Which Hero Factory sets are best for MOCing?

As someone just getting back into Bionicle, I never bought any Hero Factory sets. Not because I didn't like them, mind you, but because 2008-2010 just turned me off of Bionicle and Lego in general and the 2011 Hero Factory sets looked like more of the same lame Agori-style build. Now that I'm getting back into Bionicle, I've noticed just how good a lot of the CCBS Hero Factory sets look, and I have no CCBS parts outside the Bionicles I purchased. I also gave away most of my pre-2015 Bionicle parts to kids since I wasn't using them after I left Bionicle.

Do the veteran Hero Factory builders here have any suggestions for good sets to use for CCBS parts (and to build too)? I'd prefer sets that aren't predominantly silver, gunmetal, or grey, since I've had enough of those colors for one lifetime. :P

Edited by Latrodectus
  • Upvote 1

Yes, definitely Witch Doctor (though all the ball joints are red, which is a real shame). Another few sets I've liked are Evo's XL Machine, Tunneler Beast, and Rocka's Stealth Machine. Depending on what colors you're looking for, they can provide a good amount of parts, but the best thing about them is they each have a lot of the smaller joints and other valuable parts. I'm not an avid collector of Hero Factory by any means, but I've at least found those useful.

Since black isn't out of the question, allow me to bring up 44029 Queen Beast vs. Furno, Evo & Stormer. It's got a little bit of grey, but that can be overlooked. Anyway, excluding your mentioned colors, it provides five, that's right, five, different colors for you to use (sure, there's more than that, but I mean colors that come in a decent quantity and aren't ones you wanted to leave out). These colors are black, yellow, trans lime green, sky blue, and gold. However, these colors are limited to specific pieces in the set, like limb pieces and armor, but they're cool pieces nonetheless. Also, the Crystal Beast set has some nice transparent pieces.

But if you want real MOCing, look no further than the Breez polybag. :P

mindeth the cobwebs

I definitely agree with Witch Doctor, but Evo XL Machine also has a lot of great parts, including several that didn't exist when Witch Doctor was released. And Evo XL Machine might be easier to find on clearance in brick-and-mortar stores (whereas Witch Doctor would be hard to find except online).

• Upvote 2

Depends on what parts you want.

I may or may not have purchased Witch Doctor for the sweet parts, but in hindsight, I should have bought two, as my Witch Doctor set is barely together anymore.

If you want unique pieces, I would recommend some of the more varied sets. Brain Attack and Breakout sets are the place to go for that.

• Upvote 1

< -< =<o>= >- >

Ha! I tricked you into reading my signature!

< -< =<o>= >- >

• 1 month later...

So the Witch Doctor is good for parts? I was interested in how many black, red, and white parts he had. I just purchased on off of Ebay for a good price, along with the red Furno mech from the last line of the HERO FACTORY theme that I hope to use both for spare parts to make BIONICLE MOCs with. He looks good for building frames and limbs with.