomahawk lived a variety of lifestyles depending on their geography. The different climates and food sources where people lived affected their habits. Those who lived in warmer areas could farm and create more permanent settlements, while those up in the cold North of Canada had to live off the land and move according to seasonal food sources like spawning fish.

Also, Lewa's tropical jungle home doesn't jive with the more temperate areas the tomahawk was used in.

Edited by Latrodectus
  • Upvote 4

If I may flaunt my education here; Bionicle is a work of human artists to create a fictional world. Of course it will be influenced by human history and culture. It's near impossible for a human to create works that aren't influenced by their culture, simply because they're so steeped in it from birth. Yes, the Toa will resemble RL warriors, the Regions will resemble RL places, and their mindsets will mirror human ones.

• Upvote 3

:r: :e: :g: :i: :t: :n: :u: :i:

Elemental Rahi in Gen2, anyone? A write-up for an initial video for a G2 plot

I really wish everyone would stop trying to play join the dots with Gen 1 and Gen 2 though,it seems there's a couple new threads everyday and often they're duplicates of already existing conversations! Or simply parallel them with a slightly new 'twist'! Gen 2 is NEW, it is NOT Gen 1 and it is NOT a continuation. Outside of the characters we already have I personally don't want to see ANY old characters return. I think it will cheapen the whole experience to those of us familiar with the original line...

I like this idea, and am seeing it more and more after reading this. We haven't seen too much of the villages and regions yet, but perhaps the different villages will have architecture and such that loosely match up with these same themes? As someone above pointed out, the temple (in the jungle region, no less) does look very Inca/Mesoamerican which would fit with a vague Native American theme. I suppose time will tell once we see more and more of the villages and such. But I would completely LOVE it if they continued with these themes.

:mirunu: Lewa0111 Nuva :mirunu:

• Upvote 1

My Script Comedies: | The Nuva Inn Remake | Ask Matau! Remake (ACCEPTING QUESTIONS!) |

My Prose Comedies: | The BZ-Nui Hack Wars | Mata Nova |

ANNOUNCEMENT: The Nuva Inn is BACK IN BUSINESS!! (See my blog for more info on my writing projects)

ANNOUNCEMENT 2: Looking for voice actors and artists/animators for an upcoming video project! PM me if interested!

Many Native American peoples were and are not nomadic. The Alonquin Indians who invented the tomahawk lived a variety of lifestyles depending on their geography. The different climates and food sources where people lived affected their habits. Those who lived in warmer areas could farm and create more permanent settlements, while those up in the cold North of Canada had to live off the land and move according to seasonal food sources like spawning fish.

Also, Lewa's tropical jungle home doesn't jive with the more temperate areas the tomahawk was used in.

My apologies then. I guess we didn't cover that in my school system. And yeah, I knew that the northern natives could farm, I just don't recall all the different types of Native Americans.

I like this idea, and am seeing it more and more after reading this. We haven't seen too much of the villages and regions yet, but perhaps the different villages will have architecture and such that loosely match up with these same themes? As someone above pointed out, the temple (in the jungle region, no less) does look very Inca/Mesoamerican which would fit with a vague Native American theme. I suppose time will tell once we see more and more of the villages and such. But I would completely LOVE it if they continued with these themes.

:mirunu: Lewa0111 Nuva :mirunu:

Yeah, that's the connection I was trying to make, but I'm not very good at expressing ideas through text/typing haha. But yeah, I'm very curious to see if the villages/villagers follow the concepts as well. And it's also worth noting that the writing style (the prophecy and such) bring Egyptian hieroglyphs to mind.

• Upvote 1

evergrey_l01.gif

Other great bands:

True, though the 'stereotypical' Indians of popular culture live in movable teepees on open plains.

True, though the 'stereotypical' Indians of popular culture live in movable teepees on open plains.

Being actual Native myself, I can tell you that my people did move based on the available food sources and climate, sorta like 'moving with the herd.'

Edited by Chasm

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

Interesting... some of  these I actually can see the resemblance, but I think it's coincidental. The designers probably just wanted them to have diverse weapons and looks.

I think you're right. And I think I want a soda.

Mmm soda's are tasty. I don't drink soda cause it's not good for my health, but a good coke every thirty years or so won't hurt.

Wait a second, I'm barely over half that age.

Shhh...

Interesting... some of  these I actually can see the resemblance, but I think it's coincidental. The designers probably just wanted them to have diverse weapons and looks.

I think you're right. And I think I want a soda.

Mmm soda's are tasty. I don't drink soda cause it's not good for my health, but a good coke every thirty years or so won't hurt.

Wait a second, I'm barely over half that age.

Shhh...

I myself have a problem staying awake in the morning and early afternoon because of my meds. So I have soda to keep me alert and active. I drink Coke zero as it has less aspartame.

A fish wielding vampire. That's Spiffy.

The only other thing to add to the case at this point in time is the actual toa videos; namely Pohatu. Listen to the voice in Pohatu's video and it sounds like he has a hint of Australia in his accent. This one is probably more stylistic/coincidental, but it still ties into the fact that he has boomerangs and a dagger.

evergrey_l01.gif

Other great bands:

So I was playing the new mobile game, and I do not know how accurate that game will be but, the water village has got some serious Atlantis vibes.

just to be sure here: do you mean Atlantis vibes besides being a city underwater? like, actual Greek-inspired motifs?

Yeah, there were several symbols in the background that looked like they could be Greek (they aren't, as I actually am part Greek and I don't recognize any of them). Also, there were some stone structures that looked like they could be Greek.

• Upvote 1

"It's got a great defense mechanism... you don't dare kill it..."

alien_isolation_6_0.jpg

If the sets were inspired by human history (and I don't really see much of the influence - a spear's a spear, and spears have been used by many peoples), then I would very much doubt that BIONICLE was the first. There are (probably) many things that have been based on human history, and there are many things that aren't. I would not be surprised if any perceived connections were intentional, and if others were simply coincidences. 

I also definitely don't see Onua like a Knight... he'd have to have a lot more silver or grey to be a knight in my mind, and also have less ridiculous shoulders. Knights certainly did not have shoulders broad enough to have a chest wider than their body is tall. Not to mention that the common depiction of a knight features a sword and a shield, as opposed to a warhammer. 

• Upvote 1

On Bota Magna, everything is about to fall apart.

I really like Samurai. Ever since I was four.

Could be cool to see like a BIONICLE warring states era or something. Some really awesome potential armour shell ideas.

-NotS

What if we had a storyline where a huge amount of Skulls spiders burst from the underground and took over a huge amount of villagers, and they tried to invade the villages, and the Toa had to lead armies of them and fight back, trying to remove the skull spiders without killing the villagers. And the Toa gained new armor found in the underground cave hat the skull spiders lived in. That would be nifty.

• Upvote 1

A fish wielding vampire. That's Spiffy.

What if we had a storyline where a huge amount of Skulls spiders burst from the underground and took over a huge amount of villagers, and they tried to invade the villages, and the Toa had to lead armies of them and fight back, trying to remove the skull spiders without killing the villagers. And the Toa gained new armor found in the underground cave hat the skull spiders lived in. That would be nifty.

That would be cool, just have warlord Toa leading massive armies of armoured Protectors against the Skull Spiders.

Makes more sense then what I was thinking - each Toa being a faction and going against each other trying to gain control of all of Okoto. xD Maybe in an alternate universe.

-NotS

• Upvote 1

tahubanner.jpg

I agree with this. Also Onua reminds me of Gimli for some reason. A large Gimli, so yeah basically medieval culture.

• Upvote 1

Archon                      

"For one to truly feel alive, the person must kill oneself a little bit each and every day."

Check out my MOC, one of the new generation of Toa on Spherus Magna!

***Toa Kyraan***

I really like Samurai. Ever since I was four.

Could be cool to see like a BIONICLE warring states era or something. Some really awesome potential armour shell ideas.

-NotS

I like this idea. I like it very much. I would definitely like to see something along these lines take place!

evergrey_l01.gif

Other great bands: