Wildlife of Okoto

The Island of Mata Nui was home to many kinds of animals. There were the impressive 2001 Rahi sets like the Muaka and the Tarakavas, but there were also other beasts like Mahi goats, Gukko birds, Takea sharks, Kofo-Jaga, Ussal crabs, and all manner of miscellaneous critters. 

So far, the only wildlife we've seen from Okoto in set form are the various Skull Spider breeds and the Lord of Skull Spiders. However, there are signs of other creatures; the website entry for the Region of Jungle mentions "savage wildlife" and the picture of the Water Tribe village has fish in it. 

What beasts do you expect or hope to see on Okoto? 

Edited by Latrodectus
  • Upvote 2

Hmmm.

I think the introduction of wildlife in the background would be a nice touch. And if I were part of the story team, I'd have it that there is a large, dangerous breed of beasts to each Region of Okoto. For example, the Region of Water has a giant creature that would be a cross between an angler fish, a whale, and a shark (think the Ancient Sea Behemoth from the Pit).

If not, I'd still like to see some nice little touches of wildlife.

Edited by Professor Turnip

< -< =<o>= >- >

Ha! I tricked you into reading my signature!

< -< =<o>= >- >

Well, fish are very likely. The Jungle would.likely hold a lot of wildlife able to avoid the spiders just by being faster/stealthier. Sane goes for the cave and desert regions. Not a lot of creatures like polar conditions, so it's possible those have been driven off. I can't tiink of any animals that live in volcanic conditions alone, so doubt anything would've been there in the first place.

:r: :e: :g: :i: :t: :n: :u: :i:

Elemental Rahi in Gen2, anyone? A write-up for an initial video for a G2 plot

I really wish everyone would stop trying to play join the dots with Gen 1 and Gen 2 though,it seems there's a couple new threads everyday and often they're duplicates of already existing conversations! Or simply parallel them with a slightly new 'twist'! Gen 2 is NEW, it is NOT Gen 1 and it is NOT a continuation. Outside of the characters we already have I personally don't want to see ANY old characters return. I think it will cheapen the whole experience to those of us familiar with the original line...

I'm glad someone raised this topic as I'm interested in seeing a return of nature too. Gen1 had some pretty interesting creature designs, I particularly liked the smaller ones and the master builder set made some excellent Rahi! 

As far as Gen2 goes, will they still be called Rahi? The Toa are still called Toa (in some places) as a nod towards the old fans. The Protectors haven't been called Turaga though (if indeed that's what they are) and the villagers aren't matoran either. So would the wildlife return as Rahi or just as wildlife?

Check out my Bionicle store on Bricklink here!

> > > Bionic Bricks < < <

Let me know if you can help me find these last few collectibles!

Masks%20footer4_zpspqs4myrt.png

Also looking for WILD KRAATA and a VMKK Yo!!!

So besides the potential summer 2015 sets as more "skull" enemies, I would love to see more wildlife. But with Lego making sure everything is kept simple, I dont expect them to go into any depth with it.

audio_narration_project_banner_wide.jpg

Bionicle: ANP aims to create narrated versions of all the Bionicle books, with voice actors for each character, and music taken from various media to enhance the story. Check here if you're interested in voicing a character, and here for the chapters that've already been released!

Formerly: Tahu Nuva 3.0

Looking for a Bionicle Beanie. Black one with the symbol on it. Contact me if you are willing to sell

I'd love to see some dangerous tigers, scorpions, and giant crabs. And dragons! I'd like to see more original rahi too like the original Bionicle had, but I'm less sure of how well they would work here.

But definitely dragons. It's not Ninjago, but you gotta admit that would be cool!

• Upvote 1

Well, since this time around the Rahi (or equivalent) are no longer the focus like they were in 2001, I'm not surprised we aren't seeing much of them yet. Probably if/when we get a MNOG-like exploration game or something similar, maybe even in the upcoming novels, we'll see them around in the background.

:mirunu: Lewa0111 Nuva :mirunu:

• Upvote 1

My Script Comedies: | The Nuva Inn Remake | Ask Matau! Remake (ACCEPTING QUESTIONS!) |

My Prose Comedies: | The BZ-Nui Hack Wars | Mata Nova |

ANNOUNCEMENT: The Nuva Inn is BACK IN BUSINESS!! (See my blog for more info on my writing projects)

ANNOUNCEMENT 2: Looking for voice actors and artists/animators for an upcoming video project! PM me if interested!

I don't think a dragon would be a good move. Not a stereotypical dragon anyway... They used a lot of good designs last time round, the scorpion Nui Jaga being one of my favourites. I think the key to doing it well again (if they make any creature based sets) would be to pick a cool subject animal from the real world first and then altering it enough to make it cool. A large bird of prey could be a good stand in for a dragon. Maybe something like a Rhino or other horned creature (like the Dinos) Tigers are a pretty neat suggestion too. I guess they would also need to think about environments as we have the same distinct elemental zones as in Gen1. Maybe something like a Polar bear for Ko-Koto. In which case a fire based creature like a dragon for Ta-Koto actually kind of makes sense... Some sort of Monkey in the jungle and change that bird of prey to a vulture for the desert? The possibilities are pretty much endless, but it does seem unlikely we'll get beast sets on the same level as we did in 2001, if at all, which is a shame I think.

• Upvote 1

One of the most endearing and intriguing aspects of the wildlife in early BIONICLE was how weird it all was. Instead of your standard lions, tigers, and bears, oh my, BIONICLE's wilds were populated by giant scorpions, crabs, hive insects, and whatever the heck Tarakava were supposed to be. Even the Muaka and Kane-Ra, the most "ordinary" creatures on the island, had massive treads in place of hind legs. I hope Okoto's ecosystems are just as bizarre and out-of-the-box as Mata Nui's. (Making them out of combiners or alternate models, as NotS suggested above, would be one way to accomplish that.)

Still, we may not see any wildlife on Okoto. The story team seems to be avoiding any kind of worldbuilding this time around. (Well, besides the strange details we see in the animations, such as the statues in the desert temple.) I think that's an awful shame, but I can understand their motivations.

• Upvote 3
"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
-- Harlan Ellison

Still, we may not see any wildlife on Okoto. The story team seems to be avoiding any kind of worldbuilding this time around. (Well, besides the strange details we see in the animations, such as the statues in the desert temple.) I think that's an awful shame, but I can understand their motivations.

Surely it's all down to how well LEGO thinks that beast-sets sell?

gZsNWyr.png

(Credit to Nik the Three for the banner)

Yes... and since Lord of Skull Spiders is just about the least popular set they've ever sold, I doubt they'll have a favorable opinion of beast sets. :/

"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
-- Harlan Ellison

Yes... and since Lord of Skull Spiders is just about the least popular set they've ever sold, I doubt they'll have a favorable opinion of beast sets. :/

Just think of how well the beasts introduced in Hero Factory did when thinking of this. Then again, think of how well Hero Factory as a whole did when thinking of this.

Anyway, it would be nice to see some wildlife, but I do not think we will ever see it due to whatever else will be going on in the main story. I mean, why focus on a cow's eating habits when you could focus on a battle between a hero and a villain?

• Upvote 1

You're definitely jumping the gun in judging LoSS's reception based solely on early reviews by adult fans. There's no telling how well it will sell, but from what I've seen public reception of the set has been a great deal more positive than early reviews would suggest. And considering it'll be the only dedicated villain set until at least the summer, I imagine it'll be fairly popular with new fans who just want a villain to go with their first Toa, whether or not it has the posability longtime fans have come to expect.

• Upvote 2

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

You're definitely jumping the gun in judging LoSS's reception based solely on early reviews by adult fans. There's no telling how well it will sell, but from what I've seen public reception of the set has been a great deal more positive than early reviews would suggest. And considering it'll be the only dedicated villain set until at least the summer, I imagine it'll be fairly popular with new fans who just want a villain to go with their first Toa, whether or not it has the posability longtime fans have come to expect.

I agree with this, where did you get that information from? Is it just a personal opinion? I don't really rate the LoSS very highly myself but that doesn't mean the whole world agrees.

The fact of the matter though is that the LoSS is NOT a particularly good looking set (certainly one of the weakest of the initial release) and they could undoubtedly have done better. So even it it has performed badly, that's not because people don't want to buy beast sets but more because people don't want to buy badly designed beast sets. 

All matter of opinion of course, I do agree that it's probably the weakest performing set though...

• Upvote 1

I agree with this, where did you get that information from? Is it just a personal opinion? I don't really rate the LoSS very highly myself but that doesn't mean the whole world agrees.

The fact of the matter though is that the LoSS is NOT a particularly good looking set (certainly one of the weakest of the initial release) and they could undoubtedly have done better. So even it it has performed badly, that's not because people don't want to buy beast sets but more because people don't want to buy badly designed beast sets. 

All matter of opinion of course, I do agree that it's probably the weakest performing set though...

He's number 7 on my list of favorite sets of this wave. He looks like a demon spider, which is pretty sick.

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

Having near to no wildlife would probably do more harm to Okoto than otherwise. Okoto is apparently a natural, pristine island, so having no wildlife would totally undermine the natural aspect of Okoto.

Perhaps this is part of the story though. Maybe Okoto is only populated by peaceful creatures such as fish and birds, making the Skull Spiders a much more formidable foe, as the islanders wouldn't know how to control or fight such aggressive creatures.

• Upvote 3

< -< =<o>= >- >

Ha! I tricked you into reading my signature!

< -< =<o>= >- >

Combiners would be nice, or even better...anyone remember that old 13-in-one Rahi builder set they released around '03? It was basically a bunch of parts with instructions for all different Mata Nui-era Rahi. I still have a Takea shark sitting there in my collection. I would LOVE it if they did something like this again. I'd probably buy more than one, too.

:mirunu: Lewa0111 Nuva :mirunu:

• Upvote 1

My Script Comedies: | The Nuva Inn Remake | Ask Matau! Remake (ACCEPTING QUESTIONS!) |

My Prose Comedies: | The BZ-Nui Hack Wars | Mata Nova |

ANNOUNCEMENT: The Nuva Inn is BACK IN BUSINESS!! (See my blog for more info on my writing projects)

ANNOUNCEMENT 2: Looking for voice actors and artists/animators for an upcoming video project! PM me if interested!

The Master Builder Set is very cool. I managed to get one by sheer luck in a big lot of stuff I bought a while back! I agree, something similar in CCBS/technic would be really cool. I'd expect it to be a much more detailed and expensive set this time around though. We could hypothetically see one net year after the defeat of the skull spiders as a sort of 'Return of nature' story tie in...

Makes me wonder: what if Okoto is, at its core, not a natural place? It's shape is uncannily perfect, it's environments are cleanly divided by mountains, and, as far as we know, nothing much bad happened until Makuta used the Mask of Ultimate Power. Maybe the elemental forces of Okoto are what keep it how it was designed, and the Mask interfered with these?

• Upvote 1

( The bunny slippers hiss and slither into the shadows. ) -Takuaka: Toa of Time

What if the Toa you know best were not destined to be? Interchange: The epic begins

Some of my friends and acquaintances have gone out to buy BIONICLE sets, and found that all of the sets are gone -- except the Lord of Skull Spiders. That's the only evidence on which I based that claim, and I'm willing to admit that it might be wrong. It's certainly not up to scientific standards. It's just the impression I got from others' accounts.

Personally, I am ambivalent about the set. The fact that it has six legs does bother me... but then again, almost none of the many arthropods in BIONICLE have had the right number of limbs, so maybe I should just learn to let it go. :P

-- Harlan Ellison

Makes me wonder: what if Okoto is, at its core, not a natural place? It's shape is uncannily perfect, it's environments are cleanly divided by mountains, and, as far as we know, nothing much bad happened until Makuta used the Mask of Ultimate Power. Maybe the elemental forces of Okoto are what keep it how it was designed, and the Mask interfered with these?

The Bionicle insert in the latest Lego Magazine explained that, actually. The Protectors have, over the course of generations, used the elemental powers in their masks to shape the island to suit their needs. Thus, each elemental tribe ended up partitioning off a section of the island and tailoring it according to their own unique abilities and traits.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

The Bionicle insert in the latest Lego Magazine explained that, actually. The Protectors have, over the course of generations, used the elemental powers in their masks to shape the island to suit their needs. Thus, each elemental tribe ended up partitioning off a section of the island and tailoring it according to their own unique abilities and traits.

Wow, this is a cool detail. It also indicates that the villagers may not be native to Okoto.

It reminds me of another place...

planet_stars_new_small_gloss.jpg

• Upvote 1