Naming the Protectors

It really bothers me that the protectors don't have official names. It makes a lot of sense that they should be named after the Turaga (Vakama, Nuju, etc.).

However, this may be inappropriate because they fight alongside the Toa, making them seem more like Tohunga than anything else.

I hope we learn more about the race of the protectors, it would make things easier.

What does everyone else think?

kalija.png

all this is temporary.

Follow me on Twitter! @sean52711

I'll follow back.

There were a ton of names in each year of G1. I figured that LEGO was just trying to save some money in the legal department by not having as many original G2 names.

Then again, they may yet have names to be revealed.

tumblr_ng1pw4xLEM1tryxewo1_1280.jpg

I had names for them somewhere... now where did I put that...?

EDIT: Found it.

In traditional Ta-, Ga-, Le-, Nu-, Po-, and Ko- order, here goes.

Furan, Protector of Fire

Vatra, Protector of Water

Buli, Protector of Jungle

Arden, Protector of Earth

Stendar, Protector of Stone

Eska, Protector of Ice

These names are simply my best guesses. Use them if you like, ignore them if you don't.

Edited by Regitnui

:r: :e: :g: :i: :t: :n: :u: :i:

Elemental Rahi in Gen2, anyone? A write-up for an initial video for a G2 plot

I really wish everyone would stop trying to play join the dots with Gen 1 and Gen 2 though,it seems there's a couple new threads everyday and often they're duplicates of already existing conversations! Or simply parallel them with a slightly new 'twist'! Gen 2 is NEW, it is NOT Gen 1 and it is NOT a continuation. Outside of the characters we already have I personally don't want to see ANY old characters return. I think it will cheapen the whole experience to those of us familiar with the original line...

There were a ton of names in each year of G1. I figured that LEGO was just trying to save some money in the legal department by not having as many original G2 names.

It's not as much about saving money (since they could obviously use names like those of the Turaga which have already been cleared by legal), but rather about not overloading the story with information from the get-go. Forcing the audience to memorize an entire lexicon of names and terminology with no similarities to their native language can be a huge barrier to entry—I once saw a review of one of the early Bionicle comics by a comic reviewer who couldn't understand anything about the story thanks to the incredible number of foreign-sounding words.

Hence the use of generic titles for side characters like the Protectors, the use of helpful explanatory subtitles like "Master of Fire" in set names, and the elimination of redundant terms like "Kanohi" ("Mask of Shielding" sounds about as impressive as "Kanohi Hau" but makes a lot more sense to newcomers).

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

It's not as much about saving money (since they could obviously use names like those of the Turaga which have already been cleared by legal), but rather about not overloading the story with information from the get-go. Forcing the audience to memorize an entire lexicon of names and terminology with no similarities to their native language can be a huge barrier to entry—I once saw a review of one of the early Bionicle comics by a comic reviewer who couldn't understand anything about the story thanks to the incredible number of foreign-sounding words.

Hence the use of generic titles for side characters like the Protectors, the use of helpful explanatory subtitles like "Master of Fire" in set names, and the elimination of redundant terms like "Kanohi" ("Mask of Shielding" sounds about as impressive as "Kanohi Hau" but makes a lot more sense to newcomers).

Good points, but the lack of names makes the characters feel like they're not even that--just some generic background figures that have little to no story significance. Even minor characters should receive names, unless the in-story reason is that they don't have names to begin with. Helps differentiate them, because even their bios on the site are entirely void of personal traits.

~Your friendly, neighborhood Shadow

sotpbanner.png

~Credit for Avatar and Banner goes to

NickonAquaMagna~

Furan, Protector of Fire

Eska, Protector of Ice

These names are simply my best guesses. Use them if you like, ignore them if you don't.

Don't I remember whining about how BethSoft wouldn't like that?

Well, I need to whine again.

Wah! Wah! BwethSwoft's gunna swue The Wego Gwoup! Wah! Wah!

LEGO Republic:

The Valkyrie

The "Christmas Brick"

My BZPRPG Profiles

Now a proud member of The Kanohi Force

76561198041367047.png

Furan, Protector of Fire

Eska, Protector of Ice

Don't I remember whining about how BethSoft wouldn't like that?

Well, I need to whine again.

Wah! Wah! BwethSwoft's gunna swue The Wego Gwoup! Wah! Wah!

You did, and I suggested Klipa. (or some variant)

:r: :e: :g: :i: :t: :n: :u: :i:

Elemental Rahi in Gen2, anyone? A write-up for an initial video for a G2 plot

I really wish everyone would stop trying to play join the dots with Gen 1 and Gen 2 though,it seems there's a couple new threads everyday and often they're duplicates of already existing conversations! Or simply parallel them with a slightly new 'twist'! Gen 2 is NEW, it is NOT Gen 1 and it is NOT a continuation. Outside of the characters we already have I personally don't want to see ANY old characters return. I think it will cheapen the whole experience to those of us familiar with the original line...

Those don't quite make sense. You know, 'cause they don't have those weapons.

As for Regit, I like Furan, Buli and Arden, but Klipa, Vatra and Eska don't sound quite right to me. Buli isn't all OK, but it's not bad, it's kinda nice, and I really like Furan and Arden.

LEGO Republic:

The Valkyrie

The "Christmas Brick"

My BZPRPG Profiles

Now a proud member of The Kanohi Force

76561198041367047.png