Scariest game ever?

Air Control So far the game that has scared me most is SCP Containment Breach. With the sheer number of SCPs to watch out for, one will always catch you off guard. Special mentions also go to the Amnesia games and their custom stories, particularly The Dark Descent and When Life no Longer Exists, which were really unnerving. Also a special mention to the FNAF games, especially 2, for being so unnerving (even if they are a bit jumpscare reliant, the atmosphere sells it and the vague story that starts taking shape is very disturbing) and to Slender: The Arrival for so much adult horror concerning Charlie Matheson Jr, CR and Kate. Also to the Half-Life games for being scary in the psychological and action horror department. Bonus points for the part in Half-Life 2, chapter Water Hazard, where after destroying the Hunter-Chopper you go to open the dam (or rather a big enough part of it to go through) to proceed to Black Mesa East. At this point I felt like this was the calm before the storm (I was expecting an ambush at Black Mesa East) so I just took in the beautiful scenery. Then I saw someone looking at me in the distance. It was the G-Man. Once I looked, he left. After that I kept feeling like I was being watched, which turns out I was because I entered the first shed still thinking about the G-Man which allowed the Combine soldiers inside to get the drop on me.

I'd probably say P.T. on PS4, if only for the fact that walking through the same hall over and over, with only minor changes happening each time, makes for a really creepy atmosphere.

I wouldn't call it "scary", per se, (although I don't really find any horror games all that scary), but I'd definitely put it at the top of my "Creepy Games I've Played" list.

• Upvote 1

The Evil Within is so terrifying. I can't even begin to start on how horrible it is...

I tried playing this game because it was so massively hyped up and I don't feel it at all. I finished the first part in the asylum which was kind of interesting, despite being so wierd, and then took the ambulance ride. The next portion of the game just totally lost me. It's entirely linear, not even remotely scary and it has zombies for no reason. Call them what you want but they're zombies... I guess that's what one shoudl expect from the mind behind resident evil but I just found it utterly boring and unintuitive. There wasn't a single fright in it for me so I put it down and that's that :P

Really though, I can't think of any games that are scary. I know lots of them are meant to be scary and I certainly won't say they don't make me jump like a scratched record but that's a cheap trick that's overused in movies and games alike these days. There's nothing truly scary in media anymore as it's all been done so many times before. Everytime something like The Evil Within comes along and claims to be 'Horror Redefined' I get super excited and have to try it out. It's the same sound track driven, story-lite, jump fright affair every time though. 

And on that note I actually agree with Toaman. If everything is about jump-frights these days then nothing does it better than a creeper when you think you're safe!!!

Check out my Bionicle store on Bricklink here!

> > > Bionic Bricks < < <

Let me know if you can help me find these last few collectibles!

Masks%20footer4_zpspqs4myrt.png

Also looking for WILD KRAATA and a VMKK Yo!!!

• 1 month later...

Probably SCP: Containment Breach. Not only is the game terrifying, but pretty much anything on the wiki is not only scary, but a good read. Much of the scare in the game comes from the uncertainty of what exactly you are doing. For example:

Yes, that closed door should keep SCP-173 at bay! But where is everything else? Oh well *walk around for a little while* WHOA SPOOKY SCP-106 POCKET DIMENSION 

OqAhaVh.gif   qIprtVB.png     

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Bionicle G1 continuation and video-game project(MUSIC COMPOSER)  
special thx to Inary the Gunhaver for my new username. 

It's not entirely scary, but the first two Oddworld games (specifically Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee). How detailed everything is while being made out of 2D pixels and the overall dark atmosphere really sets the mood. Industrialists are trying to turn your race into meat products, and don't forget being chased by nightmarish animals: being chased by a Scrab (animal with four crab legs being attached to a muscularly fit human torso and buff neck, and the head being a long upward crescent-shaped beak, all being eyeless; are loners and shred each other with their shard beaks and legs when they find one another) makes you want to run faster then anything else; or worse, running the the deepest darkest parts of Paramonia right through the Paramite nests (spider-like, with having a mostly-hairless round body, long, sharp, chipped fingernails as feet , and their heads were thin bony hands with two thumbs, the palm being the actual mouth, all the finger-like appendages also ending in long chipped fingernails; very wolf like and they deceive you when alone and hunt veraciously in packs). They crawl out of every corner, and if you make one wrong move or stall for less then 2 seconds they will all pounce at you and begin to eat you. Both test your nerves, but I find the Paramites to be more scary as I found it was more heart pounding.

The second game was also scary at times, but I guess it doesn't have the same feel as the first one (activate nostalgia goggles!).

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Spherus Magna redo | Tzais-Kuluu  |  Pushing Back The Tide  |  Last Words  |  Black Coronation  | Blue Man Bound | Visions of Thasos   ن

We are all but grey specks in a dark complex before a single white light

The Duplo Train game :|

...Seriously though, it's probably Minecraft [:P] It's an absolute nightmare when you're not used to the terrain, or when you're not equipped properly, or when you're fighting the enderdragon with only three arrows left (have done, and I won [:P]). When you get used to the game it's a lot better, though [:P]

cLT23Pz.png

I have always been a fan of the atmosphere of Silent Hill 2, and I am reserving my excitement for Silent Hills. PT was an interesting concept but it is still lacking that special "rust and meat" feel of the series.

I can't wait to watch other people play it.

Bioshock gets an honorable mention from me because while the gameplay is in no way shape or form scary (see: Deadspace), the world in which the game exists had so much potential to be a perfect horror game.

Edited by Makaru

20383310448_7d514f8ffa.jpg

Spoiler Alert

Whoa, no one called for Dead Space. I mean, seriously. It gets your pants wet. On the first run, at least. The more you play it, once you know what to expect, it just becomes tension. "Just". Whatever. 

Ah yes, Dead Space. A lot of people say it's not scary at all, but I swear, screenshots of that game give me chills. The med bay when you're quarantined with the regenerating guy and a bunch of other Necromorphs...shudder

IetTsFQ.png

Sonic '06. Yeah, I brought that up. Look at any piece of gameplay footage and you'll see how terrifying that game really is.

Minecraft. When I am mining and a creeper just blows up behind me it jumpscares me so bad I am like frozen in my chair for a minute XD.

Deep down, Minecraft terrifies me. I remember this one time, I was surprised by an exploding Creeper, and I swear, I pull my hands away from the controls and do some kind of jazz hands thing while making a weird face and doing this scream that sounded like, "Wuaaaaaaaaaagh." I couldn't control my body for those two seconds. :D

Minesweeper. Every time I click one of those squares, my throat lumps up and I get all shaky. If there's a bomb then you know I'll be screaming, either way the suspense is incredible.

That is the best description of Minesweeper ever.

mindeth the cobwebs

Whoa, no one called for Dead Space. I mean, seriously. It gets your pants wet. On the first run, at least. The more you play it, once you know what to expect, it just becomes tension. "Just". Whatever. 

Ah yes, Dead Space. A lot of people say it's not scary at all, but I swear, screenshots of that game give me chills. The med bay when you're quarantined with the regenerating guy and a bunch of other Necromorphs...shudder

Yeah, when I'm in that part I'm always messed up, trying to run, bashing onto the walls and OH DANG HOW DID IT GET HERE

Just to make it clear...you played it or not?

Yeah, when I'm in that part I'm always messed up, trying to run, bashing onto the walls and OH DANG HOW DID IT GET HERE

Just to make it clear...you played it or not?

Yeah, it is one of my favorite games. I've played through the first game like five times, and the third game once. Never could get through the second game though, I always lose interest half way through...

IetTsFQ.png

I'd definitely say Dead Space is up there, though I can't even watch Let's Plays of P.T. without screaming.

• Upvote 1

itachieye9dq.gif
Rest in Peace, Joey Powers! I'm sorry that I didn't have the chance to get to know you!
pohatubanner.png
Credit to ~Nausicaa~ for the second banner.
If you created the first banner, please come forward so I can give you credit.

Dead Space is definitely pretty scary (I still remember the adrenaline surge I got when I was going through one area and there was some random scream). I think scariest (at least with the games I've played) goes to Amnesia: The Dark Descent, however. Not only is it just straight up terrifying (I hate the sewers), it is also deeply disturbing. Some of the stuff that went on in that place...

My epic: For Them (Review Topic)

BZPRPG: Trauer and Faora

Bionifight Ultimate: Daedalus Drachoren and Von Worten Undtränen

The Elder Scrolls: Ashfall: K'Larn

• 3 weeks later...

I'm glad people are saying PT and I didn't just overreact to the jump scare. I mean, I've tried a lot--Amnesia (Dark Descent and Machine for Pigs), Penumbra, Silent Hill 1-3, Nanashi No Game, Slender, Five Nights 1/2/3, basically all the indie RPG maker stuff out there (Yume Nikki and such)--but nothing actually made me shriek like PT did. Maybe it's the realism of the graphics or how it's a lot more subdued than other Silent Hills games but it's so frightening to me. I'm really excited for Silent Hills, hopefully it will be full of scares.

Honorable mention goes to Ao Oni. It might not be beautiful or high budget but that blue guy doesn't look right.

Neverending Nightmare, a game you've likely never heard of. The premise is that you are a man wandering through a mansion, searching for his sister. Though you can be killed by the environment or the occasional monster, most of your deaths will be gruesomely self-inflicted.

Stop It, Slender! is only scary sometimes, depending on the skill of whoever is playing as the eponymous Slender Man. When that person is you, though, it's very, very entertaining in a not-scary way.

Back for a nostaliga trip, I guess.