Bionicle reboot lacking flair?

Something else I should mention about the printed pieces is that they have some gorgeous metallic printing for the silver vents and the thin colored zigzag patterns, which catches the light differently from different angles. I'm always a fan of metallic printing, but here I feel it's particularly ornate and adds a lot of energy to the designs that you can't fully appreciate from photos and promotional art alone.

Here's a pic of Gali's chest plate and here's a pic of Lewa's from my review for The New Elementary. Even in those pics it's hard to fully appreciate what this looks like when it's physically in front of you, but at least you hopefully will be able to see which part of the pattern I'm referring to.

• Upvote 2

I don't see what the Genwunner's expect from this reboot. The old G1 Technic system is likely never to come back, (LoSS is the exception) and CCBS is getting better every year. I'll admit, I hate Hero Factory as much as the next guy, but what Lego's doing with this new series of Bionicle is almost completely different.

We have yet to see a proper CCBS titan, so I guess we can expect Techic to be the ruling choice for them.

• Upvote 1

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

I don't see what the Genwunner's expect from this reboot. The old G1 Technic system is likely never to come back, (LoSS is the exception) and CCBS is getting better every year. I'll admit, I hate Hero Factory as much as the next guy, but what Lego's doing with this new series of Bionicle is almost completely different.

We have yet to see a proper CCBS titan, so I guess we can expect Techic to be the ruling choice for them.

I would not call Lord of Skull Spiders an exception. With luck, there will be many more sets like that. It really shows that the CCBS was never meant to totally replace Technic.

But that really brings up something many people seem miss. The "Technic-ness" of old BIONICLE is not what sets it apart from the new BIONICLE. Really, the new BIONICLE sets use Technic about as extensively as old-school BIONICLE canister sets ever did. And even Hero Factory did not refrain from using Technic for larger sets like Dragon Bolt, Jet Rocka, and Evo XL Machine.

BIONICLE has always been separated to a great extent from mainstream Technic, which is big part of why Technic fans in the AFOL community often thumb their noses at BIONICLE and other constraction themes. Regular LEGO Technic has never been defined by unique, decorative molds the way Throwbots, Roboriders, and BIONICLE were. Rather, most Technic sets have always been very practical and minimalistic compared to BIONICLE sets. Today's Technic sets are about as smooth and streamlined as the CCBS, just without the same amount of articulation or organic shaping. This smoothness helps the sets feel clean and refined, and on some levels, more professional than the likes of this and this which had more decorative shaping and detail.

Edited by Aanchir
  • Upvote 1

I don't see what the Genwunner's expect from this reboot. The old G1 Technic system is likely never to come back, (LoSS is the exception) and CCBS is getting better every year. I'll admit, I hate Hero Factory as much as the next guy, but what Lego's doing with this new series of Bionicle is almost completely different.We have yet to see a proper CCBS titan, so I guess we can expect Techic to be the ruling choice for them.

I would not call Lord of Skull Spiders an exception. With luck, there will be many more sets like that. It really shows that the CCBS was never meant to totally replace Technic.But that really brings up something many people seem miss. The "Technic-ness" of old BIONICLE is not what sets it apart from the new BIONICLE. Really, the new BIONICLE sets use Technic about as extensively as old-school BIONICLE canister sets ever did. And even Hero Factory did not refrain from using Technic for larger sets like Dragon Bolt, Jet Rocka, and Evo XL Machine.BIONICLE has always been separated to a great extent from mainstream Technic, which is big part of why Technic fans in the AFOL community often thumb their noses at BIONICLE and other constraction themes. Regular LEGO Technic has never been defined by unique, decorative molds the way Throwbots, Roboriders, and BIONICLE were. Rather, most Technic sets have always been very practical and minimalistic compared to BIONICLE sets. Today's Technic sets are about as smooth and streamlined as the CCBS, just without the same amount of articulation or organic shaping. This smoothness helps the sets feel clean and refined, and on some levels, more professional than the likes of this and this which had more decorative shaping and detail.

Perfect. That's another aspect I miss so much. I saw the chest plates and I read what you made of them. I just don't feel the paint vibe everyone is talking about. Again, I don't mind them as much, but it just feels out of place. Granted, however, it does looks very detailed.

Catch flies with honey, or catch honeys by being fly.

And your hatred of my opinions is getting really annoying. -_-

Nobody immediately hates an opinion, but you have an oh-so-bright POV on G2. Why do you even bother with it anymore? You can't change TLG's opinion on what building system is best for Bionicle. CCBS is here to stay. You can order that 9 pounds of G1 pieces if you want. Nobody is stopping you. But don't go to G2 threads bragging about it and reminding us for the umpteenth time how you despise CCBS and how you call it skeleball and how it is stupid.

Do I go to the Transformers Official spamming TRUKK NOT MUNKY? No.

Think.

Edited by Rider Of Spiders
  • Upvote 1

"Onua gazes upon the Earth and sees riches. It is our Duty to dig, and our Destiny to find them"

- Aiyetoro

First off, I wish they'd stop with the stickers.

I did think the stickers seemed random and odd. I wouldn't mind stickers, but the style of these ones doesn't really fit what I'd look for. It would be interesting to hear what sort of focus group testing if any went into the sticker designs. It's possible it did and these proved popular. :shrugs:

simply the HF feet, seems really lazy on Lego's part

I think everybody expected them to use HF pieces, since they would probably be using the HF system, as they have. Old Bionicle often re-used old parts. Even if they hadn't, it's practical, and the more new molds, the higher the prices.

I remember every new generation of Toa had new feet, new chest plates

They had new pieces (and so do the Toa Okoto), but not always a lot of them. Takanuva only had the mask and weapon as new. Essentially the same with the two Toa Hagah. And then the "Inika build" fame happened.

I'm not in any way hating in Hero Factory, but if I'm paying $20 for a Bionicle, I want to receive a BIONICLE, know what I'm sayin?

Again, pretty much everybody talking on here about what they expected a return of Bionicle to be like, said they expected the HF system. Including me back when few others were even predicting a return at all. I can't recall anybody saying they expected oldstyle Bionicle pieces. It's not 100% clear that's what you mean, but it sounds that way (no, I don't know what you're saying :P).

You need to understand that setwise, HF was the progression of the sets of Bionicle. The different label and different story (even different story style) are not what counts here; it was always portrayed as a continuation of the natural development of the sets that Bionicle "started" (well, Slizers/Throwbots...). And Bionicle itself periodically advanced its set design while it was active.

So, this is really an artificial distinction.

Some people might say that this is maybe a pilot run to see how the newer generation of kids will respond to the products

Not really a "maybe" -- definitely. And really pretty much every year of every set line is a "pilot" or experimental run. They're never really completely sure how any given line will sell. Right now they're aiming mostly at brand new fans, so it's definitely a pilot run.

But that would be true anyways.

In fact, it would be more so if they abandoned the advancements of HF; today's kids buying the constraction or buildable action figure sets from LEGO are expecting this style.

thus the lack of 100% dedicated parts

I'm not sure how you're using this term. If you mean 100% NEW parts, Bionicle reused parts from Slizers/Throwbots, and other Technic lines (and even a little bit of System, like Kopaka's shields).

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

Sorry, but the printed chests just don't do it for me.

Yeah, I kind of would have guessed that. Your opinions are becoming pretty predictable. -_-

Dear, dear Toa Salvus. We don't HATE your opinions, we DISAGREE with them. What we DO hate is the way you continually try to force your negativity into every possible discussion, or, in the case of an initially negative discussion like this one, the way you dig your heels in and ignore everyone else's well-reasoned counterarguments. And despite your attempts to get chummy-chummy with folks like the original poster of this topic, you're pretty much alone in that. THEY'RE voicing valid (if subjective) criticisms of the new line, and when they do make an assertion that is inaccurate and someone explains it to them, they accept the correction and rephrase their criticism accordingly. Meanwhile, YOU continue to make bogus claims to try to legitimize your irrational hatred (like your preposterous claims that Hero Factory and The Lego Movie didn't have a story, or that Throwbots DID), and when you're called on it you just move on to a different angle to attack the new theme from. It's tiring.

• Upvote 6

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Why is it you have ignored me for the last few weeks and suddenly show up just to start an argument, why don't you do what wind said and ignore me, I have been ignoring you, and hostilities have gone down on the threads, how about we continue to ignore each other after this? But for now I feel that you only acknowledged my existence to retread your disagreement of my opinions, for what?

Yeah, I kind of would have guessed that. Your opinions are becoming pretty predictable. -_-
Dear, dear Toa Salvus. We don't HATE your opinions, we DISAGREE with them. What we DO hate is the way you continually try to force your negativity into every possible discussion, or, in the case of an initially negative discussion like this one, the way you dig your heels in and ignore everyone else's well-reasoned counterarguments. And despite your attempts to get chummy-chummy with folks like the original poster of this topic, you're pretty much alone in that. THEY'RE voicing valid (if subjective) criticisms of the new line, and when they do make an assertion that is inaccurate and someone explains it to them, they accept the correction and rephrase their criticism accordingly. Meanwhile, YOU continue to make bogus claims to try to legitimize your irrational hatred (like your preposterous claims that Hero Factory and The Lego Movie didn't have a story, or that Throwbots DID), and when you're called on it you just move on to a different angle to attack the new theme from. It's tiring.

I hope being chummy isn't a bad thing. I understand that my opinion is unpopular so I'm treading lightly. Besides, the opinions I'm hearing are appreciated and are helping me better understand the reason for the appreciation of the reboot besides the fact it wears the Bionicle name.

Why do we keep having this argument with the exact same people involved? I'm getting really sick of it.

And I'm just sitting here, waiting for the Mods to take true action.

Edited by Chasm
  • Upvote 1

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

To be honest, I've been waiting 5 years for this and it doesn't bother me greatly. I'm just glad to see my favourite toys as a young boy, re-released and re-imagined. It's likely they will put more effort in with the summer wave or the 2016 sets. We will probably see Ekimu and Makuta released as titans either in summer or next year depending on how the story goes.

xZbnlOR.jpg

Click on the banner to check out my YT channel!

Why is it you have ignored me for the last few weeks and suddenly show up just to start an argument, why don't you do what wind said and ignore me, I have been ignoring you, and hostilities have gone down on the threads, how about we continue to ignore each other after this? But for now I feel that you only acknowledged my existence to retread your disagreement of my opinions, for what?

Because I noticed that you hadn't changed YOUR behavior any, continuing to sling hate in any topic you could, regardless of whether your criticisms had any basis in reality. The only difference that abstaining from arguments with you was making was that other people had to call you on your ridiculousness instead. And in that case, why not pick up the slack myself?

Why do we keep having this argument with the exact same people involved? I'm getting really sick of it.

And I'm just sitting here, waiting for the Mods to take true action.

Same people? I've been working very hard to ignore ToaSalvus's vitriol for a few weeks now. But he continues to spew hatred everywhere he goes, and when I don't call him out on it, other people end up having to in my stead.

Until he infringes an actual rule, there's not much the mods can do. I'm hoping he just moves on to another site of his own volition before that happens, since he doesn't seem to have anything nice to say about anything here on BZP.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Something else I should mention about the printed pieces is that they have some gorgeous metallic printing for the silver vents and the thin colored zigzag patterns, which catches the light differently from different angles. I'm always a fan of metallic printing, but here I feel it's particularly ornate and adds a lot of energy to the designs that you can't fully appreciate from photos and promotional art alone.Here's a pic of Gali's chest plate and here's a pic of Lewa's from my review for The New Elementary. Even in those pics it's hard to fully appreciate what this looks like when it's physically in front of you, but at least you hopefully will be able to see which part of the pattern I'm referring to.

I completely agree with you. The chest printing is beautiful and adds great detail to the figures.

To ToaSalvus and everyone involved: I believe I've given one or two warnings about this already. I am getting tired of seeing topics turn into sites of personal attacks and arguments.

Work it out privately. Come to me or another staff member if you need mediation. But this needs to stop.

I'm sorry if this is blunt, but this behavior is not what I want to see, and I'm sure that others agree.

• Upvote 3

To ToaSalvus and everyone involved: I believe I've given one or two warnings about this already. I am getting tired of seeing topics turn into sites of personal attacks and arguments.

Work it out privately. Come to me or another staff member if you need mediation. But this needs to stop.

I'm sorry if this is blunt, but this behavior is not what I want to see, and I'm sure that others agree.

Sorry, I've just been going through a lot right now, and I'm sorry to bring those negative feelings here, :'( I assure you it will not happen again. Sorry... :'(

• Upvote 1

Honestly, I agree with this. They just seem like random abstract zig zags and angular shapes with no rhyme or reason to their existence. Its like they had no idea what to put there and got some random guy to doodle stuff on them to fill up the space.

Not entirely related, but I also don't like the art direction of the animations either. The style is just so extremely cheap and generic feeling and I can't really take people seriously who think it resembles the quality of samurai jack. I like that in the new Bionicle show they went with the tribal feel of the original run though, but there's nothing else about its style that really appeals to me.

Edited by hiddenderek
  • Upvote 1

This is what people (including me, formerly, to an extent) complaining about the animation style seem to have missed about their intent:

https://scontent-a-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/10606261_1511855112388900_4327967983274374357_n.jpg?oh=a7626e8ff26d3d40a3a86b8b6817d28f&oe=5544987D

Think about it...

• Upvote 2

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

Oddly enough, I feel indifferent about the animations. They seem (cute?) and grabs my eye as they are animations to get you ready for the new sets. But when it transfers onto my sets, that's when my mind kind of goes like "huh?". But like I said earlier, if it's war paint then thats cool I guess, but it really doesn't seem that way. It looks out of place for what Bionicle is. My thoughts though and I just shared some concern that maybe Lego was getting lazy, but that's already been discussed.

Also I see a lot of people talking about CCBS and I for one would like to state (if I already haven't) that I don't mind CCBS from technic or whatever the previous generation is called (if someone could tell me), it's just that it's weird seeing hero factory feet on a toa when the protectors get a brand new mold for their feet (I think).

I like the story animations. They're bright and colorful, and there are some good style moments (Like the part where the hunched-over Protector of Fire throws off his robe to reveal he's actually a buff guy with a cannon on his back). The only thing I'm worried about is that we might not see enough of them.

The toa-specific ad animations are a bit too repetitive and over-the-top for me, and it's hilarious how one guy does all the voices (Including the most gruff and masculine Gali I've ever heard).

Edited by Latrodectus
  • Upvote 3