A Bionicle Game By Obsidian/BethSoft

IcarusBen

28 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

So, back in the Bionicle Game by Telltale topic, I recommended an open-world FPSRPG with crafting, mask collecting, leveling, etc. You'd be able to create a Toa from scratch and travel across the island in search of masks, while being able to directly influence the fate of the island. Of course, I thought either BethSoft or Obsidian should develop it. What do you guys think about that?

LEGO Republic:

The Valkyrie

The "Christmas Brick"

My BZPRPG Profiles

Now a proud member of The Kanohi Force

76561198041367047.png

I am not sure Lego would have custom Toa, but probably could have customizable weapons and extra armor. I would also like the different Toa be different classes. Like Pohato could have an ability to dash in one direction every sixty seconds, Tahu is a dual wielding melee character with a fire forcefield, Kopaka can use his shield to block enemy attacks and freeze opponents, and Onua can use a power attack every thirty seconds. 

Edited by Spiffy247

A fish wielding vampire. That's Spiffy.

I thought about this for awhile too. I thought that the game would take place on Spherus Magna with different biomes to explore with the ability to choose between being either Agori or Matoran race, and steadily gaining protodermis and leveling up until you evolve into a Glatorian or Toa.

I am not sure Lego would have custom Toa, but probably could have customizable weapons and extra armor. I would also like the different Toa be different classes. Like Pohato could have an ability to dash in one direction every sixty seconds, Tahu is a dual wielding melee character, Kopaka can use his shield to block enemy attacks, and Onua can use a power attack every thirty seconds. 

The worst RPG sin, in my mind, is not letting the player create their own character. 

Plus, isn't LEGO all about customization?

LEGO Republic:

The Valkyrie

The "Christmas Brick"

My BZPRPG Profiles

76561198041367047.png

I am not sure Lego would have custom Toa, but probably could have customizable weapons and extra armor. I would also like the different Toa be different classes. Like Pohato could have an ability to dash in one direction every sixty seconds, Tahu is a dual wielding melee character, Kopaka can use his shield to block enemy attacks, and Onua can use a power attack every thirty seconds. 

The worst RPG sin, in my mind, is not letting the player create their own character. 

Plus, isn't LEGO all about customization?

I just don't think that we would get to make a Toa if it would be true to the story.

Have you, by any chance, played either Skyrim or FO:NV?

No other developer, in my experience, has ever done an open-world FPSRPG better than BethSoft or Obsidian. And don't bring up Borderlands, it wasn't very good IMHO and it's barely an RPG.

LEGO Republic:

The Valkyrie

The "Christmas Brick"

My BZPRPG Profiles

76561198041367047.png

YES YES YES A THOUSAND TIMES YES!!

This is what I have thought was lacking in every single other BIONICLE game produced. None of them had that open-world sense of exploration that made the original MNOG so popular. Something like this would be like MNOG on steroids. I'd definitely buy it!

:mirunu: Lewa0111 Nuva :mirunu:

My Script Comedies: | The Nuva Inn Remake | Ask Matau! Remake (ACCEPTING QUESTIONS!) |

My Prose Comedies: | The BZ-Nui Hack Wars | Mata Nova |

ANNOUNCEMENT: The Nuva Inn is BACK IN BUSINESS!! (See my blog for more info on my writing projects)

ANNOUNCEMENT 2: Looking for voice actors and artists/animators for an upcoming video project! PM me if interested!

No other developer, in my experience, has ever done an open-world FPSRPG better than BethSoft or Obsidian. And don't bring up Borderlands, it wasn't very good IMHO and it's barely an RPG.

I have longed for Bethesda to make a Bionicle game ever since setting foot in Skyrim. Up to four player co-op would be interesting.

Edited by UngluedBike

hTeXGIU.png

Also, if you're a resident of the UK and like Bionicle, go ahead and join

us at this awesome Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/BFUK7/

I have longed for Bethesda to make a Bionicle game ever since setting foot in Skyrim. Up to four player co-op would be interesting.

That would be really neat. I like the Elder Scrolls games.

Bethesda AND Obsidian.

Bethesda is very good at landscape, making a world to explore. Obsidian is good with quests and story.

And since this is both or either, expect a lot of bugs at release no matter what, with an eventual inevitable Unofficial Fan Patch. :P

On Bota Magna, everything is about to fall apart.

No Bionicle game would EVER work with custom Toa. Remember all the ridiculous fanmade sets that were turned into Dark Hunters and added to canon? They're just hideous and awful and now we all have to live with them being 'official' even though they should have just been given a pat on the back and sent on their way... If we get a new game then it needs to be canon and that means the writers will need to consider everything they include in it very carefully. The playable character will have to be someone entirely forgettable or an unknown future hero like Takua. Otherwise it'll just be a big mess and noone will get what they want!

As far as the game itself goes I think there are some great concepts being discussed in the thread that spawned this very idea. I don't really want to see every single one of those ideas turn into it's own seperate topic though so I'm going to take a step back from this one unless all the other game discussions (I think there are at least three now all active!) are dead.

Check out my Bionicle store on Bricklink here!

> > > Bionic Bricks < < <

Let me know if you can help me find these last few collectibles!

Masks%20footer4_zpspqs4myrt.png

Also looking for WILD KRAATA and a VMKK Yo!!!

I would say it's pretty short-sighted of you to say that no BIONICLE game would work with custom Toa. It can work, you're just acting as if every single variation of a custom Toa a player creates will be added to the canon or that only one combination is canon, which is not necessarily the case in the former and definitely not the case in the latter.  Custom Toa =/= noncanon. Just call it The Unknown Hero or something when referred to in the story, it can work and it has worked for other franchises before very well. And by 'big mess' and 'no-one will get what they want', I'm pretty sure you mean you won't get what you want - some people have different tastes. Have a little optimism. There is nothing about a custom Toa that would make it a 'big mess'. It can just as easily be a big mess with a pre-defined character. 

There's even already an example of this in G1 BIONICLE: the Hero Agori. Other than their tribe and their exploits, a lot is ambiguous about them.

The obsession with 'canon' bonkle fans have is ridiculous and unnecessary because this is a LEGO theme and LEGO is all about creativity.

• Upvote 1

On Bota Magna, everything is about to fall apart.

The trouble is though, it's not JUST the fans that have this obsession. That's what the problem was with the dark hunters which all got canonised for no good reason. And most of them were pretty awful. People complain that there are too many species in the Gen1 universe and then they add 50 new ones for now reason to canon. 

Forgive my pessimism but I highly doubt I'll ever get what I want from a Bionicle game because it'll inevitably be aimed at children less than half my age :D Perhaps that's something my previous comment didn't reflect though as the kids the game will be made for probably won't care about (por even understand) canon wheras they'll definitely enjoy building their own Toa. I still think it's a really bad idea mind you... You're right about the ambiguous hero though, every elder scrolls game in history has done it actually so it's a very good point. Of course, Lego is set-centric so I imagine if they made a game they'd be quite keen to release any big characters in set form. This wouldn't be possible with an ambiguous custom hero. It would certainly fuel an awful lot of MoCs though!

Plus, again, we're looking for a game by BethSoft and Obsidian. It'll inevitably have multiple endings, which means that not every combination can be canon. Most likely, one ending will be canon and no custom character will be, just a generic "Chosen One."

LEGO Republic:

The Valkyrie

The "Christmas Brick"

My BZPRPG Profiles

76561198041367047.png

Don't think that would happen, especially since Beth/Obsidian have the luxury of taking years to create games. A Bionicle game would have to be developed and released in a tight time-frame to be relevant to the years sets. It wouldn't be as large as many people would hope (plus, Bethsoft/Obsidian aren't really known to make game based on existing properties)

-NotS

tahubanner.jpg

Assuming something like this were a feasible possibility...I'd have to go with Obsidian. Both companies really good at crafting open worlds, but Obsidian is considerably better at telling a thoughtful story than Bethesda these days.

As for customization, why not let the player choose which of the six Toa to play as, make a party-based game where you control all of them, or have different levels in which you control different characters?

Edited by John Smith

No Bionicle game would EVER work with custom Toa. Remember all the ridiculous fanmade sets that were turned into Dark Hunters and added to canon? They're just hideous and awful and now we all have to live with them being 'official' even though they should have just been given a pat on the back and sent on their way... If we get a new game then it needs to be canon and that means the writers will need to consider everything they include in it very carefully. The playable character will have to be someone entirely forgettable or an unknown future hero like Takua. Otherwise it'll just be a big mess and noone will get what they want!

A video game would be unlikely to give people much freedom with building Toa. The worst you could probably do with a Toa character creator is use clashing colors. 

As for canon, Tales of the Tahunga allowed you to customize your Matoran's colors; Takua's canon colors were just the default set. If the video game is canon, there will be something similar.

Bethesda already released a Bionicle game back in 2003. It was called Morrowind. The plot was about how an outsider had to unite the island's various tribes together to defeat an evil god-like being (who infects the island's inhabitants to make them do his bidding), with the final battle taking place in the Big Bad's lair (Located underneath a volcano).

In all seriousness, however, the closest I imagine we'd ever get to a full-fledged Bionicle RPG would be if someone did a massive Morrowind overhaul. Of course, this would still include changing the game's mechanics (Ex: Powers like fire, ice, etc would be limited to only the Toa), replacing all the dialogue (Which Morrowind is very heavy on), and overall changing parts of Vvardenfell's layout. So, while a lot of people (Me included) would love a free roaming Bionicle RPG with a massive open world, it just doesn't seem feasible at the moment (Especially if Lego is going to simplify this generation so much, which probably won't leave much room for lore and world building).

• Upvote 2

why is this happening

Bethesda already released a Bionicle game back in 2003. It was called Morrowind. The plot was about how an outsider had to unite the island's various tribes together to defeat an evil god-like being (who infects the island's inhabitants to make them do his bidding), with the final battle taking place in the Big Bad's lair (Located underneath a volcano).

Ha, nice spot! Morrowind opened my eyes to TES series and remains my most beloved title to date, not to mention the modability of it is just endless. Of course you'd be better off working with Oblivion now if you wanted to create something new and there's no doubt it could be done (there is AT LEAST one mod that lets you play as Toa on TESNexus but I forget which game it is for) The problem with such modding projects is that they're just too ambitious. Look at Tamriel Rebuilt (which I believe is still kicking) They still aren't done recreating Morrowind and Bethesda has released two new regions in official games (not counting DLC) and THE WHOLE OF TAMRIEL in an (albeit very lackluster) MMO. Fan projects are great but for fans like us real life has to come first which results in very few of them ever being finished...

• Upvote 1

As long as the game doesn't start with some Roman guy asking "WHO ARE YOU" starting with a Large Ham voice and shifting to that emotionless drone.

The voice acting in Morrowind, yeah, wasn't all that fantastic. Of course, bad voice acting doesn't mean bad gameplay, story, graphics or music (oh, by the Divines, that title music) and it kinda has it's own Narm Charm.

LEGO Republic:

The Valkyrie

The "Christmas Brick"

My BZPRPG Profiles

76561198041367047.png

Voice acting didn't really feature in Morrowind did it? Awful lot of reading though! As for the music. Yeah man... That title music!!!

Why stop at four player? Why not six, one for each element. :3

:smiletakua: :m_o: :w: :l: :e: :x: :a: :n: :m_d: :e: :r: :smiletol:

76561198067723583.pngAddFriend.png

|

"We are the Turaga of the new generation." ~Owlexander

YouTube - Imgur - Flickr - Bionicle RPG Chat

• 2 weeks later...

Ha, nice spot! Morrowind opened my eyes to TES series and remains my most beloved title to date, not to mention the modability of it is just endless. Of course you'd be better off working with Oblivion now if you wanted to create something new and there's no doubt it could be done (there is AT LEAST one mod that lets you play as Toa on TESNexus but I forget which game it is for) The problem with such modding projects is that they're just too ambitious. Look at Tamriel Rebuilt (which I believe is still kicking) They still aren't done recreating Morrowind and Bethesda has released two new regions in official games (not counting DLC) and THE WHOLE OF TAMRIEL in an (albeit very lackluster) MMO. Fan projects are great but for fans like us real life has to come first which results in very few of them ever being finished...

It's Skyrim. I have a Toa of Stone character, named Rangitira Hei-Mahi, and I have to say, i love shielding myself from bandits with my Hau and hurling boulders at people. xD I just wish there were more kanohi, torso armor, and weapons/tools.

And ever since i played KOTOR, I have always wanted a full-on, open world RPG set in the (now G1) Bionicle Universe; and currently I want there to be one that takes place like 200 years after the Battle of Bara Magna. I have some lore I have been working on that would be prefect for something that looks as good as Skyrim but with the gameplay of Morrowind or Oblivion.

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Spherus Magna redo | Tzais-Kuluu  |  Pushing Back The Tide  |  Last Words  |  Black Coronation  | Blue Man Bound | Visions of Thasos   ن

We are all but grey specks in a dark complex before a single white light