Do you think it's 'unorthodox' to start disassembling sets

Owlexander

I mean for MOC'ing or just to disassemble them and be done with the pieces or save them for later.

EDIT: Also, the reason I'm asking this is because I just took apart my new 2015 Kopaka & Protector of Ice to make my self MOC I've been dying to build.

Edited by Forgeta

:smiletakua: :m_o: :w: :l: :e: :x: :a: :n: :m_d: :e: :r: :smiletol:

76561198067723583.pngAddFriend.png

|

"We are the Turaga of the new generation." ~Owlexander

YouTube - Imgur - Flickr - Bionicle RPG Chat

I usually keep my sets around until I realize there's a part I need on one of them. Then they end up being slowly scavenged for parts until I just give in and throw them into my MOCing collection. It's rare that I'll get a set just to use the parts unless it's a duplicate (which is also rare).

• Upvote 2

I don't see a problem with it...heck, how else does one build MOCs? I also disassemble some of my older sets just because I don't have a lot of room to keep them all together, but I always keep their parts either in a bag of some kind or in the canister if I still have it. That way I know I won't lose any.

:mirunu: Lewa0111 Nuva :mirunu:

• Upvote 2

My Script Comedies: | The Nuva Inn Remake | Ask Matau! Remake (ACCEPTING QUESTIONS!) |

My Prose Comedies: | The BZ-Nui Hack Wars | Mata Nova |

ANNOUNCEMENT: The Nuva Inn is BACK IN BUSINESS!! (See my blog for more info on my writing projects)

ANNOUNCEMENT 2: Looking for voice actors and artists/animators for an upcoming video project! PM me if interested!

I personally don't disassemble any of sets that often once I build them, but I don't think its 'unorthodox' if anyone does want to take them apart for any given reason. That is the fun of having a Lego set; you can choose whether to keep the set together or make a MOC out of the parts. It's totally up to you. :)

• Upvote 1

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

I usually keep my sets around until I realize there's a part I need on one of them. Then they end up being slowly scavenged for parts until I just give in and throw them into my MOCing collection. It's rare that I'll get a set just to use the parts unless it's a duplicate (which is also rare).

Yeah, it happens to me a lot. It happened to my Witch Doctor set - I kept using the ball joints, pistons and limbs for MOCing. It's unfortunate though, since so many parts of that set are scattered around, and it's very unlikely I'll be able to completely restore him.

• Upvote 1

< -< =<o>= >- >

Ha! I tricked you into reading my signature!

< -< =<o>= >- >

Depends on how attached to the character and the finished set you are. It's going to be awhile before I scrap many of the Toa for parts simply because Kopaka and Tahu - why would you cut off their arms or legs? Plus team line-up. 

I think it's going to be harder to resist scrapping Lewa, the jungle Protector, and Onua. That's because I will have so many shades of green between them and Speeda that it will be hard to resist combining. And Onua has purple and other unique parts. 

Really, it's a personal decision. Everyone has their own mix of die-hard collector, character nostalgia/affection, and consummate MoCist - which wins out in these situations is unique to each person. So not sure how "unorthodox" comes in here. :shrugs: 

• Upvote 1

Ok, so me being late at night and wanting to be quick about this left a crucial detail out of this post, I'm talking about when a wave first comes out like I just disassembled my 2015 Kopaka & Protector of Ice sets to build my self MOC I've been dying to make (won't go into much detail about the MOC since it doesn't belong here, maybe some other time ;P).

|

Regarding your above comment, I usually keep my sets together for a while, then start picking at them until they start to look ugly, at which point I disassemble them. I plan on keeping the 2015 Toa together, at least until I own all of the sets. Then I will definitely disassemble all or most of them.

• Upvote 1

IetTsFQ.png

Regarding your above comment, I usually keep my sets together for a while, then start picking at them until they start to look ugly, at which point I disassemble them. I plan on keeping the 2015 Toa together, at least until I own all of the sets. Then I will definitely disassemble all or most of them.

I think what I'll do is use the pieces from the sets I already have to make stuffs, then just rebuy the sets at a later date if I want them again.

|

Most of my sets sit around constructed for about a week before I figure out that there are parts I need for a MOC (unless I bought the set specifically for parts). Every now and then I get the urge to rebuild something, but they all end up in the same place sooner or later. Except the very few that stay together because of sentimental value.

So nah, I don't think that it's unorthodox. I think that it's something that's meant to be done.

• Upvote 1

20630367175_89803378cf_m.jpg19614359428_333d55fdd4_m.jpg20062539664_c9b483986a_m.jpg

I have an Instagram page where you can see these pictures and more like them! Just click

HERE!

I think there are 2 kinds of people, purists and MoCists. I'm a purist so although I have almost all of my sets dismantled and stored away, they're all stored complete. If I want to build anything then I have to make it from whatever spare pieces I can find in my spares tubs. It's a different matter with the sets I trade as they're often missing pieces, sometimes dozens! In this case I'll often end up scavenging parts from my own sets in order to complete those which are sold. I constantly have multiple Bricklink lists on the go to help me keep track of what sets are missing what pieces though so everything is kept track of one way or another :D

• Upvote 1

Check out my Bionicle store on Bricklink here!

> > > Bionic Bricks < < <

Let me know if you can help me find these last few collectibles!

Masks%20footer4_zpspqs4myrt.png

Also looking for WILD KRAATA and a VMKK Yo!!!

That's exactly what happened to most of my HF sets.

bzpower selfmoc smiley.gif

There's nothing wrong with disassembling sets. Most of my G1 sets are still together, but that's more because the CCBS provides a better building experience for me, and because I don't want to risk cracking any more of the old joints.

Of course, probably not a good idea to disassemble ALL of your sets unless you have some sort of storage and sorting solution. It's often easier to borrow pieces from a completed model you know contains the piece you need than it is to dig that specific piece out of a massive bin.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

For me, it depends on whether the set means something to me or not. I've never disassembled the first set I've got, And that applies to a lot of BIONICLE sets I still have built, though for some it's more out of their differences to the CCBS system. Most of the sets I've acquired I have inevitably disassembled, keeping only a few intact. 

On Bota Magna, everything is about to fall apart.